2 [4.55%]
1 [2.27%]
6 [13.64%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interactive Poll: Your Boat Is Burning!
    Posted: May 09 2021 at 17:51
Note: I am posting early as I have some time now to set this up. So, no rush if you are still going through the previous poll. And as always, newcomers, as well as those who have been away from the polls, are welcome! (And thanks to Mike (TCat) as I borrowed from his post for the rules.)

To go with the previous poll on “water,” this poll is on “fire”!

The songs can be vocal or instrumental. They must not be from artists in the ProgArchives database. Other than that, the only rule is that the songs be somehow connected to fire, allowing for figurative as well as literal meanings of fire. 

Your love (or house) can be on fire, burning like a flame, too hot to handle, or whatever other cliché you like. Imaginary bonus points if your is song is literally about fire.

For those that are new to these interactive polls (they are open to everyone), here are the rules:

1. Post some songs (usually 3) that have to do with the subject in the poll. Unless stated otherwise, the songs cannot be by artists listed in ProgArchives and typically should be lesser known songs.

2. Listen to the songs posted by the other participants and, if you want to, post comments. 

3. From the songs that you posted, pick one that you want everyone else to vote on and tell us all which one you picked.  

4. After about a week, we will open up voting. DO NOT VOTE AT ALL UNTIL THE POLL IS OPEN! At this time, vote on your favorite three songs that are not your own and preferably not songs that you were already familiar with.

5. List the songs that you voted for and leave a comment if you want about why you voted for them. 

6. Keep all your comments polite and non-personal. It's the music we're voting on, not the members.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Everyone is invited and we are always happy to have newcomers join in.

First up is a song from an artist that has been mentioned before, Type O Negative. This is listed as two tracks on their album “Bloody Kisses” but the first track segues into the other as one track. The first half is a dirge-like cover the Seals and Croft song, “Summer Breeze.” It then goes into “Set Me On Fire,” which, I believe to be literal given the band’s skewed sense of humor. A video was available that put the two songs together as they should be.

Type O Negative – Summer Breeze / Set Me On Fire

Next up is “Danger! High Voltage” from Electric Six’s debut album “Fire.” All songs have some fire reference. The secondary lead vocals is by Jack White.

Electric Six – Danger! High Voltage

I have posted a track by Banco de Gaia before. One of the few techno artists that I listen to. This one is from his 2016 album “The 9th of Nine Hearts.” Cool video.

Banco de Gaia – Burn The Witch

Finally, may be too well know to some of you, and some of you might recall this from “Goodfellas,” but one of my favorite “fire” songs.

Harry Nilsson – Jump Into The Fire

Edited by mathman0806 - May 23 2021 at 13:54
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2021 at 18:27
Great topic Geo and an excellent follow up to water!  Now to start putting some songs together. 

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2021 at 18:52
Ok, only three this time, PROMISE !

Sebastian Cortella/Eric Serra - Heat

J. Geils Band - Flamethrower

Boston - Smokin'

Edited by JD - May 09 2021 at 19:40
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2021 at 00:18
I really enjoyed participating last time, so here I am again with three songs:

1. Billy Joel - 'We Didn't Start the Fire (Not necessarily my style but very infectious and up-tempo, so it gets my #1 position today)

2. The Prodigy - 'Firestarter' (recently covered by Robert Fripp, Toyah Wilcox, and Sidney Jake)

3. Audioslave - 'Original Fire' (How about a little brilliant vocals by Mr Chris Cornell)

4* For the ones that might want to hear it, here's the Toyah & Fripp cover of 'Firestarter' (do not consider it for the interactive poll):

Edited by A Crimson Mellotron - May 10 2021 at 00:19
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2021 at 02:58
Nice poll idea! (I have the impression we're going to do the 4 elements...). I actually have to do some correction work of student papers, but procrastinating... So, I already started listening - let's immediately start the hostilities...:

mathman: Type O Negative with Summer Breeze / Set Me On Fire, two for the price of one. I actually like the second part of the song better, but they match well together to convey something broodingly darkish. I'm not a fan of that heavy guitar wall sound, nor of the monotonous rhythm, but it's not that unpleasant at all. Ironic final... Danger! High Voltage by Electric Six starts with a funky guitar riff, then adds a disco beat (because that's where the fire is) before turning in a quirky indie-rock song. Very silly lyrics and clip that matches the fun you hear in their playing. Not really my cup of tea, though. Banco de Gaia start with a ritualistic percussion in order to Burn The Witch, then electronics and a more rock tinged drumming set in and install is in a kind of electro/techno rock track; quite nice! (makes me think a bit of what Chris Evans & David Hanselmann did in the early 80s). I do not really remember the Harry Nilsson track (despite the fact that I have seen the film several times). Jump Into The Fire has a dramatic sense (especially in the singing) and an urge in the playing, but somehow it doesn't really touch me. Great drum interlude though, later joined by a rollicking bass, at 4 mins in...

JD: I don't have many soundtracks, but this is one I do have, because I quite like what Eric Serra does (also quite like his solo album RXRA, check it out!). The problem with soundtracks for me is often that without the film, something is missing; Heat is not an exception - on one hand it is a bit monotonous, and on the other hand a bit too short (now, is that a paradox?). J. Geils Band's Flamethrower, is quite a busy funky track; not quite my preferred genre. It is entertaining in a way, but a bit too busy to my liking. Boston, haha, that's funny... I played that album just yesterday after a very long time, more to check out if it was really worth while (I also have their Third Stage "No synthesizers!" album...) They did some good tracks, like Smokin' here, but overall their work is a bit dull and too straight forward. Great rock 'n roll (but a whole album becomes soon too much of the same...).

A Crimson Mellotron: One of Billy Joels hits! I quite like some of his work: great melodies, good singing, captivating songwriting. We Didn't Start The Fire is more mainstream disco-pop rock, far from being his best work, but nice to hear again! The Prodigy attack their song with a kind of aggressive alarm on the guitar before a very tight and fast rhythm underpins everything, including the Firestarting rap and some electronics. Not really my kind of thing (the Toyah/Fripp cover is big fun!). Audioslave's Original Fire doesn't sound that original to me - a bit mainstream - but it is a great rocking track, very captivating. Like that guitar gimmick (as if it's laughing...) at one point. My preferred one of your suggestions.

Now I'm going to look for some fire in my collection...

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2021 at 03:12
My first submission, from a soundtrack! I love the film, and I love Lila Downs' music and singing. She did much of the soundtrack for the wonderful film Frida (a biopic about Frida Kahlo). Here Lila Downs teams up with the world famous Caetano Veloso. The music is written by Elliot Goldenthal, the lyrics by Julie Taymor.

Caetano Veloso & Lila Downs - Burn It Blue:

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2021 at 03:21
It's a pity we can't use any bands included on PA, because my avatar would have been perfect for this poll Wink! However, this poll is also a great opportunity for some hard rock/heavy metal picks (apologies in advance to those who are not into the heavier side of music). So, let's start with an absolute classic, and one of the best album openers ever - Judas Priest's Rapid Fire":

Next up, the title-track of Riot's outstanding third album, "Fire Down Under":

Last but not least, The Cult's "Fire Woman":

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2021 at 03:44
Quote 2. The Prodigy - 'Firestarter'
That was the first one that came to my ind, too.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2021 at 03:58
My second suggestion, impossible not to put it up... When you hear/read the lyrics, you get the impression that it was inspired by September 11, 2001, but the album was actually released exactly on that date... Very premonitory...

Noir Désir - Le grand incendie (The Big Fire)

(English translation of the lyrics here)

nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2021 at 04:32
Fire is a far more popular topic than water, and I can loads of possibilities spring to mind without me even putting any thought into it.

The first to come to mind is one that is probably in the front of my mind due to hearing it more recently, but certainly still worth sharing, I think.

Five the Hierophant - Fire From Frozen Cloud

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2021 at 04:41
Feu d'artifice by Claude Debussy:
...amd Stravinsky also has one:
Two of my absolute favourite composers fascinated by fireworks.

Edited by Lewian - May 10 2021 at 04:43
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2021 at 04:46
If we are talking classical music, this one shouldn't be forgotten - Ritual Fire Dance by Manuel de Falla:

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2021 at 06:16

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2021 at 06:44
Nice start. Some good variety, and most amazing thing is that all videos posted so far, play for me!
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2021 at 06:56
^I believe we are exposed to the depths of the Romanian rock scene, as presented by Cristi. Some pretty good suggestion on the previous poll, hope these can hold up. Wink
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2021 at 07:13
Mana Mana - Totuus palaa is title track from the Finnish cult band's only proper album and translates best as "truth is burning". Band leader Jouni Mömmö was a tormented soul who spent a lot of time in mental hospital and died young. This will most likely be my nomination for the poll but I'll confirm that when it's time. 

ZZ Top - Master Of Sparks is my favourite track from them. See here for the story behind the song. 

Meat Puppets - Lake Of Fire is better known as Nirvana's cover version from their MTV unplugged album.

Faster, harder, Scooter!

nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2021 at 08:40
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Fire is a far more popular topic than water, and I can loads of possibilities spring to mind without me even putting any thought into it.

The first to come to mind is one that is probably in the front of my mind due to hearing it more recently, but certainly still worth sharing, I think.

Five the Hierophant - Fire From Frozen Cloud

Mikko Joensuu - House of Fire

Yama Warashi - Set Fire to the Village

Obligatory NZ selection for 🇳🇿🥝 NZ Music Month 🥝🇳🇿
The Veils - Sit Down by the Fire

Pil & Bue - Fire

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2021 at 08:55
I spoke too soon. The Veils does not play for me. Is this the same if it plays for you?

3:53

Tancos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tancos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2021 at 09:06
Some early psychedelia from Scriabin: "Flammes sombres"

and "Vers la flamme." (The music begins about 52 seconds into the video if you want to skip the chatter.)

And some Catholic psychedelic synth folk: a nun, a keyboard and a reverb unit in 1976.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2021 at 09:29
^ I was thinking about that Sister Irene song too.

I'll Fire these four shots across the bow:

Mandy More - "If Not By Fire"

Mandingo - "Black Fire"

Franco Micalizzi - "Fire in the Garage"

Harumi - "Fire by the River"

That last one I considered for the last poll.

EDIT: I put up another vid of Mandy More, as the one I had used was quite scratchy.

Edited by Logan - May 10 2021 at 11:30
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>