Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rainer Landfermann for Tech/Extreme

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Folk/Eclectic/PSIKE/Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rainer Landfermann for Tech/Extreme
    Posted: May 13 2021 at 19:00
Rainer Landfermann is an extreme progressive metal artist based in Bonn, Germany, known for his nimble bass work in technical death metal band Pavor and his inimitable vocals on black metal group Bethlehem's seminal LP Dictius Te Necare. Landfermann independently released his solo album Mein Wort in deiner Dunkelheit in 2019, a jazz and classical-informed style of avant-garde black metal with abstract lyrics regarding human relationships and the appreciation and loss of beauty. Landfermann, responsible for composition, guitarwork and programming, is accompanied by several guest musicians, including his brother Robert on double bass, fellow Pavor bandmates Michael Pelkowsky and Armin Rave on drums and guitar respectively, Jonas Burgwinkel on drums and Pablo Held on piano.

Landfermann's voice alone has been compared to avant-prog icons Diamanda Galás and John Zorn, and his album will appeal to followers of Sigh, Arcturus, Ihsahn, Solefald, Dødheimsgard, Silencer and even Devil Doll.

"Mein Wort in deiner Dunkelheit" (2019)

Edited by Gordy - May 17 2021 at 02:13
Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2021 at 17:01
Gentle bump

This tears my face off - some of the finest tonal screaming this side of Devin Townsend and Neurosis.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2021 at 18:13
Bandcamp link:  Rainer Landfermann (bandcamp.com)

Forwarded to the PM team.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2021 at 18:24
His cool name alone should get him in.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2021 at 18:57
At least it's not one of those names like Barfbag Wilson or something.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2021 at 19:04
Amen to that.

Edited by SteveG - May 19 2021 at 19:04
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2021 at 18:39

Rainer Landfermann added to experimental/post metal..

TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2021 at 18:46
I must say that if you can prepare yourself for the vocals here, that this is some of the most original avant-metal I've heard.  Definitely up there with some of Zorn's and Driver's music which is why he belongs in Experimental Metal.

Edited by TCat - June 05 2021 at 18:48

Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2021 at 00:10
Thanks Mike, really glad you liked it. The first and last few songs never fail to give me chills.

I humbly ask though if you could alter the bio, which now reads "LANDFERMANN's voice alone has been compared to avant-prog icons Diamanda GALAS and his music to that of John ZORN." I was unclear in the original, but what I inferred was Landfermann's vocals were compared to Zorn's alto sax (which made sense, considering the heaviest moments of Naked City).

Edited by Gordy - June 06 2021 at 00:12
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2021 at 08:59
Originally posted by Gordy Gordy wrote:

Thanks Mike, really glad you liked it. The first and last few songs never fail to give me chills.

I humbly ask though if you could alter the bio, which now reads "LANDFERMANN's voice alone has been compared to avant-prog icons Diamanda GALAS and his music to that of John ZORN." I was unclear in the original, but what I inferred was Landfermann's vocals were compared to Zorn's alto sax (which made sense, considering the heaviest moments of Naked City).

Good change.  I added in "Zorn's music" because before it seemed to be referring to Zorn's vocals, and he doesn't sing but usually incorporates many different vocalists when he uses them.  But it really makes sense to compare his vocals to the alto sax.  Change completed.

Post Reply Post Reply