Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Genesis vs Rush

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: Which band do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
52 [59.09%]
26 [29.55%]
6 [6.82%]
4 [4.55%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Genesis vs Rush
    Posted: September 28 2021 at 08:35
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Both petered out after the mid 80s, but a few of the early Genesis albums are classics like CTTE by Yes, and ItCotCK by KC. So, it's Genesis!
Don't know about that.....usually when a band releases albums that do not sell well, the tours can lag. Both bands still toured big into the 90s, with Rush taking the touring trophy of the two. Rush tours became bigger and bigger each time. All those 90's albums are Gold status, heck even Rush Vapor Trails peaked at #6 on US Billboard 200.

I have to agree. Rush hardly petered out after the mid 80s. 
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2021 at 08:28
Rush for me.

Over the last 10 years or so though I have come to really appreciate and enjoy pre-Abacab Genesis.
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2021 at 08:06
As Rush are a second order group (i.e. they recorded after the start of the progressive movement) then they have no comparison to Genesis, who were innovators.  Thus, Rush had reference points relating to extant bands and recordings (arguably Genesis did too, The Nice, Rare Bird etc. but prog was in its infancy).  Rush chose to debut with a straight ahead rock album in 1974 and then matured into (mainly) sophisticated hard rock.
Umeda View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Umeda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2021 at 07:43
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

^I mean, maybe they're referring to the three-man lineup of Genesis, haha. Must be the one with Ray Wilson right????

Definitely not LOL
Not for rent. To any God or government.
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2021 at 00:38
^I mean, maybe they're referring to the three-man lineup of Genesis, haha. Must be the one with Ray Wilson right????
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2021 at 13:25
^That's odd, I didn't see ELP on the list. LOL
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Umeda View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Umeda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2021 at 12:38
A vote for the best trio ever
Not for rent. To any God or government.
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2021 at 10:35
At this very moment, Rush.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2021 at 09:37
Genesis, even though I bought four Rush CD albums yesterday. Smile
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2021 at 09:34
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Both petered out after the mid 80s, but a few of the early Genesis albums are classics like CTTE by Yes, and ItCotCK by KC. So, it's Genesis!
Don't know about that.....usually when a band releases albums that do not sell well, the tours can lag. Both bands still toured big into the 90s, with Rush taking the touring trophy of the two. Rush tours became bigger and bigger each time. All those 90's albums are Gold status, heck even Rush Vapor Trails peaked at #6 on US Billboard 200.
Your talking about progressive rock albums from the 70s versus two prog rock acts into the 90's..Not much compares to CTTE and ItCOtKC.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2021 at 06:01
As much as I love all things Canadian, and certainly Rush exemplifies what a great Canadian rock band should sound like, I have to vote Genesis on this one.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2021 at 05:12

Edited by SteveG - September 27 2021 at 05:13
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2021 at 05:08
Rush (as an entire band)
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2021 at 02:50
Originally posted by OhioBrit OhioBrit wrote:

Hold on, Rush cite genesis as a strong influence in their music, and you can clearly hear Genesis in rush's music. Is this a reasonable comparison?

Oh well, Genesis hands down for me.

They've cited an influence but I can't hear it strongly in their music, especially up to and including 2112. The first time I heard Watcher of the Skies, that rhythm did make me think of Lamneth, I guess.

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2021 at 22:29
I started off with Rush in the late 70's, but then got in Genesis in the mid 80's (strictly the 70's albums).

Genesis has stood the test of time better than Rush, for me. Even decades later, I still listen to classic Genesis, whereas I rarely ever listen to Rush.

I do have one fondness for Rush, as I got to play a lot of their songs in two bands I used to be in (which was a lot of fun). Used to have a Rickenbacker 4001 bass too. Have never played any Genesis with a band though, sadly.

Edited by Boojieboy - September 26 2021 at 22:34
OhioBrit View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OhioBrit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2021 at 13:25
Hold on, Rush cite genesis as a strong influence in their music, and you can clearly hear Genesis in rush's music. Is this a reasonable comparison?

Oh well, Genesis hands down for me.
Lieutenant_Lan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lieutenant_Lan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2021 at 09:10
Genesis is one of my least favorite prog bands. Please dont hurt me. So im gonna vote for rush.
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Upbeat Tango Monday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2021 at 16:48
When it comes to Genesis, I love everything from Trespass up to (and including) Abacab.
Rush, on the other hand...let's say I really like them from Fly by Night to Hemispheres. Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures are ok. Yes, the crappiest albums from Genesis are worse than the worst Rush records, but if I were to pick the best 10 albums between both bands, Genesis would get an eight out of ten.
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2021 at 01:41
Tempted to say both equally. They are my two fave bands of all time, but I guess Rush can have the vote. Genesis at their very best slightly has the edge over Rush for me, but Rush didn't produce any rubbish in the 80's.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2021 at 16:43
I can listen to anything Rush did. Genesis however..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>