Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RIP Franco Battiato

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RIP Franco Battiato
    Posted: May 18 2021 at 02:17
Franco Battiato, iconic Italian songwriter, dies aged 76

Some grand stuff in those early albums. 

RIP 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2021 at 02:25
just shocked...
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2021 at 02:30
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

RIP 
In the linked article there's a big mistake: the single "Attenti al Lupo" was the crappiest song released by Lucio Dalla, nothing to do with Battiato. Lucia Dalla was a great jazzist and songwriter, but that song was his worst one (and as you can expect, a huge commercial success).
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2021 at 02:36
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

RIP 
In the linked article there's a big mistake: the single "Attenti al Lupo" was the crappiest song released by Lucio Dalla, nothing to do with Battiato. Lucia Dalla was a great jazzist and songwriter, but that song was his worst one (and as you can expect, a huge commercial success).

Sorry, this was the only confirmation article I could find in english. Embarrassed
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Guy Guden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guy Guden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2021 at 03:12
  SULLE CORDI DI ARIES & especially CLIC were important albums in the first years of SPACE PIRATE RADIO.  his version of LA MER was also a fave.
https://twitch.tv/guygudenspacepirateradio
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2021 at 03:31
Very sad news to wake up to, though not unexpected. It had been known for a while that Battiato was sick. I was lucky to see him live in Rome at the time he released his first "pop" album, the excellent L'era del cinghiale bianco. I knew him as a progressive artist, and was somewhat disappointed by what I believed to be a sell-out, so I was rather reluctant to go to the concert. Well, I can tell you that, when I came out of the theatre, I was converted. RIP Maestro Cry.

This wonderful article (a bit long, but very much worth it, even if you need to use Google Translate) was published today on the Italian newspaper I usually read: https://www.ilsole24ore.com/art/e-morto-cantautore-franco-battiato-aveva-76-anni-AEt7L1J
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2021 at 05:01
RIP
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2021 at 06:42
RIP
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2021 at 07:20
Hi,

I've come to grips with so many of the favorite things that we loved way back when, see the artist fall by wayside like we all surely will.

The best thing, is the nice bits and pieces that everyone says, and I specially like to say that without Guy Guden and his Space Pirate Radio show, I don't think that many of us would know or care about FB. On many of the shows I had on tape (saved to mp3's 20+ years ago!) ... the music showed and its far out addition and difference, helped the show be the ultimate that it already was, and still is ... though many here on PA would scream about the lot of so much music that doesn't fit the "progressive" ideal ... it's not a show about "progressive" ... it's a foreign/alien movie without the subtitles and you get as many distance voices and styles as you do music ... and the "difference" is the part that so many love dearly!

FB's albums (and I have like 5 or 6 of them) are special ... and fun to listen to. Sadly, listening to something that defies description and distinction as something like the odd ball "progressive" ... is simply not something that is worthy of a discussion at PA other than when the artist dies ... and as sad as it has been for a long time ... you get better known and remembered when you're dead!

Such is life ... that we can not even celebrate it properly. But I can tell you that hearing this in 1974 and 1975 on Guy's show was very special indeed ... 
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2021 at 07:39

I see now this thrad. I post here what I've posted in the thread I've opened.

Franco Battiato: E ti vengo a cercare (from Fisiognomica, 1987)

Nanni Moretti: Palombella Rossa

"Happiness is real only when shared"
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2021 at 16:02
RIP
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2021 at 16:54
Wonderful musician. One of my favorites in fact. I’ll miss him.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Olape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2021 at 17:27
What...? So sad news. 

RIP Battiato
peskypesky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peskypesky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2021 at 03:06
VERY sad news. His early albums are absolute GENIUS!

It breaks my heart to hear this news.  

RIP
Prog fan since 1974.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2021 at 09:06
Sad to hear the terrible news. May he rest in peace.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2021 at 09:27
RIP, thanks much to Paco, Raff and PA in general for introducing this wonderful artist to me.  I did not know he was ill.

I'm not an expert on his work but I love "Caffe de la Paix" from his "pop" era
Un Amico View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Un Amico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2021 at 20:27
Don't care much for his early and supposedly avant-garde stuff...but I think his later, pop stuff was brilliant, at least in the conceptual sense. The idea of a shiny, sleek kind of pop music with lyrics that were at the same time appealing and challenging created a sort of 'pop without guilt' sense in the listener. Battiato made Zappa and KC fans sit up and listen. Brilliant.
 Post Reply Post Reply