0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [8.70%]
1 [4.35%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2021 at 17:59
I'm a fan of Chiwetel Ejiofor and Elba ...but from the list I like Washington, Poitier, Freeman, Jackson, Fishburne,  and others.

Edited by dr wu23 - May 27 2021 at 18:01
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2021 at 22:47
Samuel Jackson's da man!  I like a bunch of them really.  Glover, Whitaker, Cuba Gooding Jr, Foxx, Murphy and yes Denzel though less so than the others. And Chris Tucker for pure comedy.
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2021 at 06:22
Some may not know the name Paul Winfield from his many movie appearances but more might know him from his two Star Trek series appearances.

Many consider this episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation ("Darmok") to be one of the best of the entire Star Trek:TNG 7 seasons.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2021 at 06:31
Worst black actor: Billy Dee Williams.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2021 at 07:41
Sidney Poitier, but a shout out to Idris Elba and Paterson Joseph (https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0430667/)
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2021 at 03:34
I was almost sure Morgan Freeman would steal the race. Poitier is good, but he was a pioneer and faced no competition

BTW, I don't know half the names on this list. Confused

Edited by Sean Trane - May 29 2021 at 03:35
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2021 at 04:21
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

I was almost sure Morgan Freeman would steal the race. Poitier is good, but he was a pioneer and faced no competition

BTW, I don't know half the names on this list. Confused
Shame on you! You must spend the rest of the weekend listening to Godspeed You! Black Emperor as penance.

Edited by SteveG - May 29 2021 at 04:24
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2021 at 08:37
Mickey Mouse Wink
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2021 at 09:11
Also if one are after pure badass and gruff one does not gett rougher then Ving Rhames, oke of the 90s tough guyss. Spessialy vissable in Con Air
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2021 at 16:33
Was disappointed to not see Cleavon Little, Richard Pryor, Scatman Crothers, or Tim Reid on this list!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2021 at 08:43
Hi,

I can't decide on this at all ... I have never thought of actors as black, white, green or blue. They are all actors and they all do different things, and in the end, it is about the work, and not the color.

However, I will agree that too many film studios favored some folks over others (they did the same with music since they owned all publishing companies!!!) ... and this ended up adding to the history of the separation of colors ... anything to "separate" people and make matters worse in every way.

Actors and artists are what/who they are and color is not an issue for me, and never has been. 
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2021 at 09:55
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

As far Black actresses go Sanaa Lathan is another that's impressive and never gets the meaty roles that she deserves. And she's as cute as a button too.

Oh hello. She gets my vote. But from the list I voted for Eddie Murphy. If this was 30 years ago I think he'd have a lot of votes.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2021 at 14:15
I've seen some amazing performances from Djimon Honsou (Amastad, In America), and Denzel, Danny Glover, Jamie Foxx, Morgan Freeman, Forest Whitaker, Samuel L., Sidney Poitier, and most of the others, but I think Chadwick Bozeman, Mahershala Ali, and Chiwetel Ejiofor are even better.

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2021 at 07:14
Hi,

I can't get my head around this thread as it scares me. However, one thing I like to see is folks try different things and I enjoy seeing some of these folks take on Shakespeare, as much as I like to see some of them do the likes of Shaft and other characters.

Reminds me of the film POSSE (1993 Mario Van Peebles), which is grossly unappreciated and is excellent with outstanding performances all around, and sadly, will continue to be ignored, and it was designed, not to be a "western copy" but a show case for many of the actors, that could also do something that the "white" (gosh how I hate differentiating people like that !!!!!!!) folks did all the time, and do it just as well and/or better.

AND, on top of it all Mario is the son of a man that is on the history books in black film history in many universities, something that most of us will not relate to a whole lot or ever get to see. There were some neat film makers there, but today, the touch is on the actors, not the directors that also deserved the mention.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123