Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your lowest rated reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your lowest rated reviews
    Posted: May 27 2021 at 23:49
Not trying to be negative here, indeed I find it interesting to read low rated reviews of albums that I love.  I am interested in reading what people like and don't like about albums, and trying to get into their headspace from their words. I'm not so interested in reading reviews of low rated albums that I don't like because if I don't like an album I already know then I'm rarely interested to read a review to begin with.  I haven't written many reviews cause I don't think I'm good at it and prefer discussion-based writing (well, I used to love to write stories for my own enjoyment).  Of course taste is subjective, so just because one doesn't like an album doesn't make it bad or mean that others should all not try it and appreciate it.  To each his or her own.

I haven't rated anything less than three stars as I only focus on music that I enjoy and would not enjoy reviewing music that doesn't appeal.  I also would like to have listened to the album a good many times before reviewing it, and I'd rather put such time into listening and re-listening to albums that I enjoy heartily or at least that intrigue and I appreciate on some level.  I would also find it hard to review, or even just rate, an album that I don't feel I really "get", is too far out of my comfort zone, and is a style which I am not very accustomed to -- the right reference/comparison points are important to me.  Others take different approaches, vive la difference.

I hope alongside with sharing reviews, this can turn into an interesting discussion even as we write about our differences. We can disagree while still appreciating that different people have different perspectives.

Here are my only two three star reviews, both albums I enjoyed very much and I don't think that either will be very controversial:

Comus - TO Keep From Crying

3 stars To Keep From Crying might just be the antidote some of you need from the dirtiness you feel from having listened to "Drip Drip".

If I were the tearful type, I'd say that all the disdain this album gets has barely kept me from crying. I wish more people would join the light side of Comus while still appreciating the dark side. Not only do I think that this album does not get enough respect from those who love First Utterance, but I wish that it got more attention from those who hate Comus based on the rather dark and disturbing, pagan themed conceptual album called First Utterance.

To Keep From Crying is a fun and I think dynamic album that I have recommended to various people who loathe Comus because of First Utterance, and while none of my attempts have so far worked, you can't Keep me From Trying. It's not necessarily that I think that they will like this album, but I want to show people that there is another gentler and happier side to the group. I hear Comus called by people who are not referring to the first album specifically but to the group generally, disturbing, gross, vile, soul destroying and gut wrenching. Generally these people have no familiarity with To Keep From Crying and so it doesn't even factor into their views of the band -- it's like the album doesn't even exist since it's so overshadowed by its sinister older sibling. But beyond that, I look at First Utterance in much the same way as watching a horror film or reading a horror novel.

First Utterance has a concept, and a creepy one at that. I think some who could easily take watching a film that has such themes and would not assume that the filmmaker is someone who condones brutal behavior have a harder time with music that deals with the same subject matter. Like lyrics are supposed to be authentic and heartfelt and not fictitious or something. Just because one writes about defiling a virgin in song, poem, novel or film does not mean that one condones the act, nor does listening to it or reading it mean that you condone it. And just because you tell a pagan story does not necessarily make you a pagan -- I mention this because some religious people are offended by it, and think it's Satanism. Sure, some might say that you're sick for being entertained by it or writing about it, but that's another angle. Incidentally, I think that the film The Wicker Man with its pagan themes works well with First Utterance (and I recommend the soundtrack to folk lovers who love pastoral music with creepy undertones). And no, I have not forgotten that I'm here to talk about To Keep From Crying, but it is hard not to compare it to First Utterance, and for me too when I first heard To Keep From Crying I couldn't help but compare it to the debut, and while I was pleasantly surprised by To keep From Crying because I had low expectations, it did seem on the whole a poor follow-up album. It's over the years that I've come to rate To Keep From Crying much more highly and think that it's a very good album in its own right.

So... some are highly critical of the band Comus based solely on First Utterance, while others are highly critical of To Keep From Crying based on their love of First Utterance. Comus is losing out either way. I think each is very good in its own way, and in the ways that they overlap since despite the differences, both albums have musical similarities.

Like the earlier Comus album, this album also has plenty of beauty and a level of eccentricity. Like with F.U. the vocals on To Keep from Crying will grate with some at times. Yes, this is not the acid folk masterpiece that First Utterance is, the direction has changed, but there's still plenty to love in this album. Some of the music on this album would not be musically out of place on F.U. To Keep From Crying is not a harrowing experience, nothing wrong with up-beat, and there is much for varied tastes to enjoy.

From the moment I heard this album I thought the songs "Children of the Universe" and "To Keep From Crying" absolutely terrific which mix beautiful folk with an electrifying rock dynamic, and have fabulous build-ups. Five star songs. Wonderful! I also loved "Touch Down", "Waves and Caves", and the bluesy "Get Yourself a Man" is for me a real treat. That's already most of the album, but I didn't like the rest of the album much. As the years passed I found that I really like the whole album, and I appreciate the contrasts in the album. There's more going on in this album than you might notice at first -- it's not some lame slice of commercial pap, though it is more commercial than F.U. It is a different beast. The To Keep From Crying beast wants to be played, cause to not play it would make it sad, but doesn't want to play, play, play with you in a most bestial manner.

For those that hear this album sl*g.ed by fans of First Utterance, and those that automatically dismiss Comus because of some songs on First Utterance (shame on those who can't appreciate the pastoral and rather creepy beauty of "The Herald" at least ;) ), please give the To keep From Crying album a chance before you judge the album based on what you've heard or before you judge the band harshly overall due to thematic perceptions.

I actually have this album on Song to Comus, and appreciate it even more there for how it contrasts with the music of First Utterance -- dark versus light. For those that don't have this or First Utterance, If you can get your hands on Song to Comus, that is better than getting this alone. The bonus tracks on that album alone are stunning, and you don't know Comus until you've heard "Winter is a Coloured Bird" and "All the Colours of Darkness".

The music on this album is utterly essential to my music collection, and I return to it very frequently. It's also one of those albums that I don't want to end, partially because it ends so wonderfully with the song "To Keep From Crying".

I rated it four originally, but am dropping that rating to three simply because I doubt that most here will feel the same way that I do about this album even if they do give it a chance.

Logan | 3/5 | 

Various Artists - Hamtaï! Hommage à la musique de Christian Vander

3 stars I would be very tempted to give this five stars if the rating was for "Essential: a masterpiece of tributes to Vander albums."

While I don't think this tribute to be an "excellent addition to any prog music collection" (nor would I say the same of original Magma albums, though I would say that having at least one Magma album is an excellent addition to any well-rounded prog collection, and "Theusz Hamtaahk" off Retrospektïw I-II would make my Zeuhl 101 class), I do think it would be a very excellent addition to every Christian Vander tribute-completist's collection (yes, absolutely essential to tributes-to-Vander completists I think I can safely say). So, while it's very good, but non-essential generally-speaking, I would like to give it four stars because it is a very good tribute album, and perhaps it should be judged compared to other tribute albums -- such as the New Kids on the Block's disappointing tribute to Menudo's Greatest Hits (particularly disappointing because the band never did one). But, since I think it could have been considerably better, I give it a strong three stars. Now that we have cleared that up, on to the music... at some time, no promises. In fact, this becomes much more essential because of the bands/artists that were involved. What a great list of acts. Now where was I?

I find myself returning to this like no other tribute album, which isn't saying much. I'm not a fan of tributes, generally. The first starts terrifically well with Koenjihyakkei's "Magma Medley". I only wish it was longer, but the brevity gives it more impact. It's such a quick journey. Koenjihyakkei is, in a way, the perfect band to cover Magma, as they are the Japanese successors to the Magma throne (Koenjihyakkei's "Angherr Shisspa" album is amongst the most essential of Zeuhl). It is an incredibly talented band.

All of the Magma personnel do terrific jobs, though perhaps not altogether quite so full of surprises as I would like. I love their performances, though -- some are real standouts.

Some tracks like "Om Zanka" are very well-executed, but lack sufficient twist on the original music -- more of a straight cover than an adaptation. These best ones commonly have more personality -- the band/ artist has put its own stamp on it. The "Kohntarkosz" one is very well done, but it really doesn't bring anything much new to the table (not surprising considering who did it). When you hear Kramus doing Magma, for instance, you would never think this was Magma. If Magma did sound like that, I wouldn't like Magma nearly so much (okay, maybe not at all), but it's fun and adds variety. Ad Vitam's "Morrison in the Storm" is beautiful. Klaus Blasquiz gives a terrific vocal performance of "De Futura". Troll's "Day after Day" is delightful. I find Disk 1 very good.

On to CD II. It starts off very well with Lockwood's contribution, and Kafka follow-up very nicely. John Trap's "Aurae" is a highlight; I really love it. It may be my favourite off the album. Then ex-Girl comes up with a surprising a Capella song (such a 'kawai' group, but this is serious, and seriously good). Gauthier comes up with a fabulous take on my favourite Magma track, "Theusz Hamtaahk". The rest is good too. "Nono" is as delightful as Troll's.

I do like the variety of bands/ artists when it comes to the music -- from Magma stalwarts, to other Zeuhl bands, to punk, to lounge, to metal, to pop.... That said, I don't think it's altogether that inspired. I feel like some are going through the motions. I would like more creativity and deeper re-imaginings, exploration of the themes. One can only imagine what Art Zoyd would have done with the music. Now that group would have had something to say. This could be more artistic, more exploratory, but it's enjoyable. It's rather shallow on the whole. It's good, but generally not insightful -- some needed to dig deeper down and re-invent the music. It's not really of consistent quality to my ears, either.

I am still wanting to give it four stars even though the adaptations/ covers on the whole are not quite as creative as I would like, because I find it a very enjoyable project even if not really profound. Maybe there aren't startling revelations, maybe it's not that spiritual or reaches sublime para-Magma heights, and maybe it doesn't give much greater understanding of Vander/ Magma, but it's good, and I think it a much better than average tribute album to a much better than average person. More variation on Vander themes would have been better, and more exploratory musical analysis of Vander/Magma would be preferable. What would have been really great is if all the bands had worked on a grand finale (thanks to technology, they wouldn't have to physically meet). Now that would be grand... followed by a special, original tribute to Christian Vander by Robert Wyatt. Even grander. And had, as already alluded to, "chamber prog" groups such as Art Zoyd contributed, I think its status would be elevated greatly as "art" -- not just something for the fans. Oops, does this now mean that I must lower my rating to two stars because this tribute album, like tribute albums commonly, is really intended for "collectors/fans only"? I won't because I think this would have appeal to more than Vander/Magma fans. It should interest those who enjoy the bands that contributed, and in some ways, this would be an easier introduction to the world of Magma than Magma itself (especially since there is variety in regards to the approaches to music and styles of the artists who contributed).

It's hard for me not to think of all the possibilities that could have elevated this (original material would be one as one can pay tribute to the music without doing covers), but hopefully I'll find many more tribute-to-Vander/Magma albums to sink my teeth into. Debbie Harry does Vander; hmm, maybe not.

All said, I still think this a wonderful tribute, and I love it. It really is very good (a superior tribute album) and mightn't be a bad introduction for some into the world of Vander.

Is this more homage or fromage, you be the judge.

For those that don't know it, I suggest listening to the samples at http://www.myspace.com/hamtai

-Greg

P.S. Vander iss de hundin!

Logan | 3/5 | 

Just a fanboy passin' through.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2021 at 00:42
I've never rated any album I've reviewed less than three stars either, but probably my most controversial review was for Hatfield & the North's Rotters' Club album.....

3 stars HATFIELD & THE NORTH were a two-album Canterbury Scene band, named after the well-known A1 Motorway sign on the Great North Road from London to Edinburgh. Their first eponymously-titled album passed by virtually unnoticed at the time of its release in 1974, but their second album "The Rotters' Club" (1975) is much better-known. The line-up for this second album featured Dave Stewart on keyboards, Phil Miller on guitar, Richard Sinclair on bass and lead vocals, Pip Pyle on drums, a 4-piece brassy horn section and a 3-piece female choir of Barbara Gaskin, Amanda Parsons & Ann Rosenthal, collectively named The Northettes.

The opening song "Share It" sounds strangely familiar, even upon first hearing. This upbeat jaunty Jazz-Rock number is very reminiscent of both Caravan and Camel. There's no doubting that Hatfield & the North are an English band from Richard Sinclair's clear-cut vocals, which sound as English as fish & chips. The obscure lyrics are a riddle wrapped in an enigma though, but that only adds to the quaint English charm of this catchy tune . Here's a brief opening taster of the lyrics:- "Tadpoles keep screaming in my ear, Hey there! Rotter's Club! Explain the meaning of this song and share it" ..... The bizarre meaning of this particular song will perhaps forever remain shrouded in mystery, when even the singer sounds baffled by the abstruse lyrics. And now for a little instrumental lounge music with "Lounging There Trying", which sounds like the kind of sophisticated improvisational Jazz you might listen to whilst coolly sipping a gin and tonic in a trendy cocktail lounge. There's no clue as to what the strangely-titled "(Big) John Wayne Socks Psychology on the Jaw" might be all about, because it's a brief 43 second instrumental, and the slightly discordant music bears little relation to the bizarre song title. This leads us into the even shorter "Chaos at the Greasy Spoon", which does indeed sound chaotic and a bit of a tuneless mess to be absolutely honest, so it's something of a blessed relief that it's less than half-a-minute long. Next up is "The Yes No Interlude" which is not so much an interlude, but more of an extended 7-minute instrumental jam session, where the musicians throw caution to the wind with gay abandon and let loose with some wild and improvisational Canterbury Scene Jazz. We're back to more familiar territory with "Fitter Stoke Has A Bath", which sounds like a typical lively Jazz-Rock song that Caravan might have recorded, although the meaning of the weird song title and lyrics are just as obscure as Hatfield & the North's instrumental numbers. Here's a brief example of the totally nonsensical lyrics:- "Bing billy bong - silly song's going wrong, Ping pong ping, clong cling dong, Tie me up, turn me on, Bing billy bang, Desperate Dan, frying pan, Cling clong cling, Bong bing bang, Michael Miles, Bogey man," ..... Yes indeed! Song lyrics don't come much sillier than that! They sound like the kind of wacky lyrics you might have heard in a typical Eurovision Song Contest entry from the 1970's. There's a return to some kind of normality - or whatever passes for normal in the bizarre musical world of Hatfield & the North - with "Didn't Matter Anyway". This is a gentle Caravan-esque song floating on a mellow wave of flute and delicate keyboards. It's the most approachable and easy-to-listen-to song on the album. You can just relax and let the worries and cares of the day slip away listening to this gorgeous insouciant song, because whatever might have been troubling you, it probably "Didn't Matter Anyway".

It's time now to don a dinner jacket and order a dry martini - shaken not stirred - for the Side Two opener "Underdub", because it's another pleasant cocktail lounge diversion to while away four minutes of spare time whilst waiting for your dinner date to arrive for the evening. And finally, we arrive at the 20-minute long suite "Mumps" to close out the album. The music is divided into four parts with the kind of weird and crazy titles that we've come to expect by now:- 1. "Your Majesty Is Like a Cream Donut (Quiet)"; 2. "Lumps"; 3. "Prenut"; 4. "Your Majesty Is Like a Cream Donut (Loud)". The Jazzy Canterbury Scene music is just as eccentric and off-kilter as the titles suggest, featuring another wild excursion into uncharted realms, occasionally sounding atonal and disjointed, but always unexpected and totally unpredictable. It's an endlessly complex arrangement that deserves to be listened to several times to truly appreciate the musical diversity on offer here.

"The Rotters' Club" is undoubtedly an essential album for fans of the Canterbury Scene sound, but it's not so essential for Prog-Rock fans generally. The album won't be to everyone's taste, because this is wild and improvisational Canterbury Scene music that's nowhere near as approachable and easy to listen to as the more melodic and harmonious sound of Caravan and Camel for instance. "The Rotters' Club" album is not for the uninitiated. If you've dipped your toes into the Canterbury Scene with Caravan, then Hatfield & the North by contrast are like jumping into the deep end. Their complex music veers more towards the Jazz Fusion end of the musical spectrum, than the more traditional British Jazz-Rock sound. On the other hand, if you're in the mood for some uninhibited and unrestrained Jazzy flights of fancy, then head on up the Great North Road to the sound of Hatfield & the North.

LakeGlade12 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LakeGlade12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2021 at 02:00
I have not looked at all the albums you rate as masterpieces, but here is one album almost everyone loves but does nothing for me. I wrote the review back in 2013 and honestly I think I would give it a lower score today (1.5 stars if it was an option). Like most other people I don't have the time or money to listen to music that I don't like. So most of my negative reviews either come from bands/albums that are huge in the Prog genre (see below), or from artists I am a fan of and expect better from them.

2 stars 1.8 Stars. Wish you lived up to your hype

Before I go into the main bulk of the review I just want to clarify a few things regarding my general opinion of Pink Floyd. I will admit that they are far from my favorite band, however they have released several masterful albums in their career such as DSOTM, Meddle and Animals, so I have no particular dislike for the band. When I got this album I was expecting it to be up to the same standard as the previously mentioned albums, but after numerous attempts to love this album its flaws have become increasingly apparent to me.

WYWH is a album which contains 2 main types of songs. The first type comes from the 2 title track epics that bookend the album. Part one begins with a very slow ambient instrumental which lasts about 4 minutes. Eventually the song begins to pick up pace and a electric guitar driven instrumental follows which while faster paced seldom goes beyond mid tempo. It is not until the 8th minute that vocals come in.

Now I don't have a problem with ambient music or slower instrumentals, the problem here is how uninspired they are. There is very little of the care and detail that was present in their previous album, so after several minutes of these 2 sections I get totally bored. It amazes me these were the same people that wrote On The Run which was full of texture and creative ideas, but the first 8 minutes here are nothing short of awful

The remaining 4 minutes are much stronger and worthy of the other masterpieces they have created. Here they create a incredibly catchy poppy track with a very strong sax instrumental. The problem is that part 2 of this song contains all the strong elements of this song including a far more diverse instrumental. Therefore the only part of this song that interests me is the sax instrumental which is not worth the 10 minutes of inferior music.

"Welcome to the machine" does to be fair have a good amount of interesting experimental sounds which add a lot of depth to the song. My problem with it is how unpleasant the song is in terms of mood to listen to and how painful Gilmore's vocals are. While a well written song it just comes across of 7 minutes of depression and bad vocals. Objectively this is a excellent song but subjectively I hate it passionately.

"Have a cigar" is for me just a very weak and unimaginative track. Most of it is a plain fast paced rock song with a run-of-the-mill instrumental at the end. Roy Harper takes the vocals, but as with the last song I still find the lyrics and singing irritating. I don't have a problem with negative songs, but it comes across here is spiteful and lacking in any real emotional depth.

The title track is the first song on the album I find to be quite good. There are some interesting sound snippits and unlike the last 2 songs the tone is warm and genuine. There is no Prog in this song but there is a very beautiful instrumental at the end of the song which perfectly leads to the final track.

Part 2 of WYWH is what saves this album from the dreaded 1 star rating. The central pop theme present in part 1 returns, except this time there is some impressive space rock instrumentals which follow on from each other very well.

There is a lot of subjective dislike to this album, but there is also some more objective problems. There is no logical connection at all between the title track elements and the other songs in the middle of the album. This makes this record sound very disjointed and gives the album a poor flow. There is also not as much detail or original ideas present on this album compared to Dark Side or Animals. And finally the subject matter in this album comes across as over the top complaining. I don't mind them stating the problems of the music industry, but to give such a hopeless and bleak picture is totally unnecessary and does not represent the real world.

There is very little for me to enjoy in this album. Its a mystery why this album is loved so much, but that is the nature of music. I doubt this review will change many people's opinion but I hope I have been able to justify why I see this as a low 2 star album.

nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2021 at 02:31
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I haven't rated anything less than three stars as I only focus on music that I enjoy and would not enjoy reviewing music that doesn't appeal.  I also would like to have listened to the album a good many times before reviewing it, and I'd rather put such time into listening and re-listening to albums that I enjoy heartily or at least that intrigue and I appreciate on some level.  I would also find it hard to review, or even just rate, an album that I don't feel I really "get", is too far out of my comfort zone, and is a style which I am not very accustomed to -- the right reference/comparison points are important to me.  Others take different approaches, vive la difference.

I am the same. While I understand why some people are happy to give lower reviews, it is not something I feel comfortable doing. The majority of my reviews are four stars, and I make no apologies for that. I don’t like to write a review if I can’t be positive about something, and I don’t like to write a review if I don’t really enjoy something, because that requires me to listen to it more. I’d rather spend time listening to something I enjoy, than listening to something I don’t just in order to write a negative review.

The following review for “Dissonant Minds” is probably as critical as I get. For me, personally, it’s closer to a two star album than a three, but trying to be more objective about it, I couldn’t give it less than three stars for PA.

Originally posted by “Dissonant Minds” - Fatal Fusion “Dissonant Minds” - Fatal Fusion wrote:

The last time I heard anything from Norwegian band Fatal Fusion was 2013's The Ancient Tale. It was sold to me as Dream Theater with Mellotron. It sounded to me, more like Rush with Alex choosing to play vintage keyboards. That's not necessarily a bad thing, by the way. However, what put me off the album, and why I guess I never really returned were the vocals, which were full of horribly cheesy affectations to my ears. Fatal Fusion began as a blues band, and that origin remained a part of the music of The Ancient Tale, with hints of Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Uriah Heep and Deep Purple. I guess this is why I tended to compare the music more to Rush than to Dream Theater. This year's album, Dissonant Minds, is far closer to Dream Theater than Rush, though. Well, perhaps a jazzy and psychedelic Dream Theater/Genesis hybrid, where Steve Hackett is on guitar, rather than John Petrucci.

The opening of the first track, Coming Forth by Day, attracted me more than anything on the whole of the previous album I had heard from the band (they have released another album in the interim, in 2016, but I've not listened to that). It's a strong opening, that bodes well, as I admit I took this album on for review with a little reluctance, knowing my previous experience with the band had not been entirely positive. As ever, the keyboards of Erlend Engebretsen are lush, and full of expression and emotion. I'm loving it. Some beautiful acoustic guitar from Stig Selnesin in the third minute, over a malevolent background hum. It's the threat within the music that has held my attention, and yet when all threat seems to evaporate in the fourth minute, I'm still with the song. And then the singing begins. But, you know, it's not as bad as I remember. In fact, I have no problem at all, until the chorus. The strained, rough sung chorus just doesn't work for me. The verses sound natural, and the chorus just sounds forced and fake, and as a result, cheesy to me. I wish Knut Erik Grøntvedt would stick to the singing style he uses for the verses, but that's just me. I'm sure there a legion of Fatal Fusion fans who love his way of singing. 

Still in song one, but it's a long one, which gives plenty of opportunity for some changes ? and I love the change around the ninth minute. It's the first time the drums of Audun Engebretsen have a chance to stand out and impress ? and impress they do, as the threatening tone returns for the first time, since the song began. Lasse Lie's bass joins in, and the rhythm section shine ? even as the other instruments soar over them. The vocals return, and again it sounds to me like Grøntvedt is attempting to sing in a voice that doesn't come naturally to him. But I have to reiterate, that as much as I have some difficulty with the vocals, it is nowhere as much of a problem for me as it was with a The Ancient Tale. The vocals are relatively sparse, and the music is strong. As the song begins to fade out, I am aware that I'm not really ready for it to end.

Lie and Engebretsen lead us into Quo Vadimus with some very nifty playing. I hate to say it, but again I'm loving the track, right up until the point where Grøntvedt starts singing. It's not bad, but I just wish he wouldn't use the gruff tone, when he sounds so good singing without it. With or without his singing, this song has a bit of a jazzy vibe that I really like, thanks largely to the rhythm section. Even when there's some bluesy guitar flying over the top, the beat keeps things from turning too blues. And, it's at this point that I realise ? of course, Grøntvedt is a blues singer. It's not that his vocals are forced, so much as they're forced into music they don't really fit into. Would I enjoy his gruffer vocals if they were in a different musical setting? I honestly don't know, but I suspect I might. This new appreciation, however, doesn't help me with enjoying them in this track. (Sorry.)

There's a dramatic change of pace with Beneath the Skydome, which works as short, transitional piece. Quiet, atmospheric and reflective, it becomes more minimalist as it goes on, until returning with an insistent marching beat. The last note fades, and there is nothing until a bell starts tolling the start of Broken Man, Pt.2. (The first part of the song, after some investigation, appears to feature on Fatal Fusion's debut album. I've not yet listened to it.) Unfortunately for me, this return to a theme from an earlier album also seems to herald a return in sound to the earlier album I have heard (The Ancient Tale), and the first five minutes don't do a lot for me. Grøntvedt's vocals do soften at this point, and the song begins to become more enjoyable, but it's another minute before I get to the point where I can actually say I like it, I guess that it the good thing about a song of this length, as it does have a chance to redeem itself. Apart from the first five minutes, this is actually a good song, with Grøntvedt's best singing.

This isn't an album I'm going to rave over, but it's considerably better than I anticipated. I'm going to assume any fans of the band will lap it up, and those who may have passed the band over in the past might want to give them another go. There's enough of interest here that I will be checking out whatever comes next from Fatal Fusion, as well as their previous album. Heck, I might even revisit The Ancient Tale.

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2021 at 02:40
I tend to start my reviews as 3 star ones and then work up or down. I have given a few one or two star reviews and even gave a one-star review to a Beatles album once!

I rated this according to the site guidelines and this one really is for completists only. Because this is a prog site there is very little music here that I actively dislike so I tend to keep my low ratings for badly-put together compilations.
Spaciousmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spaciousmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2021 at 03:50
Just some thoughts as an occasional reader of reviews and not a writer.  Most of you do a good job and you can tell pretty quickly who tries to be fair and which reviewers you should skip after reading them once.  Generally speaking i would say from what I have read is that some of the older reviewers are much harsher than reviews in recent years.
The reviews and reviewers I tend to ignore are ones that write stuff like this for example:

1) "I have tried to listen this to see what all the hype is about"  And then they start their knocks.  To me that means the mind was closed from the get go and its going to be a snipe.
2) You read a Pink Floyd review and the reviewer starts comparing to Genesis.  Putting down one and promoting the other.  These kind of reviews are a complete joke as they are comparing an apple with an orange.

My advice is that if you are not open to listening properly to an artist then don't review it as it will become quickly apparent that your review is not worth reading.  If you keep comparing the artist to your favorite artist when the artists you are reviewing has almost nothing in common with your favorite artist then don't review it as it will come out as silly. You really are not proving anything worthwhile to the reader who if he has sense will just ignore your review anyway or just laugh it off.

Those are just a few examples of reviews that just provide comical value but nothing of value to any serious reader for the album that is being reviewed.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2021 at 03:55

THE LOST BROADCASTS 1968-1972

The Pentangle

Prog Folk

SteveG
1 stars I believe that this is the first time I have ever rated an album with a lowly one star. However, I have some very good reasons for doing so.

This collection of BBC sessions from The Pentangle are "from off the air" private recordings, as no BBC archival recordings of The Pentangle are known to exist. Shame on the BBC.

Well, not really. The BBC didn't have all of the session recordings that made up the impressive Fairport Convention BBC sessions compilation album titled Hey Day, which featured never recorded cover versions of American folk songs from Bob Dylan and Leonard Cohen on through to Joni Mitchell, along with many other notable American folk artists. Original Fairport bassist and co-founder Ashley Hutchings at least had 1/4 inch tape "safety copies" made for his private collection that were of decent sound quality and were used to make the album. And what if they were not? Those rare Fairport recordings would still have warranted a listen regardless of the sound quality, as does the rare but dodgy sounding mark 1 Renaissance recordings titled Past Orbits Of Dust 1969/70. The early John Hawken led version of the now familiar Annie Haslam era mark ll lineup is precious because the group was only together for one year and were indeed rarely recorded live except for two or three songs that were occasionally recorded for "one off" radio broadcasts.

This is not the case with The Pentangle: The Lost Broadcasts 1968-1972. There is nothing super rare on this collection except a group arrangement of the inane song Moondog, which was a filler piece for drummer Terry Cox on the group's second album titled Sweet Child, in much the same way that Ringo Starr's songs were filler on many Beatles albums. Rubbish.

The sound quality of The Pentangle: The Lost Broadcasts ranges from poor (mostly) to passable (on rare occasions). As I've stated, there are no rare or historical performances featured on this BBC sessions compilation, so I cannot think of any viable reason why it exists. Pass this one up unless you are a diehard fan that must have everything recorded by this once revered British folk/blues/jazz rock fusion ensemble.

Edited by SteveG - May 28 2021 at 06:21
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2021 at 04:12
Hmm I had to search for a really negative one but ultimately found my review of Tim Hecker’s Virgins. That’s about as crass I get:

1 stars One of the reasons we're not goats
There are some obvious advantages we have over goats we as people should cherish like the very earth we roam. First of all, hands. I love my hands - in fact so much so, that I've been known to clap furiously into the night, applauding the very instrument at work with a fierce and burning love that sadly would've been lost on the aforementioned hoof bearing critter.

One thing that has always puzzled me about goats is their ability to devour whatever their cruel and, let's face it, rather poor cuisine oafs serve them with. I remember visiting the zoo back when I was a wee kid. I had on my beloved KISS t-shirt, which I wore proudly and with much gusto - until I thought I'd run into a snag of some kind. I froze instantly, reminding myself not to panic - maybe Gene Simmons tongue hadn't been stretched even more than what it already was. I then turned my head and saw a small goat chewing happily on my shirt.... It proceeded to do so until I found something else eatable to stuff in it's face. Chance would have it that I was standing on top of some rather foul smelling cardboard, which I then force-fed into it's lazily chewing jaws.

Now what on earth does all this talk of goats and cardboards have to with Canadian electronic wizard Tim Hecker and his new release 'Virgins'? Well we, as a species, have evolved from the stage of merely feeding ourselves for survival. Hell, more than anything else, It now seems as though we're on the brink of eating ourselves to an early grave.... anyway we've refined our eating habits and the way we prepare our meals. We got so much going for us that our tasting buds have reached a powerful sensitivity to everything we decide to stuff our faces with. So why on earth would we ever go back to eating cardboard?

Well the same goes for music. We have so much to choose from these days, it literally boggles the mind, and maybe that's why I find it increasingly perplexing to see this album heralded pretty much everywhere on the internet as some kind of prodigal modern electronic release. Personally, I'd pretty much call it cardboard muzak. Now before I go into all of this, I'd like to point out my natural affinity for the more out there music. I loooove strange unorthodox sounds and tapestries and am furthermore an electronic junkie always itching and scratching for the next fix - the next trip that takes me completely elsewhere.

On 'Virgins' there's a sense of an omnipresent stagnant droning atmospheric going down. Much of the time I am reminded of Lustmord and his unique ways of pushing these mountainous drones forward, yet with Hecker the overall emphasis lies elsewhere, meaning that you just get this wall paper like entity hovering quietly in the back like some shy ninja with a fear of knives. Then you get the touch-and-go piano clinkering. "CLINK CLINK.......CLINK CLINK" -Frequently used as a way of incorporating a bit of beat into the mix, yet with the intonation and rhythm sense comparable to that of a chicken, the outcome comes across crudely and perhaps more important: drearily. Even when the piano decides to dive head first into small melodic segments, it takes on the form of those adverts on tv which promote health, sound economics and intelligent housing. Yawn!

Then there's the static noise - the television sound that suddenly got hugely influential in modern electronic music sometime around the turn of the millennium. Hecker though tries to implement these white noise walls of sound at the tail end of the occasional synth squeaks, making them crackle and pop like old wiring gone bad. Other times he plays around with them - fiddling about with the volume making them appear as fragmented rhythms and, at times, something akin to melodies.

This is all about atmospherics though. It's about moods and gentle unmelodious waves of sound. Sometimes it sounds like a factory hall getting cleaned out with a couple of brooms whereas there are other moments, where I feel transported into a piano tuning shop where this old dude sits around and clinks away on arbitrary tangents.

I am so disappointed with this thing. I was hoping for something special and new - something that rivalled all those fantastic reviews I'd read............but no dice - no cigar - no real zing was to be found. Listening to this album all the way through makes me feel like a goat, -and not one of those fine-dining buggers who hang out at the local Burger King - no the very same that keep munching on KISS t-shirts and cardboard.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2021 at 04:18
Originally posted by LakeGlade12 LakeGlade12 wrote:

I legit laughed out loud at this Clap.

It reminds me of a 0/100 rating I gave a Pestilence album on MetalArchives where I said watching paint dry was more entertaining. One of the most polarizing bands ever for me.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Spaciousmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Spaciousmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2021 at 06:40
My reader feelings after the above posted reviews.  I will only focus on the albums that I know so will pass on Logan's, Nick's and Guldbamsen.

Psychedelic Paul's - Fair comments knowing Paul's liking for the musical side of Prog and appropriately describing this.

LakeGlade12 - Also fair comments.  I vividly remember Wish You Were Here when it came out.  I was dying to get it the moment it was available in the stores.  Especially since I was hoping to get more of Atom heart, Meddle and DSOTM.  Anyway I still remember dying to take it home and having a first listen and feeling a little disappointed.  I expected more and after the first listen I was disappointed.  No question that the guitar is good throughout the album... but somehow I was missing that Pink Floyd feel from earlier.  So yes I can associate with LakeGlade and perhaps 1.8 is low... but I still feel today when I listen to it that it shouldn't be the highest rated PF album here in the Forum.  I can only assume it's the guitar attraction.

Chopper - Fair comments still I would have rated higher because of taking into consideration the year those songs were made. 

SteveG - Since I have pretty much everything from Pentangle, I can't really disagree with Steve's reasoning.  Being a nice guy I would have perhaps gone a little higher but Steve's logic is sound.

Edited by Spaciousmind - May 28 2021 at 06:46
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2021 at 07:10
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Originally posted by LakeGlade12 LakeGlade12 wrote:

I legit laughed out loud at this Clap.

It reminds me of a 0/100 rating I gave a Pestilence album on MetalArchives where I said watching paint dry was more entertaining. One of the most polarizing bands ever for me.

Hahahaha, I sure hope it wasn't Spheres. That's one of my all time favorite albums period, let alone metal albums... i'm guessing it was one of their post Spheres releases?
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2021 at 07:12
soooo many of them  1 Star (actually a lot of them were raised to 1 because the 0Star was terminatedOuchDead) that  had to choose two from the classic albums that I've actually taken the time to defend descendLOL

Strawbs - Bursting at The Seam

1 stars With this album, deception can only be around the bend, as Strawbs have taken yet another turn, this time heading to commercial radio-friendly tracks: Lay Down (on this album) then Part Of The Union. This album has a definitely country-ish sound (hinted with the closing track of Witchwood) and this fact never sits well with this writer.

Right from the opener, you know that you will not find the delicate folk harmonies that made us fly in the previous three albums, and we are stuck with obtrusive (and obstructive;-) country rock feels, needless hard rock tracks and unjustified string arrangements. Even though Weaver over-floods the opening track middle section with mellotrons, he cannot save it with its Gabriel-Moody Blues verse-chorus bit. The tracks of the first side of the vinyl are all of the same mould I just described except for the rather short The River, which is slightly folkier. The harder-edged Down By The Sea (also with Trons) is again not far from ultra early Genesis and Moody Blues, but it hardly saves the day and over-done string arrangements, but it might just be a rare highlight.

The second side starts with the two-part Tears and it is the other highlight on this album, with its lush mellotrons (tons of Trons ;-), but again Genesis-inspired and it does feel a bit forced, especially with its Greek folk Syrtaky dance second movement before Gabriel and Banks (Eeehhmmm!!!.. I mean Cousins and Weaver;-) re-enter the track. The follow-up is rather insignificant but remains charming especially with the awful country hit single to come: Lay Down. It should do just that, but if you want to hear mellotrons-laden country rock, this is worth a good laugh: it almost works too >> we are laughing. The closing track Backside (slightly Spanish-sounding backtrack) is actually better than the average of the album it stands in: this is a change, for The Strawbs had gotten us used to closing-up poorly their albums.

But trouble laid ahead as both Ford and Hudson will leave, with Weaver following and forcing Cousins to rebuild the group from scratch with Hawken (Renaissance), Coombes and Cronk coming in as well as Lambert. The end of an era with this album, but the apple had been rotten for a while (my guess was when Wakeman left). The Further The Strawbs keep going, the more they lose their soul and the more they sound passe-partout and like others: sad.

Supertramp - Famous Last Word

1 stars Famous First Dowhfall

As with other groups before and after them, the stratospheric success of their BIA album and its grueling promotional tours brought some friction between the songwriters/creators. Most likely spawned by the hit-making count, now heavily favoring Roger, and the choice of singles brought forward to the public, this album was definitely not a worthy successor to BIA, either saleswise or artistically. Prophetically-titled Famous Last Words, it sounds like it was probably (I'm extrapolating, here) the last Supertramp album, until Davies decided to keep going, once Hodgson was leaving for a solo career. It didn't look like it at the time, but the situation would eventually grow to immense almost-Floydian proportions, as the Waters/Gilmour feud hasn't much to envy the Hodgson/Davies one. Surprisingly enough, the guest list is including the Wilson sisters of Heart fame.

A rather poor album, graced with an almost-prophetic tightrope artwork, this album was also the first try at Supertramp dealing with the videoclip fad and the two or three examples they produced for MTV exposure only dealt them a lack of credibility among many core fans, if not alienation. It didn't help either that the main "hit" It's Raining Again was another whiny/w**ker Hodgson melody, like the BIA t/t, Give, Lady and Dreamer, and this time the equally-atrocious C'est Le Bon is in the same area, so that makes two of them. But Davies' attempt at commercial tracks was close to ridicule ? My Kind Of Lady is a bad doo-wop unwilling pastiche (help Frank Zappa ;o)))) and Brown Shoes a clumsy attempt at rock'n roll.

Even the last two numbers can't save this one from sinking, although they are much better than the rest of the album, they only manage to remind you of other albums and makes this one even more horrendous. Indeed, the 6-mins+ Davies-penned Waiting So Long is one of the only track of this album that would find space (as a filler) on any of their previous albums (bar Stamped, of course), but it has its charms, including a certain moodiness (reminding a bit Asylum) and enough musical passages (among which a Hodgson wailing guitar solo) and drama to please progheads. And the Hodgson-penned Don't Leave Me Now (why did you, Roger?) is also a worthy closer (not sure this album deserved one, though), even if it doesn't match its predecessor, but its melancholic ending is pleasant enough.

I suppose that those dumb MTV videoclips did not help me in not-liking this album, despite the last two tracks. Don't get me wrong, this album is not as bad as I might seem to hint at, but compared to previous works, it sucks the bone. Unlike those, this one is depressingly average, which made me get rid of the album quick. No wonder something drastic would happen after such a mediocre album.

BTW, I agree with SteveG that the Pentangle's lost broadcast is very poor.

Edited by Sean Trane - May 28 2021 at 07:13
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2021 at 07:12
I usually don't write negative reviews myself, but this year i've written two 2-star reviews. I'm just going to post the links to them rather than copy and paste the whole review in

Jordsjo - Pastoralia

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=2541320

Transatlantic - Forevermore

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=2508249

Great year for music so far however!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2021 at 07:36
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Strawbs - Bursting at The Seam

1 stars With this album, deception can only be around the bend, as Strawbs have taken yet another turn, this time heading to commercial radio-friendly tracks: Lay Down (on this album) then Part Of The Union. This album has a definitely country-ish sound (hinted with the closing track of Witchwood) and this fact never sits well with this writer.

Right from the opener, you know that you will not find the delicate folk harmonies that made us fly in the previous three albums, and we are stuck with obtrusive (and obstructive;-) country rock feels, needless hard rock tracks and unjustified string arrangements. Even though Weaver over-floods the opening track middle section with mellotrons, he cannot save it with its Gabriel-Moody Blues verse-chorus bit. The tracks of the first side of the vinyl are all of the same mould I just described except for the rather short The River, which is slightly folkier. The harder-edged Down By The Sea (also with Trons) is again not far from ultra early Genesis and Moody Blues, but it hardly saves the day and over-done string arrangements, but it might just be a rare highlight.

The second side starts with the two-part Tears and it is the other highlight on this album, with its lush mellotrons (tons of Trons ;-), but again Genesis-inspired and it does feel a bit forced, especially with its Greek folk Syrtaky dance second movement before Gabriel and Banks (Eeehhmmm!!!.. I mean Cousins and Weaver;-) re-enter the track. The follow-up is rather insignificant but remains charming especially with the awful country hit single to come: Lay Down. It should do just that, but if you want to hear mellotrons-laden country rock, this is worth a good laugh: it almost works too >> we are laughing. The closing track Backside (slightly Spanish-sounding backtrack) is actually better than the average of the album it stands in: this is a change, for The Strawbs had gotten us used to closing-up poorly their albums.

But trouble laid ahead as both Ford and Hudson will leave, with Weaver following and forcing Cousins to rebuild the group from scratch with Hawken (Renaissance), Coombes and Cronk coming in as well as Lambert. The end of an era with this album, but the apple had been rotten for a while (my guess was when Wakeman left). The Further The Strawbs keep going, the more they lose their soul and the more they sound passe-partout and like others: sad.

I can't agree with the 1 star for BATS, but it is a very enjoyable review and makes some good points. For the Supertramp review, I wouldn't change a thing. Big smile

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2021 at 07:50
I really like the Strawbs' Bursting at the Seams album and gave it a 4-star rating recently, which probably comes as no surprise when I'm often criticised for overrating albums. Tongue
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2021 at 07:53
Yes - Heaven & Earth

1 stars A Mediocre Starcastle album or Yes wannabe Tribute Band?

Full Disclosure :

It took me a while to warm up to the Fly From Here album and I recall scoring it around 2.5 stars. After many more listens I'd probably give it a 3.5 today. I doubt I'll have the same reflective moments about Heaven and Hell, I mean Earth, although that might be a better title given it's impact on this reviewer.

Production :

As with most Yes albums the technical aspects of the recording can be considered world class. I found the sound a tad muddy with the crisp clear sibilance missing from things like cymbals and the Hi-hat. But production is so much more than recording quality. The mix is a little heavy on drums when they do little more than provide a thin rhythm section at best. Is this really the same Alan White that played on Relayer? The instrumental sections are relegated to the background for the most part with the odd exception of a synth or guitar solo.

8/20

Song Writing :

The song writing here is far from being up to the Yes standard we've come to expect. I'm at a loss to find a standout track on this album as every one of them seems to be void of any real emotion or sense of energy for that matter. Song after song plods along, never picking up and speed or creating a sense of interest for the listener. To Ascend never takes off and then coasts to the end of the runway tired and out of gas. With the follow up tune In a World of Our Own I ask myself, 'Is there such a thing as Progessive Blues?' Then more and more of the same. Subway Walls starts off with promise but then deviates into a lazy attempt at sounding progy. 'Ladies and gentlemen. The progressive Yes has left the building!'

4/20

Originality :

This is where Yes appears to having an identity crisis of sorts. They have produced an album that sounds like a Yes album but have done nothing to define who they are now. Geoff Downes takes to doing Wakemanesque MiniMOOG solos rather than putting himself in the music. When Moraz stepped in for Wakeman you knew there was a new guy in town and he owned it. I've also reached the point of boredom with bands trying to replace singers with singers who sound exactly like the singers they've lost. Get over it and move on. I don't really care who is singing for them on this album because I know it's not Jon Anderson and yet it's no different from Jon Anderson. Just another voice without any originality

5/20

Performance :

The performances on this album are fair I guess, given that the writing is as lackluster as it is. There isn't any flourish here, no chops. Maybe that's what happens after you turn 65. Geoff Downs organ solo in Subway Walls is uninspired and by the numbers, almost as if to say 'There you go, my Hammond solo, now let me get back to holding cords'. Alan White brings nothing of interest to the percussion section on this album. Any middle of the road bar drummer could have done it. Steve Howe provides maybe three little solos here but they pale on comparison to stuff he even did with Asia. Chris squires bass playing is again fine but not outstanding. It's hard to excel when the bar is set so low. Hey Chris, here's an idea for you'Emerson Squire and Palmer. That's right, ESP!! Now I'd buy that for a dollar!

5/20

General Impressions :

Yes seems to be suffering from an identity crisis. For all intents and purposes this is the Drama Yes band. The music here in no way reminds us of that once great collaboration that brought us 'Machine Messiah', 'Into the Lens' or 'Tempus Fugit'. Yes have picked through the yes 'sound files' and have been very careful to put just the right amount of Yes sound into this album and in doing so have become a reflection of what they have never been. A watery version of themselves. While this review has garnered a 1.35 (lowered to 1 star) I still wouldn't even recommend it to completionists.

5/20

Total = 27/100 (27% of 5 stars)

Edited by JD - May 28 2021 at 07:54
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2021 at 07:55
^ "A mediocre Starcastle album"

Absolutely brutal.

This is coming from someone who even likes Starcastle 
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2021 at 08:05
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Supertramp - Famous Last Word

1 stars Famous First Dowhfall

As with other groups before and after them, the stratospheric success of their BIA album and its grueling promotional tours brought some friction between the songwriters/creators. Most likely spawned by the hit-making count, now heavily favoring Roger, and the choice of singles brought forward to the public, this album was definitely not a worthy successor to BIA, either saleswise or artistically. Prophetically-titled Famous Last Words, it sounds like it was probably (I'm extrapolating, here) the last Supertramp album, until Davies decided to keep going, once Hodgson was leaving for a solo career. It didn't look like it at the time, but the situation would eventually grow to immense almost-Floydian proportions, as the Waters/Gilmour feud hasn't much to envy the Hodgson/Davies one. 

LOL - This pretty much nails how I feel about this album, well said sir!
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2021 at 08:07
This is one of the few 1 star reviews I´ve written which I probably won´t change my mind about even if I go back and listen to the album again (some of the other 1 star reviews I´ve written, I´ll probably rewrite at some point and reconsider the rating):

Klaus Schulze - Irrlicht

Irrlicht is the debut full-length studio album by German progressive electronic music artist Klaus Schulze. It´s his first release after leaving the drummer´s seat in Ash Ra Tempel. Irrlicht was released on the Rolf-Ulrich Kaiser and Peter Meisel led Ohr record label in August 1972. The album was recorded in April 1972. The original album contained three tracks while the 2006 CD re- release adds the 24 minute long bonus track Dungeon. Klaus Schulze adds some really funny anekdotes in the booklet to the re-release. Especially the story about Rolf-Ulrich Kaiser´s girlfriend Gille Lettmann bringing LSD trips to the studio on several occasions in those early seventies. Klaus Schulze says that they would play for hours and sometimes afterwards they couldn´t even remember who had played which instrument. But Klaus Schulze didn´t only experiments with drugs and Irrlicht is certainly proof of that. His innovative and adventurous approach to composing and playing music is admirable.

The songs on Irrlicht are ambient, minimalistic, droning sound experiments. Very repetitive and the few times there´s anything resembling a melody or a progression of notes that could lead to thinking that now something memorable will appear the repetitive droning just goes on an on. There are next to no drums or percussion on the album as far as I can hear ( the booklet says that Klaus Schulze plays percussion so I guess it´s there somewhere) and the main instrument is organ. The instrumentation also include guitar, E-Machines ( I´m not sure what that is) and Zither and in addition to those instruments Klaus Schulze also had the opportunity to record a rehearsal session with the Colloquium Musica Orchestra which he uses somewhere on the album ( played backwards according to the booklet).

The production is allright.

At the risk of being flamed by fans of Irrlicht I have to play with open cards and say that this album left me completely cold. But not only that. It left me frustrated and exhausted too. The 20 minute + songs just seem to go on and on forever without much happening ( and when something happens that new thing also goes on forever) and while this is undoubtedly a groundbreaking album from those early days of experimenting with sound, the album unfortunately ends up being just that: An experiment for the sake of experimenting. In other words art for art´s sake and as much as I respect innovative and adventurous artists the music of such artists has to give me at least some sort of satisfaction ( move me, challenge me...etc) and that is not the case with Irrlicht which feels unnecessarily longdrawn and patience testing for me. There are simply no redeeming qualities on this album that can warrant even a 2 star rating IMO, so this will be one of my very few 1 star ratings.

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=269270

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2021 at 09:01
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I really like the Strawbs' Bursting at the Seams album and gave it a 4-star rating recently, which probably comes as no surprise when I'm often criticised for overrating albums. Tongue
Sean only liked the Strawbs when they were folk rock. The more proggy and symphonic they got, the less he liked them. To each his own. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>