Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your lowest rated reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2021 at 16:06
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I really like the Strawbs' Bursting at the Seams album and gave it a 4-star rating recently, which probably comes as no surprise when I'm often criticised for overrating albums. Tongue

Bursting at the Seams is, for me, clearly the weakest album Strawbs released between From the Witchwood and Ghosts.
The good (Tears and Pavan, Down by the Sea, Flying) is magnificent, but the bad (Part of the Union, Thank You, The River) is dire. I'd rate it 3*.

But to suggest that the wheels fell off when Wakeman left is utterly absurd when the band released an utter masterpiece like Grave New World without him.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2021 at 16:19
Not that the Low review is my worst actually, here's a worse one (this album isn't that popular anyway though):

Eloy - Ra

1 stars The strongest element of Eloy has always been the rhythm section with the wonderful bassist Matziol and the pretty strong and characteristic drummers Rosenthal and Randow. On Ra none of them is present, instead we have synth bass and very electronic sounding drums played by a non-drummer (except Udo Dahmen on Invasion of a Megaforce but he doesn't sound much better which is a pity because I know he has more in his hat). Put on top an obsession with the most thick and showy 80s synthesizer sounds and Bornemann's ever so bombastic lyrics and thin voice. You can imagine that the result is a desaster. It's not so much the typical 70s prog band goes 80s commercial desaster. Eloy, you've got to give it to them, are in some way true to their progressive past, at least they still try to put something more into a song than verse-chorus-verse-chorus. Unfortunately, replacing their inspiring and lively rhythm section by something boring and unengaging strangles the whole thing. As songwriter, Bornemann can come up with the occasional well working melody and chord progression, but without his former partners it all lacks groove, becomes static and is ultimately hard to bear.

I should probably note that I can imagine why some die hard Eloy fans are still able to like this; if I imagine Matziol/Randow shaking up the compositions, some potential for acceptable prog may be revealed, some guitar and keyboard arrangements on their own are fine if the listener is able to forget the overall sound for a moment, but as things stand, my verdict is "hands off"!

Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2021 at 00:08
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Originally posted by LakeGlade12 LakeGlade12 wrote:

2 stars 1.8 Stars. Wish you lived up to your hype

I legit laughed out loud at this Clap.

It reminds me of a 0/100 rating I gave a Pestilence album on MetalArchives where I said watching paint dry was more entertaining. One of the most polarizing bands ever for me.

Hahahaha, I sure hope it wasn't Spheres. That's one of my all time favorite albums period, let alone metal albums... i'm guessing it was one of their post Spheres releases?

Spheres is the only reason I like Pestilence. It's their absolute peak and then Mameli cowarded out and listened to the metal audience instead of continuing to create actual novel music. Sphere is a masterpiece and I own several copies of it!

The album I rated 0 was Testimony of The Ancients. The most overrated paint-by-prog extreme metal record that gets overpraised. Don't get me started LOL.

I knew Patrick Mameli (lead guy) for years, and he did nothing but make sure his ego was persevered while not paying me to run their website for four years, design only ads, promised me tons of merch from Spheres era, none of it.

They should have just stopped after Spheres instead of reviving, because it's been embarrassingly bad since 2009 lol. We always joke every single song is the song title said 50 times over a boring riff. Also every single Mameli lead since 1993 ends on the 23 fret w a sh*tty half step bend. You can't unhear! They're latest album is their worst; they swore by the dogma of 8 strings for two albums and realized it sounded like sh*t, so now it's back to 6 strings, but write 8 string riffs on the 6, etc...

Convoluted bullsh*t that Mameli got right once with Spheres! BROKEN CLOCK! Lol.

Edited by Frenetic Zetetic - May 29 2021 at 00:10

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2021 at 01:43
I have given a few albums the 2-star treatment, namely 'Non Stop' by FSB, 'The Cocoon' by Richard Henshall, 'Dispelling Differences' by Emme Phyzema and 'Nothing is Written' by Galahad.

I do not know, however, how to use the 1-star rating. Big smile
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2021 at 09:57
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

I really like the Strawbs' Bursting at the Seams album and gave it a 4-star rating recently, which probably comes as no surprise when I'm often criticised for overrating albums. Tongue

Bursting at the Seams is, for me, clearly the weakest album Strawbs released between From the Witchwood and Ghosts.
The good (Tears and Pavan, Down by the Sea, Flying) is magnificent, but the bad (Part of the Union, Thank You, The River) is dire. I'd rate it 3*.

But to suggest that the wheels fell off when Wakeman left is utterly absurd when the band released an utter masterpiece like Grave New World without him.

Strawbs caught lightning in a bottle on Bursting, an effortlessly accomplished blend of prog and pop,  with pklenty of the group's folk roots still on display.  I happen to like everything on it except for the closing number which is obviously throw away.  4 songwriters, 4 vocalists, mellotron, banjo and sitar, hard rock, ballads, and epics.  Even the 2 tracks that were not part of the original LP are excellent, indicating just how creatively bursting the band was at this time.  I think any of their albums from Grave New World thru Ghosts could be considered their best (sorry to Hercules and Sean but I don't think Witchwood is quite as strong), and there are compelling arguments for choosing "Bursting" if you are not insistent on wall to wall prog but instead see the blend as a strength not a weakness.  

But on to a few of my 1 star reviews.  I have about 25 of them.  here are a few of my favourites

Jade Warrior - At Peace
Now for my first review on meditationmusicarchives, I will be discussing this 1986 album that went unreleased for a few years by one-off British duo JADE WARRIOR. Apart from the first track, which actually has a few clips of discernible melody congealed in its interstices, this is an ideal album to which to meditate, to drift off and be certain that nothing untoward will banish your mantra, or whatever you're using to stay on point. The ambient arrangements are gently imparted on amorphous synths, synthy flutes, and fluty synths, with loooooong loooong notes with no beginning and no end, never wavering thank Buddha. A few nature sounds ensure that you will be transported back to the last time you camped outdoors, but will act as calamine lotion to whatever bug bites you might have endured in passing. I would even add that one could overlay guided meditation imagery on "At Peace" without disturbing the titular promise one bit. Don't worry, there are ZERO drums to unbliss you! 4 stars for the opening track and 5 stars for the closing 2 tracks for a 4.5 star rating.......

Wait what? This isn't MMA? And JADE WARRIOR is a venerable prog rock group? Someone wake me now! No, let me sleep, it feels soooooooo gooooood. I'll rate this when I'm awake and can feel at peace with my choice.

Tuatha de Danann-Trova di Danu
I am a staunch supporter of the "non traditional marriage" of celtic folk with rock music, even hard rock. Over the years, mostly British Isles bands have been the finest proponents of this blend - POGUES, RUNRIG, MEN THEY COULDN'T HANG, WATERBOYS, and OYSTERBAND all come to mind, as much for their political and human interest themes that transcended the usual drunken bar fight lyrics as for their considerable musicality. On the other hand relatively few bands convincingly melded metal to folk. The best of these I have heard is MAGO DE OZ from Spain, to whom TUATHA DE DANANN owes the greatest debt of gratitude. However based on this disk, I doubt that MAGO DE OZ is much flattered by the imitation.

For every poignant RUNRIG anthem there is a tepid WOLFSTONE regurgitation; for every James Joyce rivaling POGUES romp is a warmed over hand me down from TEMPEST. For every well sequenced and executed ballad or metal fest by MAGO DE OZ is a frenetic and soulless ballad or metal fest (both sound pretty much the same anyway) by TUATHA DE DANANN that conveys a failure to assimilate the virtues of the folk genre prior to alloying it. Most of this is a crass and hard to forgive exercise in amplifying and speeding up jigs or reels, or dressing a death growl in a kilt. Songs like "Bella Nature", "Lover of the Queen", "Land's Revenge" and "Arrival" are even worse than that and essentially torturous. Sometimes after a minute or so of tentative intro, they realize they have locked themselves in and the only way out is with a hammer and a groan. The exceptions would be the lighter "Land of Youth", the guttural but rousing "Believe it's True" and the atypical and more traditionally celtic title cut with female vocals. But the damage inflicted by the worst this group has to offer neutralizes these gains many times over.

Perhaps the band's inactivity since 2004 means that it has been offered as a sacrifice to Danu, the water goddess from which the it derives its name, and she has accepted selflessly for the benefit of bands like DANU and DE DANANN, not to mention listeners like me.

NEKTAR - Magic is a Child

Whatever distinctiveness NEKTAR might have claimed in their earlier years had been vanishing for a couple of releases, and their main calling card was Roy Albrighton, who left after "Recycled". A couple of years later, with a new guitarist Dave Nelson, they emerged with more democratic structure and their first album with no redeeming qualities.

The 1970s have a bad reputation among some. While some of this rap is unjustified, a listen to "Magic is a Child" points out all the pitfalls of a decade growing long in the tooth. Indeed, this could have been produced by any number of non progressive 1970s bands, most of them one-offs. This was music nobody wanted, and it's safe to say that only NEKTAR's pedigree saved it from complete obscurity. But that reputation was built on their first few albums, particularly "Remember the Future", and this 1977 disk bears utterly no resemblance to that classic. Gone are the sunshiney melodies, harmonic riffs, fantastic lyrics and interconnected themes. All that remains are rote 1970s guitar solos, trite tunes, faux-rousing choruses and ineffective and tasteless humour. Even the "harpsichord" in the title cut sounds treated and released.

After I scored with "Remember the Future", I kept looking in vain for some other sign of the force behind that concept, and kept being disappointed, but the search ended here for good. "Magic is a Child" only its mother could love.

Edited by kenethlevine - May 29 2021 at 17:25
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2021 at 11:42
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Once I met a guy who hated Camel just because he approached their music with The Single Factor.

I think this is a good reason for writing low-rated reviews

Hi,

I don't think so. An explanation would be better of the material, and maybe ranking it low makes the band not look as good as they are ... specially when it might have been the record company trying to get an extra buck, and the band had to let it go ... maybe to finish off a contract they didn't even want!

I just would not do a review ... basically if the albums are not worth a review and there are not many compared to the other albums, I would think that is a good signal that something is not right on that album ... but in my case I won't do albums or bands I am not passionate about.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2021 at 19:45
I have given a number of one star ratings, purely my own opinion. Most would make sense to others, but there are also those where I am clearly in the minority - We're Only In It For The Money probably being the most prominent. Ying Yang
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
VianaProghead View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VianaProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2021 at 09:08
This is an interesting thing. But, as we can see, the motifs can be very diversified and the criterions too. In my case I only gave one star to two albums, till now, "Giant For A Day" of Gentle Giant and "Earthboud" of King Crimson, but by completelly different reasons.
In the case of Gentle Giant, I really thing that it is a very weak album in terms of quality and in terms of the DNA of the band's music. It's very hard for me to consider it an album of an amazing band capable of release so amazing masterpieces. We can say it's a kind of a freak album inside their discography.
In the case of King Crimson, it's a very different thing. As a live album we cannot say it is a true bad album. It has a very savage live performance with some good moments, especially "21st Century Schizoid Man". But, several reasons contributed to that, mainly the quality and demotivation of the line up at the time, and above all, the quality of the recordings of it, which were really awful.
So, we can have different reasons to give to an album the lowest rating, despite the quality of iband, which in theses both cases are unquestionable. These are two of the best prog bands ever.
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2021 at 09:19
^ Giant for a Day would get two stars from me as well.  It's not really horrible, and I like Spookie Boogie very much, but its GG's weakest album.  I don't know how much I'd call it an  aberration, since I think it fits well with music from The Missing Piece and  Civilian, and even Interview (although Interview was for me the last very good GG album).  I would especially compare it to the pop rock approach of Civilian (same sort of allele frequencies).
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VianaProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2021 at 09:33
I agree that "Giant For A Day" is undoubtedly the weakest of all their studio albums. I also agree that "Interview" is the last great album of them. About "The Missing Piece", I like it, despite its pop approach. But, I can still see some lines of their prog career on it. I gave to it 3 stars. "Civilian" is a different thing. It isn't a bad album, it is even a good album but not to GG. It doesn't sounds to me as a GG album. It's a good album to be released by some other band but not by GG. I gave to it 2 stars.
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2021 at 09:40
^ Yeah, I guess one might consider Civilian as is its own era for its New Wave and AOR qualities.  The Gentle Giant became a very modest mouse -- without sounding like Modest Mouse, but I just wanted to say that.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VianaProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2021 at 09:45
But, fortunately, they weren't only "Giants For A Day", but they were really Giants for almost a decade. We really can forgive them for that last phase. God save their memory and their absolutelly amazing contibution to the prog world. One of the best and most important, indeed.
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2021 at 11:22
So far my lowest rated review was of the Beatles/Tony Sheridan single "My Bonnie" (1 star). And it even comes from a big Beatles fan...
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2021 at 12:10
I gave Islands by KC two stars. Hee hee.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2021 at 04:29

[
You'd best avoid my 25 five-star ratings for Mostly Autumn then. Tongue

What's your favorite Mostly Autumn album? I've was wondering which one to dive into.Wink
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2021 at 05:46
Having to suggest where to start with Mostly Autumn, I'd say The Spirit If Autumn Past and The Last Bright Light in one shot.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2021 at 05:47
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

[
You'd best avoid my 25 five-star ratings for Mostly Autumn then. Tongue

What's your favorite Mostly Autumn album? I've was wondering which one to dive into.Wink
I'd mostly recommend their unforgettable live album: That Night in Leamington (featuring the last appearance by Heather Findlay), or their first live compilation: The Story So Far. Thumbs Up

Porcupine Rain (from The Story So Far)

Evergreen (from That Night in Leamington)

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - June 06 2021 at 05:54
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2021 at 05:56
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I gave Islands by KC two stars. Hee hee.

I gave every KC album after Islands a two-star rating, apart from Red, obviously. Admittedly, I've given higher ratings to KC & the Sunshine Band. Embarrassed
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2021 at 17:58
Thanks for the recommendations Octopus 4 and Psychedelic Paul.  I'll buy those albums along with Lazland's highest rated Mostly Autumn- "Dressed in Voices"
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2021 at 18:18
My lowest rated review has been for prog-related Wishbone Ash and their shhtinker album Locked In.

--------------------------------------------------
1 stars  Wishbone Ash's album Locked In.

It is beyond my comprehension how a group could record one of *the* most awe inspiring albums of all time (There's The Rub) then in their next release produce something as dreadful as "Locked In".

There are two saving graces to this album: 1. the opening track "Rest in Peace" has a solo by Laurie Wisefield that is so unique that I still get goosebumps when I hear it and the harmony lead riffs are exquisite on this track...one of WA's great tracks and very progressive as a piece of music. 2. The last song "Say Goodbye" not prog at all but simply a fantastic rock ballad with great vocals, melody and musicianship.

All songs in between these 2 are mind boggling awful....everyone of them!

Let's list them: "No Water in the Well"...who was the bright spark who permitted Laurie Wisefiled to sing on record? His vocals are akin to Bob Dylan singing and being strangled at the same time. Extremely high pitched, nasal, grating and whining. OOOh dear.

"Moonshine" Laurie back again...who'd have thought? Stinking.

"She Was My Best Friend" had some potential but is so dreary and morbid and even Martin Turner's normally good vocals make you want to press the skip button immediately he get's into his most blubbering, weepy performance on record.

"It Started in Heaven"...yes, you've guess it, Laurie back again on vocals....it must have been written in his contract to take most of the lead vocals on this album. Terrible, terrible (did I say terrible?), yes, terrible song.

"Hast Past Loving" nearly makes it but obviously doesn't...Martin vocalizing.

"Trust In You" please Laurie...will you just shut up, shut up I say! But he didn't.

So there you have it, an album using the legendary Tom Dowd as a producer manages to create possibly the worst rock albums ever recorded.

Maybe my sentiments are a touch strong....as there are 2 great songs on "Locked In".

Let's say that "Locked In" is *nearly* one of the worst albums ever recorded.

But please download "Rest In Peace" and "Say Goodbye" from iTunes you hopefully will enjoy them both. They are brilliant.

Edited by BarryGlibb - June 06 2021 at 18:18
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>