Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jimi Hendrix appreciation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cboi Sandlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2021 at 11:31
I actually prefer Bold As Love. Also, SGT Peppers is way better than Hendrix’s debut.
Jacob Schoolcraft View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2021 at 17:47
First Rays Of The New Rising Sun I enjoy listening to. Cry Of Love, War Heroes, and Rainbow Bridge I enjoyed in the 70s but Rising Sun holds up well because of how the album flows in its entirety. Supposedly the Hendrix estate discovered a list of songs written by Jimi Hendrix to appear on his next album in that order...If that is in fact true then it could be the explanation for the album having a good flow.

The songs felt darker to me than on his previous recordings. ASTRO Man and In From The Storm are dark songs and that last vocal line in Straight Ahead creates a strange unexplainable vibe. "Hello my friend, so good to see you again, I've been all by myself, I don't think I can make it alone " In some strange way that's really creepy what he is saying. Then there's "Angel" which is like a fantasy about visiting an angel. "Room Full Of Mirrors" again a darker style of a Rock song that I believe could have influenced Mahagony Rush and Robin Trower.

"Night Bird Flying" has a unique arrangement. The guitar harmonies especially. "Isabella" is odd and "Freedom" has interesting breaks. I love this album because it represents change for him.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2021 at 18:18
Originally posted by Cboi Sandlin Cboi Sandlin wrote:

Also, SGT Peppers is way better than Hendrix’s debut.

Yeah I'm afraid this is correct--  I love Jimi with a passion, far more than the Liverpudlians, but in any objective sense Peppers is a superior piece of work.   Even Jimi would agree, as he played the title cut and others from said LP often and with reverence.  

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2021 at 18:29
Originally posted by Cboi Sandlin Cboi Sandlin wrote:

I actually prefer Bold As Love. Also, SGT Peppers is way better than Hendrix’s debut.

Not sure why a comparison is warranted.

They approached music from completely different viewpoints.

Both masterpieces in my world.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2021 at 18:44
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

And it was waaay better than Sgt. Pepper's or any other iconic album in that era of 1966 - 1967.

See, we actually agree on some things...Clap.

Hendrix is a guitar GOD...plus he played with R&B greats like Sam Cooke, Wilson Pickett, Ike & Tina Turner.
Hugh Manatee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2021 at 18:55
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Funny that...Band Of Gypsys to me is like a ‘high water mark’ of Jimi’s showing how far he got with his music. Miles got into Jimi through this album...especially Machine Gun. It was the music that ended up bringing them together.

There is a fantastic 5cd live document with Band of Gypsys called Songs For Groovy Children: The Fillmore East Concerts. Although the sets contained a lot of repeated songs, they are done differently enough that they remain interesting...especially "Machine Gun". 
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2021 at 20:04
^ Great set but incomplete, missing quite a few songs from all four shows.  

There's some good amateur video footage from those sets as well... somewhere on Youtube.

Edited by Atavachron - December 30 2021 at 20:06
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2021 at 04:46
I hate to pop the balloon, but he wasn't a very good guitarist. ;-) 

(Time to go off and hide somewhere.)

If any actual improvising guitarists here would like to put together a reply, that'd be great, but if you can't improvise like Hendrix then you're expressing an opinion and not a fact. ;-) 

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2021 at 11:28
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

If any actual improvising guitarists here would like to put together a reply, that'd be great, but if you can't improvise like Hendrix then you're expressing an opinion and not a fact. ;-) 

Hi,

That's a really tough comment, but I don't know how to discuss it. 

European music, has a lot of guitarists that improvise and experiment left and right. Richard Pinhas, Robert Fripp (not in KC but in other material), the late Michael Karoli (Can), the well known John McLaughlin, Steve Hillage in his solos and meditative stuff and someone in America that Steve Vai has shown/said was one of the best improvisers ever ... Frank Zappa, and there is a clip somewhere in the tube that SV plays for us, and I think it is about 10 minutes long or so, where Frank really does well, and probably pulls off what some Europeans had been doing, as well as John McLaughlin. (Just to name a few right off the bat)

I don't dislike Jimi at all, but HOW HE USED the guitar and the effects was really nicely done, and that is something that many lead guitarists all over do not do well, without over doing an effect and it ends up just sounding mechanical and not fluid ... and this is my beef against a lot of lead guitar stuff in the metal area. It is about the loudness and the noise, and not the music itself, and Jimi, at least, was mostly about the music, and in my book, by the time he got to BoG, I think that the quality had dropped a lot since he now was playing "the blues" and not the more experimental and free form stuff that gave his touch a really good impression. Even though the JHE is, for the most part, just songs, and many ended up on radio, the stuff in BoG was nowhere near as adventurous to my ears as the early material.

It's hard to say ... I think that many of us would wish that Jimi had played for 10 to 20 more years, and try more different things with his guitar, although, I'm not sure that a whole lot of it, would have the explosiveness that the early stuff did when he was blowing people out of the stage!

Edited by moshkito - December 31 2021 at 11:28
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2021 at 12:10
Great post moshkito! Clap

Not sure how serious Dave is, but you don't get to be a universally acclaimed innovator if you're not very good. 
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2021 at 12:12
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

That Experience debut album is astounding. It's like a greatest hits package.

Jack Nicholson reminds me that Jimi Hendrix will forever be remembered as The Shining light of Psychedelic Rock, and the following video is a specially extended version of "Astro Man" (with a suitably astronomical theme), from Jimi's first posthumous solo album: The Cry of Love (1971)

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2021 at 13:25

"If you can't improvise like Hendrix...".   Really?   Who could improvise like Hendrix?   Not even Trower or Hansen could improvise like Hendrix.   Sometimes even Hendrix couldn't improvise like Hendrix.

Anyway, I've been a guitarist for almost forty-five years and the truth is that Jimi, separate from his spontaneous psychedelic inventions, was a supremely accomplished and professional guitar player.   You wouldn't know it if you compare him to a John McLaughlin or an Al DiMeola, but he was.   And frankly I think McLaughlin & DiMeola would be the first ones to acknowledge that.  

The fact is that you don't reach that level of innovation without first mastering traditional playing inside and out.   

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2021 at 14:48
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

"If you can't improvise like Hendrix...".   Really?   Who could improvise like Hendrix?   Not even Trower or Hansen could improvise like Hendrix.   Sometimes even Hendrix couldn't improvise like Hendrix.

Anyway, I've been a guitarist for almost forty-five years and the truth is that Jimi, separate from his spontaneous psychedelic inventions, was a supremely accomplished and professional guitar player.   You wouldn't know it if you compare him to a John McLaughlin or an Al DiMeola, but he was.   And frankly I think McLaughlin & DiMeola would be the first ones to acknowledge that.  

The fact is that you don't reach that level of innovation without first mastering traditional playing inside and out.   

...word to your mother...I'll chalk up Davesax post as a WTF moment, blame it on...umm not sure so still WTF!!! LOL
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2021 at 15:26

You can hear my keyboard playing by clicking on my homepage. Where can we hear your guitar playing to see if you meet the criteria you established as qualifications for evaluating James' guitar playing?

Edited by Easy Money - December 31 2021 at 17:07
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2021 at 17:04
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Hi,

There are many that pretty much love and appreciate Jimi, although we don't listen to different things enough to see it.

One listen to Terje Rypdal in a variety of albums, and then the masterpiece EOS (with just David Darling), shows what his appreciation is all about. This particular album is a sort of "chamber music for electric guitar and bass", and something that rockers can not appreciate because, one - it has no lyrics and two - it is a wonderful chamber music concert, something that rock folks can not even consider or appreciate. But to me, this would be Jimi at his incredible best and how to use the guitar and effects. A very rare performance, and one that Terje would repeat many times doing different things, not just some jazz'y stuff ... I like his rock forays with different folks. Very adventurous and not afraid!

John Weinzierl (Amon Duul 2) would probably never say it, but his work in "YETI" (specially the title cut) and then all the way for many years, is quite far out and inspirational. I am not sure that he would tell you that Jimi is his special friend, but the music has a side and punch to it, that is very similar to Jimi. And it's hard not to love the way his guitar comes and goes everywhere, in things like "Wolf City" (the album) and then the two masterpiece anthems in "Vive La Trance". 

There are many others that appreciated the work and played like it. So, in some ways Jimi's influence was never really forgotten, or left behind, but it gave his imagination an outlet that is still remembered.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2021 at 17:27
^ Nicely put.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2021 at 18:27
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2021 at 18:57
Jimi Hendrix was the demarcation point. There was guitar prior to Hendrix, and then there is everything after. No one single guitarist had as profound effect on the instrument as Jimi Hendrix.

Eric Clapton first witnessed this when he allowed Jimi onto the stage for one song at a 1966 Cream gig in London, subsequently recalling that "He played just about every style you could think of, and not in a flashy way. I mean he did a few of his tricks, like playing with his teeth and behind his back, but it wasn't in an upstaging sense at all, and that was it ... He walked off, and my life was never the same again.” Backstage, an irritated Clapton grumbled to Chas Chandler, "You never told he was that f*cking good." 

How profound? Bob Dylan could never play "All Along the Watchtower" the same ever again:

“It overwhelmed me, really. He had such talent, he could find things inside a song and vigorously develop them. He found things that other people wouldn’t think of finding in there. He probably improved upon it by the spaces he was using....I took license with the song from his version, actually, and continue to do it to this day.”

Dylan added in a liner note: “I liked Jimi Hendrix’s record of this and ever since he died I’ve been doing it that way. Strange how when I sing it, I always feel it’s a tribute to him in some kind of way.”
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2022 at 08:40

Hail one of the true greats in the history of Rock! 
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2022 at 11:36
"Dolly Dagger" - from Jimi Hendrix' second posthumous solo album: Rainbow Bridge (1971)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>