Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Good albums with one bad song

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Good albums with one bad song
    Posted: June 04 2021 at 13:23
I'm talking only about albums that would be nearly flawless were it not for one bad song. Let's exclude albums with major issues throughout. I'm limiting myself to only albums that are found on this site, and I'm not including "bonus tracks" or "alternate takes" that appear on re-issues. Here's my list:

Rush: Moving Pictures - Offending song = "Witch Hunt"
Rush: Hold your Fire - Offending song = "Turn the Page"
Steve Hackett: Spectral Mornings - Offending song = "The Ballad of the Decomposing Man"
Steve Hackett: To Watch the Storms - Offending song = "The Devil is an Englishman"
Supertramp: Even in the Quietest Moments - Offending song = "Babaji"
Manfred Mann's Earth Band: Angel Station - Offending song - "Resurrection"
Pink Floyd: The Division Bell - Offending song = "Lost for Words"
ELP: Brain Salad Surgery - Offending song = "Benny the Bouncer"
Barclay James Harvest: Ring of Changes - Offending song = "Just a Day Away"
Barclay James Harvest: Welcome to the Show - Offending song = "Psychedelic Child"
Marillion: Seasons End - Offending song = "After Me"
Led Zeppelin: In Through the Out Door - Offending song = "Hot Dog"
Queen: News of the World - Offending song = "Get Down Make Love"
Saga: The Security of Illusion - Offending song = "Alone Again Tonight"
Saga: Wildest Dreams - Offending song = "Don't Put Out the Fire"
Genesis: The Lamb lies down on Broadway - Offending song = "The Waiting Room"
Asia: Phoenix - Offending song = "I Will Remember You"

So what are yours?  
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2021 at 13:27
I do like a lot of the songs you posted. But I like humorous stuff/un-serious stuff/pastiche. I'm expecting a lot of Selling England, which always rankled me. More Fool Me is a nice break.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2021 at 13:48
It's funny , when I read the post topic the first song to pop in my head was Witch Hunt. 
I don't really think it's a bad song per say, just my least favorite on the album. 
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2021 at 13:54
Steve Hillage - Fish Rising, where the only bad "song" is Fish. That's my angle anyway. Smile
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2021 at 14:02
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

I do like a lot of the songs you posted. But I like humorous stuff/un-serious stuff/pastiche. I'm expecting a lot of Selling England, which always rankled me. More Fool Me is a nice break.

I love Selling England by the Pound, and have never had a problem with "More Fool Me". Like you said, it provides a quiet respite between the two sides. I've heard some people (including Genesis members) were not happy with "The Battle of Epping Forest" for being a little too "over the top".
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2021 at 15:45
Uriah Heep - Demons and Wizards - "all of my life"

That singing towards the end by David Byron is pretty atrocious. 

Kansas - Monolith - stay out of trouble 

I like most of this album but I think stay out of trouble is pretty much the text book definition of filler. 

Genesis - And then there were three - the ballad of big. Some say scenes from a night's dream or say it's alright Joe. However, for me it's this one. Not horrible but I don't get it. 

Genesis - Abacab - who dunnit OK, we all knew this one was coming

Yes - Drama - man  in a white car Rather pointless but not horrible

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - June 04 2021 at 15:46
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2021 at 15:47
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

It's funny , when I read the post topic the first song to pop in my head was Witch Hunt. 
I don't really think it's a bad song per say, just my least favorite on the album. 

I think witch hunt is great. I love the synth parts on that. For me the weakest track is vital signs. Even that one has grown on me a bit over time though.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2021 at 17:17
I adore both Benny the Bouncer by ELP and Hot Dog by Led Zep (so kill me) while Witch Hunt is a perfectly fine track on Moving Pictures where the real 'diaper burrito' is the cod reggae Vital Signs
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2021 at 17:25
Diaper burrito. LOL

Since Led Zeppelin were mentioned I'll go with LZ 3 with "hats of to Harper" being the stinker on that album. I'm actually bored by since I've been loving you but HotH is the worst. Confused

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - June 04 2021 at 17:27
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2021 at 18:42
These are the first I can think of:

The Police - Synchronicity: "Mother"
The Clash - Sandinista: "If Music Could Talk"
Sigur Rós - Ágætis byrjun: "Olsen Olsen"
Pink Floyd - Piper: "Take Up Thy Stethoscope And Walk"
Pink Floyd - Obscured By Clouds: "The Gold It's In the..."
Radiohead - The Bends: "Black Star"
The Beatles - The Beatles: "Obla di Obla da"
Genesis - Lamb: "The Colony of Slippermen"
The Who - By Numbers: "Squeeze Box"
The Who - Who Are You: "Had Enough"
Queen - A Day At the Races: "Drowse"

Edited by The Anders - June 04 2021 at 18:47
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2021 at 18:49
David Cousins - Two Weeks Last Summer "Going Home"  For me, ruins the rest of the mood of the LP.
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
tigerfeet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2021 at 18:53
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

These are the first I can think of:
Pink Floyd - Piper: "Take Up Thy Stethoscope And Walk"
Pink Floyd - Obscured By Clouds: "The Gold It's In the..."

Interesting!  What did you not like about those two songs ? I can surmise for "The Gold It's in the... " but not for "Take Up Thy Stethoscope And Walk"
I'm sorry, if you were right, I'd agree with you. Robin Williams.
tempest_77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2021 at 20:02
Strawbs, Grave New World. "Ah Me, Ah My" is an awful f***ing song.
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2021 at 06:06
Posts like this always amuse me, because while I occasionally agree, it seems that much of the time I really enjoy the tracks that get called out as “bad songs”.

Obviously, it’s more a case of “albums I like with one song I don’t” more than “good albums with one bad song”, and it’s always interesting to see what people choose. I definitely like more the songs listed so far than not. I may have to think about what albums/songs I could add. 🤔

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2021 at 06:44
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Posts like this always amuse me, because while I occasionally agree, it seems that much of the time I really enjoy the tracks that get called out as “bad songs”.

Obviously, it’s more a case of “albums I like with one song I don’t” more than “good albums with one bad song”, and it’s always interesting to see what people choose. I definitely like more the songs listed so far than not. I may have to think about what albums/songs I could add. 🤔

I agree. Plus Obla di Obla da is hardly the worst song on the White album. For me that album is sort of like the lamb lies down on broadway in that it would have been a very good single album. I still like it but there's definitely filler on it.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - June 05 2021 at 06:45
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2021 at 07:45
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

I agree. Plus Obla di Obla da is hardly the worst song on the White album. For me that album is sort of like the lamb lies down on broadway in that it would have been a very good single album. I still like it but there's definitely filler on it.

Again, very subjective. I’m not sure there is such a thing as filler. Again, just tracks or songs that some people don’t like (or don’t like as much). People rarely agree with what the filler is, so stating what is “filler” is not really any different from stating the “one bad song” on an album. It’s merely stating your preference (or, rather, lack of preference).

BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2021 at 07:56
Originally posted by Steve Wyzard Steve Wyzard wrote:

Genesis: The Lamb lies down on Broadway - Offending song = "The Waiting Room"

"The Waiting Room" is the best track on the album. seriously

Genesis "Selling England by the Pound" - "Awful Me" (that's my name for the song; you know which one I mean)

Edited by BaldJean - June 05 2021 at 07:58

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2021 at 09:35
Hi,

I'm going to say ... NONE.

Every artist has something or other that many of us might not like, but to say that something is crap as opposed to the rest of the work, to me, is sad. It is all a part of the artist, and sometimes many of them are doing it on purpose because folks take them way more seriously than they do themselves.

I have no issues hearing Roy taking a pee or throwing up ... or Kevin for that matter. It's really a part of their chemistry that makes them what they were and did. And I respect that, even if it is not exactly something I would want to show/share with my friends ... but in the two examples mentioned it's like (to me) a commentary on a lot of things, and this social media board is a perfect example ... it's no longer about the artist ... it's about the comments on the social media place!

Are you into the art of it all or just another person that can not say anything about the art of it all?
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2021 at 09:49
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

sometimes many of them are doing it on purpose because folks take them way more seriously than they do themselves.

YOU are the one that is taking some things TOO seriously here... Your "hi"s don't compensate for your discourtesy, your exclamations don't fortify your weak arguments...

Sorry but, we are sharing our subjective views here. I think there are good and bad songs. Sometimes an artist intends to compose a good song, but fails in that. Did you hear the term "intentional fallacy"? 

Your views are your own and sharing them is totally cool; but your obstinacy in trying to force your viewpoint upon the others is an element of displeasure, at least for me, here.

TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheLionOfPrague Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2021 at 10:12
GNR- Use Your Illusion 2 - My World . One of the worst songs ever.

Queen - ANATO - Sweet Lady. Not too bad, but pales in comparison to things like Bohemain Rhapsody, '39, The Prophet's Song, etc.

ELP - ELP - Tank. One of the very few instances in ELP's music where I can see where the "self-indulgence" and "w**kery" criticisms come from. 

Yes - Fragile - Five Percent for Nothing- They could've just titled it "Nothing". 

King Crimson - Red - Providence. Not much going on and sounds out of place. 

The Police - Outlandos D'amour - Be My Girl. Ruins one of the best debuts ever. 
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>