Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Terve from Finland!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SoundsofManala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Terve from Finland!
    Posted: June 07 2021 at 15:56
I found progressive rock in early 90's. Before that I was listening mostly metal. Many metal bands have progressive elements and I gravitated towards those naturally. It was a smooth transition from Iron Maiden and Helloween to Queensryche, Fates Warning, Dream Theater and from there to Rush, Marillion, Yes and the rest.

Hold Your Fire, Seasons End, Union.

Not the most respected set of albums but for me they were (and still are) the perfect blend of great songwriting, progressive elements and that juicy 80's production.

I kind of lost my touch in prog scene in early 2000's as many of my favourite bands were making not-so-great albums. Few years ago I pushed myself into finding new prog music and was pleasantly surprised to find many great new bands. I hope I will find many more from here.

Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2021 at 23:14
Welcome to the forums!
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 00:26
Welcome! So many of my favourite bands and artists come from Finland. Such a great country for inventive music. ❤️🇫🇮

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 00:39
I've never delved into any Finnish prog - any suggestions/recommendations?

nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 00:57
It depends largely on your definition of prog, so ignoring what is or isn’t prog completely, here is what is on my iPod. Potentially, that means I am missing something that isn’t presently on my iPod, but it’s still a pretty good list!

Aeon Antenna
Aho
Laurie Ainala
Amoral
Amorphis
Band of Weeds
Barren Earth
Callisto 
The Chant
Circle
Dai Kaht
Ektroverde
Farmakon
Jukka Gustavson 
Haikara
Hallater
Hexvessel
Hōyry-Kone
Inner Light Orchestra
Jeavestone
Mikko Joenssu
K-X-P
Kairon;IRSE!
Karina
Pekko Käppi
Kataya
Kaukolampi
Kingston Wall
Eero Koivistoinen
Sakari Kukko
Kuolemanlaakso
Liquid Wolf
Malady
Minutian
Naryan
Oddland
Onségan Ensemble
Oranssi Pazuzu
Pekka Pohjola 
Perihelion Ship
Pharaoh Overlord
Piirpauke
Pressure Points
Secret North Ox
Silent Voices
Sisare
Sleep of Monsters
Superfjord
Tasavallan Presidentti
Jukka Tolonen
Trees of Eternity
Waste of Space Orchestra
Wheel
Wigwam
Wintersun

It might be easier if you let me know what sort of music you’re looking for, as there’s almost a bit of everything in there (krautrock, metal, ambient, folk, psych, etc.)

SoundsofManala View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SoundsofManala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 01:47
Wow, that's quite a list! Even I haven't heard all those bands. It goes all the way from metal to jazz.

I would recommend Wigwam and Pekka Pohjola first. They are maybe the best known Finnish prog related artists. Wigwam's Nuclear Nightclub from 1975 is great album. That's where they added some pop elements to their prog.

Pekka Pohjola played bass in Wigwam but started a solo career. He even played with Mike Oldfield for a while. Instrumental, jazz fusion type of music.

Kingston Wall made three psychedelic prog rock albums in 90's. They were an amazing live band. Power trio.

Ageness released good neo prog albums in 90's and 00's. Some Genesis and Yes influences there.

Von Hertzen Brothers can be described as progressive too. They mix weird elements in their pop/rock sound.

Wheel just released a new album. They have Tool-type modern metal sound.

I tried to cover a few different genres quickly there. Hope there's something for your taste!

Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 02:05
For more or less "traditional" prog, I highly recommend Haikara's self titled debut (best Finnish prog album in my opinion) and the follow up Geafar

Dai Kaht is superb zeuhl type stuff. 

For post/kraut/psych, Circle's Meronia, Zopalki, Hissi, Fraten and Pori are no less than essential. 

If you're into classic Tangerine Dream, Siniaalto is worth checking out. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 02:22
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

It depends largely on your definition of prog...

It might be easier if you let me know what sort of music you’re looking for, as there’s almost a bit of everything in there (krautrock, metal, ambient, folk, psych, etc.)

I'm mostly into the  symphonic / psyche-space / eclectic / prog folk genres, with the odd bit of Canterbury / RIO / Electronic.

I DO NOT get on with prog metal, Krautrock or Zeuhl, and most jazz fusion stuff [Santana excepted].

nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 03:19
Originally posted by Progishness Progishness wrote:

It depends largely on your definition of prog...

I'm mostly into the  symphonic / psyche-space / eclectic / prog folk genres, with the odd bit of Canterbury / RIO / Electronic.

I DO NOT get on with prog metal, Krautrock or Zeuhl, and most jazz fusion stuff [Santana excepted].

Hmmmm…..try these three for size. All modern bands, but if you’d prefer some ‘70s stuff, let me know.

nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 04:13
Originally posted by SoundsofManala SoundsofManala wrote:

Wow, that's quite a list! Even I haven't heard all those bands. It goes all the way from metal to jazz.

Yeah, I definitely like a bit of everything. But there’s something about music from Finland, that differentiates itself from other music of the same genre. I don’t know if it’s geography, or history, or culture, or some combination of those, or something else entirely - but there often seems to be a mix of influences from both east and west, so that the resulting music is just different from what one might expect.

I would recommend Wigwam and Pekka Pohjola first. They are maybe the best known Finnish prog related artists. Wigwam's Nuclear Nightclub from 1975 is great album. That's where they added some pop elements to their prog.

Wigwam, and Tasavallan Presidentti! The histories of the two bands are intertwined, and both their music, and the solo careers that followed, are all pretty special.

Haikara is another classic Finnish prog band that are worth checking out, in my opinion.

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 04:15
the new Wheel album is one of the best I heard this year. Tongue
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 04:19
I haven’t heard the new one yet, but I loved their debut.

I think the German Wheel also has put an album out this year.

So with two wheels across two countries, we have an international bicycle! 😜🤪

Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SoundsofManala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 06:22
I'm sure it's a combination of all those things. The eastern influence is in our blood and the western has pretty much invaded the whole cultural landscape of Finland in the past forty years or something. Our cultural identity is based on the notion that Swedish people can do everything better, including music. Smile

I would love to see the two Wheels touring together!

Haven't heard German Wheel yet, I have to give them a spin sometimes.

And Nick, Haikara and Tasavallan Presidentti are really worth checking out! Not really my cup of tea but I respect both very much. I had a chance to see Tasavallan Presidentti live in mid 90's. It was a special occasion since the actual president of Finland at that time, Martti Ahtisaari, was also there to see the show (Tasavallan Presidentti means the president of the republic). President Ahtisaari's son Marko Ahtisaari is actually very skilled bass player and he has played in many bands.

Have you heard Sammal? They have that 70's retro vibe going on with finnish lyrics. They have released three studio albums. Good live band also.

nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 08:55

I'm sure it's a combination of all those things. The eastern influence is in our blood and the western has pretty much invaded the whole cultural landscape of Finland in the past forty years or something. Our cultural identity is based on the notion that Swedish people can do everything better, including music. Smile

I would love to see the two Wheels touring together!

Haven't heard German Wheel yet, I have to give them a spin sometimes.

And Nick, Haikara and Tasavallan Presidentti are really worth checking out! Not really my cup of tea but I respect both very much. I had a chance to see Tasavallan Presidentti live in mid 90's. It was a special occasion since the actual president of Finland at that time, Martti Ahtisaari, was also there to see the show (Tasavallan Presidentti means the president of the republic). President Ahtisaari's son Marko Ahtisaari is actually very skilled bass player and he has played in many bands.

Have you heard Sammal? They have that 70's retro vibe going on with finnish lyrics. They have released three studio albums. Good live band also.

I’ve heard of Sammal, and always meant to check them out, but somehow never have. I really like the bands and artists that choose to sing in Finnish. I have no idea what they’re singing about, but I love the sound of the language.

I would choose Finnish music over Swedish prog any day!

Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoundsofManala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 11:59

I’ve heard of Sammal, and always meant to check them out, but somehow never have. I really like the bands and artists that choose to sing in Finnish. I have no idea what they’re singing about, but I love the sound of the language.

That's interesting! Many people tend to think that Finnish sounds too weird or akward. It's hard to write lyrics in Finnish because our word structures are so different compared to English or other European languages. In poetry it works better, but in music it's very hard. Ten points to those who make it work.

But since you like the language then I must suggest you listen to Absoluuttinen Nollapiste. They are slightly progressive retro-sounding band from Northern Finland with very weird singer and super weird lyrics. Well, they sing in Finnish so obviously you can't tell how weird they are. Tongue

Another Finnish singing band to recommend would be CMX. They started as a punk band back in the 80's, but they have made very different sounding albums since that. Their most prog albums are Dinosaurus Stereophonicus (2000) and Talvikuningas (2007). Some references might be King Crimson, Rush and Pink Floyd. They too have weird singer with super weird lyrics.

I have to admit that I'm a bit jealous of the Swedes ability to produce great sounding music, not to mention their incredible songwriting talent. We are light-years away from that here in Finland. Or at least we used to be. Maybe we are slowly learning.

Conform or be cast out.
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 12:07

I hereby declare you an honorary Finn. Torilla tavataan!

nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 12:30

I have to admit that I'm a bit jealous of the Swedes ability to produce great sounding music, not to mention their incredible songwriting talent. We are light-years away from that here in Finland. Or at least we used to be. Maybe we are slowly learning. 

I don’t think you are light years away at all. There is some fantastic music and song writing from Finns that is at least as good, if not better than the Swedes. Obviously, that is subjective, and there will be plenty of people who disagree. But not only do I prefer Finnish music over that of any Scandinavian country, even within Scandinavia, I probably prefer Norwegian music to Swedish overall. 🤔

nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 12:40
I’m listening to the new album by Confusion Field at the moment, and really enjoying it!
 👍🏻

Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoundsofManala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 13:36
Originally posted by Hiram Hiram wrote:

I hereby declare you an honorary Finn. Torilla tavataan!

I second that. Torille!
Conform or be cast out.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoundsofManala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 13:44

I’m listening to the new album by Confusion Field at the moment, and really enjoying it!
 👍🏻

Thank you so much! I'm amazed you found it, I didn't even mention it. Smile

It's nice to hear so much appreciation towards Finnish music. We get our self-esteem from our ancestors. We're not worthy and so on. I DO think that there are great bands and musicians in Finland, it's just that crossing the border has always been the hard part for us. Surely it has become easier in the last two decades, all those metal bands have showed us the way.
Conform or be cast out.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>