Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your music collection

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your music collection
    Posted: June 08 2021 at 06:56
I noticed another thread on here that started down quite an interesting off-shoot. The music collection.

How big is your collection by now? Do you consider yourself a completionist? Cd versus vinyl...versus tapes and 8-track for the old school rawkers Do you have enough room? Have you ever sold anything that you shouldn’t have? Do you have a rare apricot coloured vinyl copy of Tormato..and why won’t you sell it? Are you a digital only kind of guy/gal? Do you own a NAS..and does it work properly (my friend’s didn’t!)? The questions beckon..and I figure you have plenty more things to add to this, hopefully, very open kind of thread.

I’ll start out by saying that I currently am reaching some sort of tipping point where I either need to stop purchasing music entirely, which isn’t going to happen anytime soon..or find a nifty solution with some cd-furniture. It was getting out of hand a year ago..and now it’s just like living in a messy music store...which I kinda dig but still...there are so much music I am overlooking because it’s hidden in strange dark places.
In getting something like the abovementioned cd-furniture I will most likely alphabetise my music..and hope it stays in an orderly fashion!
I still somewhat collect vinyl but it’s put on hold as 99% of all my listening is done over headphones...and vinyl and cans are just a poor match for my ears. The cds though are still coming through the door. I stopped counting a good while ago

Edited by Guldbamsen - June 08 2021 at 07:19
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 07:27
I do have quite a few CD's (having dispensed with vinyl years ago) but the bulk of my collection is digital now (mostly in the the lossless FLAC format) - currently at around 9,000 tracks [my PC with its excellent soundcard and speakers has a hard drive dedicated purely to media].

Oh yeah once I get into collecting a particular artist I tend to be a bit of a completist, hunting out all the rarities. I do however draw the line at alternate takes, demos, and other 'work in progress' stuff, but anything that was more or less completed (except maybe for a final mix down) but was otherwise unreleased back in the day does tend to get me salivating at the gills.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 07:34
I'd say approximately 850 CD's. Storage will be an issue if I don't stop buying, but for now I'm good. If I don't like a CD I'll sell it. Maybe someone else would love it. I'm not a completist. I grew up with vinyl in the 70's, I still have maybe sixty albums but haven't listened to one since the late 80's and I don't miss the snap, crackle, and pop that you get no matter how well you take care of them. The best things about vinyl were the posters/stickers included, or the ones that folded out were great for deseeding weed. Loved it when CD's came out in the mid 80's and have never looked back. My turntable hasn't worked for a long time, bad belt perhaps. Back in the day, the first spin of vinyl would be recorded onto cassette and we would listen to the cassette over vinyl. For one, you wouldn't have to get up every 18 or so minutes to turn the vinyl over, clean it, yada yada. There was 45 minutes per side on cassette and it was portable. Gotta say I liked cassette's better than vinyl, never liked 8-track (too bulky). Mix tapes were the bomb. And the ones you made (if you had a decent deck) were better than the ones manufactured. However, I don't listen to cassette's anymore. 

Cool thread, hoping to see abundant participation!
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 08:03
Mixed tapes were the best
Half of the process was making them and fiddling with odd time-based maths in my head. Add a friend or two and you effectively get a small party.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 08:17
Hi,

Still have 1500 LP's down from 3K at one time. The weight and the lack of a house that I own is a serious issue and moving is a pain! CD's are up to about 1500 now, although these will likely drop off considerably now that almost everything is downloaded, of which I already can count about 20 of them, but it will likely be 100 before the year is out.

I'm not a "completist" at all ... I simply have the things that I love to listen to and anyone can pick out an album put it on and I will know what it is ... these days I might not remember the title of the piece, but I know the band and the album usually.

Probably the one thing I cherish the most, was the 400 hours of Space Pirate Radio material going back to 1974, of which about 330 to 340 hours survived all the way to 1999 and 2000 and got turned into mp3's and Guy Guden, finally has a copy of all those for his delectation! The amount of music and the mix of things and the "mind melts" and the various insania that Guy included in his shows is above and beyond anything that anyone can do on "radio", when almost all of the shows around are just a top of the pops thing with favorites, and here, it is not difficult to go from Debussy to Tomita to Faust in one swell foop ... and it is great fun! These shows had almost all been done on 120 cassette tapes and the ones that made it to 26 years were all Maxell's or TDK's. The shows that did not survive? You got it ... some of them were on Radio Shack's toilet paper tape!

But there are things I still don't know what they are and one of them is what appears to be one of those Miles' like horns doing something with eastern music, which is very meditative but on the jazz side of things ... I have never found that piece of music, and it is not Miles or some of the names that are usually listed with "eastern" influences in jazz. For that matter, that one classic pop song ... something like "ohh mau mau, oh mau mau .... " (similar to that) which I have never found out who it was!

Other than that ... it is all here including some classic music that is not listed. At least 100 albums worth of those! C'mon ... you're not gonna have Bernstein's The Rite of Spring? Or one of Leinsdorf's Turandot's specially one with Nilsson and Tebaldi dueting their way to hell and back with Mario Del Monaco buried in the middle! Or Gigli doing Tosca?

You don't love music, then!

Edited by moshkito - June 08 2021 at 08:19
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 08:45
How big? Too friggin big. Last time i counted it was well over 10,000 albums.
I'm overwhelmed and dreading moving LOL

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 09:16
I have no idea. I would guess around 2500 CDs, and goodness knows how many MP3 albums (though certainly far less than I have CDs).

I used to be a completionist when I was younger, but I gave that up long ago. I haven’t worried about having “everything” for about 25 years, and I’m very glad I stopped feeling that compulsion.

Everything is in alphabetical order, because that’s the only thing that makes sense to me. I could never order by genre, as so many bands and artists either make music that takes in more than one genre, or have changed genre over time.

That means whether it is classical, jazz, metal, hip hop, pop, rock or any other genre, it’s all in together, in alphabetical order. I thought this was normal until I came to this forum, and found people ordering by record label, or by genre, or anything else other than alphabetically.

When it comes to MP3s, tagging does allow a lot more “organisation” so I tend to retag as necessary whenever I add to my MP3 library, but again am not too worried about genre. Rather I note the country of origin - so that I can quickly see what I have from, for example (in a recent post on the forum) Finland.

Because I like to have my MP3s sorted in the same alphabetical fashion as my CDs, then I also amend the sorting tag where necessary so that, for example, Peter Hammill still displays as Peter Hammill, but is sorted Hammill Peter.

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 09:22
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

I have no idea. I would guess around 2500 CDs, and goodness knows how many MP3 albums (though certainly far less than I have CDs).

I used to be a completionist when I was younger, but I gave that up long ago. I haven’t worried about having “everything” for about 25 years, and I’m very glad I stopped feeling that compulsion.

Everything is in alphabetical order, because that’s the only thing that makes sense to me. I could never order by genre, as so many bands and artists either make music that takes in more than one genre, or have changed genre over time.

That means whether it is classical, jazz, metal, hip hop, pop, rock or any other genre, it’s all in together, in alphabetical order. I thought this was normal until I came to this forum, and found people ordering by record label, or by genre, or anything else other than alphabetically.

When it comes to MP3s, tagging does allow a lot more “organisation” so I tend to retag as necessary whenever I add to my MP3 library, but again am not too worried about genre. Rather I note the country of origin - so that I can quickly see what I have from, for example (in a recent post on the forum) Finland.

Because I like to have my MP3s sorted in the same alphabetical fashion as my CDs, then I also amend the sorting tag where necessary so that, for example, Peter Hammill still displays as Peter Hammill, but is sorted Hammill Peter.

I'm the same way. EVERYTHING is alphabetical regardless of genre. The only exception is classical music which has many artists. I own the music because of the composer so i sort by Mozart, Bach, Beethoven instead of whichever artists are performing. Various artists, soundtracks and spoken word albums (such as comedy) also exist in their own section.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 09:59
I posted this 16 years ago. The list is of course outdated meanwhile; lots of artists have been added. We digitalized our whole collection meanwhile.

Revised and complete list of our collection; new additions in red. The first list was off the top of my head. I also listed solo projects of artists that played in certain bands seperately this time. This especially refers to bands like Gong and Hawkwind. The entry for "Amon Düül" was split up into three, as should be done.

Unless otherwise noted we have ALL of the official records of the listed artists.

Aera
Agitation Free
Aksak Maboul
Allen, Daevid (including his collaborations with others)
Amon Düül (German)
Amon Düül (British)
Amon Düül 2
Anderson, Jon (only "Olias of Sunhillow")
Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, Howe
Anima
Annexus Quam
Aphrodite's Child (only "666")
Art Bears
Arzachel
Ash Ra Tempel
Ashra
Atlantis (not quite prog, though they have their prog influences; I'll name them nevertheless)
Atomic Rooster
Bainbridge, Harvey
Barrett, Syd
Belew, Adrian
Between (not in the archives yet! Philippe, your job!)
Birth Control
Blake, Tim
Blegvad, Peter
Blegvad; Peter & Greaves, John
Blodwyn Pig
Boulé, Christian (missing in the archives)
Brainbox
Brainstorm
Brainticket
Brand X
Brock, Dave
Bruford
Bunka, Roman
Calvert, Robert
Camel (only until Rain Dances)
Can
Captain Beyond
Caravan
Catapilla
Catharsis
Circus (British, not listed in the archives, a band in which Mel Collins of King Crimson played, only one eponymous record from 1970)
Clearlight
Cluster
Colosseum
Colosseum II
Cosmic Jokers
Cross, David
Curved Air
Deep Freeze Mice (they definitely should be in the archives!!!)
Deuter (not in the archives yet! another job for Philippe)
Dissidenten, Die
Dzyan (missing the first self-titled one)
Earthworks
Echo City (not yet in the archives; a band, in which Guy Evans of VdGG played)
Egg

ELP
Embryo
Eno, Brian (why the hell is he not in the archives?)
Eroc (only first 2 albums)
Far East Family Band (only "Nipponjin")
Faust
Floh de Cologne (Krautrock, not in the archives; only "Geier-Symphonie")
Focus
Fripp, Robert
Fripp & Eno
Froese, Edgar
Frumpy (Jean and I consider them to be prog, they should be added)
Fruup (only "Modern Masquerades")
Gabriel, Peter
Genesis (with some exceptions here; we stopped after "Seconds Out")
Gentle Giant
Gila
Giles, Giles & Fripp
Gilgamesh
Goblin
Göttsching, Manuel
Golowin, Sergius

Gong
Gongzilla
Greenslade
Greenslade, Dave
Grobschnitt
Gryphon
GTR

Guru Guru
Hackett, Steve
Hamel, Peter Michael
Hammill, Peter
Hammill, Peter & Evans, Guy

Hansson, Bo
Harmonia
Hatfield and the North
Hawkwind
Henry Cow
Here and Now
High Tide
Highdelberg (one-off album with members of Guru Guru, Cluster and Kraan)
Hillage, Steve

Hoelderlin
Howe, Steve
Ihre Kinder
In Cahoots (not in the archives!!!)
Inner City Unit (prog punk; yes, we are of the opinion this category exists; Inner City Unit are proof for that)
Invisible Opera Company of Tibet (also not in the archives yet!)

Jade Warrior
Jane
Jethro Tull
Jobson, Eddie
Joliffe, Steve (only "Journies Out of the Body"; missing in the archives)
Kalacakra
Karrer, Chris
Khan

King Crimson
Kraan
Kraftwerk
Krause, Dagmar
La Düsseldorf
Lancaster, Jack
Liliental
Long Hello, The
Magma
Manzanera, Phil (should be added to the archives)
Matching Mole
Missus Beastly
Moebius & Roedelius
Mother Gong
Moraz, Patrick
Mythos (only first album)

National Health
Nektar
Neu
New York Gong
Pink Fairies

Pink Floyd
Planet Gong
Popol Vuh
Oldfield, Mike (up to a certain point; we didn't need the 37th variation of "Tubular Bells")
Ougenweide
Ozric Tentacles
Queen
Quiet Sun
Quintessence
Release Music Orchestra (fusion oriented Krautrock; not in the archives yet)
Residents, The
Return to Forever
Richard Wahnfried
Roedelius, Hans Joachim
Roland und die Dadadogs (not in the archives)
Rother, Michael (only "Sterntaler" and "Flammende Herzen")
Ruphus
Sahara (Krautrock, not in the archives; we only have "Sunrise" of their albums)
Schnitzler, Konrad (only "Con", "Rot" and "Blau", his albums are hard to get, since they mostly appear in very limited editions only)
Schulze, Klaus
Smyth, Gilli
Snakefinger
Soft Head
Soft Heap
Soft Machine
Sphynx, Nik Turner's
Squire, Chris
Swindells, Steve (only "Fresh Blood")

Tangerine Dream (only up until "Le Parc")
Traffic
Turner, Nik (not in the archives yet)
UK
Univers Zero
University of Errors (not in the archives yet)
Utopia (German)

Utopia (Todd Rundgren's)
Van der Graaf Generator
Vander, Christian
Vangelis
Vanilla Fudge
Verdeaux, Cyrille
Wakeman, Rick (only a few albums though)
Wallenstein (only first three albums)
Weather Report
Weidörje
Wolf
Wyatt, Robert
Xhol Caravan
Yatha Sidhra
Yes
Zappa, Frank

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 10:26
Probably about 3,500 but I haven't counted. I'll do that soon.
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 10:42
I own 478 CDs and CD sets, all stored on three Ikea shelves; the moment those become completely full is fast approaching and I'm not sure where I'm going to put the fourth one I'll inevitably have to buy... All CDs are ordered alphabetically by artist regardless of genre, and chronologically within artist subsections. Even soundtrack albums get filed under the (lead) composer's name. Classical music albums are tricky since most of them are compilations: I generally file them under the composer's name, and sort them chronologically (based on the first track if a disc contains works from different years); if a disc contains works by multiple composers I file them under the first composer listed on the spine, and if none are listed on the spine they go in the "various artists" section along with any non-classical multi-artist compilation albums.

The most valuable item in the collection is probably a 4-CD box set of Karlheinz Stockhausen's Hymnen which includes a 200-page booklet containing intricate details about the composition, the process by which it came about and the madman who thought it all up. Cost me €70 in total which is the most I've ever paid for a music-holding item by a large margin.

I do not own any vinyl but I am expecting one cassette to arrive in the mail any day now, which will then comprise my entire cassette collection. I guess I should maybe look into buying something to actually play it on...  🤔
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 10:53
 Not a completist at all....I only buy it if I like the album and will play it. I make an exception if I get a good buy on something collectable like orignal prog or psych vinyl. I'll buy it even if the music is not up my alley because I know it's worth something to collectors if I decide to unload it.
 I still look for that odd piece of used vinyl if it's in good shape but in the last 10 years I have become picky about what I buy. Sadly in the late 80's I dumped a lot of vinyl to buy cd's instead not thinking about the loss of the original vinyl....so I might end up buying first Allman Bros lp or Goodbye by Cream even though I have them on cd.

Currently have about 1,000 pieces of vinyl and about 500 cd's. I don't buy many new cd's except for a few favorites like Wobbler , IQ,  KC,  etc. I still look for obscure vinyl for fun (and profit) and soon will pick up Gracious! and Mighty Baby on original vinyl. 
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 11:28
LP's = 1065 (down from high of 1200)
CD's = 1270
Digital = 10,000 Albums, maybe more maybe less (but I doubt it) All I know is...FAR TOO MANY !
Tapes (cassette only) = 10

Not a completest except for those few bands I love sooo much.
Catalogued and stored (alphabetically/chronologically).
Been in the same house for almost 30 years and have a fair sized basement office that houses all my media collections (incl. movies and photography)
LP's are in plastic cover sleeves and in pine box bins my dad built for me when I was a teenager. The CD's are in 3 wood racks, one I bought at a record store, the other two made for me by an appreciative contractor based on the design of the first.

Yes, I regret loosing about 110 of my LP's back at the beginning of the CD craz. Once I bought the CD, if the packaging was the same as the LP I traded the LP in for $$ to buy more CD's. Believe me, I've kicked myself enough over that brain fart.
These days I usually only buy used LP's to replace those gems I had.  But not many and not often.
My entire collection is in my will to my son.

I have a few rare ones I guess.
Asia's debut - inner sleeve signed by entire band and Program from their first concert
Police - Syncronicity (Duane Michals, cover photographer, Signed Sleeve)

A few coloured LP's
Steely Dan  - Aja (Red)
Beatles - Sergeant Pepper's (Pink/Grey Swirl Marbled vinyl)
Beatles - The White Album (White Vinyl)
The Cars - The Cars (Blue Translucent Vinyl)
The Glass Orchestra - The Glass Orchestra (Clear Vinyl)
Ron Moore and the Angel Band - The Live Studio Concert (Blue Vinyl)
Split Enz - True Colours (Laser Etched)
Styx - Pieces of Eight (Gold Vinyl)
Synergy - Cords (Clear Vinyl)
Tomita - The Bermuda Triangle (Coral Vinyl)

A few bootlegs
Bowie - Frankfurt Festhalle
ELP - 72-07-28 Celestial Doggie and the Lobster Quadrille - Long Beach Arena
ELP - 74-02-10 The Callow and Crash and Idle Eye
ELP - 74-06-04 California Jam
ELP - 77-08-12 Looking Out for #1 Long Beach Arena
Peter Gabriel -  77-04-09 Live at the Roxy
Gentle Giant - Playing The Foole

Edited by JD - June 08 2021 at 14:37
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 11:28
I have a fairly modest collection compared to many folks here, about 500 CD's . Sadly I don't have vinyl anymore . It was all lost in the great CD migration of the 1980's ( Google it kids! Wink

I'm not a completist , I find that even my favorite bands have a few less desirable albums in their discography  so I only get the stuff I like.  I am happy to say that since joining PA I have added a lot to my collection & discovered many artists I wasn't familiar with so that's been nice. 
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 12:21
I have about 250 CDs at the moment but I keep buying more little by little. They are in Ikea CD shelves in alphabetical order and chronological for the artist. My wife has a couple of hundred classical music CDs and they're in chronological order. I think that makes sense with that stuff. 

At best/worst I had maybe 2000 CDs, 500 LPs, 200 7"s and 300 cassettes at one point but then had a huge purge that left me with 100 or so CDs. I don't have a vinyl player or tape deck anymore. 

Now I only keep stuff I know for sure I'll return to. If I don't like something, I'll sell it or rather trade or give it away. I don't think I have full discographies of any artists. I'm generally not interested in compilations, box sets, live albums or EPs/singles. Just plain studio albums. 

I've never bought a digital release and I don't see myself doing it anytime soon. But we'll see. 

Vinyl is past, digital is today and CD is future. Wink
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 12:45
I usually buy an average of one CD per day, but sometimes I go completely overboard and buy 30 CD's all in one go. I currently have around 3,000 CD's, although I haven't counted them, but I have counted and catalogued my entire prog collection below, which currently totals 568 CD's:-

Canterbury Scene Total Albums = 14

Caravan (10); Steve Hillage (4)

Crossover Prog Total Albums = 98

Argent (1); Barclay James Harvest (6); Be Bop Deluxe (5); Kate Bush (8); Electric Light Orchestra (8); Peter Gabriel (1); Justin Hayward & John Lodge (1);  Kayak (2); The Moody Blues (16); Mike Oldfield (14); Sally Oldfield (3); The Alan Parsons Project (6); Robert Plant (5); Procol Harum (4); Radiohead (3); Rare Bird (2); Roxy Music (2); Todd Rundgren (5); Supertramp (3); Talk Talk (1); Roger Waters (2)

Eclectic Prog Total Albums = 17

Frumpy (1); Steve Hackett (5); King Crimson (1); Sky (2); Traffic (6); Van der Graaf Generator (2)

Heavy Prog Total Albums = 18

Porcupine Tree (5); Rush (3); Uriah Heep (10)

Indo Prog/Raga Rock Total Albums = 2

Quintessence (2)

Jazz-Rock/Fusion Total Albums = 74

Jeff Beck (5); Blood, Sweat & Tears (5); Chicago (6); Billy Cobham (1); Colosseum (1); Miles Davis (2); George Duke (8); Jan Hammer (1); Herbie Hancock (3); Return to Forever (1); Santana (30); Carlos Santana (1); Solution (2); Steely Dan (3); Lenny White (5)

Krautrock Total Albums = 1

Holger Czukay (1) 

Prog Folk Total Albums = 54

Amazing Blondel (1); Tim Buckley (5); Clannad (6); Dead Can Dance (7); Judy Dyble (1); Espers (3); Iona (1); Jethro Tull (6); Loudest Whisper (1); John Martyn (3); Mellow Candle (1); Mostly Autumn (3); Pentangle (2); Strawbs (7); Trader Horne (1); Trees (2); Trembling Bells (4)

Prog Related Total Albums = 99

Jon Anderson (1); Asia (1); Peter Bardens (1); Black Sabbath (4); Blue Oyster Cult (8); David Bowie (10); Budgie (3); Fairport Convention (6); Flied Egg (1); David Gilmour (5); Roger Glover (1); Japan (1); Jean Michele Jarre (2); Jon & Vangelis (5); Journey (2); Led Zeppelin (14); Magna Carta (6); Mercury Rev (3); Jimmy Page & Robert Plant (2); Queen (9); Rainbow (1); Styx (1); Super Furry Animals (5); Vangelis (3); Wishbone Ash (4)

Progressive Electronic Total Albums = 27

Ian Boddy (5); Edgar Froese (5); Kitaro (1); Mark Shreeve (3); Tangerine Dream (12); Wavestar (1)

Progressive Metal Total Albums = 15

Dream Theater (7); Epica (1); Nightwish (7)

Proto Prog Total Albums = 62

Andromeda (1); The Beatles (5); Deep Purple (2); The Doors (8); The Gods (1); H.P. Lovecraft (2); Jimi Hendrix (5); Iron Butterfly (5); It's a Beautiful Day (2); Jefferson Airplane (10); Nirvana (1); The Pretty Things (2); Spirit (5); Spooky Tooth (7); Tomorrow (1); Vanilla Fudge (5)

Psychedelic/Space Rock Total Albums = 26

Arcadium (1); Astra (2); Group 1850 (2);  Hawkwind (3); Jade Warrior (2); Man (5); Pink Floyd (9); Pond (2)

Symphonic Prog Total Albums =61

Camel (9); Earth and Fire (2); Emerson, Lake & Palmer (1); The Enid (2); Fruupp (2); Genesis (9); Greenslade (1); Kansas (6); Nick Magnus (1); Renaissance (10); Rick Wakeman (5); Yes (13)

Total number of prog albums across all genres = 568

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - June 08 2021 at 15:16
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 13:04
I have approximately 120 cassette tapes! And my tape machine doesn't even work properly anymore.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 14:02
I have around 1500 CD's and around 700 download albums. Download is around 90% of my purchases these days. I probably have a couple of hundred LP's but I don't have a turntable so they're in a few boxes at my daughters (she has more room). We are out of space so it's digital going forward.

I'm a completist on a few bands who mean a lot to me:-

King Crimson - 30 (all studio and quite a few live albums)
Henry Cow - 15 
Univers Zero - 13

There's quite a few who are autobuy but I wouldn't call me a completist as they only have 4 or 5 albums out. It's like saying you're a completist of bands with only one album. 

I did a breakdown recently

Avante Garde 591
Modern Jazz 157
Eclectic 147
Fusion 130
Crossover 103
Electronic 98
Canterbury 82

50's 9
60's 31
70's 446
80's 177
90's 200
00's 399
10's 736
20's 111

Eng 601
USA 569
Fra 206
Var 113
Ger 83
Bel 70
Can 61
Swe 54
Ita 45
Nor 43
Swz 40
Jpn 31

Art Zoyd (32)
King Crimson (30)
Mike Oldfield (16)
Henry Cow (15)
Tangerine Dream (14)
Pink Floyd (14)
Univers Zero (13)
Magma (12)
Jethro Tull (12)
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 14:11
All CDs for me...vinyls too expensive, impractical, and fragile...mp3s have no substance and I feel physically pained to give away money for nothing. I started buying music in earnest in 2005. I lost count many moons ago to total numbers after I filled my ipod, which doubled as a device to keep track of my collection. (This happened in like 2011) The number is probably embarrassingly high, but I still buy as there is alot of music out there. I've fully accepted that this is how it is and am prepared to live with the consequences...one of them being when I buy a house I will need one room solely for musical entities. 

As for organization...I've said this before but, I can't fathom how people do it alphabetically. My brain wants to explode at the mere thought of having to move nearly my entire collection when I buy a new Acid Mothers Temple CD. I ran out of proper shelf space awhile back, so now they are organized in rough groups, chronologically related to when I bought them. not an ideal system, admittedly, but it does the trick for me (and lets be honest that's all the matters). 

I suppose I am a compilationist to a point...I'm not going to purposely buy CDs I don't like, just because they were made by an artist I like. That said, if I can't find samples available, I sometimes will give it a benefit of the doubt, given the lineup and description. This has bitten my ass a few times. One day I'll go through my collection and separate out the things I'm comfortable sellling...but that's a sh*tton of work I don't really have the energy do to atm. 

Edited by Man With Hat - June 08 2021 at 14:12
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 14:11
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

I posted this 16 years ago. The list is of course outdated meanwhile; lots of artists have been added. We digitalized our whole collection meanwhile.

Revised and complete list of our collection; new additions in red. The first list was off the top of my head. I also listed solo projects of artists that played in certain bands seperately this time. This especially refers to bands like Gong and Hawkwind. The entry for "Amon Düül" was split up into three, as should be done.

Unless otherwise noted we have ALL of the official records of the listed artists.

Dear God that's impressive, what does that run to >10,000?

Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>