Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your music collection

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 14:48
My major music platform is a Vortexbox NAS. I'm on the second one, the first one broke down after some eight years but no data loss, and I have two copies of the data in different places, so I hope I will not lose a major part of my collection because of some digital disaster. I'm pretty happy with that. Love to play "random over everything". Also it counts for me; it says I have 2190 albums right now, otherwise I wouldn't know. On top of that I still have maybe 500 LPs that I haven't digitised; I have a turntable but don't use it very often as I either have digitised or bought as files all LPs that I thought I want to listen to. There are also CDs still hanging around in the basement but the music on them is all eaten by the Vortexbox. Even cassette tapes. Once in 9 months I dig one out that has something that I don't have anywhere else (in fact I have digitised or bought all the best stuff on them, too; but maybe there are 100-200 albums more sleeping on them). Just too lazy to get rid of them. 

I'm maybe the opposite of a completionist. I make sure I regularly buy artists/bands that are new to me and in turn forget to check what those I already love come up with. There is far too much great music around for me to listen to. Biggest resource problem is really time. Space is not an issue with the Box, and money, well, I'm not big on other expensive things. Not having a car and doing 99% of all getting around by bike saves a lot of money. In the old days I knew of major new releases of my favourites, but now I pick up music kind of randomly, by recommendation (including PA), picking up something good somewhere, maybe also sniffing around a few hours every other week or so. 
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 14:51
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

All CDs for me...vinyls too expensive, impractical, and fragile...mp3s have no substance and I feel physically pained to give away money for nothing.
I agree, I've hated the way things like music, movies and softwares have gone. A serial number or code that lets you get some 0's and 1's. You pay to have your eye flickered or your ear drum vibrated. But JD like the touchy touchy.

Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

As for organization...I've said this before but, I can't fathom how people do it alphabetically. My brain wants to explode at the mere thought of having to move nearly my entire collection when I buy a new Acid Mothers Temple CD. [EDIT] but it does the trick for me (and lets be honest that's all the matters).
I can't imagine NOT having it alphabetically. I'm not sure how many you buy how often, but I leave spaces in mine to allow for some integration. I only need to move some levels occasionally.

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 15:09
Honestly, I don't really get the attitude that it has to be something material. I mean, OK, I love a nice LP cover, and the discussion about what sounds better is legit, but other than that, music is for the ears, and I want to pay the artists for their imagination and work, not the company that puts some vinyl or polycarbonate plastic in my place. The world is too full of stuff anyway. 

Edited by Lewian - June 08 2021 at 15:10
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 15:10
I did things the other way round. As I was moving around a lot with work, all my vinyl got boxed up and moved from attic to attic (basically forgotten about). Most of the CDs I'd bought from the 80s onwards I eventually got rid of about 8 years ago and went mainly online. Now though, retired, I'm glad I kept all my records and carried on collecting them (also buy CDs too). All stored alphabetically and neatly in various places around the house. About 500 lps and 12" and 200 CDs (and electronic media).
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 15:15
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Mixed tapes were the best
Half of the process was making them and fiddling with odd time-based maths in my head. Add a friend or two and you effectively get a small party.

I have done and occasionally still do mix CDs in the digital age.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 15:41
I've been cataloging my collection on Rate Your Music for well over a year now. Almost up to 1900 CDs and CDRs. Still have several dozen that I haven't entered because the artist isn't listed on RYM and will need to do some research to add them. A lot of these were independent artists that I found on the old mp3.com website that existed from 1998 to 2003. I'm buying about 15 CDs a month, so I expect to break 2000 by year's end.

I used to have over 300 LPs, but sold the bulk of these back in the 1990s only keeping some things I thought might be rare some day. I think I might have about 30 LPs left. I have a handful of cassettes, but sold most of these at yard sales. I still have maybe 30-40 mix-tapes I made from my vinyl collection back in the 1980s. I don't know how many downloads I own, because I only buy these when a physical CD isn't available (maybe 50?). I burn them to a CDr, keeping the FLAC file on an external hard drive. I don't have enough space to store these on my PC because that machine is devoted to my own music projects.

The CDs are stored in one single tower, a double tower, and a six-drawer dresser. I'm out of room and now have a couple piles on top of the dresser. I'm planning on buying two larger rotating towers that should hold the whole collection with plenty of room to spare, but it's probably going to cost me close to $1000. The LPs are stored in an old piece of furniture that my grandmother owned where she kept her LPs and also doubled as a telephone table. All the cassettes are in shoe boxes and stored in a closet.

The CD collection is sorted alphabetically by artist/band. Within each artist it's sorted by year of release for studio/live albums. Compilations and tribute albums (like the Magna Carta tribute to Genesis) are filed at the end of each artist. Various artist compilations (like the CDs that come with Prog Magazine or samplers from Cyclops) are filed after Z and in alphabetical order. The only genre I keep separate is classical music because I only have a handful of these. Classical music is filed after various artists. Filing order is numbers, followed by A-Z. Leading articles are ignored in filing (The Flower Kings are filed under F, not T). Solo artists are filed under surname (David Bowie goes in B, not D). I don't believe I have anything in another alphabet (some titles are, but the group names aren't). If I did I would file it under the romanized equivalent in the Latin alphabet (The cyrillic Д would be D; the Greek θ would be Th).

I also have a storage problem with my book collection, but that's for another forum...

Edited by progaardvark - June 08 2021 at 15:44
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 17:58
I’ve got something like 4500 CD titles (i.e. multi-disc sets count as 1) and about 1900 LPs. I confess I am kind of a completionist, if an artist has 10 albums, say, and I have 6 of them already, there will be a strong impetus to get the rest. I’m currently itching about the fact that there are just 2-3 Billy Joel albums I don’t have. And I’m not even a huge Billy Joel fan.

Within my collection, I seem to like to keep an artist’s discography “format-pure” (cue rolling of eyes), meaning I’d rather either have them all on vinyl or all on CD (depending on the artist), or even sometimes both. But having 2 of their albums on LP and 3 others on CD is less satisfying to me somehow. Nothing major, just a little tendency/quirk I just thought of.

I’m pretty much out of CD storage space until I come up with a new idea. They’re all on floor-to-ceiling Ikea shelves, hiding in a closet in the basement with my stereo system. It’s a finished basement so there are speakers hooked up in the basement and it’s my listening room as well as my office (as of the pandemic). My vinyl is on display in that room, and I love sorting through it and pulling out old things I haven’t heard in years or decades. My vinyl collection has much more room to grow, so I try to buy more of them than CDs nowadays. I prefer to buy used originsls rather than expensive represses, and I know a few places nearby I can get them for very reasonable prices - no $30 records for me, thanks. Not many, anyway. I’m not that disciplined.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 23:37
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Mixed tapes were the best
Half of the process was making them and fiddling with odd time-based maths in my head. Add a friend or two and you effectively get a small party.

I have done and occasionally still do mix CDs in the digital age.

I did so to up until maybe 2008. I clearly remember prepping for The Roskilde Festival with a buddy of mine making mixed cds and drinking beers like there was no tomorrow. The cool thing about the whole process was forgetting everything about what tracks you’d put on these discs...and then when the festival started it was like having this ninja dj with us that constantly kept playing humdingers...that surprised us just as much as the rest of the camp. Good times indeed.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2021 at 07:42
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Honestly, I don't really get the attitude that it has to be something material. I mean, OK, I love a nice LP cover, and the discussion about what sounds better is legit, but other than that, music is for the ears, and I want to pay the artists for their imagination and work, not the company that puts some vinyl or polycarbonate plastic in my place. The world is too full of stuff anyway. 

My attitude exactly.  I can't understand why folks need vinyl or plastic. If you pay for telephone service or cable TV or streaming music or internet, you're paying for nothing other than 1's and 0's -- not physical things.  The 1's and 0's of these services flow straight thru your ears (or eyes) and into the bit-bucket.  At least with MP3's (or other such formats), you own a copy of the 1's and 0's forever, and they consume an insignificant amount of physical space to store them -- even with multiple backups.

I will still occasionally purchase a CD if I can't find it in MP3. All my other CDs and LPs were purchased back before the digital technology matured.

So to answer the OP's question...
     MP3 albums - 529
     CD albums (from way back) - 360
     LP albums (from way, way back) - 231

I am definitely NOT a completionist. I rarely like everything an artist has ever produced.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2021 at 08:11
Originally posted by wiz_d_kidd wiz_d_kidd wrote:

My attitude exactly.  I can't understand why folks need vinyl or plastic. If you pay for telephone service or cable TV or streaming music or internet, you're paying for nothing other than 1's and 0's -- not physical things.  The 1's and 0's of these services flow straight thru your ears (or eyes) and into the bit-bucket.  At least with MP3's (or other such formats), you own a copy of the 1's and 0's forever, and they consume an insignificant amount of physical space to store them -- even with multiple backups.

Maybe it's because I'm old but I still prefer to have something physical (CDs not vinyl). I have a quite a few albums as MP3 only and they're just sitting on my PC and I forget I have them. 
Oh, and you can't get the artist to sign an MP3 file.
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2021 at 08:16
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I usually buy an average of one CD per day, but sometimes I go completely overboard and buy 30 CD's all in one go. I currently have around 3,000 CD's, although I haven't counted them, but I have counted and catalogued my entire prog collection below, which currently totals 568 CD's:-

Canterbury Scene Total Albums = 14

Caravan (10); Steve Hillage (4)

Crossover Prog Total Albums = 98

Argent (1); Barclay James Harvest (6); Be Bop Deluxe (5); Kate Bush (8); Electric Light Orchestra (8); Peter Gabriel (1); Justin Hayward & John Lodge (1);  Kayak (2); The Moody Blues (16); Mike Oldfield (14); Sally Oldfield (3); The Alan Parsons Project (6); Robert Plant (5); Procol Harum (4); Radiohead (3); Rare Bird (2); Roxy Music (2); Todd Rundgren (5); Supertramp (3); Talk Talk (1); Roger Waters (2)

Eclectic Prog Total Albums = 17

Frumpy (1); Steve Hackett (5); King Crimson (1); Sky (2); Traffic (6); Van der Graaf Generator (2)

Heavy Prog Total Albums = 18

Porcupine Tree (5); Rush (3); Uriah Heep (10)

Indo Prog/Raga Rock Total Albums = 2

Quintessence (2)

Jazz-Rock/Fusion Total Albums = 74

Jeff Beck (5); Blood, Sweat & Tears (5); Chicago (6); Billy Cobham (1); Colosseum (1); Miles Davis (2); George Duke (8); Jan Hammer (1); Herbie Hancock (3); Return to Forever (1); Santana (30); Carlos Santana (1); Solution (2); Steely Dan (3); Lenny White (5)

Krautrock Total Albums = 1

Holger Czukay (1) 

Prog Folk Total Albums = 54

Amazing Blondel (1); Tim Buckley (5); Clannad (6); Dead Can Dance (7); Judy Dyble (1); Espers (3); Iona (1); Jethro Tull (6); Loudest Whisper (1); John Martyn (3); Mellow Candle (1); Mostly Autumn (3); Pentangle (2); Strawbs (7); Trader Horne (1); Trees (2); Trembling Bells (4)

Prog Related Total Albums = 99

Jon Anderson (1); Asia (1); Peter Bardens (1); Black Sabbath (4); Blue Oyster Cult (8); David Bowie (10); Budgie (3); Fairport Convention (6); Flied Egg (1); David Gilmour (5); Roger Glover (1); Japan (1); Jean Michele Jarre (2); Jon & Vangelis (5); Journey (2); Led Zeppelin (14); Magna Carta (6); Mercury Rev (3); Jimmy Page & Robert Plant (2); Queen (9); Rainbow (1); Styx (1); Super Furry Animals (5); Vangelis (3); Wishbone Ash (4)

Progressive Electronic Total Albums = 27

Ian Boddy (5); Edgar Froese (5); Kitaro (1); Mark Shreeve (3); Tangerine Dream (12); Wavestar (1)

Progressive Metal Total Albums = 15

Dream Theater (7); Epica (1); Nightwish (7)

Proto Prog Total Albums = 62

Andromeda (1); The Beatles (5); Deep Purple (2); The Doors (8); The Gods (1); H.P. Lovecraft (2); Jimi Hendrix (5); Iron Butterfly (5); It's a Beautiful Day (2); Jefferson Airplane (10); Nirvana (1); The Pretty Things (2); Spirit (5); Spooky Tooth (7); Tomorrow (1); Vanilla Fudge (5)

Psychedelic/Space Rock Total Albums = 26

Arcadium (1); Astra (2); Group 1850 (2);  Hawkwind (3); Jade Warrior (2); Man (5); Pink Floyd (9); Pond (2)

Symphonic Prog Total Albums =61

Camel (9); Earth and Fire (2); Emerson, Lake & Palmer (1); The Enid (2); Fruupp (2); Genesis (9); Greenslade (1); Kansas (6); Nick Magnus (1); Renaissance (10); Rick Wakeman (5); Yes (13)

Total number of prog albums across all genres = 568

What about all your new-found neo-prog?!!!  You really need to spend your pennies on IQ.....
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2021 at 11:22
Unlike many here, I never dumped my records when the CD became the "it" thing to have. I bought a CD player in '84, a really nice Sony unit. Bought like 5 CDs and really was not massively impressed originally. I kept buying CDs for about 10yrs and that got me into the start of brick walled mastering in the 90's, which continues today and is TERRIBLE!!!

I kept all my records in boxes during that time....Then the family came and I put music buying on hold for sometime, really only buying releases by Rush, Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd, Scorpions, Iron Maiden and a few others. I had around 1200 back in the day, lost around 200 in various house moves.

I also buy a lot of digital albums, although that has slowed down quite a bit. I keep most of my collection in Discogs but only about 50% of it.
I am a completist for several artists, but that does not mean buying bootlegs or non official releases. According to Discogs my most valued records are PT~Anesthetize 4-LP Live box set $335, Santana~Abraxas MoFi version $300, IQ~Road of Bones $300, Riverside~Second Life Syndrome $270, Scorpions~Virgin Killer (original cover) $260, Rush~Counterparts $250, PF~DSOtM (30th Anniversary issue) $230

CDs = +/- 500
LPs = +/- 900
Cassette Albums = +/- 200 (mix tapes not included)
Reel to Reel Albums = 20 (mix tapes not included)

Probably 60% of my records are prog and prog related, the balance is Jazz, R&B/Funk, Classic Rock and Heavy Metal. I keep the majority in record bins I built not by alphabetical order but only grouped by artist. These two bins hold about 625 records, I need to build one more probably, box sets I keep on another shelf.

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2021 at 11:38
^Tell the truth José, did you stage those front rows? Wink
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2021 at 11:48

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - June 09 2021 at 11:51
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2021 at 12:04
Weird the way eyes focus. In the first photo my eyes went straight to 3 Mice, and in the second to The Comet Is Coming. Is the album art for those two album merely more eye-catching? Is it because they are at the sides? I honestly don’t know. But I found it interesting. Now to zoom in and see if I can tell what else is hidden in those piles…. 😜

The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2021 at 12:37
When I do buy music on a physical media today, it is usually because I can not access it on Spotify - which happens quite often - or else because the only version that can be found online is a remixed version. I generally prefer to hear an album in the original mix.

Sometimes I buy the physical album for sort of sentimental reasons though.

Edited by The Anders - June 09 2021 at 12:37
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2021 at 12:39
Anyone ever own Digital compact cassette, DAT (Digital Audio Tape), or Super Audio CD's or MiniDiscs? 

More formats that are extinct. 

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - June 09 2021 at 12:45
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2021 at 13:02
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Anyone ever own Digital compact cassette, DAT (Digital Audio Tape), or Super Audio CD's or MiniDiscs? 

Nope - all formats that never quite took off. Never owned an 8-track either.

[It's just a tad before the time I got interested in buying music, but weren't some albums released on reel-to-reel tape back in the 60's?]
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2021 at 14:21

How about some phonograph cylinders? LOL
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2021 at 15:18

Yup, had a MiniDisc player for a while. Now it's an iPod Shuffle.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>