Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Interactive Duos Poll: Heaven-Sent and Hell-Bent
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interactive Duos Poll: Heaven-Sent and Hell-Bent

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Poll Question: Poll now open. Listen then vote for three "duos" and mention in a post
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [8.82%]
5 [7.35%]
6 [8.82%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [5.88%]
1 [1.47%]
8 [11.76%]
3 [4.41%]
4 [5.88%]
3 [4.41%]
4 [5.88%]
6 [8.82%]
2 [2.94%]
2 [2.94%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.47%]
1 [1.47%]
2 [2.94%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
10 [14.71%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interactive Duos Poll: Heaven-Sent and Hell-Bent
    Posted: June 08 2021 at 09:31
Interactive Poll # Holy 3 - 666: Heaven-Sent and Hell-Bent: A "heaven" and "hell" "duos" poll (these can be out of or included in PA)

"In Heaven
Everything is fine
You got your good thing
And I've got mine" (Ivers / Lynch - "In Heaven")

"I'm living in a hell hole
Don't want to stay in this hell hole
Don't want to die in this hell hole
Girl, get me out of this hell hole" (Spinal Tap - "Hell Hole")

Are you on a stairway to heaven AND on a highway to hell? Are you both heaven-sent and hell-bent?

Welcome to the latest installment in this interactive poll series. With this theme we travel to the promised neverland (harp music anyone?) and plunge into the abyss (bagpipes anyone?). The heaven and hell theme can be taken very literally, such as songs specifically about heaven and hell and songs that reference heaven and hell, but it can also be about music that thematically has a heavenly and hellish relation to you -- ones that are evocative of heaven and hell or just speak of paradise and are infernal in some way to you. I'm pretty open here. So, in case this is unclear, it doesn't literally have to be about heaven or hell or reference something heaven or hell related, it just has to evoke something of those qualities for you. I'll be interested to see what musical associations people make to the heaven and hell theme.

This is a duos poll, so it is expected that you include at least one Heaven theme and one Hell theme.

I am partially inspired by two sequential episodes of Doctor Who called "Heaven Sent" (fantastic episode) and "Hell Bent" as well as Art Zoyd's Le mariage du ciel et de l'enfer. For those not familiar with the expressions, heaven-sent refers to something good that happens at an opportune time; whereas, hell-bent denotes dogged determination at all cost. Title aside, it's best just to think of this as "Heaven and Hell".

My original conception was to do this as another duos poll (one heaven and one hell entry per participant), but I felt that that would be too onerous on some, especially when considering recent increased participation in these polls. That said, considering how others feel, I am making this a duos poll. I doubt that this will be as lively in terms of the number of participants, but who the heck knows? I also considered purgatory as an option before -- a "limbo" dancing theme for another time perhaps.

This topic comes in two main stages. First there is the suggestions and nominations round, and then comes the voting round when the nominations have been listed in the poll. Each stage generally lasts about a week, meaning two weeks total. After that we're onto the next Interactive Poll, although these polls might still show some activity after two weeks.

Here are the guidelines/ requests for participation in the "suggestions/ nominations" round (the first half of the process) which will last for one week (I would make it a little longer, but this might make it easier for people to remember and be prepared).

1. For the suggestions in the nomination round, feel free to mention up to four choices of music for potential nomination (more if you really want to). ;) People must mention at least one heavenly piece AND one hellish piece to be considered for the nomination process. You can mention some others not to be officially considered for nomination along the way, say in discussion, but please try to make that clear. And if you think of preferable ones later in a timely-enough fashion, then that's fine and I will NOT ask you not to nominate that later mention if we have not yet entered the voting round even if you listed four officially already.

2. For your nomination/suggestion, please type the composers, bands, or artists names followed by the title of the music along with the videos -- preferably a youtube embed if possible, but if that is not possible, then provide a hyperlink to where we can hear the music (say bandcamp). Adding the name of the artist plus the music title helps me to add it to the poll (copy-paste) and it makes it easier for others to find it in the thread. Also, sometimes videos don't work in certain regions, and this way we can see what to search for if your video isn't working for some of us. Please try to use the format in the following examples to make copy-paste and consistency easier for me:
Spinal Tap - "Hell Hole"
Belinda Carlisle - "Heaven Is a Place on Earth"
Santa Claws with AC/DC - "Hell's Sleigh Bells".

3. Ideally, your first music post will be edited and updated to mention which of your two choices (one heaven and one hell) are your two specific nominations when you decide, and this should be done before June 15th. If you only mention one heaven and one hell then this won't be an issue. This step makes it less likely that I will make mistakes or be unsure of your choice, but hopefully others will be double-checking as these topics are sort of team-efforts and we all make mistakes (yes, also in heaven). At least to try to specify your two nominations within a week.

4. On Tuesday, June 15th I will add the nominated music entries. I will give warning, but I would like all final decisions to be made before then if possible. If no choices have been specified, then I will add your first hell mention and your first heaven mention as your nominations, so consider trying to pick what is best for you as your first if you think you might not get the chance to specify your choices for nomination. Come Tuesday morning (June 15th), expect me to be hell-bent on putting together the poll with your choices even if some have not got around to specifying their nominations (I might do it later, but be prepared for Tuesday morning PST).   I like to stay on schedule and likely will have to plan my time as they take time to put together.

Note: comments on other people's choices in the meantime are much appreciated but not required, this can help people to make up their minds on what to nominate.

On to the voting period details (do not vote for any poll option before Tuesday, June 15th, which is when I will paste the music nominations (Artist - Song) in the poll):

1. When I have entered the nominated music choices into the poll, then the voting phase will be open.

2. Before voting, please ensure that you have tried to listen to all of the poll entries. Hopefully there will be a playlist to listen to those (I should make a new youtube account just in case Geo isn't available to create the playlist).

3. Vote for three of the options, no less and no more, but do not vote for your own choices (I figure by nominating those you've already voted for them in a sense).

4. List those choices in a post.

Note: you can mention songs if you don't plan to fully participate in the process, but please make it clear if you do not plan to be listening to other people's choices and voting for three options and listing those choices in a post. I would like to limit the poll spaces to those who plan to take part in the nomination, listening and voting process. If things come up and you can't in a timely manner, or ever, well, things happen. That we listen to each others music and indicate so is the most important part of this exercise to me.

Like with suggestions, comments on other people's nominations are appreciated, but not required. Acknowledging those that do take/find the time to comment would be appreciated, I expect. And please remember, no voting before the appointed time.

To summarise or reiterate important guidelines points:

1. Mention up to four choices* (Artist - Track) on the heaven/heavenly AND hell/hellish theme. Artist - Track text for each should be written in the post, and youtube videos embedded (we can help if any don't yet know how to do this) or at least links (hyperlinks preferably) to the music if youtube is not available or you can't embed youtube videos. *You can mention more, but more than four per post can be a problem. So the four is not a set rule.
2. Within seven days of this topic starting, nominate one heaven and one hell choice (please try your best to do this before June 15th).
3. On Tuesday, June 15, I will list all of the nominated music in the poll (expect early PST time, although it may come later).
4. When music nominations are up in the poll, it is an expectation that the other nominated choices will be listened to.
5. After listening to all of the choices, vote for three poll options (in other words, three options with three duos) not your own and mention those in a post.

Again, feel free to mention music not for nominating or potential nomination, just please try to make that clear. Not everyone may wish to take part in the whole process that wants to mention music. If it is not specified by a poster that mentions music, then I will expect that you plan to nominate two (heaven and hell), listen to all the nominees and vote for three poll options (duos) and mention those in a post when the time comes. It does take a level of commitment, but I understand that life can get in the way sometimes and sometimes the best laid plans come to naught.

There's a fine line between pleasure and pain, heavenly and hellish listening to each other's music choices!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll start with a quite well-known infernal piece, which I've seen described as devastating and of course is in reference to a devastating incident. This piece was also used very well in a quite experimental and amazing episode ("Part Eight") of Twin Peaks: The Return -- three of my four choices have a Lynch relation as I have been quite obsessed:

Krzysztof Penderecki - "Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima"

Switching moods, this is just heavenly to me (also may be too well-known; I got to know it and love it first from watching the film The Hunger, a vampire film which features David Bowie, Catherine Deneuve and Susan Sarandon and was in my top five favourite films when I was a teenager especially):

Léo Delibes - "The Flower Duet (Lakmé)"

For more "hellish" music (has a Twin Peaks connection -- I used another Xiu Xiu track from this album in an earlier Interactive poll and I used this track in one of my own non-interactive polls at one time soon after discovering the album):

Xiu Xiu - "Blue Frank / Pink Room"

I mentioned "In Heaven" in another poll (and Threnody... methinks), but this is the song I think of with the word "heaven".   Bauhaus did an interesting cover, as did Pixies and Tuxedomoon. And the Cardiacs song "A Time For Rejoicing" references it. It's from the Lynch film Eraserhead.

Peter Ivers / David Lynch - "In Heaven (Lady in the Radiator Song)"

One might argue that it's also quite hellish, or at least unsettling in its way, especially when considering the whole film it's from, and it's one that I cannot not mention.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An additional note, if by some heaven-sent circumstance this poll is graced with more than 25 options, the extras will be combined with others low down on the list. So if there are 26, then that will share a spot with 25, and if there are 27, then option 24 also will have two options. If the titles are long, I might have to rethink the order if this more than 25 scenario occurs. I generally like to order these in the order that people mention music (before the playlists this could be particularly helpful). Again, please no voting before its time (we'll be watching). If only the names of the submitters are up, and not the names of the music, then it is not yet time. Sorry for such a long OP. If anything is unclear, feel free to ask.

---------------------------------

So the poll is now up, just a number of hours earlier than I expected, but I'll be very busy later on today. Please listen, vote for three duos, then mention those in a post.   Thanks to all who participated. I hope its been a little more of a heavenly than hellish experience. ;)[

Edited by Logan - June 15 2021 at 15:31
Just a fanboy passin' through.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 09:55
Nice poll idea! A pity though that you didn't stick to the duo-poll formula; the theme lends itself perfectly to it (but I can imagine that for some it might become too time consuming...). Will think about some suggestions...

In the mean time, your Xiu Xiu video doesn't work for me. I found this one, in the hope it will work for everyone:

Edit: <snip video>

Edited by suitkees - June 08 2021 at 10:15

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 10:09
^ Yes, 'tis a shame about scrapping this as a duos theme as that was the conception behind this.  If others are amenable, I would happily change to it being duos poll as I do much prefer that.  I do hope everyone will at least try to list a heaven and a hell piece.  Shame about the Xiu Xiu, that video you posted is unavailable for me.

This one might work for you:

I don't expect as many nominations this round because the suggestions/ nominations round will only last one week and I ask those not committed to the whole process not to nominate (though they can still mention music, but should indicate that if not planning to listen to everyone's nominations and vote in a post).

Edited by Logan - June 08 2021 at 10:19
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 10:12
^ Edit: we found the same one, so yes, this one is working!

Edited by suitkees - June 08 2021 at 10:13

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 10:17
^ I'll edit my first post to include that one, thanks.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 10:41
I would definitely prefer this to be a duo concept. 😇😈

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 10:47
^ Considering that that is my preference as well as yours and Kees, that does it for me.  This is a duos poll.  Will amend the first post accordingly.  Thanks.
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 11:00
I've always thought "Halleluhwah" and "Aumgn" from Can's Tago Mago were the perfect aural representations of, respectively, ascending into heaven and descending down into hell, but since those are ineligible (and would probably be too long anyway for a poll like this) I'll see if I can think of some better selections.

Edited by Mirakaze - June 08 2021 at 11:00
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 11:06
Yeah, plenty of Prog selections that would be great for this.  Aside from the duos aspect, I struggled with whether I should allow music included in Prog Archives.  If people want that, I'll change it.  At this stage it's easy enough to make changes, and I'm hardly hell-bent on that.

Feel free to mention others included in PA, just not for official nomination I think works (best indicated then in case it's obscure, unlike Can), or as said, I can change that. 

Yes, we have heaven, indeedy doodle.

Edited by Logan - June 08 2021 at 11:11
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 11:50
Including songs that are on PA would make this easier for me. When I first saw the poll title, the only songs I could think of were in the thrash metal genreLOL - enough to make Nickie run away screaming into the night Wink!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 11:51
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Including songs that are on PA would make this easier for me. When I first saw the poll title, the only songs I could think of were in the thrash metal genreLOL - enough to make Nickie run away screaming into the night Wink!

LOL  

Then we shall include ones in PA.  Thanks for the feedback.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 12:15
duos?
these are hard... 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 12:21
^ Yep, makes it more challenging (especially when it comes to the listening, and for commenting, which makes it more time-intensive).  I doubt we'll nearly a get a full-house this time in terms of nominations as this requires more commitment.

EDIT: By the way, while I had originally conceived of this as a duos poll, and then opted to make it just one heaven or hell piece to be nominated (while hopefully mentioning one of each) because I felt it likely would be too onerous on some, then changed it to duos after posting this based on comments (was always my preference), I am now hell-bent on this being a duos poll.  I just hope that doesn't limit participation from various of the regulars.  I hope those still at least mention music even if they choose not to nominate music due to time constraints.

Edited by Logan - June 08 2021 at 12:43
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 12:42

LOL
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 12:51
I have to think about this, but maybe I can come up with something.

The first song I came to think of was Talking Heads' "Heaven", but I guess most people know it already, so I am not going to submit it anyway.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 12:55

I'm looking forward to your thrash choices. Tongue
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 13:09
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

I have to think about this, but maybe I can come up with something.

The first song I came to think of was Talking Heads' "Heaven", but I guess most people know it already, so I am not going to submit it anyway.

It's a pretty wide and open topic since it doesn't literally have to reference heaven or hell, but you can draw your own associations.

As to that song, I had to look it up to remember it. Embarrassed  One of the first to come to mind was Clapton's Tears in Heaven.  I think three of my four choices may be on the possibly too well-known side, but even if quite a few people here know them, I still don't not want to mention those.  I probably will mention a few more over the following days even if four is suggested as a guideline.  There are lots I would like to mention on the heavenly or hellish side of things (mostly hellish to be honest).

Edited by Logan - June 08 2021 at 13:10
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 13:39
Took me a while to decide whether to go with direct references to heaven/hell, using those words?  Or?  Anyway, decided to go with not precisely, necessarily.  I will have four total.

Note to Logan:  I will format the titles the way you requested when making my final selection.  

First one up is Atilio Adrian Matteucci (aka Athy) & Jesse Ahmann, from their Edgar Allan Poe Suite, "To One In Paradise."  Raff and Cristi will be happy to know there is actually some thrash harp music herein.  Wink  

For contrast, here is Azam Ali (who I've brought here before, as well as Athy, but both of these are very different from what I've presented in the past), performing Hildegard Von Bingen's, "O Vis Aeternitatis." 

Third and fourth are also in contrast to one another, one is funny and the other, kind of a hell on earth, especially with the video (not for those who fear fire).

Martin Mull's "They Never Met"  

and Jackson C. Frank's "Dialogue"  

Edited by Snicolette - June 13 2021 at 08:03
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 13:57
So: a masterpiece versus an awfully bad song... would that count?
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 14:08
^ I like to leave things quite open to individual interpretation (within some reasonable parameters).  I wouldn't approach it that way (and you can hear how I approached it with my choices).  If that is evocative of heaven and hell for you, then it could.  I trust your intelligence and thoughtfulness when it comes to what you think are suitable choices for the poll following what I wrote here, and the kinds of things that you would want in such a poll from others if you made this poll.  I try to think of the audience when I suggest things and what the OP would appreciate for the theme.  If you have to ask (lacking confidence), then you might be overthinking it or going too far out of the box.  I kind of think the music should speak for itself, and be easily understood in the context of the themes.  My last topic was yin and young as I recall (opposites), and I think that approach would have worked better for that.

Quote With this theme we travel to the promised neverland (harp music anyone?) and plunge into the abyss (bagpipes anyone?).  The heaven and hell theme can be taken very literally, such as songs specifically about heaven and hell and songs that reference heaven and hell, but it can also be about music that thematically has a heavenly and hellish relation to you -- ones that are evocative of heaven and hell or just speak of paradise and are infernal in some way to you.  I'm pretty open here.  So, in case this is unclear, it doesn't literally have to be about heaven or hell or reference something heaven or hell related, it just has to evoke something of those qualities for you.  I'll be interested to see what musical associations people make to the heaven and hell theme.
>Do what you think is best for this topic, what you think others would appreciate, and that hopefully says something about you.  I would choose music that I appreciate in both cases, even if it can be unpleasant in its way (like my choice of Threnody...).</span>

EDIT: I was thinking about this a bit more as it's an interesting question and it is on that came to mind as I conceptualised the OP. Masterpiece and bad are commonly subjective notions, one man's meat is another man's poison and all that,but I would say that if one is heavenly to you (i.e. sublime) and another is infernal in that it really torments you, then that could be a powerful duo. I think the average listener should get a visceral sense of heaven and hell through the listening if you do this kind of route. Not boring bad, but devastating (bad for the psyche and painful perhaps).

I look forward to see which approach you decide on. Bad can be good. I would suggest going for the kind of bad you may not like but still can appreciate on some level.

Edited by Logan - June 09 2021 at 11:57
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>