Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Interactive Duos Poll: Heaven-Sent and Hell-Bent
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interactive Duos Poll: Heaven-Sent and Hell-Bent

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Poll Question: Poll now open. Listen then vote for three "duos" and mention in a post
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [8.82%]
5 [7.35%]
6 [8.82%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [5.88%]
1 [1.47%]
8 [11.76%]
3 [4.41%]
4 [5.88%]
3 [4.41%]
4 [5.88%]
6 [8.82%]
2 [2.94%]
2 [2.94%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.47%]
1 [1.47%]
2 [2.94%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
10 [14.71%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2021 at 18:24
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

With this theme we travel to the promised neverland (harp music anyone?) and plunge into the abyss (bagpipes anyone?).

For fun:

Did I get it right?

∆ Well done.      

Particularly well done since I asked "Are you on a stairway to heaven AND on a highway to hell?"

Edited by Logan - June 13 2021 at 18:27
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2021 at 18:45
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

With this theme we travel to the promised neverland (harp music anyone?) and plunge into the abyss (bagpipes anyone?).

For fun:
Videos removed for space
Did I get it right?

What Logan said!  I've seen that Harp Twins video many times, they are great players and fun to watch.  And I like bagpipes just fine, too.

"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2021 at 19:21
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Logan: Tallis “Spem in alium” Here angelic voices that almost sound like flutes at first, then it becomes clear they are all vocalists. Transcendent and transporting piece, as these are meant to be, definitely good chills inducing.   Christopher Young “Hellbound Heart” Begins ominously as one might expect. Orchestral soundtrack with suspense-building strings and some harp playing discordantly. Flutes join in with the various strings. Cellos create a very deep, menacing tone. There is a sense of melancholy about 2/3rds in, turning to a more despairing tonality. The piece becomes less lushy populated, now just strings and piano at the end. Angelo Badalamenti “The Voice of Love” Here is music that reminds us of how much a soundtrack can contribute to visual arts and become absolutely one of the addictive parts of a well-loved tale. I know this one, so wouldn’t be able to vote for it, but Badalamenti’s music will always be entwined with the characters and visuals of Twin Peaks to create my fascination for this series. Such a very moving scene with the music and symbolism of these characters in that room with the angel.

That's a really wonderful write-up, thank you so much. I really love that Tallis piece, and I'm very much inline with you on the Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me piece and how it contributes to the visuals. There are so many ways that visual arts and music can combine to make something artistic and even transcendent.

Sorry about all the code coming through, hard to fix while I'm on my phone. EDIT: now can fix.

Edited by Logan - June 13 2021 at 22:20
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2021 at 19:28

That's a really wonderful write-up, thank you so much. I really love that Tallis piece, and I'm very much inline with you on the Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me piece and how it contributes to the visuals. There are so many ways that visual arts and music can combine to make something artistic and even transcendent.

Sorry about all the code coming through, hard to fix while I'm on my phone.

It's a stunning piece of music and that pairing on Twin Peaks was also incredibly delicious.  Glad you enjoyed the commentary.  And, yeah, phones are not the best communication devices for writing purposes.  
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2021 at 23:15
^ But smart phones are handy when you want to post while in the checkout line of the grocery store. :D

Anticipate errors, this is just after a quick run-through and I will be editing this anon (just wanted to make start on this). Nor is it formatted properly. It's mostly for my record, and there's still some time to finalise nominations for those who listed more than the one heaven and hell duo.

I'm doing this in the order of the participants first post that links to/ includes music for the topic.

Logan: Krzysztof Penderecki - "Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima" / Thomas Tallis - "Spem in alium"

Snicolette: Hell: Atilio Adrian Matteucci & Jesse Ahmann - "To One In Paradise" & Heaven: Azam Ali w/ Hildegard Von Bingen's - "O Vis Aeternitatis"

nick_h_nz: Teeth of the Sea - Whilst We Live in Fear of Hell / Jordan Reyne - Heavenly Creatures

JD: Harry Partch -Delusion of the Fury: Act I: Treats with Death and with Life Despite Death: Emergence of the Spirit / Chris De Burgh - Spanish Train

Lewian: Idem - Suedirland Bantry Bay / Ex-Einstuerzende Neubauten FM Einheit - Korrektionsanstalt

mathman0806: Love and Rockets - "Everybody Wants To Go To Heaven" / "Bound For Hell"

Mila-13: Msaki - Dreams / Laibach - Smrt za smrt (Death for Death)

Hiram: Heaven: CMX - "Taivaan lapset" / Hell: CMX - "Epäonnisten liikemiesten helvetti"

Cristi: Emma Ruth Rundle - Heaven / Phenomena - Dance With the Devil

Raff: Anuna - "Whispers of Paradise" / Metallica - "The Call of Ktulu"

suitkees:

jamesbaldwin: HELL: Massimo Zamboni feat. Lalli & Marina Parente: Dolorama (Painrama?) / HEAVEN: Franco Battiato: L'ombra della Luce (The Shadow of Light)

Tancos: Ry Cooder - "Great Dream from Heaven" / The Pogues - "Boys from the County Hell"

The Anders: Talking Heads - "Heaven" / Kaizers Orchestra - "Ompa til du dør"

I prophesy disaster: Todd Rundgren - "Everybody's Going to Heaven" / The Alan Parsons Project - "Can't Take It With You"

TCat: Heaven: (The Muckers "New York Girls") and Hell: (The Angels of Light "New York Girls")

tigerfeet: Jacky - "White Horses" / Tom Waits - "Hell Broke Luce"

**Mirakaze: Can -"Halleluhwah" and "Aumgn" perhaps?**

Various titles will need editing to fit them in the options, and this is mostly just a quick copy-paste so not formatted. Having done this very quickly I may have missed some decided on options. I won't be putting this up until Tuesday, maybe about 36 hours after the time of this posting.   There is still some time for any minds to change, time to add others for potential nomination, and for others to participate if they wish.

As said, the poll goes up on Tuesday. Please try to finalise all choices by tomorrow (any time of the day) if possible.

Edited by Logan - June 14 2021 at 19:30
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2021 at 09:22
A notice that final nominations should be in by today. If you have not finalised your choices, please get those in. If not specified otherwise, I will put in your first mentioned heaven and hell choice when I put the poll up tomorrow morning my time (Pacific Daylight Time). And please look through my list above to correct/highlight any issues. Thanks. I have not yet had the will to double-check what I listed above.

I know Mirakaze was considering "Halleluhwah" and "Aumgn" from Can's Tago Mago. Love those. I didn't add her to the list as it had not been decided. That was before I changed this to allowing "prog" options based on posts. Those are permissible if you want to participate.

Edited by Logan - June 14 2021 at 09:44
Mila-13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2021 at 12:54
I'm kinda torn between my two hellish proposals. I would prefer to nominate a less known act but I believe that you guys are not into electronic music really. On the other hand, is industrial any better? Hmm . .

Ok these are my nominations after all:

Heaven: Msaki - Dreams
Hell: Laibach - Smrt za smrt (Death for Death)

Logan, I'm sorry for being a bit late, I've been quite busy these days.

Tancos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tancos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2021 at 13:03
I'll go with Ry Cooder, "Great Dream from Heaven," and The Pogues, "Boys from the County Hell."
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2021 at 14:10
^ Thanks to you both for your nominations. And Mila, you're still very very much in time. It's not even like I'll even start on it first thing when I wake up tomorrow. First I need my coffee, two cups (one black and one with creamer and sugar, sometimes mixed together). This morning I made the mistake of posting before I had my coffee, the results weren't great.
Mila-13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2021 at 15:26
Same here. No coffee, no workee, no talkee! lol I overlooked the deadline in your detailed post tbh. Wink
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2021 at 18:19
I'll go with the pair of songs that I mentioned first, Heaven: (The Muckers "New York Girls") and Hell: (The Angels of Light "New York Girls")

Edited by TCat - June 14 2021 at 18:20

tigerfeet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tigerfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2021 at 21:04
I will just go with my first nominees since I was happy with them and didn't have any time to do any more research this past weekend. 

Jacky - "White Horses" / Tom Waits - "Hell Broke Luce"
I'm sorry, if you were right, I'd agree with you. Robin Williams.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2021 at 22:24
Thanks M&M (Mike and Malcom), so its just Suitkees that is undecided -- he hasn't been around for a while, hope all is well -- and Mirakaze. I decided that I will add her choices unless I hear otherwise. Sure lots of us know them, but I think it's an awesome addition to the playlist.

I'll edit the formatted list to this post later, working on that now.   If you see anything that needs correction, or if I missed anyone, please mention it (see earlier post with names attached). With duos especially I have to abbreviate and squeeze various ones to fit the poll option spaces.

This is how I have it now to fit the poll options:

Logan:
Penderecki: Threnody for the Victims / Tallis: Spem in alium

Snicolette:
Matteucci/Ahmann: To One in Paradise/Ali: O Vis Aeternitatis

nick_h_nz:
Teeth of the Sea: Whilst We Live in Fear/ Reynes: Heavenly..

JD:
Harry Partch: Delusion of the Fury/ De Burgh: Spanish Train

Lewian:
Idem: Suedirland... / Ex-Einstuerzende: Korrektionsanstalt

mathman0806:
Love&Rockets: Everybody Wants to Go to Heaven/Bound for Hell

Mila-13:
Msaki: Dreams / Laibach: Smrt za smrt (Death for Death)

Hiram:
CMX: Taivaan lapset / Epäonnisten liikemiesten helvetti

Cristi:
E.R. Rundle: Heaven / Phenomena: Dance with the Devil

Raff:
Anuna: Whispers of Paradise / Metallica: The Call of Ktulu

Suitkees:
King Missile: Heaven / Noir Désir: 666.667 Club

jamesbaldwin:
M. Zamboni: Dolorama / Franco Battiato: L'ombra della Luce

Tancos:
Cooder: Great Dream from Heaven/ Pogues: Boys...Country Hell

The Anders:
Talking Heads: Heaven / Kaizers Orchestra: Ompa til du dør

I prophesy disaster:
Rundgren: Everybody's Going to Heaven/ APP: Can't Take It...

TCat:
The Muckers: New York Girls/ Angels of Light: New York Girls

tigerfeet:
Jacky: White Horses / Tom Waits: Hell Broke Luce

Mirakaze?:
Can: Halleluhwah and Aumgn

That's eighteen.

EDIT: It's now Tuesday here, and I'll add Suitkees first duo to the list (if I hear otherwise in the next nine or so hours, then I can change). The poll is ready to go (put the options in and just waiting to post it tomorrow).
Thanks for all the nominations and suggestions.

Okay, I put it up a number of hours earlier than I planned to. Accidentally lost the edit on the poll I had ready, so re-did it (not hard with my list above that was formatted for the space), and wanted to get it out of the way.

Edited by Logan - June 15 2021 at 02:53
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2021 at 01:30
Here are Mira's mentions unless asked not to include these:

Can - "Halleluhwah"

Can - "Aumgn"

Long pieces for those that don't know them.

Edited by Logan - June 15 2021 at 01:35
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2021 at 04:22
Playlist!

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-zzvl_w6Fx5-iX9MMolZPp2SGtfnc167

One of Nick's songs is not on YouTube so:

Teeth of the Sea - Whilst We Live in Fear of Hell
https://teethofthesea.bandcamp.com/track/whilst-we-live-in-fear-of-hell

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2021 at 04:40
^ Thanks so much, Geo!
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2021 at 04:42
You made the right choice for me, thanks Greg! I was away from the internet these last days...
And thanks for the playlist, George!  Thumbs Up

Edited by suitkees - June 15 2021 at 04:44

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2021 at 04:50
^ Glad to hear that, Kees. I felt pretty confident, though both good pairings.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2021 at 11:02
Thanks for the playlist George.  You make life so much easier!  Thumbs Up

Mila-13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2021 at 13:21
Thank you very much for the playlists, Geo! In case you are busy and can't do the playlists at some point I'd be happy to help out. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>