Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trio of albums: Genesis vs Yes?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Trio of albums: Genesis vs Yes?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
46 [62.16%]
28 [37.84%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Lieutenant_Lan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lieutenant_Lan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trio of albums: Genesis vs Yes?
    Posted: September 15 2021 at 08:51
Yes Yes Genesis No. Yes always get a yes from me
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2021 at 21:23
Originally posted by Progishness Progishness wrote:

I sort of agree too about TFTO - all four tracks tend to be a bit unfocused and rambling, but possibly with much tighter editing it could have been a terrific single album with 4x 10-minute tracks.

Something of the sort, I guess. Though, for me, The Revealing Science of God should remain very similar to the way it is (though I still might like to trim just a little bit of it), so at least some of the others would need to end up rather shorter.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2021 at 11:42
Yes for me!
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Braka1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2021 at 11:07
If you'd started with 'The Yes Album' it would have been easy.  I still voted for Yes, though TFTO drags it down a bit.

Believe me Pope Paul, my toes are clean
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2021 at 14:10
I sort of agree too about TFTO - all four tracks tend to be a bit unfocused and rambling, but possibly with much tighter editing it could have been a terrific single album with 4x 10-minute tracks.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2021 at 13:55
Originally posted by Steve Wyzard Steve Wyzard wrote:

I've been a Yes fan for almost 40 years, and I've still never been able to "get into", or fathom, Tales from Topographic Oceans. Believe me, I've tried on multiple occasions. I always find myself siding with Rick Wakeman's famous views of this album.

So even though I find TLLDoB overly long, I will go with the trio from Genesis.

I sort of agree with you about Topographic Oceans. I do love The Revealing Science of God (even if it can get a bit patchy), but the rest I just don't love, and sort of think it would have been better if the other songs had been shorter. But still, it does help if I put the whole album without interruptions, and paying attention. Also, besides my own appreciation about the album, I do have the impression that particular album is something else, something that transcends the rock (or even prog) genre... and I can glimpse that greatness if I listen to it as I said.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2021 at 21:13
Genesis.

Hmm...I haven't been on here for awhile. Where's Micky? He ought to be losing his mind over these results.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2021 at 21:01
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Fragile and SEBTP are very similar to me - 3 amazing tracks and a bunch of other stuff (''filler''). Both are overrated imho but thankfully there is no Epping Forest like track on Fragile!

And that's why I prefer Selling England, haha.
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2021 at 17:56
I've been a Yes fan for almost 40 years, and I've still never been able to "get into", or fathom, Tales from Topographic Oceans. Believe me, I've tried on multiple occasions. I always find myself siding with Rick Wakeman's famous views of this album.

So even though I find TLLDoB overly long, I will go with the trio from Genesis.
VianaProghead View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VianaProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2021 at 02:55
The trio of albums of Genesis.
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2021 at 01:13
Fragile and SEBTP are very similar to me - 3 amazing tracks and a bunch of other stuff (''filler''). Both are overrated imho but thankfully there is no Epping Forest like track on Fragile!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2021 at 22:02
Yes all the way. And I do love Fragile too, my favourite along with CttE. And I don't really hear what's so wrong or inconsistent about it. The solo numbers aren't really that bad, and are short enough that they don't really hurt the album, and the rest of the songs are among their best. I guess the one that hurts the most is Rick's part... if only he had been able to include the one he intended, the one that became Catherine of Aragon (which he couldn't because his record company prohibited him to write music for Yes), then it would have been a truly perfect album. But the other solos fit just perfectly. We Have Heaven is very short, and sounds really nice opening for South Side. Bruford's doesn't even last half a minute. Squire's bass solo actually sounds like an extention of Long Distance Runaround, and for me that song doesn's sound complete without it. And Mood for a Day is really a very good piece of guitar... so, what's the problem about it? For me Fragile and CttE go together, my two favourites from the band, and it's almost like a mandatory listen to have them together, having both the same Line-up and the same great sound. As for The Yes Album, that one's actually not among my favourites from the band, since the only song I really like on that one is Starship Trooper, and I like the Keys to Ascension version so much better that I don't really feel any need to hear the original version ever again.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2021 at 17:46
^I don't think it's less than TYA. TYA has clap and a venture which you could say makes that album inconsistent too. I guess I'm in the minority with that opinion though. 
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2021 at 17:35
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Am I the only one on here who thinks Fragile is one of Yes's strongest albums? I see a lot of dumping on that album here and I don't get it. I think the solo tracks make it more interesting.

I agree it's one of their strongest, but the problem is that it's not quite at the very top shelf level of The Yes Album and Close To The Edge because of the inconsistency (however I agree it does make it a very interesting and relaxing listen all the way through). It always gets pitted against something that's up at that top level, and for me at least it always pales slightly in comparison. But put it against the majority of either artist's discography and it starts to shine again. 
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2021 at 17:32
Foxtrot over Fragile
Close To The Edge over Selling England By The Pound
The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway over Tales From Topographic Oceans

score this one for Genesis
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2021 at 17:21
Am I the only one on here who thinks Fragile is one of Yes's strongest albums? I see a lot of dumping on that album here and I don't get it. I think the solo tracks make it more interesting.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2021 at 17:19
Close to the Edge but then the three Genesis albums. Enough for them to snatch the vote. By the way, I like Relayer more than all of these (actually all Genesis and Yes studio albums).

Edited by Lewian - June 09 2021 at 17:20
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2021 at 13:47
 Voted Genes because I'm not a big fan of Tails. If it was TYA, Fragile & CTTE then the vote would have gone to Yes. 
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2021 at 13:08
Tales' shouldn't have been in this poll. Now if The Yes Album was, well ... . By the way, The Battle of Epping Forest is a great song off a great album.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2021 at 04:12
Yes for me, even more so had it been Relayer rather than Fragile. It's a close thing but I find myself going off TLLDOB a bit over the years.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>