Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Waddup proggers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Malawelekaahm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Waddup proggers
    Posted: June 11 2021 at 05:38
Hi everyone!

I've been considering joining this forum for a long time now. If there's one thing that has been a constant part of my life for as long as I can remember it's enjoying progressive rock/metal. I remember being introduced to albums like Train of Thought and The Human Equation with my dad in the car to soccer practise when I was around 5 years old. I'll keep this introduction down to some important moments for me.
Probably the most important one was hearing Opeth's Heritage for the first time. I was again in the car with my dad, he told me he'd gotten a new album, something he wasn't sure I'd like. So he put it on. I'd surely never heard anything like it before, the explosiveness of some parts, followed by haunting quiet passages building up to explode again later on. I was super intrigued and have been actually been looking for albums that gave me similar vibes ever since.
I think I was 13 years old at that time, that was also around the time when I started exploring bands on my own. Which has always followed a pattern of having some obsession and a few bands at the side.
There's some bands that I can always fall back on, even when my obsession with them is over (the times in between obsessions feel terrible by the way), those are practically Opeth, Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater and Pink Floyd.
I want to tell a lot more but I'll skip to the present. I found
in Magma almost exactly what I kept looking for since I heard Heritage. It took a while to get used to, but the sheer intensity they create with their pounding rythms and their powerful vocals is something I'm sure will keep me excited for a long time. It makes me want to start my own band. I landed on Magma after an obsession with the Canterbury scene, gotta love Gong and Robert Wyatt.

Anyway, I'm sure that's enough about me for now, I'm curious if anyone recognizes themselves in having those obsessions. I hope I can find my way around here, although I know myself, I can become very active and then one day leave this forum to not come back for a long time without a clear reason.

Cheers!
Daniel
À vie, à mort et après...
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2021 at 05:42
Welcome to the forums!
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2021 at 06:00
Hi Daniel. Nice introduction! Welcome!

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2021 at 00:09
Welcome Daniel. I've certainly been obsessed with Magma, Gong, Robert Wyatt and Pink Floyd. I get very obsessed with certain music at different times (prog and not prog).

Just a fanboy passin' through.
 Post Reply Post Reply