Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sutrah for Tech/Extreme

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Folk/Eclectic/PSIKE/Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sutrah for Tech/Extreme
    Posted: June 16 2021 at 23:07
Sutrah are a Canadian progressive death metal trio hailing from Quebec. In existence since 2011, the band's lineup consists of vocalist Laurent Bellemare (of Basalte and Chthe'ilist), bassist Alex Bao (of RGRSS) and guitarist Claude Leduc (also of Chthe'ilist), with auxiliary member Kévin Paradis (of Benighted and Svart Crown) performing drums for both of Sutrah's releases. Both Leduc and Bellemare also play reyong and gangsa, influenced by Balinese gamelan. Dunes, the band's debut, was independently released in 2017 and reissued by the Artisan Era in 2020. The LP is loosely a concept album based on "the theme of one conscience pulled apart by self-questioning, will (or lack thereof), doubt, dread, desire, apathy, and the sublime," and features guest appearances by Patrick Loisel of Augury and Nicola Nucciarone of Intonate and RGRSS. Sutrah's follow-up EP, Aletheia, was also released on Artisan Era in March 2020.

The band claim inspiration "from Lykathea Aflame, Martyr, and Ulcerate, to Cocteau Twins and Olivier Messiean," and will appeal to listeners of Anata, Artificial Brain, Beyond Creation, Augury, Warforged and Fallujah)

(Note: there are no pictures of the band available)

"Dunes" (2017)

"Aletheia" (2020)

Edited by Gordy - June 20 2021 at 00:27
Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2021 at 23:11
Been a bad night and a sh*tty past couple weeks for me and my family, but I hope this suggestion brightens some days at PA. I'll always associate Aletheia with the beginning of lockdown in the US and the feelings of dread and uncertainty that marked those grey days. It's a breathtaking release and I hope it raises some neck hairs on the PM team (especially you, TCat; I fear none of my future suggestions will ever top Rainer Landfermann for you, but Sutrah stand out to me in a positive way). 

Edited by Gordy - June 16 2021 at 23:12
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2021 at 08:53
Sent to the PM team.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2021 at 09:54
Great band name too. Wink
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2021 at 10:15
Originally posted by Gordy Gordy wrote:

Been a bad night and a sh*tty past couple weeks for me and my family, but I hope this suggestion brightens some days at PA. I'll always associate Aletheia with the beginning of lockdown in the US and the feelings of dread and uncertainty that marked those grey days. It's a breathtaking release and I hope it raises some neck hairs on the PM team (especially you, TCat; I fear none of my future suggestions will ever top Rainer Landfermann for you, but Sutrah stand out to me in a positive way). 

I really enjoyed Sutrah’s album from last year. I’ve not listened to the previous album (yet), but on the basis of the album I listened to, they are an unequivocal yes for PA from me. I’m a great fan of a lot of Indonesian music, and also of gamelan used in different settings (eg My Tricksy Spirit, simakDialog and Pencarrow, to name but three). That two of the band play gangsa on a death metal album is just too cool. I love the use of ambience and chanting. Straight up death metal (prog or not) generally does very little for me. This really worked for me. Thanks!

Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2021 at 23:09
As always, glad they clicked with you, Nick. I really want to like death metal as much as I do black and doom, but most of the time I consider it "body music" that only hits me physically rather than emotionally, and Sutrah are one of the few who have engaging songwriting to back up their virtuosity. And thanks for your artist suggestions; please feel free to list more, I defer to your expertise.

Edited by Gordy - June 19 2021 at 23:11
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2021 at 09:52
Sutrah added to tech/extreme prog metal..  

Hope all is well and things are better for you and your family Gordy.

Edited by TCat - June 21 2021 at 10:17

Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2021 at 04:45
Thanks Mike, I really appreciate it. We're dealing with things day by day and I enjoy writing to blow off steam, so preparing band bios is sort of therapeutic.
Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2021 at 04:47
Also, could you do me a favour and fix a few typos in the bio? The band Intonate is spelled "Ntonate," Aletheia is spelled "Altheia," and the quotes should be restored around the sentence about "the theme of one conscience pulled apart by self-questioning[...]" as I don't want to look like I plagiarised anything. Thank you kindly.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2021 at 09:03
Ok thanks for bringing those typos to my attention.  They are fixed now.

Post Reply Post Reply