Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gentle Giant Free Hand Wilson Mix

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gentle Giant Free Hand Wilson Mix
    Posted: June 28 2021 at 14:09
Tried posting this in the report errors and omissions section, but received error message stating I didn't have permission.

Will the new Steven Wilson Blu-ray/CD remix of Giants Freehand be added to GG page?

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - June 30 2021 at 06:44
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2021 at 14:38
I think it should be.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2021 at 14:52
Delete

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - June 29 2021 at 10:41
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2021 at 10:41
So here are my initial reactions to the SW mixes of Freehand

I compared the SW mix to the drt 35th Anniversary Edition CD since I don't have the horrid One Way Records CD anymore. I am not an audiophile nor am I a audio engineer, these are just my thoughts. 

For the stereo mix, the drt CD has more high end on most songs and more overall compression. The exception to the high end is - the SW mix of "His Last Voyage" has more high end and reverb, especially noted during the acoustic portions of the song, than the drt mix. The placement of the instruments and voices in the stereo field seems to be the same. Overall, I think I'm more accustomed to the drt mix and I prefer it to the SW mix.

The Blu-ray has the following mixes. Dolby Atmos, 5.1 DTS, stereo, instrumental mix, original album mix, and original quad mix. The stereo mixes are in 96/24 LPCM. I don't have an Atmos set-up so I could not listen to that. The 5.1 DTS mix sounds great. Sound fills the room with good beefy tones. Each song comes with an animated video. Three of these videos were directed and animated by Noah Shulman, Derek's son. These videos are available for all the different mixes on the Blu-ray. 

So, is it worth buying Freehand again? If you have a decent surround set-up I would say definitely yes. The videos alone are super cool and worth seeing. If you want to replace your One Way Record CD, it's no brainer hearty yes. If you only want to replace the drt CD stereo mix, I'm not sure it would be necessary. I have no clue if the vinyl remix is better than the original, so if someone knows please chime in.

Anyway, I hope I'm not just yakin' to myself and hope this thread can turn into a discussion about this remix. After all, Freehand  has aged well and is one of the best prog albums of all time, imo. 
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2021 at 13:21
Yesterday I played both the DTS 5.1 on my home cinema system and the stereo CD on my hifi. The 5.1 is very good. 'On Reflection' sounds fantastic with different voices coming from each channel. I have the original vinyl LP and the Alucard 2009 RM, also the BGO 1998 Free Hand/Interview compilation (I've yet to compare these stereo mixes yet though). And yes the videos are fun.
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2021 at 18:32
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

So here are my initial reactions to the SW mixes of Freehand

I compared the SW mix to the drt 35th Anniversary Edition CD since I don't have the horrid One Way Records CD anymore. I am not an audiophile nor am I a audio engineer, these are just my thoughts. 

For the stereo mix, the drt CD has more high end on most songs and more overall compression. The exception to the high end is - the SW mix of "His Last Voyage" has more high end and reverb, especially noted during the acoustic portions of the song, than the drt mix. The placement of the instruments and voices in the stereo field seems to be the same. Overall, I think I'm more accustomed to the drt mix and I prefer it to the SW mix.

The Blu-ray has the following mixes. Dolby Atmos, 5.1 DTS, stereo, instrumental mix, original album mix, and original quad mix. The stereo mixes are in 96/24 LPCM. I don't have an Atmos set-up so I could not listen to that. The 5.1 DTS mix sounds great. Sound fills the room with good beefy tones. Each song comes with an animated video. Three of these videos were directed and animated by Noah Shulman, Derek's son. These videos are available for all the different mixes on the Blu-ray. 

So, is it worth buying Freehand again? If you have a decent surround set-up I would say definitely yes. The videos alone are super cool and worth seeing. If you want to replace your One Way Record CD, it's no brainer hearty yes. If you only want to replace the drt CD stereo mix, I'm not sure it would be necessary. I have no clue if the vinyl remix is better than the original, so if someone knows please chime in.

Anyway, I hope I'm not just yakin' to myself and hope this thread can turn into a discussion about this remix. After all, Freehand  has aged well and is one of the best prog albums of all time, imo. 

Thanks for this detailed assessment, Will. I for one am interested as Free Hand is, for me, my favorite and considered "best" of GG's discography (other than the amazing Playing the Fool)--which leads me to my second point which is that all of the post-Phil albums have always seemed to lack something in the engineering/sound department that I felt could be improved upon--they just sound a bit too cool and distant, lack the warmth and inviting feel of GG, Acquiring the Taste, Three Friends, and Octopus (at least, to my ears.) For instance, when I listen to versions of studio album songs as rendered live on Playing the Fool or from video footage from concerts "Sight and Sound," "Long Beach 1975," "Brussels," etc.) there just seems to be more life and warmth than some of the album versions--despite the fact that I LOVE the studio albums. So, thank you: I am interested in hearing re-mastered or re-mixed versions of this GREAT album!

Edited by BrufordFreak - June 30 2021 at 16:12
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2021 at 22:22
I have every copy of this record sans the newest remix, so I'm interested to hear it.

I think it should be included on PA.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2021 at 00:38
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Thanks for this detailed assessment, Will. I for one am interested as Free Hand is, for me, my favorite and considered "best" of GG's discography (other than the amazing Playing the Fool)--which leads me to my second point which is that all of the post-Derek albums have always seemed to lack something in the engineering/sound department that I felt could be improved upon--they just sound a bit too cool and distant, lack the warmth and inviting feel of GG, Acquiring the Taste, Three Friends, and Octopus (at least, to my ears.) For instance, when I listen to versions of studio album songs as rendered live on Playing the Fool or from video footage from concerts "Sight and Sound," "Long Beach 1975," "Brussels," etc.) there just seems to be more life and warmth than some of the album versions--despite the fact that I LOVE the studio albums. So, thank you: I am interested in hearing re-mastered or re-mixed versions of this GREAT album!

I believe you mean post-Phil.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2021 at 05:56
Hi,

Goodness ... I wonder how many more times do we have to post this?

Can an Admin plz put these together? 
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2021 at 06:43
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Goodness ... I wonder how many more times do we have to post this?

Can an Admin plz put these together? 
Goodness....I wonder how many more times you need to be a jerk. The first post was a "get the word out" thread. This is a different topic. But if you paid attention you would know that.
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2021 at 08:53
This is certainly a fine opportunity to highlight a fine release. Since instrumental & vocal qualities have received a new treatment, it can be worth including this edition in the Archives, so detailed information, and possibly reviews focused on the changes made, will be available to interested people.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2021 at 16:12
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

Thanks for this detailed assessment, Will. I for one am interested as Free Hand is, for me, my favorite and considered "best" of GG's discography (other than the amazing Playing the Fool)--which leads me to my second point which is that all of the post-Derek albums have always seemed to lack something in the engineering/sound department that I felt could be improved upon--they just sound a bit too cool and distant, lack the warmth and inviting feel of GG, Acquiring the Taste, Three Friends, and Octopus (at least, to my ears.) For instance, when I listen to versions of studio album songs as rendered live on Playing the Fool or from video footage from concerts "Sight and Sound," "Long Beach 1975," "Brussels," etc.) there just seems to be more life and warmth than some of the album versions--despite the fact that I LOVE the studio albums. So, thank you: I am interested in hearing re-mastered or re-mixed versions of this GREAT album!

YES! Brain fart! Thanks for catching that. I'll correct it tout suite!

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2021 at 08:01
I will have to hear this new mix, as Free Hand is my favorite GG album, and I do like all of theirs. I do have the Aculard remaster which I quite like.

Edited by presdoug - July 01 2021 at 08:03
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2021 at 22:27

Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

YES! Brain fart! Thanks for catching that. I'll correct it tout suite!

Not to fret! I read this knowing you meant Phil, and even read it as Phil and didn't realize you said Derek by mistake until someone else quoted you LOL Clap.

GG Rules!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
 Post Reply Post Reply