Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Tull/Comus Mother Goose/ Winter is a Coloured Bird
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tull/Comus Mother Goose/ Winter is a Coloured Bird

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which of these songs do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
22 [68.75%]
10 [31.25%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tull/Comus Mother Goose/ Winter is a Coloured Bird
    Posted: July 03 2021 at 23:31
Both of these songs were released on "singles" in 1971. In Jethro Tull's case it is on the album Aqualung and in Comus' case it was previously unreleased. I would guess that Jethro Tull gets more votes, but I don't treat these polls like contests.

Please don't vote without heaving listened to/ knowing both.

Just a fanboy passin' through.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2021 at 00:51
JT here.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2021 at 04:21
The Tulls. 
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2021 at 06:48
Comus' track is certainly nice, but Mother Goose is far beyond it, so Tull gets my vote.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2021 at 07:47
Tull. One has to be in the mood to listen to Comus.  And I haven't been in that mood for years.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2021 at 08:33
Interesting, I thought this track match-up would be closer than this even though that Comus track is just the B side from quite a long "single" and "bonus" track on some releases (mostly wanted to mention it because I thought some might not know it even if they know First Utterance). I know I often favour the newer discoveries in polls, and I thought various people might enjoy it who didn't yet know it. The Jethro Tull may be well go far beyond it (honestly, even with all my time at PA I still feel like a total noob when it comes to evaluating music, which is why I rarely review music -- haven't learnt as much in my time here as I feel I should have), but I adore "Winter is a Coloured Bird". Mind you, I also genuinely love The Shaggs, so there is that. I don't generally vote in my own polls, but I will give the Comus its first and maybe its only vote.   To me that is up there with First Utterance tracks, and well, I also love music from To Keep From Crying. I have the 2005 Song to Comus: The Complete Collection (then made incomplete with the release of Out of the Coma, which I also like, which has First Utterance, To Keep From Crying, and as well as several "bonus" tracks which I love, including the one in this poll).

I thought the two tracks would work quite well to compare beyond the year, fact that they were both released as B sides on singles, and the avian titles, but that's probably just me.
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2021 at 08:55
I kind of see them as equal, but gave Comus the vote as it seems to be the underdog.  I've gotten to like it over the last couple years.
Z
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2021 at 09:55
Tull...with Goose
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2021 at 11:20
I prefer the Comus track, myself.

There’s always the possibility that people haven’t listened to both, and are simply voting for Tull, because they know that song. Or, it could simply be that Comus are by far more a sound that’s less popular than Tull. (I was going to say harder to listen to, but don’t really feel that’s fair. I don’t find Comus hard to listen to, but they are definitely less popular, even among those who have heard both bands.)

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2021 at 13:34
^ I expect that there will be those who don't listen to both tracks especially when you take a popular, big name choice and pit it up against, well, in this case, more of a cult band, and that there are those who will just vote for the preferred band without taking into consideration the actual songs they should be comparing. I prefer the Comus track and generally am more into Comus than Jethro Tull, but I do like "Mother Goose".

One thing that some find off-putting with various Comus is that Roger Wootton can sound quite like a goat, and I could well imagine certain vocals being off-putting to some in "Winter is a Coloured Bird".

I'm guessing that Manuel who finds Mother Goose superior is looking at both from certain technical standpoints. Not being much of a musician or composer, or having studied much music theory (to which one expressed before that I shouldn't be a collab due to my lack of music expertise), I'm often out of my depth when it comes to such things. It's that lack of expertise that makes this site more fun for me in a way, but I should have learnt way more in my many years here, I feel.
Morelia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Morelia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2021 at 13:39
I didn't know Comus. And I'm blown away.
Thanks for that.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2021 at 14:22
I've had the original Comus ..on cd BGO, (the vinyl is outrageous in cost if you find an original), for a long time.
'Winter Is A Coloured Bird' is not on the original release....but was a bonus track on the later 2001 cd, later when people started wanting the Comus material. It's one of those sought after collectable things even though  imho it's a bit over rated. Like many of these things they become obscure due to various low copy numbers on original vinyl and are sought after often for those reasons.
I personally chose Tull because that track is one of my favorites from Aqualung...that melody line just knocks me out, but Comus is a classic in it's own way.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2021 at 14:49
Close contest. 

I"ll go Comus 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2021 at 15:12
My favourite Comus song versus one of my favourite Tull songs. I pick Comus because this song has that genuine wyrdness without some disgusting elements that are all too obviously present on First Utterance.
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2021 at 16:51
Love 'Winter is a Coloured Bird". Of course the Tull track is great too, but I find the Comus track more enchanting.

Bobby Watson's vocals are mesmerizing on this track, and the vocal line at 4.10 is stunning in its beauty

Its a bonus track on the CD release of First Utterance, and initially it was the track that struck me more than the main album tracks
Songs cast a light on you
Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2021 at 04:16
I love the originality of Comus and it's captured perfectly here. 
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2021 at 14:36
Both very good and I didn't know the Comus track. Had heard some Comus before but apparently much less than I should. I voted for Tull in the other one and Mother Goose is good but not quite My God, so slight preference for Comus here. Although I like the Comus track in the other poll even more.

Edited by Lewian - July 05 2021 at 14:38
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2021 at 20:33
Originally posted by Morelia Morelia wrote:

I didn't know Comus. And I'm blown away.
Thanks for that.

Really glad to hear that. I love it.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2022 at 02:00
Jethro Tull - Mother Goose
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
 Post Reply Post Reply