Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Jethro Tull and  Comus: Lick your colours clean
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jethro Tull and Comus: Lick your colours clean

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Comparing the two songs, which is your preference?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [25.00%]
9 [75.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jethro Tull and Comus: Lick your colours clean
    Posted: July 05 2021 at 17:58
While in my last Comus + Jethro Tull poll I included a couple of tracks that were released in 1971 as singles, this time I'm including ones just used as bonus tracks. In JT's case in the last poll, the song also was released on the original Aqualung, and in Comus case for the last poll it was originally released on a maxi-single, then later included as a bonus track on certain CDs.

Jethro Tull's "Lick Your Fingers Clean" was recorded for Aqualung, but not used. It is on some re-releases. "All the Colours of Darkness" might have been recorded around the time of the First Utterance sessions and is found on some version of the CD re-release of First Utterance as well as Comus:The Complete Collection.

Please don't vote without having listened to both, and bonus points if you comment on both selections.

Here are the tracks for those that don't know either or both:

Just a fanboy passin' through.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2021 at 20:32
Never heard the Comus track before. My vote goes for Tull.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2021 at 20:41
^ Thanks for listening, Manuel. The two present very different soundscapes/ moods. Hope it makes for something interesting contrast for people. Partially being more of a sombre hombre, and more of a folkie than a rocker, I prefer the Comus. And I love the guitar work in much Comus.

Edited by Logan - July 05 2021 at 20:44
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2021 at 20:43
Tull completely rerecorded and re-orchestrated "Lick Your Fingers Clean" and renamed it as "Two Fingers" for the War Child album....

There are much better associated songs that did not appear on Aqualung...

Life is a Long Song
Up the 'Pool
Just Trying to Be
From Later 
Dr. Bogenbroom
Nursie

All which appeared on an EP released in the UK. 

P.S. As is usual with Comus, the instrumental aspects are first rate, but the vocals are utterly deplorable. 

Edited by The Dark Elf - July 05 2021 at 20:45
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2021 at 20:56
^ I actually like the vocals a lot in the other two Comus tracks I posted. I like the weirdness and goat-like qualities of Wooten in various music, which makes it more unusual and gives it more of that pagan, wyrd folk feel, and the rather naïve vocals of Bobbie Watson (which also contribute to that) -- the vocals fit for me --- but in this one the vocals are not my favourite (neither eccentric nor accomplished). Love it instrumentally, and am okay with the vocals (she strains in this). I should do one more of these, with a track from Out of the Coma and maybe J-Tull Dot Com (just to highlight some of the later stuff from both). Still, the mood/ambience and instrumentation work well for me (I don't like it as much as Winter is a Coloured Bird, The Herald or various other Comus music from various albums).

Edited by Logan - July 05 2021 at 21:03
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2021 at 21:29
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^ I actually like the vocals a lot in the other two Comus tracks I posted. I like the weirdness and goat-like qualities of Wooten in various music, which makes it more unusual and gives it more of that pagan, wyrd folk feel, and the rather naïve vocals of Bobbie Watson (which also contribute to that) -- the vocals fit for me --- but in this one the vocals are not my favourite (neither eccentric nor accomplished). Love it instrumentally, and am okay with the vocals (she strains in this). I should do one more of these, with a track from Out of the Coma and maybe J-Tull Dot Com (just to highlight some of the later stuff from both). Still, the mood/ambience and instrumentation work well for me (I don't like it as much as Winter is a Coloured Bird, The Herald or various other Comus music from various albums).

Imagine if Comus had someone like Sandy Denny, Jacqui McShee or Maddy Prior singing? They probably would have actually sold some albums, particularly with how accomplished they are instrumentally. You know what Bobby Watson sounds like? A groupie that screwed the bandleader really good and so got recording time. 
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2021 at 21:37
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Imagine if Comus had someone like Sandy Denny, Jacqui McShee or Maddy Prior singing? They probably would have actually sold some albums, particularly with how accomplished they are instrumentally. You know what Bobby Watson sounds like? A groupie that screwed the bandleader really good and so got recording time. 

Those are sound comparisons, while of course she isn't as accomplished a singer. Comus with Jacqui McShee or Sandy Denny and Buffy Sainte-Marie on dual vocal duties would be amazing.

By the way, I will check out those other Aqualung related ones you mentioned. I have Aqualung on a cassette I purchased in the 80s which doesn't feature the bonus tracks, and prepared this poll rather too quickly on my phone while waiting in the car.

Edited by Logan - July 05 2021 at 21:41
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2021 at 22:01

Those are sound comparisons, while of course she isn't as accomplished a singer. Comus with Jacqui McShee or Sandy Denny and Buffy Sainte-Marie on dual vocal duties would be amazing.

By the way, I will check out those other Aqualung related ones you mentioned. I have Aqualung on a cassette I purchased in the 80s which doesn't feature the bonus tracks, and prepared this poll rather too quickly on my phone while waiting in the car.

Actually, I had considered the idea of someone like Sandy Denny singing for Comus some time ago. Denny had a way of singing occult themes and gave them both an innocence and a malevolent undercurrent. Listen to "Tam Lin" (about faery abduction), "Battle of Evermore" (with Zeppelin), or imagine Comus playing this one (about a werefox...seriously, a werefox):

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2021 at 22:03

Actually, I had considered the idea of someone like Sandy Denny singing for Comus some time ago. Denny had a way of singing occult themes and gave them both an innocence and a malevolent undercurrent. Listen to "Tam Lin" (about faery abduction), "Battle of Evermore" (with Zeppelin), or imagine Comus playing this one (about a werefox...seriously, a werefox):

P.S. The other songs I mentioned from the Aqualung sessions all appeared on Living in the Past.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2021 at 22:08
Tull for me
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2021 at 03:44
The Tulls. 
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2021 at 06:23

^ Thanks for listening, Manuel. The two present very different soundscapes/ moods. Hope it makes for something interesting contrast for people. Partially being more of a sombre hombre, and more of a folkie than a rocker, I prefer the Comus. And I love the guitar work in much Comus.
I always enjoy listening to music I’ve never heard before. It’s actually a good song, and I thank you for introducing me t it.

Edited by Manuel - July 06 2021 at 06:23
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2021 at 17:30
Sorta kinda a tie. The Tull song is cool. It's how Tull sounded as they were picking up some real steam. Comus' song has a coolly hypnotic charm. I'm not turned off by the vocal the way others appear to be. Not sure how to vote on this one yet.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2022 at 11:15
Jethro Tull - Lick Your Fingers Clean
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
 Post Reply Post Reply