Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Do you like Ian Anderson's voice on Heavy Horses?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do you like Ian Anderson's voice on Heavy Horses?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Well do you?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
43 [84.31%]
3 [5.88%]
5 [9.80%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do you like Ian Anderson's voice on Heavy Horses?
    Posted: July 14 2021 at 00:59
I recently got around to spinning Heavy Horses for about the first time since finally getting into Jethro Tull, and I hadn't remembered how rough and gravelly Anderson's vocals are on this album. It's such a sudden shift away from his cleaner, more nimble vocals on Songs In The Wood as well, I really wasn't sure how to feel about it. I'll have to revisit the album again before I decide what to vote, but I'm interested to know what other Tull listeners think. Do you like Ian's voice on HH? Do you prefer it to his earlier vocals?
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2021 at 01:23
Except for maybe the title track and a few other parts, he puts on that gravelly voice like he did on Jack-in-the-Green from the previous album. I definitely hear it. The mouse tracks especially. I dig it though. I don't know how he keeps it up without ruining his voice! It wrecks mine.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2021 at 01:43
Yes. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
VianaProghead View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VianaProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2021 at 02:18
Yes, no problem.
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2021 at 02:52
of course, a big yes, among their best albums for sure and Anderson's among best performance
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2021 at 07:15
Oyus.

Welcome to the middle of the film.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2021 at 07:21
it took me decades to be able to listen to a Tull album all the way through because of Ian's voice grating on me, but I mostly like it now, at least his voice during this period.  And I like it alot on this album, probably a top 3 Tull album for me

Edited by kenethlevine - July 14 2021 at 07:22
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2021 at 08:29
one of my favorite JT albums, I don't see anything wrong with the vocals. Confused
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2021 at 09:18
Ian's vocals definitely sound strained and gravelly on this album and they do bother me a bit. BTW, you have an excellent ear.

Edited by SteveG - July 14 2021 at 09:19
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2021 at 11:48
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Ian's vocals definitely sound strained and gravelly on this album and they do bother me a bit. BTW, you have an excellent ear.

As someone who sings pretty much every day for my own entertainment, I just can't fathom how he's able to "put on" such a low, forceful growl for so long. It's not that I think it sounds bad, but it's one of those things where you see someone get hurt and you can't help but feel a bit of their pain.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2021 at 12:09
I do. I think it was still at its peak.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2021 at 12:30
Originally posted by Sacro_Porgo Sacro_Porgo wrote:

As someone who sings pretty much every day for my own entertainment, I just can't fathom how he's able to "put on" such a low, forceful growl for so long. It's not that I think it sounds bad, but it's one of those things where you see someone get hurt and you can't help but feel a bit of their pain.
Yes, but some people sing naturally like this without pain. Think of it that way, perhaps it will help.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2021 at 14:52

Originally posted by Sacro_Porgo Sacro_Porgo wrote:

Yes, but some people sing naturally like this without pain. Think of it that way, perhaps it will help.

True, but at the same time I know what his natural voice sounded like for years prior to that, so the sudden change leads me to believe he either hurt it accidentally or he was putting on a voice he wasn't used to.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2021 at 15:06
Si.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2021 at 22:54
I know it's only Heavy Horses but I like it, like it, yes I do.

I LIKE it...

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2021 at 11:43
It does bother me somewhat yes, but it's still the last JT-album I treasure (for its stack of wonderful tunes). Ian Anderson had a wonderful voice up until the mid-70's.

I have a similar issue with Peter Hammill's gritty vocals on Van Der Graaf Generator - Still Life

Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2021 at 13:00
When you don't like the album, it's hard to like the voice.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2021 at 14:33
Yes.. Fine song, too.

I like his voice on "Locomotive Breath" - that anger/attitude.
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2021 at 16:17
He had a cold at the time. It is pretty rough on Living in these hard times. Ian must have added reverb to hide the roughness lol
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2021 at 17:24
What's wrong with his voice?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>