Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Univers Zero 1977-1986

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: What's your favorite tune?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [18.75%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [12.50%]
3 [18.75%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [12.50%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [6.25%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [6.25%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [6.25%]
1 [6.25%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [12.50%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Univers Zero 1977-1986
    Posted: July 15 2021 at 12:07
I just love Univers Zero's "20th century classical chamber rock approach to prog" and their whole discography is pretty close to perfection. Especially their first five albums (I do have a prefernce for the first three, peronally), and these are all the 24+1 magnificent tracks present on those. I don't know what to vote for myself, but it's either:

-Malaise, Docteur Petiot, Jack the Ripper, Vous le Saurez en Temps Voulu... or perhaps Triomphe des Mouches.

Don't know them yet? Well, do something about it!
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2021 at 12:13
Holy crap this is a difficult poll!
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2021 at 12:23
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Holy crap this is a difficult poll!
I'd say:) - not a weak tune in sight and at least a dozen absolute highlights of the whole Avant/RIO-scene.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2021 at 12:57
As I know UZ isn't exactly a household name among proggers, I'm gonna post those five favorites of mine (but the most played songs on spotify are La Faulx, Dense and Presage)

Ok, so here's their top three "popular" amazing tracks as well:

...and the first tune that piqued my interest:

Edited by Saperlipopette! - July 15 2021 at 13:10
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2021 at 14:11
Haha, "tunes"... Actually when it comes to UZ I am much more of an album than a track listener. Will make my mind up later.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2021 at 14:15
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Haha, "tunes"... Actually when it comes to UZ I am much more of an album than a track listener. Will make my mind up later.
Yeah I should have gone for "ditty":). As for albums, their two first are both desert island discs for me
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2021 at 14:25
Oof, difficult indeed!

I'll vote for Jack The Ripper, one of the best and most representative of the avant-prog/RIO scene IMO. But I really want to vote for Heatwave, The Funeral Plane, and Combat as well. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2021 at 14:34
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Oof, difficult indeed!

I'll vote for Jack The Ripper, one of the best and most representative of the avant-prog/RIO scene IMO.
I wholeheartedly agree (and of course I love the ones you also want to vote for)
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2021 at 19:07
The Funeral Plain for me but yeah some killer tracks listed there. 
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2021 at 19:59
This is a hard one. so many great tunes. I’ll have to wait a little before I can vote.
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2021 at 01:55
You can't do this to us!!  I love UZ:  I first heard about them via the inaugural RIO festival in 78 and had no idea about their career until a few years ago and I started gleefully catching up.  When all our prog heroes started simplifying like mad in the late 70s, UZ went in the opposite direction!  I wished I had seen them during this period.  The poll omits 'The Crawling Wind EP' which later included the wonderful Influences  that appeared on the legendary Recommended sampler in 1982, which I may well have voted for.  Here, it goes to La Faulx -  their tour de force.  
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2021 at 04:43
I'll go with Dense
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2021 at 09:51
Originally posted by Rick1 Rick1 wrote:

You can't do this to us!!  I love UZ:  I first heard about them via the inaugural RIO festival in 78 and had no idea about their career until a few years ago and I started gleefully catching up.  When all our prog heroes started simplifying like mad in the late 70s, UZ went in the opposite direction!  I wished I had seen them during this period.  The poll omits 'The Crawling Wind EP' which later included the wonderful Influences  that appeared on the legendary Recommended sampler in 1982, which I may well have voted for.  Here, it goes to La Faulx -  their tour de force.  
Yes, I sort of forgot about Crawling Wind. But its a live album/EP "collection", and the poll was perfectly filled to the brim with their 25 first studio tracks. Still I guess I should relisten to Influences - which I have no recollection of.
rik wilson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rik wilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2021 at 17:00
I'm with, "Dense". My other faves are Emanations ; "Celesta (for Chantal )
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2021 at 19:20
I go for Heatwave. Dense is great, too... actually they are so consistent, half of these would qualify for "best".
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2021 at 16:00
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I go for Heatwave. Dense is great, too... actually they are so consistent, half of these would qualify for "best".
True. Although I have a slight preference for their earlier works. I ended up voting for Malaise, as its such a joyous "tune". It simply brings me so much listening pleasure and there's nothing quite like it - outside of Shostacovich.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2021 at 05:14
Went for The Funeral Plain; some of the most bleak frightening music ever. Great. Andy Kirk came up with the most evil music...

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2021 at 14:01
I can't think of a more consistently good band that released albums over many years than Univers Zéro. I do return to the début the most, but the first three albums in particular have received a large amount of playing time over the years. Mine is the third vote for "Malaise".
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2021 at 01:12
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I can't think of a more consistently good band that released albums over many years than Univers Zéro. I do return to the début the most, but the first three albums in particular have received a large amount of playing time over the years. Mine is the third vote for "Malaise".
That makes two of us:) - in regards to all that you wrote.
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2021 at 08:45
I feel like I should listen to Heatwave in its entirety before I vote.

I feel like Heatwave would be quite good, given what I've heard. 

I'm definitely a Uzed  fan, so I'd probably vote "Présage". 

Fairly luke-warm on the rest of the albums TBH, but it's been a long while since I've played them...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>