Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pink Floyd - Least Inspired Album Art

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Which album art do you consider to be the least inspired?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [3.70%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [5.56%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
11 [20.37%]
2 [3.70%]
1 [1.85%]
0 [0.00%]
12 [22.22%]
1 [1.85%]
12 [22.22%]
1 [1.85%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.85%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.85%]
5 [9.26%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [3.70%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2021 at 22:36
The Final Cut.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2021 at 22:43
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Atom Heart Mother (1970) is UDDERLY underwhelming.
Sure, it's become an iconic image...of sorts...to some. But it's lazy and pedestrian.
Of course I have no doubt that an art grad would expound a deep critique into the subtext of the cow's arse and all it's societal meaning...YAWN.
If record companies were ever to remaster covers, this should be the first one they do !

Oh, and I like cheese too.

That’s how I feel about DSotM. Iconic as hell, but just as uninspired. I don’t dislike the cover for DSotM, and I definitely like it more than the contents, but compared to the rest of the covers it doesn’t seem anywhere near as inspired.

It probably received about 10% of it's record sales from that cover.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2021 at 01:08
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Atom Heart Mother (1970) is UDDERLY underwhelming.
Sure, it's become an iconic image...of sorts...to some. But it's lazy and pedestrian.
Of course I have no doubt that an art grad would expound a deep critique into the subtext of the cow's arse and all it's societal meaning...YAWN.
If record companies were ever to remaster covers, this should be the first one they do !

Oh, and I like cheese too.

That’s how I feel about DSotM. Iconic as hell, but just as uninspired. I don’t dislike the cover for DSotM, and I definitely like it more than the contents, but compared to the rest of the covers it doesn’t seem anywhere near as inspired.

It probably received about 10% of it's record sales from that cover.

I’m well aware of that. In fact, I would have guessed far more than ten per cent. I wouldn’t have ven batted an eyelid if you’d said only 10% of its record sales were NOT because of that cover. It doesn’t change the argument of whether or not it is uninspired, though. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2021 at 01:27
somewhere between The Final Cut (the old super close up images at least had the effects of psychedelia going for them) and Ummagumma (it just seems so out of character to feature the band members on the album cover, aside from Piper, which was practically a different band considering Syd's input).
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2021 at 08:27
The Wall.
Take away Comfortably Numb and this abomination has nothing whatsoever to recommend it, either in the music or the artwork.

A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2021 at 09:50
The Final Cut. Storm Thorgerson and Hipgnosis, who created some of the most iconic album covers of all time for Floyd, were shelved, and so who created the cover? Roger Waters. 

That's all you have to know. He wrote the sorry album, and he gift wrapped the piece of sh*t as well.

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2021 at 10:51
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

The Wall. Appropriate, yes, but they may as well just used plain cardboard - which would have been more appropriately bleak. Tongue Atom Heart Mother comes a close second. Both are great albums, though.

The inner sleeve art, as others have pointed out, is fabulous, especially after the bleakness of the outer cover.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2021 at 11:33
^ Indeed, but it did still seem a bit of a jolt to the senses after all those wonderful covers by Hipgnosis.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2021 at 00:19
Hard to say. DSOTM was 'smoke and mirrors' to me. Means absolutely nothing but cons you into believing something important is going on. I think I really hate it when it comes to it. However for the sake of the poll The Wall is just so 'well its the album title and concept so what do you expect? its a wall and walls are not interesting!'.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2021 at 17:15
The Final Cut's - as uninspired as the music .
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2021 at 18:23
Obscured By Clouds which also happens to be the least inspired Floyd album before the great fall after The Wall

The Wall is a boring album cover but actually works for the symbolic effect

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2021 at 19:00
I loved The Wall when I was a teenager because the angst resonated. As I got older, I realized what a giant pity party it was and lost interest. Would I call it uninspired? Hell no. Self-pity is undoubtedly the most ubiquitous source of artistic inspiration. 

Now, The Final Cut on the other hand just seems like a third disc piggybacked onto The Wall because Waters' self-pity evolved into a messiah complex. But really, I don't feel that there was much inspiration to anything after that either.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2021 at 02:24
I hadn't read well the thread title and voted Permanent Lapse of Reason, but it's definitely not the least inspired artwork. I'd take back my vote and put it either for OBC , but more likely Piper as well.
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2021 at 05:16
Endless River. Sentimental, witless and trite. It might mean well but it needed a Floydian sense of irony not Dave's wife liking the painting I've seen used here and there.
Lieutenant_Lan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lieutenant_Lan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2021 at 08:32
The wall is one of there best albums but the album cover... is pretty lame. It doesent have as much significant meaning in the art as other albums do. Its just a wall.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12