Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interview with Tony Banks - synth gear related

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interview with Tony Banks - synth gear related
    Posted: July 27 2021 at 16:47
I just saw this video over the weekend. The interviewer, Dina Pearlman, is the daughter of Alan Pearlman, the inventor of ARP synthesizers. This probably doesn't go real "geeky" on the synth gear, but nonetheless, it was an interesting interview. Banks talks about his ARP Pro Soloist, the ARP 2600, the ARP Quadra, Prophet-5, Prophet-10, Mellotron, and some others. The video is just over an hour long.

Link if the video doesn't display: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUYJTr6YDWs
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2021 at 19:09
Hi,

This was actually very good and neat. 

You don't always get a chance to hear folks talk about the equipment and how they used it, and in this case it was excellent that TB had a chance to discuss many of the instruments and how they were used.

Also neat is his sense of history when it comes to the instrument. While not always visible and clear, he was well aware and wanting to check out different things, and how they worked and all that, but it seemed that for the most part, his choice of instruments was always dependent on the reliability for the stage. Which makes sense to everyone.

Reminds me of Bill Bruford and his problems with the electronic drums, which he discusses on his book ... he was even getting frustrated because they could not be tuned right and were different every night! Sounds familiar when it comes to many synths and their history!

Neat. I don't think I have heard anyone talk about the instruments and how the musician felt about it ... very special in its own way! We can only hope that more folks listen to this and appreciate how many things are done, something that many artists have this weird idea that it is some sort of secret. There are no secrets. Only how you and I and the artist use these things, and find a way to fit them!

Edited by moshkito - July 29 2021 at 22:03
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply