Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Big Big Train - Common Ground

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foregonillusions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Big Big Train - Common Ground
    Posted: July 30 2021 at 23:46
BBT's latest opus recently dropped, and somebody already cross-posted their review to the Archives. What are your thoughts so far? To reviewers, do you anticipate a positive, middling, or negative review in these nascent days?
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2021 at 01:14
I've had 4 listens so far and enjoying it a lot.

My initial thoughts are that they are stretching out a bit without losing their core style and sound. I like the use of different vocalists on a few tracks and assume that Rikard is singing track 2 (All The Love We Can Give). It does sound like his lovely baritone judging by the Gungfly albums I own. There is also an excellent instrumental track Apollo (written by Nick) and another brilliant epic to add to their cannon Atlantic Cable (written by Greg).
Hopefully it will drag in a few new fans while retaining their hard earned gains. 
nb I've booked a ticket for Bath Forum next year 19 March. Going on my own so if anyone is going that wants to meet up for a drink let me know by pm.

Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2021 at 02:04
^ Check out the FaceBook group - The Bath Line - 2022 Big Big Train Tour - which is an offshoot from the main BBT group. Over 50 people and I’m sure plans for get-togethers will form nearer the time. I’m on the York and Manchester ones.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2021 at 02:37
Another great album - fresh ideas along with a typical BBT feel. My current track rating is: 

The Strangest Times ****
All The Love We Can Give ***
Black With Ink ****
Dandelion Clock *****
Headwaters ****
Apollo *****
Common Ground ****
Atlantic Cable *****
Endnotes *****

That’s an unweighted 4.33 score (in progarchives style) for me.

Tracks 1-3 took most time to click for me. A few have not liked the topical lockdown lyrics, but For me they provide a nice, almost innocent sense of time and place. Track 2 has David singing in a lower register and Nick contributes the higher register vocals more. Many like the freshness of this approach, although I miss David’s usual vocal style here. Credit for him wanting to stretch his range more, though. However, the key is treating the song on its merits alone and not necessarily a typical BBT song. It is growing on me. Track 3 has multi-vocals, but for many it is the hint of Kim Wilde’s Kids In America that is distracting. However, the more-instrumental second half more than banishes those minor concerns and is very progressive. Track 4 is more typical BBT loveliness and Rikard’s keyboard interlude in Track 5 works very well before the power and majesty of the instrumental Track 6 - which should be a real live proggy highlight. It works well within the album setting, as does the title track on Track 7 - once again typical BBT in structure. Track 8 is the highlight for me - a true BBT epic that is getting some rave postings. The Final track, Track 9, is proving equally popular with most, with real emotion and beautiful brass work as it concludes. 

With the many personnel changes, I think Greg, Nick, Rikard and David have found a balance between keeping things recognisably BBT, but also pushing the envelope more - and whilst the earlier tracks require more plays to get used to those differences, it is worthwhile. Track 4 onwards hits more immediately. Nick seems to be getting more freedom in driving the content on this one, along with the others. I feel the drums, and Greg’s bass, are higher in the mix too.

The general response is very favourable, with many claiming it’s their best one ever, whilst a few others feel it is a step away from Grand Tour, but still very good. A few say that they are needing more repeat plays to fully soak it up, especially the earlier trio of tracks, but I’m not picking up anyone who doesn’t like it, full stop (in the way SW’s The Future Bites divided that fan base). 

Those familiar with, and liking, the traditional BBT sound will lap it up, but those who maybe were less won over by it from previous albums, might find the sound has progressed as well and could find much to enjoy.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2021 at 15:14
^ It's seems very odd to me that David would try and sing in such a low register on track 2 when there is a natural baritone in the band . Agreed that it works very well though. btw thanks for the info on the FaceBook group.
foregonillusions View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foregonillusions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2021 at 23:27
Appreciate your thoughts, gentlemen. Apollo is a fantastic track; one of the best instrumentals I've heard this year. That aside, does anybody worry that some of the tracks on this album will sound dated due to its relation with current events? (They're also pretty corny, I think.)
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2021 at 07:54
I'm kinda blown away. Addition by subtraction? I loved Grand Tour (actually my favorite of 2019) but this feels more focused. It's plenty weird too. David's odd baritone, the Elton John thing on the opening track, "Black As Ink" sounding for all the world like "Kids In America" and a Dave Gregory-less version of the band doing their best XTC impersonation ("Dandelion Clock.") 

And the epic is perfect. Just wow.
The Prog Corner
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2021 at 05:17
Originally posted by foregonillusions foregonillusions wrote:

Appreciate your thoughts, gentlemen. Apollo is a fantastic track; one of the best instrumentals I've heard this year. That aside, does anybody worry that some of the tracks on this album will sound dated due to its relation with current events? (They're also pretty corny, I think.)

in twenty years they will reform as BBT2 and do a follow up album 'Return To Common Ground' ....well probably notSmile
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2021 at 06:59
Yeah you have to be pretty tone deaf to think giving your music COVID related lyrics is a good idea. Basing your subject matter on something that almost universally reminds people of a miserable time in their lives. Especially with phrases like "The Strangest Times" the type of sh*t we heard on every commercial for a good year. Instantly dated, but with that said, I think this is a strong release from the band, even the aforementioned song. I have to listen to it more but it does kinda of hinder my enjoyment of the album a little bit.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2021 at 14:33
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Yeah you have to be pretty tone deaf to think giving your music COVID related lyrics is a good idea. Basing your subject matter on something that almost universally reminds people of a miserable time in their lives. Especially with phrases like "The Strangest Times" the type of sh*t we heard on every commercial for a good year. Instantly dated, but with that said, I think this is a strong release from the band, even the aforementioned song. I have to listen to it more but it does kinda of hinder my enjoyment of the album a little bit.

same
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2021 at 00:34
Tying music to a point in history is what makes a lot of prog interesting. Nostalgia is also a very strange thing in itself. Many people looked back on WW2 as a time of unity and purpose and not just a lot of death.
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2021 at 00:43
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Tying music to a point in history is what makes a lot of prog interesting. Nostalgia is also a very strange thing in itself. Many people looked back on WW2 as a time of unity and purpose and not just a lot of death.
I maintain COVID is going to bring out a lot of creativity in the bands we love, many of whom are bringing out new albums this year. See how it transpires by the end of the year.
TheEliteExtremophile View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheEliteExtremophile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2021 at 00:15
BBT is one of those bands I have simply never, ever understood the hype for. Maybe their music is too major-key for my taste, or maybe it's just too pillowy. Either way, this just feels like another unimaginative slog to me, and I struggled to make my way through it. It's not bad. It's just dull, and it failed to grab my attention.

Then again, I acknowledge I'm well in the minority on this topic.
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2021 at 04:11
Heard the singles, not impressed, and the album was not on my to-hear list anyway, so I guess for now I will skip this one.
I get a feeling BBT are also beginning to repeat themselves a little, but to the point where it becomes uninteresting; their works around the beginning of the 2010s are really good, though!

Edited by A Crimson Mellotron - August 24 2021 at 04:11
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2021 at 05:05
Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

Heard the singles, not impressed, and the album was not on my to-hear list anyway, so I guess for now I will skip this one.
I get a feeling BBT are also beginning to repeat themselves a little, but to the point where it becomes uninteresting; their works around the beginning of the 2010s are really good, though!

I kind of agree, their last few albums have not really grabbed me like some of the earlier ones did. 
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2021 at 00:31
I would argue their pinnacle was Folklore which balanced the catchy hooks with composition and brilliant playing about right. English Electric was actually slightly too poppy to grab my attention straight away. I think the latest is a definite departure and feels more varied. It needs to settle a bit as I always argue. BBT although accessible have a lot of depth musically and that gets ignored sometimes if the hooks aren't apparent. They are the nearest thing to a modern day Genesis whereas most modern neo can sound very metal to my ears , BBT are not that! 
RoadLASER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadLASER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2021 at 08:15
Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

Agree. It seems to me that this is the weakest album in discography.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2021 at 08:12
Originally posted by foregonillusions foregonillusions wrote:

BBT's latest opus recently dropped, and somebody already cross-posted their review to the Archives. What are your thoughts so far? To reviewers, do you anticipate a positive, middling, or negative review in these nascent days?

Hi,

I've been trying to find a location where I might be able to listen to the whole thing, but so far, hearing a couple of songs on the tube, in general, I'm not impressed, and I'm already starting to feel like this is just another over blown band, that is very nice ... but it's ability and creativity is now ... forced ... in my estimation. The three pieces I have heard did not raise any attention or interest in the rest of the album at all, and I have given up looking.

Honestly, while not great, it is a nice listen, but not enough to excite the inner muscles that have been hearing progressive and experimental music for almost 55 years. It's just sad to think that the only thing they can do is "songs" that might have a meaning or two ... like you and I don't have an opinion that we think makes great song copy? 

I want something new ... something to shake my britches from here to heck and back ... and something "conventional" is not the way I do not think!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
RoadLASER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadLASER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2021 at 08:17
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

I've been trying to find a location where I might be able to listen to the whole thing, but so far, hearing a couple of songs on the tube, in general, I'm not impressed, and I'm already starting to feel like this is just another over blown band, that is very nice ... but it's ability and creativity is now ... forced ... in my estimation. The three pieces I have heard did not raise any attention or interest in the rest of the album at all, and I have given up looking.

You can hear the entire album on Bandcamp.

http://bigbigtrain.bandcamp.com/album/common-ground
Zeph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2021 at 23:53
I listened quite a bit to some of their previous albums, but the last three hasn't quite caught my attention. They feel too similar to my ear and I'm not able to get excited about it. Common Ground is perhaps a bit different, but at the same time not caught my ear.

It's easy listening and very well made music, just not that interesting.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>