Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Three Prog Metal Vocalists

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Who is your favorite, and why?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
14 [43.75%]
9 [28.13%]
9 [28.13%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Three Prog Metal Vocalists
    Posted: August 19 2021 at 11:32
I'm aware that Iron Maiden are categorized as Prog-Related rather than Prog Metal (and I understand the reasons why), but I wanted to give people a chance to compare and contrast these 3 vocalists who are often grouped together and were immensely influential on the many who followed them.

Dickinson and Tate first appeared in the early 1980's, with LaBrie following in the 1990's. All three have devoted followings, but just as many detractors as well. When voting, take everything into account: lyrics, range, stage presence, and recorded legacy. 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2021 at 11:52
In his prime ('80s) – Geoff Tate. Easily.

But the poll should include Ray Alder of Fates Warning.
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2021 at 12:13
James Labrie slightly over Bruce Dickenson both of whom a point over Geoff Tate

Geoff is amazing, but sometimes I have to factor in body of work, and I don't come back to Queensryche half as often as the other two bands. Dickenson took some time to grow on me, though the sheer resilience of his voice would have the other two beat. LaBrie I loved immediately. He's not as consistent, which can be pretty well explained by some events that happened just before the Awake tour which should've been postponed so he could rest his tired, sick voice. But to this day he sings better than most other guys making a living at this thing, plus his quiet lullaby voice is unmatched by anyone else in rock.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2021 at 12:50
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Exactly this, Tate in his prime was amazing, saw him twice live and his perfomance was fenomenal.
Bruce Dickinson its another vocalist who i really enjoy it a lot, saw him live too.

Other candidates:
Ray Alder (Fates Warning)
Arno Menses (Sieges Even, Paradiso)
Martin Lemar (Mekong delta, Tomorrow´s Eve)
Daniel Gildenlow (Pain Of Salvation)
Garm (Ulver)

Labrie live ConfusedConfused he sound like a detuned cow destined for a slaughterhouse, only enjoy his vocals in two studio albums, I&W and Awake
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2021 at 12:51
Tate, just over LaBrie. Just prefer his voice over Labrie's (no slouch himself, mind you).
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2021 at 12:58
Originally posted by Progmind Progmind wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Exactly this, Tate in his prime was amazing, saw him twice live and his perfomance was fenomenal.
Bruce Dickinson its another vocalist who i really enjoy it a lot, saw him live too.

Other candidates:
Ray Alder (Fates Warning)
Arno Menses (Sieges Even, Paradiso)
Martin Lemar (Mekong delta, Tomorrow´s Eve)
Daniel Gildenlow (Pain Of Salvation)
Garm (Ulver)

Labrie live ConfusedConfused he sound like a detuned cow destined for a slaughterhouse, only enjoy his vocals in two studio albums, I&W and Awake

Arno Menses formed Subsignal with Markus Steffen, highly recommended if you like the last albums of Sieges Even. 

Also Ray Alder sang in Redemption, replaced by Tom Englund (of Evergrey), another great vocalist. Also Ray Alder did a solo album recently, also highly recommended if you ask me. Even another band of his - Engine is interesting, more alternative metal sounding, but Ray's singing is great. 

Edited by Cristi - August 19 2021 at 12:58
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2021 at 13:01
Hi Cristi!!

Really enjoy subsignal, great underrated band!! and i really love Redemption, i must check the solo album, thanks for the recommendation!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2021 at 13:05
Geoff Tate redeemed himself  a bit with his participation in a band called Sweet Oblivion. They have two albums, good stuff, especially the first album. Tongue
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2021 at 13:37
Fabio Lione is my favourite metal vocalist. His most known band Rhapsody (of Fire) is in the archives here. So he can be counted as a prog metal vocalist.

I'll skip LaBrie.

Geoff Tate's prime is unmatched.

Bruce Dickinson was my main influence in singing. Yet, technically Tate is better.

I'll go with Tate. If I were a real Iron Maiden fan, I'd choose Dickinson though. I'm instead a massive fan of Bruce's solo career, which is not deemed as prog.

BTW, there are lots of incredible prog metal vocalists that are quite obscure. I can count perhaps 50 from memory. For instance, Artem Illusio from Switzerland released their debut earlier this year, and their singer is top-class.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2021 at 16:45
We shouldn't forget Jon Oliva, either. He's the reason I got into Savatage. (And he wrecked his voice, just like Tate did.)
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2021 at 18:07
LaBrie might be a local guy around these parts but he's really been hit and miss over the years in my opinion. Dickinson was an easy choice. The human siren and he fits MAIDEN's music perfectly. 
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2021 at 19:18
Geoff Tate and why you ask ... his range man on their most famous albums it was obvious by the album "warning' Tate had amazing vocal skills. 
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2021 at 03:25
LaBrie, the other two are metal vocalists, not prog metal Tongue
I would buy it if you included Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth or Tommy Giles Rogers from BTBAM.

Edited by A Crimson Mellotron - August 20 2021 at 03:25
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2021 at 04:49
Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

LaBrie, the other two are metal vocalists, not prog metal Tongue
I would buy it if you included Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth or Tommy Giles Rogers from BTBAM.

the OP explained his choices, both Bruce and Geoff were influential on what came later in prog-metal. 
So a fine poll if you ask me. 
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2022 at 23:27
Bruce Dickinson
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2022 at 08:49
I went with Dickinson here, for consistency across a long career.

LaBrie’s high points (I&W being the highest, along with his performance on The Human Equation) are stunning, but ore recently he’s lost his way (as have the band) and live he now really struggles.

Tate, hmm, I have never learned to appreciate O Mindcrime and his voice is certainly partly to blame. But I DO love him on Silent Lucidity😎
 Post Reply Post Reply