Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tarkus vs Meddle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Which album do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
28 [46.67%]
32 [53.33%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tarkus vs Meddle
    Posted: August 21 2021 at 19:45
I just saw a review about Meddle, in which the reviewer brought attention to the way the album is all about Echoes, and the rest is mostly lesser songs, or even joke songs... and it's just about the same that is usually said about Tarkus. So which of these two albums do you prefer?
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2021 at 19:48
I don't know why I find this tough. I've always said to myself I like Tarkus a lot and I don't love Meddle all that much, but seeing them against one another makes me realize I've been used to comparing them to their own artists' other works. I think I like the shorter songs on Tarkus better, but somehow (and I don't know how) Meddle seems more consistent.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2021 at 20:00
^ Perhaps because of the very nature of both bands. Even though Pink Floyd can have a healthy dose of variation on their music, they don't go all bombast and having time signatures all over the place, so their music in general seem to sound more consistent. ELP, well, you know, they are ELP, and they are all over the place, so, yes, some of their more joke songs and so may sound out of place, while Floyd's still keep the flow of the album.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2021 at 20:41
Mighty Tar !
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2021 at 20:43
Meddle
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2021 at 22:40
Definitely Floyd. 

I would take Tarkus as a track against Meddle though. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2021 at 02:05
Meddle all the way.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2021 at 02:31
Tarkus all the way here.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2021 at 03:16
Meddle bores me rigid but I accept it's my loss. There are 6 tracks on side two of the Tarkus album. Jeremy Bender is certainly rather whimsically lightweight and Are You Ready Eddy is egregious lazy hackwack but the rest is top notch in my book. Even side one, although mostly brill is far from perfect and that's probably true for all the Prog 'epics' that are celebrated on these forums.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2021 at 03:52
One of the weird things about Tarkus is the dichotomy of production ideas Side One to Two. All out bloated pomposity on One yet almost throwaway stuff on side two that sounds half finished. A Time And A Place is probably the best track on the album but somehow it just doesn't punch though production wise. Even the most reverend Steven Wilson couldn't fix it. Trilogy was much better production wise and more 'together'. Meddle is about perfect and before Floyd bought into the idea that production was everything. So, even though I'm an ELP fan I voted for Floyd!
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2021 at 04:28
Interesting pairing. Ultimately I prefer Echoes to Tarkus the track despite liking the latter a lot. Not much between side 1 of Meddle and side 2 of Tarkus, but again slight preference for Floyd.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2021 at 04:39
As a diehard Floyd fan I'll going with ELP in this one. Go figure. Unusual poll, btw.

Edited by SteveG - August 22 2021 at 04:41
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2021 at 05:08
Today, it's the Floyds.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2021 at 05:18
Tarkus. Love it.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2021 at 06:02
Meddle is probably my favorite Pink Floyd album and I love everything about it - even Seamus. I will never give Tarkus a second spin and I wouldn't mind never hearing ELP again.
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2021 at 06:12
This one is a 'Photo-finish' for me.  I think highly of both albums.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2021 at 06:33
Hi,

I love Echoes a lot and it probably was along with ATM and CTTE the first long pieces I really enjoyed.

However, when you hear Rachel Flowers do Tarkus on the piano you realize very quickly what a magnificent Piano Concert piece it was ... which would not have been appreciated by anyone at the time, academic or simply fan ... and because of it we can only think of it as a rock piece, which it isn't!

In the sense of "music history", and composition, I would say that Tarkus is much more valuable and important ... but I will never feel that I did not love Echoes ... still one of my favorite plays of all time.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2021 at 06:41
I tend to prefer Tarkus, so it gets my vote, but certainly not by much. Meddle is a great piece of music.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2021 at 07:00
Meddle very easily
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2021 at 09:00
Easily Tarkus
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>