Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tarkus vs Meddle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: Which album do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
28 [46.67%]
32 [53.33%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2021 at 23:40
A weaver of the web that he made!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2021 at 02:04
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

^ Strangely enough, even though I don't like the song Seamus (nor San Tropez), I do enjoy Mademoiselle Knobs. Somehow the lack of lyrics makes it less annoying or something. As for ELP, I do enjoy, particularly, "Are you Ready Eddy", I guess the only of the "joke" songs from them that I do so.

I know one of the things that annoys people about that song is Carl Palmer missing a beat. It was his thing though and he repeated it on Fanfare For The Common Man where it worked better.

Side Two Of Tarkus is just a real mess of stuff. 

Benny The Bouncer gets a lot of stick rightly and I've long thought BSS would easily be a top 20 album on PA but for it. It's especially frustrating that they could have included the track Brain Salad Surgery instead. However circling back to Tarkus it just seems they spent too long on the main suite and had nothing left to match it for the rest of the album. There was also the fact that ELP were just not so good at shorter tracks. All their best music is 10 minute + pieces. In 1971 no one was doing just long tracks.
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2021 at 02:40
^ The same can be said for Meddle - they'd spent so much time creating 'Echoes' and 'One of These Days', the rest of the tracks were recorded in a short space of time and without multiple overdubs (and hence polish).

Edited by Progishness - September 17 2021 at 02:41
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2021 at 02:42
So let me get this straight: A Pillow of Winds & Fearless... y'all don't love them?
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2021 at 18:56
^ I guess I could say I like them, but not love them. Not among the rest of Floyd's songs, at least.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2021 at 18:57
Originally posted by Progishness Progishness wrote:

^ 'Benny the Bouncer' from BSS I find hilarious.

I've often wondered if Meddle would have been a better album if Seamus & San Tropez had been discarded and they'd put 'Biding My Time' on side one instead of releasing it on Relics, as its warm romantic theme kind of fits in with the rest of the album.

I'm not much of a fan of "Biding my Time" either, I would actually put it along with San Tropez... however, there's a live version of the song on the Early Years box-sets that I really liked much better. As usual, longer and with longer and heavier guitar solos.

Edited by Dellinger - September 17 2021 at 18:58
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2021 at 18:59
Both equally.Smile
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digdug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2021 at 12:54
One of These Days... makes me vote for the Floyd this time
Prog On!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123