Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interactive Poll: Sounds of Asia

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Poll Question: Which three are your favourites?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [12.12%]
0 [0.00%]
5 [15.15%]
2 [6.06%]
2 [6.06%]
1 [3.03%]
2 [6.06%]
4 [12.12%]
2 [6.06%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [9.09%]
2 [6.06%]
4 [12.12%]
2 [6.06%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2021 at 01:59
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Next is an amazing band from Korea that mixes a lot of amazing traditional Asian styles and instruments to make a very unique sounding post rock.  This song is from an album that I listed in my top 20 releases for 2019.  Be prepared to be blown away with this one....and please listen to all of it for maximum effect.  This will most likely be my nomination to be voted on.

Jambinai - "Prelude/Onda"

Ha, here we go! I was considering these guys myself but then I checked the archives and saw your review. Then I decided to leave them to you, just in case. Wink

mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2021 at 03:06
Korean music and the traditional instruments are amazing. For some contemporary Korean music with traditional instruments, I recommend the YouTube channel Journey to Korean Music.

Many bands to recommend, but a few are Dongyang Gozupa, Black String, and Coreyah. The first two are closer to the post rock of Jambinai and I would say the third band is more prog-folk.

Edit to add that the three bands mentioned are on Bandcamp if you want hear more.

Edited by mathman0806 - August 29 2021 at 05:59
Mila-13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2021 at 04:57
Thank you very much, I'm always greatful for good music sources! There is another Korean music channel on youtube featuring live studio performances. It is in the first place interesting for indie music fans but I also found Jambinai on there. https://www.youtube.com/user/studiolovo

suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2021 at 06:18
Staying as close to home as possible, I'm giving you different tracks of one and the same band. I discovered them last year - they were nominated for a Grammy Award! - and I waited for the opportunity to introduce them in one of these interactive polls, so here it is: the Dutch-Turkish band Altin Gün!

They started five years ago and are very much inspired by 60s and 70s Turkish folk music and psychedelic folk/rock putting it in some modern sauce (sometimes veering to electro-pop or even disco...). They're mainly covering Turkish artists and/or reworking traditionals, but have also some own compositions. Maybe Özgür will recognize some tracks and know the originals...

From their first album On, originally written and composed by Neşet Ertaş: Altin Gün - Tatlı Dile Güler Yüze:

And from the same album, with more prominence for the Bağlama (a saz) and also originally by Neşet Ertaş: Altin Gün - Şad Olup Gülmedim:

From their second album Gece, originally by Muzaffer Sarısözen: Altin Gün - Süpürgesi Yoncadan:

From their third album Yol, a traditional: Altin Gün - Yüce Dağ Başında:

And if you like this, check them out on their bandcamp: https://altingunband.bandcamp.com
They just have a new album out!

Edited by suitkees - August 29 2021 at 06:21

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2021 at 06:51
^ Kees, very interesting stuff. Both sterile and organic, authentic and alienating. I'm impressed. A real trip! I'll check out their further stuff.

Tatlı Dile Güler Yüze is a very well known traditional Turkish folk song. Neşet Ertaş is a real legend. Both as a person and as an artist. Şad Olup Gülmedim of his is in a style called "uzun hava". (It means "long air", literally. It is said for the songs where the singers sing long and continuous tunes.)

Süpürgesi Yoncadan sounds very familiar, but there's a slight possibility that it is very much like to another Turkish folk music song. I know that people who are deep into Turkish folk music see all the songs in the genre as different, or very different from each other, but I'm not one of them. 99%, I already know this tune, though. BTW, I'm horrible in memorising song titles. Some Turks might condemn me and say: "How can you not be sure about hearing of Süpürgesi Yoncadan?" LOL

Yüce Dağ Başında is again a very popular traditional Turkish folk song. It is a very uplifting song. I love it!

Thanks, really. Smile 

My selections are more within the framework of the "arabesk müzik", belonging to the Turkish culture, and yours are of the "Türk Halk Müziği". Anyway, goods tunes are good tunes, irregardless of the genres; I believe.

Edited by Shadowyzard - August 29 2021 at 06:57
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2021 at 07:50
Don't know much on this topic, I know prog, metal and fusion from Japan, but not much else. 
One of the best albums I've heard this year comes from Iran (of all places) - Atravan - The Grey Line. 

One of my favorite progressive metal bands in recent years - Skyharbour - consists of musicians from India and UK. 

I may post a song or I may not EmbarrassedErmm
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2021 at 08:56
For my first nomination, I'm going to do something different. Instead of nominating a piece of music, I'm going to nominate a scene from a movie that I think conforms to the spirit of this poll. As such, I think the visual is as important as the audio.

Baraka - Balinese Monkey Chant:

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2021 at 09:40
Originally posted by Mila-13 Mila-13 wrote:

Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Next is an amazing band from Korea that mixes a lot of amazing traditional Asian styles and instruments to make a very unique sounding post rock.  This song is from an album that I listed in my top 20 releases for 2019.  Be prepared to be blown away with this one....and please listen to all of it for maximum effect.  This will most likely be my nomination to be voted on.

Jambinai - "Prelude/Onda"

Ha, here we go! I was considering these guys myself but then I checked the archives and saw your review. Then I decided to leave them to you, just in case. Wink

Thank you for that consideration!  I'm glad to see they get more recognition here than I originally thought.  They are a band that deserves it.

The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2021 at 11:32
I knew a couple of songs by Altin Gün. Great band.

Edited by The Anders - August 29 2021 at 11:32
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2021 at 11:50
^ Glad you like them too!
@Özgür: Thanks for your comments; I thought you might be able to give us some more info on the originals and their artists - thanks for that. I quite like the funky, electronic reinterpretation by Altin Gün while keeping that clear folk tradition of the songs, quite an achievement I think. Glad to make you discover them (and I was actually quite confident that you would like them Wink).

suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2021 at 11:55
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Don't know much on this topic, I know prog, metal and fusion from Japan, but not much else. 
One of the best albums I've heard this year comes from Iran (of all places) - Atravan - The Grey Line. 

One of my favorite progressive metal bands in recent years - Skyharbour - consists of musicians from India and UK. 

Go for it, Cristi! As Mila said: PA is allowed (if they're not too well known). It will give even more diversity to this poll!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2021 at 12:22
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

Oh you also mentioned that you know Dönence by Barış Manço.

I'm a fan of your (Denmark's) Ludvig Holberg. Also, I'm a massive fan of the Danish musician Finn Zierler. Do these count? Tongue
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2021 at 12:41
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

@Özgür: Thanks for your comments; I thought you might be able to give us some more info on the originals and their artists - thanks for that. I quite like the funky, electronic reinterpretation by Altin Gün while keeping that clear folk tradition of the songs, quite an achievement I think. Glad to make you discover them (and I was actually quite confident that you would like them Wink).

Thank you, man. BTW, our legend Neşet Ertaş passed away. I'm mentioning this lest there's no popular English resource mentioning it. He'll live forever for us Turks, though. 

Edited by Shadowyzard - August 29 2021 at 12:42
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2021 at 13:54
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

I'm a fan of your (Denmark's) Ludvig Holberg. Also, I'm a massive fan of the Danish musician Finn Zierler. Do these count? Tongue

Finn Ziegler, but close Wink

Baba Zula is another Turkish band I really dig. Not to mention an artist like Gaye Su Akyol.

Edited by The Anders - August 29 2021 at 13:59
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2021 at 14:00

Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

Finn Ziegler, but close Wink

Baba Zula is another Turkish band I really dig. Not to mention an artist like Gaye Su Akyol.

Nice! But, I really meant Finn Zierler, not Ziegler. Yet, I know of him too!

Here's Finn Zierler:

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2021 at 14:12
^ Never heard of him before...

Edited by The Anders - August 29 2021 at 14:12
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2021 at 14:18
^ His previous band Beyond Twilight are in the archives here. Though, you wouldn't like them, I guess. One of the moderately known prog metal bands. See my *only* review with this account (from my reviewer page), for their final album, if you're interested. Party
Mila-13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2021 at 16:24

C'mon, don't be shy! The archives are open in order to encourage people to participate. I have f.e. never heard of your suggested bands. It's exactly the best time to introduce them and also to get to know some new stuff by the way! Clap

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2021 at 16:28
Originally posted by Mila-13 Mila-13 wrote:

C'mon, don't be shy! The archives are open in order to encourage people to participate. I have f.e. never heard of your suggested bands. It's exactly the best time to introduce them and also to get to know some new stuff by the way! Clap

I'm not shy, just admitting my lack of knowledge on the topic.

I will post some songs tomorrow. Smile
Mila-13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2021 at 16:45
@ Cristi
I'm no expert either tbh. That was actually my primary motivation. This is a good opportunity to do something about it, isn't it? Welcome on board, I'm looking forward to your music choices! Beer

Edited by Mila-13 - August 29 2021 at 16:46
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>