Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Interviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Steven Wilson Interview

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steven Wilson Interview
    Posted: August 30 2021 at 15:19
I found this interview very good, done by Berklee Online. Steven touches on many things like his reason for no more Porcupine Tree, his early projects/bands, the genre of progressive rock (which I agree with him), why he is doing the kind of music he is now, the affects of critics and how it affected Craig Blundell.

Edited by Catcher10 - August 30 2021 at 15:20
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2021 at 10:47
Hi,

... people that say they play progressive music ... DON'T ...

'nuff' said!

He's mellowed out some from his attitudes about music, from some of the earlier interviews where I thought he came off a bit too strong, and not giving credit to the other musicians around him, specially PT, all of whom added something to "his" band, that made it special, much more so than the original, and made it a special band in concert for anyone that had the chance to see them.

His opinions/views on music are realistic, and him now saying to help people ignore comments so they can continue is very important. It is specially difficult, even here on PA with so many comments fitting into the area of social media, instead of criticism ... that kinda have a tendency to bring down the discussions and the topics, specially when the comments are of a personal nature, and have NOTHING to do with the topic or the details of the topic.

As a writer, and an intuitive one that writes from his dreams and visions, I can understand the nature of criticism, though I will admit that there are a handful of folks that I will listen to and accept their ideas and criticism, although (usually) at that point it is difficult to change "what you saw" in your dream, and "change" some of the moments, words or events in that thing. Thus, a lot of criticism can melt away as good as any Dali painting for me.

The source is what matters. Not the fan comments and outcome. If the famous artists, painters, writers and musicians had not ignored what others felt ... they would not have done what they did! And if this is not the clue for most folks ... they should not be where they want to be as an artist. I suppose they can always paint tomatoes for the kitchens and dining rooms of the world!

Edited by moshkito - August 31 2021 at 12:01
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
yogev View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2022 at 07:43
Fresh interview with Porcupine Tree, so nice to see them chatting. I just wonder why they didn't mentioned Colin Edwin at all.

Edited by yogev - April 15 2022 at 07:43
Zeph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2022 at 12:31
With the lack of information about Colin, I’m not surprised. There seems to be some disagreement between SW and CE, either in recent times or when PT last worked together. If the breakup was all good vibes, they would have said so, Colin declared a happy exit and wished them good luck. If it’s not, I wouldn’t expect them to elaborate on the matter, at least not in an interview like that.

He’s not in the current version of PT, and unless one of them (or someone who knows the situation) wants to talk about it, we won’t hear much.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2022 at 14:44
Originally posted by Zeph Zeph wrote:

With the lack of information about Colin, I’m not surprised. There seems to be some disagreement between SW and CE, either in recent times or when PT last worked together. If the breakup was all good vibes, they would have said so, Colin declared a happy exit and wished them good luck. If it’s not, I wouldn’t expect them to elaborate on the matter, at least not in an interview like that.

He’s not in the current version of PT, and unless one of them (or someone who knows the situation) wants to talk about it, we won’t hear much.

Well the above is a fan Q&A session, they are fielding questions from the fans so unless someone asks, and maybe they did it is not included. From other interviews with Gavin and Richard, I think both mentioned they were not ready for PT to end in 2010, it was 100% SW decision so I guess Colin was not very happy with it. So much that he may have cut ties with SW 100%. Other reason could be Covid with Colin, my guess is he was stuck in Australia and logistics played a big part.
Both Richard and Gavin seem more relaxed in this Q&A session, tensions may have subsided, at least with Richard. Gavin has a pretty good gig going with TPT where he may not be worried as much about the future of PT after this tour.....
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2022 at 00:53
Hi,

I don't dislike that interview at all ... however, I really think that it is afraid to discuss how things come together, although Richard gives us a taste of it, and Gavin kind of gives us an idea about what to do with his drumming, which sadly for me, is about COUNTING ... not about the specific feel of the moment, since ... just like your life with family ... one moment is a 4/4 another is a 5/4 another is a12/15 ... and on and on, without it ever having to come back to the same 4/4 as it is the same person. We would all think that person awfully boring if all reactions and words were in exactly the same tempo, which is my biggest rip about most drummers today ... great time keepers but very poor at interpreting the actual music and making it even better than just a song with the same beat ... not to mention the same hit on the snare drum which should be different many times during a lot of the material.

All in all, the suggestion that I get is that at least, for this coming album, there is some good interplay between three members and it might sound better because of it, but coming back to what is easier and simpler, might take it away from the creativity of it all ... but that's kind of the way I look at it. 

I don't think, for some reason, that it will be as good as the previous material, even though it will definitely be different. But, yeah, that might be a personal preference ... and thought ... that I did not specifically hear anything groundbreaking in their words about the new material at all. And that one sample around was total crap.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
yogev View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2022 at 02:22
^ I cerntenly don't think that drummers who doesn't use odd time signture are boring (if thats waht you were trying to say...). The most important thing for drummers is to serve the song, than trying to be more "intresting". 

And on another subject, In the interview Gavin said that sometimes people think that a certain song is very complex but it just 4/4. You can sound more complex by playing with the subdivision between the bars, which makes cool polyrhythm and stuff.

Watch this video, he analyses the song that Gavin mentioned in the interview (which by the way, isn't polyrhythm in this case).

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2022 at 07:51
Originally posted by yogev yogev wrote:

^ I certainly don't think that drummers who doesn't use odd time signature are boring (if that's what you were trying to say...). The most important thing for drummers is to serve the song, than trying to be more "interesting". 

Hi,

Strange how you counter yourself in the same moment. How can it be "more interesting", if it is THE SAME?

It can't. It has nothing to do with time signature, or counting ... has to do with how you hear the music in your ear and interpret it. He does it by figuring something out within his mathematical style, which is how he plays. In this way, for me, he is not the most interesting drummer at all ... he has his fans, but so what?

In "serve" the song, you probably mean to ensure that they can color the song in such a way that the drumming and timing IS NOT NECESSARILY VISIBLE, and by that I mean that the same hit on the stupid snare drum is always visible, and for a "tripper" that is a come down ... using the easiest and dumbest form of keeping track of the time. 

Some drummers could really learn something from Moon'ie and a couple of others ... his 4th (so to speak) could be a cymbal as easily as a snare, as easy as a Tom ... but saying that around here is like saying that the good book is trash. It's a good book, not exactly trash, but it's time and translations are now out of time and place! The same thing for poor musical drummers that rely on the math and the snare drum and have nothing else to show for it ... except the clowns, with 175 pieces around them and only 10 of them are ever used!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply