Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What does music do for you on an emotional level?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What does music do for you on an emotional level?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What does music do for you on an emotional level?
    Posted: August 31 2021 at 06:58
Simple question. For me, aside form the joy I get listening to music, I can also feel calm with softer melodic music of any type. When I'm angry, certain metal bands like Slipknot seem to exercise how I feel with me being able to throw off the anger or frustration. Some people have the opposite effect with calm music soothing anger and vice versa. How about you?
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2021 at 07:02
Bland soft music is sickening for me, so is mindless violent/loud music. I like simple tunes, if they are soulful or amusing. I also like sophisticated tunes, it they are not mindlessly chaotic.

Music is awesome!!! Life would be unpleasant without it.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2021 at 07:08
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

Bland soft music is sickening for me, so is mindless violent/loud music. I like simple tunes, if they are soulful or amusing. I also like sophisticated tunes, it they are not mindlessly chaotic.

Music is awesome!!! Life would be unpleasant without it.
Interesting. How about softer melodic passages found in prog rock? Still bland and boring?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2021 at 07:11
^ I don't take anything as "bland" for granted. There are loads of soft and simple passages/songs in prog that I find soulful or amusing, or vice versa.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2021 at 07:17
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

^ I don't take anything as "bland" for granted. There are loads of soft and simple passages/songs in prog that I find soulful or amusing, or vice versa.
Gotcha! I misunderstood your statement.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2021 at 08:03
Much of the loungey music that I like might seem bland to many, but I like some muzak in my music. What bland to one... It depends on what resonates, what one identifies with and the associations it makes in the psyche.

I commonly like to listen to music that fits and resonates with my mood. That can lead to a sense of euphoria or mild well-being.   If I'm feeling particularly depressed, then I often listen to melancholic music (think Nick Drake's "River Man", Robert Wyatt's "Sea Song") but also often brings me an element of joy and acceptance out of the sadness (think David Bowie's "Dollar Days"). I find beauty in those. If my mind feels like a maelstrom, I might like chaotic music, or at least chaotic and frenetic in part (e.g. "A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers"). If I'm feeling energetic or frustrated, then I might go to certian things by the Cardiacs. Standards like Art Zoyd for me work on a range of my emotions. If I'm feeling dead inside, I like that music can bring me a range of emotions. Something like the second movement of Beethoven's Seventh Symphony usually resonates. Albums, and even individual songs, of course, can take me through a range of moods, and while I don't always like the feelings I have (say a sense of desperation and alienation), ultimately I like to feel and find beauty in feeling.

I want music that I can accept with my emotions and I sort of feel accepts my emotional state. I don't use music specifically to throw off my emotions, but music that helps me better to contemplate them, accept them, sometimes moves through them into other emotions, and even find a sense of joy or serenity in the emotions. Affirmation is important, and I appreciate music that I feel affirms my states of being so that I can better accept and even appreciate those states.

This all could be so much better expressed.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2021 at 08:09
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I want music that I can accept with my emotions and I sort of feel accepts my emotional state. I don't use music specifically to throw off my emotions, but music that helps me better to contemplate them, accept them, sometimes moves through them into other emotions, and even find a sense of joy or serenity in the emotions. Affirmation is important, and I appreciate music that I feel affirms my states of being so that I can better accept and even appreciate those states.

I think this part was great, and resonated with me profoundly. Clap
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2021 at 08:15
^ Ahh, thanks so much for the affirmation, Ozgur. I really appreciate you being at this forum.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2021 at 08:18
It's very rare for me to directly relate the emotions in a piece of music to my own.  At times, mournful songs, especially about death, may break through if I happen to be grieving the loss of a near one right at that moment. But otherwise, I relate to music on an aesthetic and visceral level.  So if a singer or a musician renders a part magnificently, that gives me joy.  Likewise, I respond to the groove, intensity, dynamics, etc of the music, its pulse, so to speak.  But definitely, angry music doesn't make me angry.  I am usually laughing my ass off when I listen to Mustaine gritting his teeth on a Megadeth song in the sense of marvelling at how angry the music is.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2021 at 08:29

Much of the loungey music that I like might seem bland to many, but I like some muzak in my music. What bland to one... It depends on what resonates, what one identifies with and the associations it makes in the psyche.

I commonly like to listen to music that fits and resonates with my mood. That can lead to a sense of euphoria or mild well-being.   If I'm feeling particularly depressed, then I often listen to melancholic music (think Nick Drake's "River Man", Robert Wyatt's "Sea Song") but also often brings me an element of joy and acceptance out of the sadness (think David Bowie's "Dollar Days"). I find beauty in those. If my mind feels like a maelstrom, I might like chaotic music, or at least chaotic and frenetic in part (e.g. "A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers"). If I'm feeling energetic or frustrated, then I might go to certian things by the Cardiacs. Standards like Art Zoyd for me work on a range of my emotions. If I'm feeling dead inside, I like that music can bring me a range of emotions. Something like the second movement of Beethoven's Seventh Symphony usually resonates. Albums, and even individual songs, of course, can take me through a range of moods, and while I don't always like the feelings I have (say a sense of desperation and alienation), ultimately I like to feel and find beauty in feeling.

A fantastic post Greg! My feelings exactly, including your choice of music.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2021 at 08:34
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

It's very rare for me to directly relate the emotions in a piece of music to my own.  At times, mournful songs, especially about death, may break through if I happen to be grieving the loss of a near one right at that moment. But otherwise, I relate to music on an aesthetic and visceral level.  So if a singer or a musician renders a part magnificently, that gives me joy.  Likewise, I respond to the groove, intensity, dynamics, etc of the music, its pulse, so to speak.  But definitely, angry music doesn't make me angry.  I am usually laughing my ass off when I listen to Mustaine gritting his teeth on a Megadeth song in the sense of marvelling at how angry the music is.
I'm mostly in the aesthetic camp too, except for the times when my emotions overwhelm me. Then I listen for non aesthetic reasons or, sometimes, not at all. But that's rare.

Edited by SteveG - August 31 2021 at 08:35
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2021 at 09:45
I have two favorite styles of music: progressive and indie-folk/alt country.  I hate pop-country/western music.  I also tend to gravitate to anything that pushes the boundaries of any type of music or explores new musical ideas.  

There are times when emotions dictate what style I listen to at the time.  It's good to know sometimes that someone can express their feelings in music.  Music with a lot of emotion usually moves me one way or another, and music that explores opposite extremes also appeals to me.  

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2021 at 09:57
At times it moves my soul causing me to start bopping and dancing no matter where I am, much to the chagrin of any family member nearby.
For example I can't listen to Yes' Lightning Strikes or Almost Like Love without my body taking over. Is that an emotional response? Perhaps.

ELP's trilogy does the same sort of thing, the first three minutes harken back to a time when I was living on the other side of the country and living with my estranged girlfriend's family. A lonely and emotional time for me a young adult. So it brings back memories, but not so much the actual emotions. Then, after the three minute mark when all hell breaks loose, look out, this dancin' fool is released once more.

Speed Metal and some of the more extreme music (for lack of a better term) tend to make me tense up and clench my teeth a little.

I can't recall any music ever eliciting tears or even a lump in my throat, so it doesn't tap those emotions in me.

My emotional central control is more affected by spoken audio input.

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2021 at 11:41

I've been going through a loungey phase too during the late evenings. These are just some of the crooners and songstresses I've been listening to over the last couple of months:- Julie Andrews; Paul Anka; Burt Bacharach; Tony Bennett; Brook Benton; Carpenters; Vikki Carr; Perry Como; Ray Conniff; Percy Faith; Engelbert Humperdinck; Jack Jones; Nat King Cole; James Last; Michel Legrand; Henry Mancini; Dean Martin; Matt Monro; Frank Sinatra; Caterina Valente; & Andy Williams, to name just a few. They help me get to sleep at night. Smile

On the subject of David Bowie, I've just finished listening to his entire discography of 49 albums (including live albums), only to discover how depressing and disappointing his final Blackstar album is. Ouch
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2021 at 13:19
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

A fantastic post Greg! My feelings exactly, including your choice of music.

Thanks so very much Steve, very much appreciated. And I think this is a really terrific idea for a topic.

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I've been going through a loungey phase too during the late evenings. These are just some of the crooners and songstresses I've been listening to over the last couple of months:- Julie Andrews; Paul Anka; Burt Bacharach; Tony Bennett; Brook Benton; Carpenters; Vikki Carr; Perry Como; Ray Conniff; Percy Faith; Engelbert Humperdinck; Jack Jones; Nat King Cole; James Last; Michel Legrand; Henry Mancini; Dean Martin; Matt Monro; Frank Sinatra; Caterina Valente; & Andy Williams, to name just a few. They help me get to sleep at night. Smile

On the subject of David Bowie, I've just finished listening to his entire discography of 49 albums (including live albums), only to discover how depressing and disappointing his final Blackstar album is. Ouch

I love the Carpenters and some Bury Bacharach, but my loungey music tends to be more on the exotica and tropica side.   And I love people such as Serge Gainsbourg, and many art pop and jazzy loungey acts -- music mostly from the late 60s until now (quite a bit from the 90s when retro sounds were becoming quite popular). There's a fair amount of French loungey-pop stuff from the 60s that I like, and loungey instrumental music.

As for Bowie, depressing I can relate to quite well (he made that when dying of cancer and those themes come through very clearly), but disappointing is totally at odds with how I receive the album. I find it to be an incredibly poignant, and actually a life-affirming album. To me it's more bittersweet than depressing, if you get my meaning. I think that it's a triumph. I see strength in making it and addressing uncomfortable things (frailty, mortality), and it is my favourite album of modern times and may well be my favourite Bowie album (before that it was probably Hunky Dory, which I still love just as much). Words fail me in trying to express just how much that album spoke to me and has meant to me. I think it explores a variety of moods, is quite nostalgic, draws on and reflects on his different periods. It resonates with introspective me. It's an album that I can relate to and relate to my experiences. If it doesn't speak to you or speak to you the way you would like, that's fine too, of course. I adore Blackstar. What an album to go out on, I would say.

I'm reminded of your not like Robert Wyatt's Rock Bottom. In that case Wyatt was dealing with the trauma and paralysis from his accident, and again I see it as life-affirming and so poignant. The circumstances make the album all the more special to me, and generates an empathetic response in me. That said, I loved Rock Bottom before I even knew the history behind it.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2021 at 13:42
^ If you prefer the tropica & exotica side of lounge music, then I think you'll like Les Baxter & His Orchestra. I have more albums by Les Baxter than any other artist - 32 albums in total in four box sets of 8 albums each. 

Les Baxter - Taboo

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2021 at 14:12
The passion for the music itself is maybe the strongest emotion, and I still can get surprised by how strong it can become. It can be like falling in love really.
This is however probably not quite what the question is about.

I have used music, occasionally, for working with bad emotions, for bringing aggression out and also sadness. Twice, at the end of more or less long relationships, it was straight rhythmic music with some edge (Comsat Angels, Fehlfarben) that made me realise and really feel that life goes on, and also that I'm not only sad but also angry about how I was treated. When I was younger, Eloy could do that kind of thing. 

Some melodies work like magic for me and bring back memories, happy and sad, and get me close to those feelings, or make me feel more about something that hadn't touched me that consciously when it actually happened, but they can also raise hope... or desperation even if not connected to events in the past. A major example is Bjork's Joga that will always get me in and move me on levels that are different from just the enthusiasm for the music.

And then there is something quite different, music that makes my perception sharper and makes me more aware about everything, and that can get me in a meditative and even temporarily enlightened mood. Much of this music is rather experimental, some electronic. Tangerine Dream and Art Zoyd have stuff that can work like this, but much from it is from the Experimental and Avantgarde categories outside the PA range of music, including music based on sound experimentation, field recordings and the like. I may listen to field recordings at rather low volume and integrate everything there is actually to hear in the world, car noise, a dog barking, a couple in the neighbourhood shouting at each other, into a full overall sound experience. 

Today I was driving back with a friend from a trip and we saw some quite nice places from the car and had music such as Zoviet France and some Art Zoyd running that gave quite some spin on the overall atmosphere and made it all more intense than it would probably otherwise have been.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2021 at 14:16

I'm reminded of your not like Robert Wyatt's Rock Bottom. In that case Wyatt was dealing with the trauma and paralysis from his accident, and again I see it as life-affirming and so poignant. The circumstances make the album all the more special to me, and generates an empathetic response in me. That said, I loved Rock Bottom before I even knew the history behind it.

Interestingly I knew the story before getting the album, but the album itself, which I love a lot and to which I feel a strong emotional connection, never reminded me of that story. I thought of it maybe once or twice when listening more superficially, but when I listen to it with full awareness, the story is never there for me to be felt or thought of. Strange, eh?
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2021 at 14:38
Hi,

It's a hard thing for me to describe since I like so many different things and the next day I want something hard and different and the next something meditative and quiet. 

I don't think it is about my "moods" since I can pick up anything from my collection, and I can fly with it immediately regardless of the mood. I think it simply says that the feel I have for that particular album (or band) has stayed true all this time, and it continues in different albums -- something that we are not exactly on tune with, but might make for a good poll!

The only thing I know, is that at times something different will grab my ear, and this week it has been the missing chirping of the two blue robins that come around to grab the peanuts I leave for them. Pete always says hi (loud I might suggest!), but his other mate is quieter and likes to sneak up, grab the peanut and then fly. You can hear the wings flutter coming and then going with a peanut in their beaks!

Some story, or idea about the music is ... weird for me. I can appreciate a band or two telling me about their fictional trip, but in the end, the trip you can not "define" is the only one that attracts me and keeps me on it over and over again. Think about Echoes, Atom Heart Mother, Tales from Topographic Oceans and the like where your attempt to "define" it, ends up nowhere at all. If you take this route on the left ... no, wait, take this route on the right ... and I'm not sure that I want to meet TIRESIAS to make things even ore confusing ... how does that help?

Be it music, a painting or a novel ... is the same. It's about it giving me a visual film that never ends or stops ... with only one bad side ... seeing that on Picasso's Guernica is the worst horror movie ever! Nothing like the reality of a Civil War and what could be seen right outside the window by a child! 

Sometimes, not knowing about it is better. For example, in the film MAHLER (Ken Russell) the ending is really sad ... he had written a Symphony for his wife, and she still left him not caring about the music! As much as I loved some of the music in that piece ... the visual of it from the film hurts. I felt the same on ROSSETTI (also Ken Russell's early film) when seeing the last 30 minutes was sad ... really sad, and it took some of the sails out of the "pre-Raphaelites" for me.

But all in all, at 70 and getting older, any music that makes me fly within a few seconds is going to really have a lot of love and appreciation. The rest? Ciao baby, progressive or not!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2021 at 15:03
^^^^ Paul, I know some Les Baxter, including that track. I like it. Sven Libaek's Imner Space is one of my favourites of a certain kind of loungey ilk I like and Stringtronics with Mindbender. Roger Roger, who was with Mindbender, is one of my favourites of the "easy-listening" tropica variety. A have a fair amount of library music of that ilk in my collection

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Interestingly I knew the story before getting the album, but the album itself, which I love a lot and to which I feel a strong emotional connection, never reminded me of that story. I thought of it maybe once or twice when listening more superficially, but when I listen to it with full awareness, the story is never there for me to be felt or thought of. Strange, eh?

People make different connections and are wired differently. Art itself is so interpretive and each listener's experience will not be quite the same and not quite the same for the same person at different times. It's not something that I am as aware of when listening to Rock Bottom as with Bowie's condition when listening to Blackstar, nor can I say that it's always in mind when playing that stony behind. Knowing Wyatt's story just made the album all the more poignant to me whether I'm consciously, subconsciously or at all thinking about that when listening to the album or not, or if it's when I'm talking about it with others. Just thinking about it alone, or just discussing it, adds an air of poignancy to the album whether I'm listening to it or not. Often my greater appreciation of albums and emotional resonance can be linked to a story -- be it what I was doing when I heard it, if it's a soundtrack and I associate the music with the film or that it speaks to my story (including my experiences with those I know and care about) in some way as I perceive it. That said, just the name Rock Bottom alone would remind me of what happened.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>