Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Please recommend me sad 60s-70s songs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2021 at 09:49
Originally posted by FloydianPinkRose FloydianPinkRose wrote:

ABBA has held the place of “my all time old favorites” since I started listening to music. The song, THE WAY OLD FRIENDS DO, evokes strong feelings in me and makes me cry, when I think of times in my past when anger created rifts between people I knew, but they made up because they WERE old friends. So it’s both sad and encouraging. I feel that today, regardless of country, government or issues, we can face it together, the way old friends do. And even this virus which affects us all, so many positive things have come out of it despite the horrors. It makes me smile. 😃 Another thing that makes me smile is coming here, to enjoy great Prog and the words of those who truly enjoy it. And of course, the words of Psychedelic Paul, since I am his number one fan!

Thank You for your kind words as always. It's lovely to see you again after our recent Communication Breakdown which was a real Heartbreaker. I was left feeling Dazed and Confused after being out of contact with you for a whole week, but it was probably Nobody's Fault But Mine. I know we've been through Good Times Bad Times together, with the good times being when we're together and bad times when we're apart. I'm back on the Stairway to Heaven with you again and I can say goodbye to the Black Dog depression of last week. 

I've been following the news about the devastating trail left behind by Hurricane Ida and I was  worried about you Over the Hills and Far Away across The Ocean on the Gulf Coast of the USA. I've  seen what can happen When the Levee Breaks after witnessing the catastrophic flooding of New Orleans back in 2005, when some residents were almost Trampled Under Foot in the rush to escape the city. 

I've chosen the Rock and Roll songs of Led Zeppelin instead of ABBA for this reply, but The Song Remains the Same - it's only the message that's changed.  Anyway, sorry to Ramble On. I'll be thinking of you again In the Evening  and wishing you a Whole Lotta Love for Evermore................. Paul Heart

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - September 17 2021 at 09:53
FloydianPinkRose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FloydianPinkRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2021 at 10:49
Oh, isn’t that nice!! Thank you so much PsychedelicPaul! Led Zeppelin, is a Prog all time favorite to be sure!! And as there are a lot of Prog fans here, all with “all time favorites” I’m going to attempt to share something I think we all can enjoy. A while back someone came up with words, that if you added “Prog” to it, you had a double meaning. Ie pragmatic vs Progmatic. Perhaps taking a well thought out approach to listening to Prog music. This is a Progthora vs a plethora. A Progthora of the best of Prog music. (Hope it uploads ok. This will be my first attempt. (Drumroll please). .
(I love the image with all the Prog album art, so colorful!)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FloydianPinkRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2021 at 11:24
Oooooops.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FloydianPinkRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2021 at 12:22
. Try number 2, for The Best of Progressive Rock playlist number 5. On YouTube. 🙏
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2021 at 10:12
I guess we are not limiting to prog songs. I would go with either of these.

ProfPanglos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProfPanglos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2021 at 11:21
Cat Stevens, already mentioned, had a great sad song on "Back To Earth" called "Last Love Song."

DIGNITAS - FIRMITAS - GRAVITAS - COMITAS - LIBERTAS
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2021 at 11:34
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Hugh Manatee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2021 at 21:45
The Monkees - As We Go Along (New 2020 Mix) - YouTube

Featuring guitars by Neil Young and Ry Cooder.
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2021 at 21:57
Which reminds me of this:

Lyrically one of the saddest songs ever written.

"Long afloat on shipless oceans
I did all my best to smile"
Drumstruck View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumstruck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2021 at 03:21
I love the sadness in Melanie's voice - so many great songs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__z8av6wvew

Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2021 at 08:32
This, basically:

Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2021 at 05:20
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2021 at 05:24
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2021 at 04:41
^ a friend (or should that be 'friend') once suggested that song applied to me Unhappy
Jacob Schoolcraft View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2021 at 09:13
A very sad song from 1979 is by Rickie Lee Jones and it's titled "Saturday Afternoons In 1963". She became a huge success as a singer songwriter, but I sware to you...this was a strange song. The piano part is odd and melancholy. The words are not designed to be catchy like many Pop ballads seem to be. The strings are beautiful, it's a short song and it's unusual to me that she wrote it. It's an oddball track from a very successful Pop album in the 70s. ( to me). Without the lyrics...just the composition itself brings back beautiful memories of people I knew who died young and the song has made me feel a very deep sadness or a love for those who I lost in my life. The song also brings back memories of my childhood. Damn! It's a strange song to me! I am not a fan of her music, but that song is heartbreaking in a poetic and artistic way

Edited by Jacob Schoolcraft - December 28 2021 at 09:18
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2021 at 10:41
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

This, basically:

Nice lp....I need to play my cd copy again....I had a chance about a month ago to buy an original vinyl for $150,,,should have done it. I think the guy still has it...maybe after New Year.  ;)
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2021 at 10:43
Our OP is long gone but this whole lp is melancholy and has that Caravan/Magic Man vibe to me..one of my favorites.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2022 at 15:17
Elbow : Weightless from Giants of all sizes ( absolutely moving)
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2022 at 15:29
Originally posted by mellotronwave mellotronwave wrote:

Elbow : Weightless from Giants of all sizes ( absolutely moving)

can you post videos or at least a link? 
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2022 at 15:42
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIHV5gm5FEA

here you are
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>