Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Progressive Movie Scores

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: Who do you like the most?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [12.82%]
2 [5.13%]
1 [2.56%]
1 [2.56%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [7.69%]
9 [23.08%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [5.13%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [5.13%]
3 [7.69%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.56%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.56%]
4 [10.26%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.56%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [7.69%]
1 [2.56%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2021 at 01:00
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Most of the time I wish the music on these albums was put to much better use. Very few directors of cult/horror etc.. from the 1960's-1970's (and early 80's) seemed to have a clue in how to use all this fantastic music that was made for them. And most of the time the score was a far superior work/product on its own, than the actual film. But listening to the soundtracks for some of my favorite movies, like Nosferatu, Aguirre - the largely unused music on them, gets a life on its own. And I remember the feel of Herzogs movies through them - not the other way around.

Hi,
It's specially hard to compare some of these, with the really great ones like Maurice Jarre, and a couple of others who did some magnificent work all around. The better issue is that David Lean was not afraid of the music and in at least one film made sure that the music was one of the most important parts.

The other one I like, but it will hardly get a mention here, is Bernard Herrmann, whose soundtracks for some sci-fi films were super and really far out, despite some of them being really off kilter and strange in terms of the conducting and the instrument definition. And he did this even more on Hitchcock films, although Hitchcock was probably tone death since he never used the music properly at all, and I think it is one of his worst bits in directing. I imagine that someone that did the cutting was the one that found a way to use the music, or at least Mr. Herrmann adjusted a piece to fit the part in the film. In general, I find Mr. Herrmann not that great in Hitchcock, but maybe I need to listen to some more soundtracks from him. But I love his sci-fi soundtracks and it is a bunch of albums worth getting.

Chariots of Fire probably does what it's supposed to perfectly, but as I haven't seen the movie it sounds like music composed for the Olympic games opening ceremony or something like that (at least about 2/3ds of it).

I'm guessing that Vangelis found the shot about the chairs and that it was going to get cut up as not worth anything until he probably said ... wait ... save that until tomorrow! And he came up with the sound bits for it, that made it seem even better in the film. Regardless of the music, it is a good film with some very nice performances and worth the merits that it got. 

One strange note. Using music in film seems to be almost a standard thing for American and English film, although the French have tried (Tous Les Matins du Monde/Un Coeur en Hiver and many others about music), but I am not sure that the French did it as well. Italy is weird, specially as it is such a mecca of great music and an inspiration for so many bands that are very classically minded, but their film? Lucky to find one that has great stuff, although GOBLIN did well, but sadly, these are very good on the album, but not used as much in the films themselves. I would like to see a well done film with GOBLIN music ... but not sure it will be done in Italy where music in film seems to be incidental. Germany kinda starts and ends with Werner Herzog, and Popol Vuh, and the funny note that was given about Werner in his early days, when Florian had piled up many pieces of music in his closet and seems he told Werner to have at it ... and the following week, Werner comes running ... look ... I GOT A FILM! and he did a bunch of them in the early days with Popol Vuh's music! (There is nowhere any information about Florian ever putting together music for Werner at all! Which suggests that Werner used the visual ideas from the music to create a lot of his films, and the ending sequence in AGUIRRE, is the perfect example!).

Some Chinese films have used music well. Some Japanese films haven't at all, although a film or two always shows up with good music.

The only odd thing for me is considering these "progressive" ... since they really have nothing in common with the definition of the term, in my book, and in most cases the music was used simply to enhance the film, and I wonder how much of it is an actual part of the film, unless we are talking Ken Russell, and his use of music in so many films is out of this world and fantastic in many cases!

I read a quote somewhere that Hitchcock in the 60's asked Bernard Hermann to write something catchy. Soon after Bernard quit so I suspect you're right that Hitchcock was tone deaf. In this poll surely Vangelis wins. The music to Blade Runner is ground breaking, much better than the work he did in Chariots of Fire.
Guy Guden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guy Guden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2021 at 03:58
so Pink Floyd are outside of this one?  MORE (my favourite), LA VALEE, ZABRISKIE POINT.  personally, I would suggest Colin Towns for FULL CIRCLE/THE HAUNTING OF JULIA.  there are far too many films with great soundtracks, whether by progressive or avant-garde artists, or classical or jazz musicians who would experiment.  Bernard Herrmann is indeed great... THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL, JASON & THE ARGONAUTS, JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH, FAHRENHEIT 451 are the seeds of progressive music.  I wouldn't have created SPACE PIRATE RADIO if I hadn't heard Bebe & Louis Barron's first, all electronic score for FORBIDDEN PLANET as a child in 1956.  thank you, everyone.
https://twitch.tv/guygudenspacepirateradio
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2021 at 05:54
Originally posted by Guy Guden Guy Guden wrote:

so Pink Floyd are outside of this one?  MORE (my favourite), LA VALEE, ZABRISKIE POINT. 
I lika a song here and a tune there, but as full albums/scores I don't really enjoy any of them all that much. At least not as much as anything I actually included in the poll.

personally, I would suggest Colin Towns for FULL CIRCLE/THE HAUNTING OF JULIA.
One of my absolute favorite soundtracks, but this time I decided to include only PA-artists (one could argue Colin Towns should be in the PA-index based on Full Circle - but he isn't).

Edited by Saperlipopette! - September 19 2021 at 05:56
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2021 at 06:00
I've seen half of these films, but I don't have the soundtracks present in my head. I'm not really a soundtrack listener, because often the film is lacking and without the film I generally don't enjoy the music as much as with the film. From the ones I know I'll go for Popol Vuh's Nosferatu (because it's a silent film? I'm asking myself...).

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2021 at 06:15
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

From the ones I know I'll go for Popol Vuh's Nosferatu (because it's a silent film? I'm asking myself...).
Herzog's Nosferatu is not a silent film no.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2021 at 06:29
Oh dammit, where does that short-circuit come from? Pavlov? When I see "Nosferatu", I think "Murnau"... (and I even have seen that Herzog film...!)
Still, I think it is one of Popol Vuh's soundtracks that stands alone quite well.

Edit: It's a funny thing, and I'm more explaining it to myself than something else: I saw Herzog's film a long time ago (during my film studies late 80s, early 90s) and it didn't leave the same impression as Murnau's Nosferatu, which I've seen several times (up till rather recently), and several times with live accompaniment (not Popol Vuh, though). I started listening Popol Vuh's music only in the noughties, without the films, so - strangely - I associate this soundtrack more with Murnau's film than with Herzog's...

Edited by suitkees - September 19 2021 at 06:52

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2021 at 09:43

so Pink Floyd are outside of this one?  MORE (my favourite), LA VALEE, ZABRISKIE POINT.  personally, I would suggest Colin Towns for FULL CIRCLE/THE HAUNTING OF JULIA.  there are far too many films with great soundtracks, whether by progressive or avant-garde artists, or classical or jazz musicians who would experiment.  Bernard Herrmann is indeed great... THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL, JASON & THE ARGONAUTS, JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH, FAHRENHEIT 451 are the seeds of progressive music.  I wouldn't have created SPACE PIRATE RADIO if I hadn't heard Bebe & Louis Barron's first, all electronic score for FORBIDDEN PLANET as a child in 1956.  thank you, everyone.

Hi,

Nice .. superlative!

I was going to add another bit on the early electronic soundtracks, which would be considered "progressive" a lot more than some material mentioned. And yes, Guy was the person that helped me appreciate so much of this stuff way back when, and his show just drowned (literally!) on soundtracks of all kinds! 

PF's MORE soundtrack is not appreciated for HOW it is used in the film, instead of having it all over as a normal film would have, and I think this is one of the things that most folks dislike about the music and its use. It doesn't sound as "good", but it makes the film more "real" and way better than we give it credit for. LA VALLEE is very wonderful to watch, although it is my thought that too much of the film is missing to help create a better story and use for the music. I have a feeling that it was meant to be just a "trip" film, with little story, but the studio thought that a story had to be there. Based on Barbet's take on the first film, a story was not necessarily needed, and it almost could be considered a documentary, which I think would have made LA VALLEE way better. ZABRISKIE POINT is nice, but I think that the stories about Antonioni, hurt and I think the studio added a story to what would likely not be a story, but just a life with some dope in it, and its enjoyment. Some of the music in it is very nice, aside from PF, but the film really hurts from its cuts and changes I think.

Nice to see you posting ... your talent and knowledge for these things is second to none!

PS/Sidenote:
Remember that in those days it was very cool and far out to experiment and improvise in most theater and a lot of films. The actors in LA VALLEE were almost all of them a part of English or French Theater, thus it is easier to think that some things are missing, and the film seems broken up in parts until they can assemble a "story" at a time when "story" was not as important in theater and film with all the experimentations.

Edited by moshkito - September 20 2021 at 11:24
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2021 at 10:22
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Regarding the OPs earlier comment on Alain Goraguer's La Planète Sauvage, had that been included then I probably would have voted for it.

A fabulous score, indeed.

I think it was Moroder's Midnight Ecxpress and Doldinger's Das Boot soundtracks that started me on collecting.  Mentioned by the OP, but I love Morricone  Of the more Hollywood type names, I love Jerry Goldsmith (the Logan's Run soundtrack is awesome to me) and John Barry soundtracks .  I love lots of Zbigniew Preisner and Michael Nyman.  And I like lots of John Carpenter ones.

Midnight Express was one of my earliest (cassette) soundtrack purchases, too. Then I got Moroder's The Cat People and was really wowed.

A mention for Goldsmith's electronic score for Runaway: superb.

I love the Cat People remake and the soundtrack (probably my third to get, and fourth was The Hunger soundtrack by various -- that was a disappointing purchase as it didn't have the full soundtrack -- was my first CD to purchase -- the Blade Runner soundtrack was also an early acquisition of mine, but I don't like the soundtrack or the film as much as I did in the 80s). I saw Runaway when it came out in the cinema, unlike Paul, I don't think it's a great film, quite fun, but I do like the soundtrack.   Mind you, I have only seen it once since it came out. Goldsmith also scored what might have been my fist watch on the family's VCR, which is Outland (it was either that or Midnight Express, think I saw both on the same night). 
Just a fanboy passin' through.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2021 at 11:06

From the ones I know I'll go for Popol Vuh's Nosferatu (because it's a silent film? I'm asking myself...).

Herzog's film's full title is Nosferatu the Vampyre.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2021 at 11:17

Full Circle aka THoJ is splendid. Too bad it's painfully OOP.

Speaking of forbidden planets, the Roger Corman-produced 1982 horror SF gem Forbidden World (aka Mutant) has a vibrant electronic rock score by Susan Justin.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2021 at 13:43

Sure, but it's not the title of any of Popol Vuh's scores/albums
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2021 at 14:28

It's right on the cover. Herzog's title distinguishes it from the 1922 silent film.

2004 SPV remaster:

2018 BMG vinyl reissue:

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2021 at 14:34

Midnight Express was one of my earliest (cassette) soundtrack purchases, too. Then I got Moroder's The Cat People and was really wowed.

A mention for Goldsmith's electronic score for Runaway: superb.

I love the Cat People remake and the soundtrack (probably my third to get, and fourth was The Hunger soundtrack by various -- that was a disappointing purchase as it didn't have the full soundtrack -- was my first CD to purchase -- the Blade Runner soundtrack was also an early acquisition of mine, but I don't like the soundtrack or the film as much as I did in the 80s). I saw Runaway when it came out in the cinema, unlike Paul, I don't think it's a great film, quite fun, but I do like the soundtrack.   Mind you, I have only seen it once since it came out. Goldsmith also scored what might have been my fist watch on the family's VCR, which is Outland (it was either that or Midnight Express, think I saw both on the same night).

Haha! Same reaction here. I pick up The Hunger and look at the titles. Half the album is classical from the film. Needs more of Michel Rubini's & Denny Jaeger's atmospheric electronic score! I bought it, anyway. Back then, I bought any electronic score that got published. LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2021 at 01:26

It's right on the cover. Herzog's title distinguishes it from the 1922 silent film.

2004 SPV remaster:

2018 BMG vinyl reissue:

But those are both compilations of the two original releases originally titled:
Nosferatu: Brüder des Schattens - Söhne des Lichts
Nosferatu (On the Way to a Little Way)

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2021 at 04:26
Keith Emerson - Inferno

Its a bit of a split album which might put a few off. You have the prog stuff like Mater Tenebrarum , Cigs, Ices etc and Tax Ride (through Rome) which is Emerson at his frenetic best. Then you have the traditional horror score approach (orchestration + piano) for the rest which, in my opinion, Emerson elevates. Love it all but like a lot of movie scores its disjointed and perhaps his next one Nighthawks was a bit more cohesive.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2021 at 11:16

The "compilation" (by default) makes the "movie score," even if the film doesn't actually use all of the music on either album (the album that became On the Way to a Little Way was recorded before Nosferatu the Vampyre and not intended for use as a film score till Herzog learned of it).
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2021 at 11:20
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Keith Emerson - Inferno

Its a bit of a split album which might put a few off. You have the prog stuff like Mater Tenebrarum , Cigs, Ices etc and Tax Ride (through Rome) which is Emerson at his frenetic best. Then you have the traditional horror score approach (orchestration + piano) for the rest which, in my opinion, Emerson elevates. Love it all but like a lot of movie scores its disjointed and perhaps his next one Nighthawks was a bit more cohesive.

Inferno is fantastic. The piano theme is immense. I definitely prefer it to Nighthawks.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2021 at 04:54

The "compilation" (by default) makes the "movie score," even if the film doesn't actually use all of the music on either album (the album that became On the Way to a Little Way was recorded before Nosferatu the Vampyre and not intended for use as a film score till Herzog learned of it).
As with most of Popol Vuh's "scores" (recorded before, I mean). This compilation compiles those two original albums. The first one a few songs short, the second identically. None of them are closer to representing the movie than the two original releases.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123