1 [1.47%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.47%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2021 at 12:00
Thank you for the thoughts, George!  Great synopses!Clap
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2021 at 12:13
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Thanks for the comments.  Here is another interesting fact about Ben Spees that you might be interested in.  He helped out with another album from a band I brought into the archives last year...Cryptic Ruse, which is in Progressive Metal, but is a one-man project also experimenting in microtones.  Ben Spees does guest vocals on 3 of the tracks (the others are instrumental).  I know you are not a big fan of prog metal, but I really think you would like this one as it's in the same wheel house (you do have a house for wheels, right?).

Here's the bandcamp link:  UNFERTILE | Cryptic Ruse (bandcamp.com)

Yes, I have listened to that album and really enjoyed it. It's in my list of "things to buy." Also his work with Nick Prol too!
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2021 at 12:53
My nomination from the two I offered will be Artús - Faust.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2021 at 13:14
The people who judged my submissions clearly preferred Monsieur de Mieulle, so I will be nominating his song "Discoteak".
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2021 at 14:58
I am going to go with Charlie Cawood "Flicker Out Of Being," ft. Marjana Semkina
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2021 at 17:59
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

I am going to go with Charlie Cawood "Flicker Out Of Being," ft. Marjana Semkina

Atmospheric song with beautiful guitar arpeggio accompanied, in the beginning, by the piano and the celestial female voice of Marjana Semkina. Then the keyaboards and the violin arrives. It seems to me that all or most of the instruments play the same musical scale, creating a synergistic and repetitive effect that replaces the percussion. We move in the realm of pure sensations, and even the impressionist video underlines this intent. There is however a progression in the singing after half of the song, which concludes the piece thanks to the final nuanced instrumental. Very beautiful, very feminine and delicate, very refined arrangement. Contender.
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2021 at 18:03
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

Atmospheric song with beautiful guitar arpeggio accompanied, in the beginning, by the piano and the celestial female voice of Marjana Semkina. Then the keyaboards and the violin arrives. It seems to me that all or most of the instruments play the same musical scale, creating a synergistic and repetitive effect that replaces the percussion. We move in the realm of pure sensations, and even the impressionist video underlines this intent. There is however a progression in the singing after half of the song, which concludes the piece thanks to the final nuanced instrumental. Very beautiful, very feminine and delicate, very refined arrangement. Contender.

Thank you for your, as always, deep and thoughtful comments.Hug
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2021 at 18:06
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

My nomination from the two I offered will be Artús - Faust.

Folk (Celtic?) and dissonant music thanks to the sound of violins and percussion. Hallucinated singing, which reminds me that of Comus' First Utterance. There is a sick, anguished pastoral atmosphere that licks heavy metal sounds towards the middle of the song. Prodigious arrangements and instrumental progression of the second half add to the scary aspect of the song. At the tenth minute the melody returns with the violins. It's a pity that singing doesn't come back too. In any case, a masterpiece. 

Artùs: I sign this name.
Strong contender.

Edited by jamesbaldwin - September 29 2021 at 18:13
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2021 at 18:11
Originally posted by Mirakaze Mirakaze wrote:

The people who judged my submissions clearly preferred Monsieur de Mieulle, so I will be nominating his song "Discoteak".

Discoteak is an instrumental piece based on keyboards (synths?) and electronic percussion, with math rock movements that slow down towards the middle, when more experimental sounds arrive that produce a dialogue between two electronic keyboards. Very well done piece but the competition is cruel.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2021 at 18:22
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Experimental Quartet “Spre univers” - final nomination Smile

Very bulky drums for a song dominated by a "Manzarek-style" organ and a chant a la Ian Atsbury. Interesting how for most of the piece they are the drums and the percussion that do the solos, then comes the electric guitar. It is a pity that in the ending when the initial melody returns, the singing does not return, however the ending in crescendo is interesting. Group dominated by percussions, in fact this is a danceable prog piece. Contender.

Edited by jamesbaldwin - September 30 2021 at 08:32
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2021 at 18:29
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Lots of work and other stuff going on this week, but I can't stop myself from posting something here the moment I see this poll... maybe one more later...
.O.rang is a project of Harris and Webb after the end of the great Talk Talk, and they prove that there was more creative force than just Mark Hollis behind them. Love this. 12 ratings this album, 15 for the band overall.
.O.rang - Mind on Pleasure

As a fan of Talk Talk I already knew this piece, which stands out above all for its polyrhythm and sound experimentation. O. Rang's first record is beautiful. The piece slows down towards the middle, the music becomes unpredictable, were it not for the drums, but the other instruments also work in a percussive way, and it is also very welcome that hint of singing. Final reminiscent of Talk Talk. Excellent piece, a small masterpiece. Contender.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2021 at 07:26
It's hard for me to decide which of my submissions to pick since I love them both a lot.  But since I have done Fovea Hex in the past, I'll go with The Mercury Tree - "Disremembered"

Edited by TCat - September 30 2021 at 07:27

Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2021 at 08:14

Originally posted by Ronstein Ronstein wrote:

Advent

Video removed for space

Hello Ronstein, if you wish, you can actually present 2, then select which of them you would like to nominate for voting, I'll be asking for those to be in no later than Friday morning, when I open the poll voting.  I will post a reminder tomorrow morning for everyone to start making their final selection.  

Thanks. My second offering is:

William D Drake - Distant Buzzing

My nomination will be Advent as they're the more unsung/unknown.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2021 at 08:37
^ Awesome, I was very tempted to do a William D. Drake one myself, but did two polls including him recently. I think he really "deserves"* more ratings than his albums get in PA.

* a controversial and arguable concept, but I said it anyway.
Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2021 at 08:52
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^ Awesome, I was very tempted to do a William D. Drake one myself, but did two polls including him recently. I think he really "deserves"* more ratings than his albums get in PA.

Couldn't agree more! North Sea Radio Orchestra are also a joy.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2021 at 08:55
Originally posted by Ronstein Ronstein wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Couldn't agree more! North Sea Radio Orchestra are also a joy.

Absolutely.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2021 at 09:25
William D. Drake and the North Sea Radio Orchestra are great indeed but seem to be better known around here than their ratings numbers suggest, same with .O.rang apparently. Can't stop myself from mentioning that I'm still the only one who has reviewed that William D. Drake album. Wink

Edited by Lewian - September 30 2021 at 17:35
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2021 at 10:57
^ Although you've already reviewed it, I might add a second review to Briny Hooves at some time, which is the one of his that I have most listened to -- and I still think the Robert "You look different every time you come from the foam crested brine" Wyatt comparisons are valid, not that you were the one questioning it in the Seahorse vs. Sea Song poll. *Drop it, Greg, just drop it.*
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2021 at 17:30
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

It's hard for me to decide which of my submissions to pick since I love them both a lot.  But since I have done Fovea Hex in the past, I'll go with The Mercury Tree - "Disremembered"

A very elaborate seven-minute song with an acoustic beginning that then becomes hard rock. The best part is the central one with an acoustic ethnic arpeggio accompanied by shouted singing. Then the music makes an emphatic pause (too long) and finally restarts with the same initial rhythm but made (great intuition) distorted and dissonant. There is a certain technical and virtuosic complacency that slightly spoils the immediacy of the inspiration, but we are still close to the masterpiece- Contender
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2021 at 17:30
Thoughts on Ronstein's addition:

Ronstein:  William D. Drake “Distant Buzzing”  begins with a sort of comic feel, like a 1930’s cartoon circus.  Love the Boston Terrier in the tutu, but I am not really contemplating the video, per se).  A giddy sort of feel, full band with whirling keys and a lead guitar popping in, along with the circus-y portion interspersed with  vocals.  Flute comes along with a quasi-Middle Eastern snake charmer solo.  They are certainly very energetic.  Very abrupt ending.  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>