Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

kansas ( point of no return live and beyond )

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: kansas ( point of no return live and beyond )
    Posted: September 20 2021 at 12:18
An exceptional release featuring the entire album and extra songs from other albums ronnie platt is a great singer not as steve walsh but ronnie can definately hit the high notes.veterans phil ehart and rich williams keep the original songs in check , while david ragsdale provides awesome violin playing The best track is the opener Cold grey morning ,the least favorite was Talking in the view from the album power for me maybe others like but me being a big steve walsh fan did not meet my expectations the Closet chronicles was in my opinion was awesome, lonely wind also from the first album was great it,s not two for the show but close the new kansas is just like home to me now.4 out of 5 stars

Edited by grantman - September 28 2021 at 09:44
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2021 at 00:15
Exceptionally nice Vinyl package Thumbs Up
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2021 at 14:17
I love Kansas. Kansas is Prog. Saw them on this tour and it was incredible!!! I saw them a ton in the seventies and they are even better live now.
The Prog Corner
Pelata View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pelata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2021 at 09:06
I'll be the voice of dissension. "Kansas" since Walsh left is just not Kansas.

None of the original members left in the band were writing contributors, however I do recognize that their styles are a contributing factor to the Kansas sound.

Kansas, IMO, has become like Journey or Queesryche. They have singers who can hit the notes, but there's no intensity or feel in it. They're just hitting the notes and for me, that's not enough.

Walsh had undoubtedly deteriorated over time. But I'll take him in his current state over Ronnie Platt (to whom I mean no disrespect) because, even in his aged state, he still has the Kansas vibe in his delivery.

This current incarnation of the band going out and playing full-album shows of material they did not write makes them, IMO, a tribute band.
grantman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2021 at 11:13
rich williams and phil ehart are original members of kansas,
PhideauxFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhideauxFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2021 at 01:05
I woul say "good but not essential" if I compare it to Two For The Show.

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2021 at 01:29
Originally posted by PhideauxFan PhideauxFan wrote:

you could compare it, but why? 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhideauxFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2021 at 01:55
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

It's simple: for me, Two For The Show is the top of Kansas live, and the new album is just "good".

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2021 at 02:05

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

It's simple: for me, Two For The Show is the top of Kansas live, and the new album is just "good".

that does not answer my question LOL
Why compare Kansas in their prime to today's Kansas, different line up, just two original members remained if I remember right. Obviously young, better said classic Kansas is gonna be better... 

Edited by Cristi - September 28 2021 at 02:06
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhideauxFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2021 at 02:50
What is obvious for me is that musicians who are 60-70 don't record their best albums nowadays in the fields of progressive music, hard-rock/heavy-metal and classic rock.

Edited by PhideauxFan - September 28 2021 at 02:51
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2021 at 03:02

What is obvious for me is that musicians who are 60-70 don't record their best albums nowadays in the fields of progressive music, hard-rock/heavy-metal and classic rock.

true, with some exceptions, and Kansas is one of them, their last two albums were quite good if you ask me. 
Also artists like Glenn Hughes, Uriah Heep, UFO, Deep Purple, Kraan, Rush have made good music in their later days. 
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2021 at 04:06

Roine Stolt does.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2021 at 06:17
Kansas , compared to many old bands still going  ie Yes **Cough** , are actually quite close to what they were. The energy and punch is there but we all like to nitpick I suppose.
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2021 at 21:10
I enjoy the classic years of Kansas with Steve Walsh. But I have no use for the other albums with other singers, because they completely miss the mark. Kansas only works with Steve's voice, pure and simple. It's a connection stronger than most bands and their singers.

It's dumb when bands try to continue on when they definitely shouldn't be. In this case an original drummer and guitarist aren't enough to hold / sustain the sound that again used a voice on par with the other instruments. This is a tribute band at best, so they should hang it up or use a different name.

Edited by Boojieboy - September 28 2021 at 21:14
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2021 at 23:51
^ respectfully disagree. The recent albums have been enjoyable and have the professional standards I look for. No disrespect to Steve Walsh who is a prog god but I'm happy for them to continue. Each to his or her own.
Pelata View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pelata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2021 at 19:46
Originally posted by grantman grantman wrote:

rich williams and phil ehart are original members of kansas,

I am well aware of that. But they were not songwriters. Livgren and Walsh were the songwriters. Granted, Williams' and Ehart's styles helped shape the overall sound of the band, they were not contributing writers of the songs they are going around playing with 4 other people.

And I know Greer has been in the band for 35+ years.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2021 at 02:27
Well if Steve Walsh and Kerry Livgren are no longer interested then I don't see why the surviving members can't carry on. This is an age old argument for so many classic bands that have one or sometimes no surviving original members. How many versions of Wishbone Ash are there?! LOL 

Edited by richardh - October 02 2021 at 02:27
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2021 at 03:33
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Well if Steve Walsh and Kerry Livgren are no longer interested then I don't see why the surviving members can't carry on. This is an age old argument for so many classic bands that have one or sometimes no surviving original members. How many versions of Wishbone Ash are there?! LOL 

It's not that Steve Walsh is no longer interested, but poor guy can't sing anymore, his vocals have terribly deteriorated. 

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2021 at 02:20
^ Are you sure about this?. Black Butterfly (2017) is a good album and his vocals are okay there although its a few years old now. My favourite Kansas album is Somewhere To Elsewhere and his vocals had certainly deteriorated but he was able to still perform the old stuff ( I saw the play live around about that time) . 
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2021 at 02:27
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

^ Are you sure about this?. Black Butterfly (2017) is a good album and his vocals are okay there although its a few years old now. My favourite Kansas album is Somewhere To Elsewhere and his vocals had certainly deteriorated but he was able to still perform the old stuff ( I saw the play live around about that time) . 

I haven't listened to Black Butterfly, but I did listen to two of his albums in the 2000s and he was struggling on both IMO. That Kansas album you mention, too. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>