6 [30.00%]
3 [15.00%]
7 [35.00%]
2 [10.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kosmische Musik VI
    Posted: September 20 2021 at 18:50
For me it's between the bottom two. Both have Gottsching and Schulze on them.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2021 at 19:10
Throws a dart at the poll and it'll pick a winner with me. I have all and like all very much. Great choices. This may seem a little rash, but I'm going with Embryo's Rache.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2021 at 19:21
Brainticket.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2021 at 21:22
Ash Ra's debut is one of my favorites of this style. Thumbs Up
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2021 at 00:19
This was more difficult. The first of these polls where all five are among my favorites - relatively speaking. But if I'm being totally honest, it's The Can once again. Just a little ahead of Ash Ra Tempel and Embryo's coziest album. Love that Cosmic Jokers album too - and Celestial Ocean is a solid four star as well:

Monster Movie
Ash Ra Tempel
Embryo's Rache
The Cosmic Jokers
Celestial Ocean
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2021 at 03:55
Ashra Tempel- Ashra Tempel
Neu!mann View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neu!mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2021 at 09:38
Have to go with the Jokers here...the aura of mystery and scandal around their first album is just too compelling, and the music itself is more kosmische than even the Ash Ra tempel debut.
"we can change the world without anyone noticing the difference" - Franco Falsini
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2021 at 10:31
hard to pick only one, great poll John!!

voted Embryo closely followed by Ashra Tempel
rik wilson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rik wilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2021 at 14:41
I went with Can. Monster Movie is my favorite Can release.
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2021 at 17:27
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Throws a dart at the poll and it'll pick a winner with me. I have all and like all very much. Great choices. This may seem a little rash, but I'm going with Embryo's Rache.

Yes that was rash! Hey I like the picture of the band in the liner notes. So a trio at this point of Hofmann, Fischer and Burchard but the photo includes Jimmy Jackson listed as a guest. They called him Tabarin Man and the two live bonus tracks from 1991 are both called Tabarinman's Return part 1 & 2.

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2021 at 17:31
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Brainticket.

Everyone has a vote! How about that opener Egyptian Kings, so good. Led by Joel Vandroogenbroek born in Belgium but this is a Swiss based band.
The label my cd is on is called Buy or Die Records with a picture of a gun pointed at the viewer with the finger on the trigger. Hmmm

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2021 at 17:34
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Ash Ra's debut is one of my favorites of this style. Thumbs Up

Yes it wasn't an easy choice but I went with Ash Ra Tempel too. That Cosmic Jokers debut like Guru Guru's debut or some of the early Gila just hits the spot for me.

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2021 at 17:47
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

This was more difficult. The first of these polls where all five are among my favorites - relatively speaking. But if I'm being totally honest, it's The Can once again. Just a little ahead of Ash Ra Tempel and Embryo's coziest album. Love that Cosmic Jokers album too - and Celestial Ocean is a solid four star as well:

Monster Movie
Ash Ra Tempel
Embryo's Rache
The Cosmic Jokers
Celestial Ocean

Yoo Doo Right bro! I want to quote the opening lines in the notes. 
"In 1968 five young men moved into the Schloss Norvenich in Cologne lent to them by a benevolent art dealer and proceeded to soundproof the place with egg cartons and army surplus matresses. Keyboardist Irmin Schmidt and Holger Czukay both came from the academic world of New Music both had been a pupil of Stockhausen. Drummer Jaki Liebezeit had been part of a Free Jazz movement but now yearned to forego musical "freedom" in favour of repetition, monotony and grooves. Michael Karoli was younger than the rest of the group, a handsome young guitarist as close to a conventional rock creature as CAN possessed. Yet he was able to sublimate his talent into the CAN collective. Finally there was Malcom Mooney, an African American sculpture evading the draft, whom they met in Paris and at once conscripted into CAN".

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2021 at 17:50
Can for sure.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2021 at 20:24
Originally posted by Neu!mann Neu!mann wrote:

Have to go with the Jokers here...the aura of mystery and scandal around their first album is just too compelling, and the music itself is more kosmische than even the Ash Ra tempel debut.

I love how CAN would hit the record button and jam endlessly. This was kind of the same but without the musician's knowledge but imagine how relaxed they must have been, the freedom. Then it just comes to me they were all probably ripped out of their minds. LOL
I have a brother in law who used to have a room at the back of their farmhouse where he jammed with his buddies and he recorded a lot of it. Huge CAN fan by the way and he's a drummer first but not a bad guitarist. Had some good times watching and participating. Or he'd break out his vinyls and man so much cool stuff.

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2021 at 20:29
Originally posted by Progmind Progmind wrote:

hard to pick only one, great poll John!!

voted Embryo closely followed by Ashra Tempel

Interesting and thanks! 

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2021 at 20:35
Originally posted by rik wilson rik wilson wrote:

I went with Can. Monster Movie is my favorite Can release.

Oh wow. Such a raw sounding release recorded live in studio and what we get is organ, drums, guitar, bass and vocals throughout. And what about that 20 minute closer!

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
 Post Reply Post Reply