Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amazing Lesser Known Prog Epics from the 1970s

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which of these GREAT prog epics is your favorite?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [1.35%]
2 [2.70%]
6 [8.11%]
6 [8.11%]
1 [1.35%]
4 [5.41%]
8 [10.81%]
3 [4.05%]
7 [9.46%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.35%]
6 [8.11%]
4 [5.41%]
3 [4.05%]
1 [1.35%]
0 [0.00%]
5 [6.76%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [2.70%]
2 [2.70%]
1 [1.35%]
2 [2.70%]
1 [1.35%]
1 [1.35%]
7 [9.46%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amazing Lesser Known Prog Epics from the 1970s
    Posted: September 23 2021 at 16:31
I thought I'd done this poll before (searched, could find no evidence), or I've wanted to do it for the longest time: Vote for your favorite of these "lesser known" or "lesser acclaimed" prog epics from the 1970s--all of which are, in my opinion, masterpieces in their own right.

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2021 at 16:34
I know 15 out of these, tough choice TBH Embarrassed
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2021 at 16:41
Sorry, peoplesons, about the repeat polls. PA issued me a prompt saying I didn't have the authority to make such a post both times I tried to upload it and then, Voila! there are two duplicate polls -- with no recourse for removing one!!! (A flaw in the system!) 

Call the Admins! We have a smoldering fire here in Prog Polls!

Drew Fisher
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2021 at 16:50
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Sorry, peoplesons, about the repeat polls. PA issued me a prompt saying I didn't have the authority to make such a post both times I tried to upload it and then, Voila! there are two duplicate polls -- with no recourse for removing one!!! (A flaw in the system!) 

Call the Admins! We have a smoldering fire here in Prog Polls!

you can write to one of the admins, they'll help you.  
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2021 at 17:14
Oh boy...this is difficult. 

I'll throw a vote to Schulze. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2021 at 00:08
I have heard 7 or 8 of these and this is difficult: Schulze, Harmonium, Supertramp...

I picked Supertramp.

Edited by someone_else - September 24 2021 at 00:09
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2021 at 00:58
adonis is a true masterpiece imho
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2021 at 01:20
UK
PFM
Herbie Hancock

In that order here.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2021 at 01:24
Hackett>PFM>UK

(but don't know that many)
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2021 at 01:58
I've heard 20 out of these and know about 15 of them quite well. Here's my eclectic top six (it's really a first, second, and the four next at third): 

Sleeping Giant - Herbie Hancock
Shadow of the Heirophant - Steve Hackett (the extended seventeen minute playout version)
Ludwig von Bayern - Klaus Schulze
Can You Hear Me? - Renaissance
Traumaschine - Ash Ra Tempel
L'auberge du sanglier/A Hunting We Will Go - Caravan
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2021 at 09:52
Caravan, UK, Hackett, ...went with Hunting by Caravan...great track that develops nicely.
Love the Hackett and UK tracks also.....but there is somethng special about that Caravan track
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2021 at 11:24
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

...L'auberge du sanglier/A Hunting We Will Go - Caravan

Hi,

How I love to blast this on my stereo or in the car. Fabulous.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2021 at 11:57
Since I get to vote again, I gave this one to Renaissance. Lots of drama and great beauty.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2021 at 12:59
I don't consider the Hackett, Supertramp, or UK selections as "Lesser Known". Maybe not even Renaissance's.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2021 at 05:48
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

I don't consider the Hackett, Supertramp, or UK selections as "Lesser Known". Maybe not even Renaissance's.

Good point. I guess what I meant was some of the less-than-obvious choices for Top 20 Prog Epics from the 1970s. These would not go with the usual suspects generated by the "Big Six" during that era.

Drew Fisher
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2021 at 08:02
The Ikon!!!
The Prog Corner
Cylli Kat (0fficial) View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cylli Kat (0fficial) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2021 at 20:00
And prying eyes are blind to proceedings of the kind that begin...

In the Dead of Night
(Insert Clever Words Here)
I'm actually this guy: Cylli Kat
SuperMetro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2021 at 20:13
Fools Overture is god. It definitely gets my vote. I felt like Supertramp was more than just "The Logical Song" after Fools Overture. Matter of fact, I have been listening "The Logical Song" and the other hits by Supertramp on 102.9 for years and I loved them. Then a couple of months ago, I listened to Fool's Overture and then found my favorite Supertramp song. Everything on CoTC is awesome as well.

In 2nd is Anthony Phillips' King Henry: Portraits on Tudor Times. I feel sentiment from hearing this song 2 months ago, and this song also sounds fantastic. I love the classical sound of the song, and it sounds amazing all the way through. It makes me feel as if I were at the library when I am hearing this. 
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2021 at 20:41
great poll!!! Thumbs Up

Voted Island - Pictures, very personal and original sound by the swiss band
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2021 at 22:42
Bunch of pieces I love here. Hackett is a close second, but went with Island - Pictures. Although, if I was picking a track off that album I would go with Herold and King.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>