Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

townparks foundry for prog-folk (maybe)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: townparks foundry for prog-folk (maybe)
    Posted: September 27 2021 at 07:50
I own this digital recording since when I've got in touch with the Irish label Deserted Village, many years ago, but I never suggested it.

This one shot band is a duo made of David Colohan (United Bible Studies,Agitated Radio Pilot, Raising Holy Sparks) and Ian Mc Partland. 
The only release is the "minialbum", as they called it, "A vista Opens", released in 2002.
Its length is about 34 minutes, so I'd consider it a full length release.

Should it be accepted I can take care of the addition. 

By the way, I'm not sure it's prog-folk. Up to you.

Yours 
Octopus-4
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2021 at 19:50
hmm kind of like an acoustic Pink Floyd. ie acoustic psych rock, not folk IMO, or borderline at best.  Let's see what Hugues thinks
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2021 at 08:02
Even though I don't hear Floyd in particular, I can't disagree with you. Prog Folk has been my first choice, but apart of Clannad, Pentangle and few others, my knowledge of the sub is quite limited.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2021 at 12:05
it's that plodding, strummed rhythm that reminds me of Floyd, eg the title track to WYWH.
If Hugues is in favour I am good with adding them so let's see what he says.  I don't necessarily think they have to be in PA but, if they are, it's hard to figure a genre that might fit better than folk, just because of the acoustic nature.  I suppose crossover or psych but the psych is a bit of a stretch.\

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2021 at 12:16
If they don't land on PA it won't be a drama.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2021 at 13:30
difficult to say, sometimes Floydish, sometimes Neil Young-ish (the lenghty track)

A weak yes on my part. Probably wouldn't have said yes, if Ken hadn't before me.
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2021 at 16:11
sorry Hugues I actually didn't mean a yes, and certainly not a strong yes.  I was more about that the songs are not really folky other than having ponderously strummed acoustic guitars, but that if they are to be added prog folk would maybe be the place.  But personally I would skip on them given both of our ambivalences

Edited by kenethlevine - September 28 2021 at 16:13
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2021 at 23:57
In case, I can't find pictures of the duo. There are a lot with David Colohan but Ian McPartland is nowhere
 Post Reply Post Reply