Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > I Have A Question For You......?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRemoving member rating stars as punishment

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Removing member rating stars as punishment
    Posted: September 28 2021 at 15:00
Is this even a thing ? It was brought up in a thread and it actually looks like it might have happened to me.
What's the poop?
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2021 at 15:27
I would wish a single star as a senior member. That would be uniquely (and bizarrely) cool! Clown
Man Overboard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2021 at 16:39
Happened to me. Admin Logan responded very dishonestly/disingenuously in my thread about a five-album prog concept arc I'd completed, represented a bunch of arbitrary conditions as structural fact to derail discussion, and took issue with my incidental and provoked assessment of some of his and the collab teams' work without at all addressing the core issue of my assessment. Then he moved and locked my thread, and in PM, told me he was having me stripped of my Prog Reviewer title and 4th star. 

Then, it happened. He was right: the thread had devolved into disrespectful attacks--but they came from him. Ouch

Most insultingly, I've got credibility on ProgArchives as a composer of avant-garde music, my debut album was well-received and elicited comparisons to Fred Frith, among others. I doubt the original upload link works, but a remastered version of 2008's Soundtrack For A Dream is available to listen to. Logan should own up to his mistakes and be accountable, make things right, and give us our stars back. I wonder why yours was taken, JD?

Edited by Man Overboard - September 28 2021 at 17:10
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2021 at 17:51
A signed, well-known, contemporary prog artist, who I won't name as I do not wish to name-drop, compared my 2021 work to Schoenberg, King Crimson, Stockhausen, Radiohead, and Ryuichi Sakamoto. I don't disagree that musical elements that can be rightfully compared to those composers tastefully shine through in my recent work. I think that Logan owes us all a serious apology. 
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2021 at 17:53
I say make me a 1 star.
It won’t hurt my feelings. 🤪
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2021 at 02:16
Originally posted by Man Overboard Man Overboard wrote:

Happened to me. Admin Logan responded very dishonestly/disingenuously in my thread about a five-album prog concept arc I'd completed, represented a bunch of arbitrary conditions as structural fact to derail discussion, and took issue with my incidental and provoked assessment of some of his and the collab teams' work without at all addressing the core issue of my assessment. Then he moved and locked my thread, and in PM, told me he was having me stripped of my Prog Reviewer title and 4th star. 

Then, it happened. He was right: the thread had devolved into disrespectful attacks--but they came from him. Ouch

Most insultingly, I've got credibility on ProgArchives as a composer of avant-garde music, my debut album was well-received and elicited comparisons to Fred Frith, among others. I doubt the original upload link works, but a remastered version of 2008's Soundtrack For A Dream is available to listen to. Logan should own up to his mistakes and be accountable, make things right, and give us our stars back.

Well, you have an interesting way of misrepresenting things... Apparently, modesty and self-criticism are not your strong-points. There may have been some unpleasant remarks in that thread, generated by your very pretentious - which I read as humorous - presentation of your own music. Instead of ignoring the unpleasant remarks (but which were no way insulting) you reacted in an aggressive and insulting way. Logan definitely was neither insulting, nor disrespectful. Since you started reporting from the collab-zone, and insulting its members, I can understand why he stripped you from access to it. If there is someone who has to apologize for being disrespectful in that thread it is you.

Honestly, and it has been said by someone else in that same thread, your attitude doesn't incite me to explore your music further... It is not really the best way to promote something.

Only recently I came to understand that there is something as a "collab-zone" to which normal earthlings don't have access. Apparently, you need a fourth or fifth star to gain access. I guess it is not about the stars but about this access to the ZONE... This doesn't explain of course why JD has been deprived of it, but I think this is more a matter for PM than for a public thread...

Edited by suitkees - September 29 2021 at 02:27

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2021 at 02:22
I honestly can't remember if you were a collab or not. Embarrassed
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2021 at 02:45
Originally posted by Man Overboard Man Overboard wrote:

I don't see any "attacks" from Logan but I do see -

"Any members of teams who chose not to assess my work for inclusion in the archives, especially those who reply in this thread, are only showing their complete asses."

and

"These actions say a lot more about the bad-faith performance and procedural structural failings of these team members to do their jobs correctly,"

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2021 at 05:46
Wow, I still don't have an answer to the question I asked. And I didn't mean for this to turn into a rehashing of someone else's issues.

But it does sound like it IS a thing. Although I have to admit that I fail to see what value it holds really.
I mean I only just noticed my own being reduced so clearly it doesn't affect my activity on the site to the best of my knowledge. Plus, it was NEVER communicated to me that I was at risk or that it had even been done.

I suspect I was 'penalized' for my 'Re-writing The Classics' thread violation of posting song lyrics (even though I included credits). Something I find deeply hypocritical given so many other threads that quote or use others work.

At the end of the day I've made my own choice to not participate in that thread as a form of silent protest.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2021 at 06:29
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Wow, I still don't have an answer to the question I asked. And I didn't mean for this to turn into a rehashing of someone else's issues.

But it does sound like it IS a thing. Although I have to admit that I fail to see what value it holds really.
I mean I only just noticed my own being reduced so clearly it doesn't affect my activity on the site to the best of my knowledge. Plus, it was NEVER communicated to me that I was at risk or that it had even been done.

I suspect I was 'penalized' for my 'Re-writing The Classics' thread violation of posting song lyrics (even though I included credits). Something I find deeply hypocritical given so many other threads that quote or use others work.

At the end of the day I've made my own choice to not participate in that thread as a form of silent protest.
Apologies for derailing your thread.
To be honest I thought Senior Member was a three star title anyway. If you have had one removed then clearly someone should have informed you and the reason why.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2021 at 07:43
Forum Senior Member is 3 stars. If you are a collab then its four stars. Have you (JD) ever been a collab?
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2021 at 09:56
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

Forum Senior Member is 3 stars. If you are a collab then its four stars. Have you (JD) ever been a collab?

Prog reviewer is four stars as well, as you can see.

Edited by Lewian - September 29 2021 at 09:56
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2021 at 09:58
^ True, was JD ever a prog reviewer?
Reviewers and Collabs have access to the same zones, Special Collabs have access to one more zone and Admins and Mods have access to the admin zone.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2021 at 10:16
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

^ True, was JD ever a prog reviewer? Reviewers and Collabs have access to the same zones, Special Collabs have access to one more zone and Admins and Mods have access to the admin zone.
That's a lot of zones!! Do you ever get lost in the zone? LOL
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2021 at 10:33
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

In respect to this, I am not aware of you being penalized for that thread.  We are looking into it, but I don't think there was any accidental removal of any stars.  

As far as the posting of song lyrics vs. posting YouTube videos, I already posted a link that will answer your concerns about this.  I'll repost that here.  

Posting of lyrics - judgments usually don't go in favor of the defendant violating the fair use law because the lyrics are posted directly on the offender's site (no off-site link was provided).
Posting of YouTube videos - judgments have been going in favor of the defendant because they only provide a link to an outside source (like YouTube).

It's okay if you decide not to participate in the "Rewriting the classics" thread.  But since you keep bringing it up that you think it's hypocritical, I feel it's only fair that I post the reason that things were decided the way they are.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2021 at 10:37
^ If JD was never a collab or prog reviewer, then there was no change in his status or star accumulation.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2021 at 11:23
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

Well, you have an interesting way of misrepresenting things...

LOL I could say the same about you. Why exactly is a "prog description" of music considered to be such an offense that you can just openly attack a lifelong musician's music without hearing their music? Not my fault that Logan misrepresented the situation and acted as if I hadn't submitted my music through the proper channels--and when I acknowledged (again) that I had, I was attacked for explaining the results of that process. I've been here for almost 20 years, you a single one. It's almost 14 years since I released Soundtrack For A Dream to very positive reception here on ProgArchives and toured successfully in support of it. Why shouldn't new music I make be considered? 

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I don't see any "attacks" from Logan but I do see -

"Any members of teams who chose not to assess my work for inclusion in the archives, especially those who reply in this thread, are only showing their complete asses."

and

"These actions say a lot more about the bad-faith performance and procedural structural failings of these team members to do their jobs correctly,"

Try reading the referenced thread more carefully--and try explaining why it's a problem for a member to mention a miscarriage of procedure when an errant admin makes a foolish assumption. 

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2021 at 11:23
^ I've been trying to search for cached pages with JD having that extra star (as collabs/ prog reviewers do) and have not so far found ones other than the current status (three stars, Forum Senior member).  

As to lyrics: Please see this in the rules section: Copyrighted material - A warning
This is a privately owned site and suggestions of changes to those rules would be best directed to M@x and we should all try to abide by the rules in Forum Home > Site Rules and Guidelines Site rules and guidelines 

I do suggest that if one has concerns to try PMing an admin.  Try to explain the situation as clearly as possible, and we'll look into them.

As for the general issue of removing stars as punishment,  I don't see it as punishment, but as a security, trust and confidentiality issue as those stars give greater access.  There are deeper issues of concern regarding this.  Note that when I took action before in this regard, it followed consultation with the other admin.  If one wishes to contest or question an action, then consultation with admin via PM is requested.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2021 at 11:26
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

If one wishes to contest or question an action, then consultation with admin via PM is requested.

You dehumanized me via PM, when I tried communicating with you via that channel. Who should I PM about that, Logan? Given the thread, Logan, maybe you could've listened to the music instead of going on the warpath. You didn't address the handful of attacks that threatened to derail the thread, you simply joined them. 

Edited by Man Overboard - September 29 2021 at 11:28
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2021 at 11:53
That's not my perspective at all. 

Contact another admin by PM to try to make your case if you haven't already.  I don't feel that I was abusive, yet you were very insulting towards me when I tried to clarify my action and express my concerns.  And your thread was something of a trainwreck before I supposedly tried to derail it from my perspective.  It was misplaced, and I provided the link that made the case.  I often move threads, but I don't always take the time to explain why as I often lack the time.

I had even tried to offer some understanding with my first post when I responded to others by saying, "I read it as humorous though.  I quite commonly joke around with a straight-face often employing absurdity and hyperbole.  There are so many different ways that people interpret intent."  I think I may have been too generous now.

I did offer a formal warning due to your lack of discretion when discussing your perception of what goes on in the collab zone.  I did not remove your Prog Reviewer status until I had consulted with the other admin (was concerned about your collab zone privileges -- I hope for a sense of discretion and that we can trust those people).

Mine was a general comment, though, about contacting any admin if people have concerns or wish to contest an action.  And if I wished to contest an action by an admin, then I would contact another admin to ask for their perspective and assessment.

I would rather you contact other admin about this and they can investigate and assess your grievances.  That is better procedure and if it is politely and thoughtfully handled, it is more likely to lead to a positive outcome.

Edited by Logan - September 29 2021 at 12:00
Just a fanboy passin' through.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>