4 [25.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [6.25%]
3 [18.75%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kosmische Musik VIII
    Posted: September 28 2021 at 17:24
It's between Can and Gunter for me, need to spin them one more time.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2021 at 19:14
Really adore Steig Aus by Embryo
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2021 at 01:03
Some great choices, but have to go with Guru Guru. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2021 at 01:32
Oh another tricky one. Stieg Aus along with Embryo's Reise are my two favorite Embryo-releases. I think. But Can has a special place in my heart... and life. And I adore every single song and second on that sometimes written off as an uneven, transitional album by Can. Malcolm Mooney and Damo Suzuki on the same album works just perfect to my ears. And although its a collection of songs made for various films - I really enjoy it as a full album from start to finish.

The rest are nowhere near imo, but Gunter Schickert is always an interesting listen. And for 1983 Kinder In Der Wildnis is pretty amazing (funnily I heard it for the first time about a week ago). 

-so Can it is, once again:)
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2021 at 01:45
Can- Soundtracks
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2021 at 02:40
Guru Guru, followed by Can.
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2021 at 03:52
Had side on of Kanguru been as good as the second, it would have one easily. But now my vote goes to Soundtracks.
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2021 at 06:22
There is some stellar stuff on Soundtracks but indeed I find it a bit uneven (no surprise given that it's a collection of stuff not meant to be put together initially). Also I have given a lot of votes to Can already, so this time Embryo it is.
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2021 at 18:25
Originally posted by Progmind Progmind wrote:

Really adore Steig Aus by Embryo

My favourite Embryo or second depending. Anyway pretty cool that the long closer "Call" which was born out of Mal Waldron on the electric piano and Jimmy Jackson on the organ improvizing. Yes two Americans.

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2021 at 18:34
The three I have are Can's Soundtracks, Guru Guru's Kanguru and Embryo's Steig Aus.  My favourite of those are the Embryo and Can albums.   I'm going with Can this time.  I really like Soundtracks, and the awesomeness of "Mother Sky" gives it the edge.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2021 at 18:34
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Some great choices, but have to go with Guru Guru. 

This from Sounds magazine at the time which tended to be critical of German music. "Again, Nieumeier(drums & vocals), Uli Trepte(bass & vocals), and Ax Genrich(guitar & vocals) have indulged in their highly sophisticated space rock sound. The four tracks on the LP all feature confusing melody lines played on top of and against each other with such effortlessness and a matter-of-course attitude that there is no room for any incomprehensibilities. The sound structures are marked by fastidious accuracy and unusual artfulness, bringing to mind the best works of Jimi Hendrix, whose music Guru Guru appear to be familiar with. Yet they don't copy Hendrix, but, under their own steam and with their own creativity, merely process his results to produce music that goes beyond Hendrix".

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2021 at 17:19
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Oh another tricky one. Stieg Aus along with Embryo's Reise are my two favorite Embryo-releases. I think. But Can has a special place in my heart... and life. And I adore every single song and second on that sometimes written off as an uneven, transitional album by Can. Malcolm Mooney and Damo Suzuki on the same album works just perfect to my ears. And although its a collection of songs made for various films - I really enjoy it as a full album from start to finish.

The rest are nowhere near imo, but Gunter Schickert is always an interesting listen. And for 1983 Kinder In Der Wildnis is pretty amazing (funnily I heard it for the first time about a week ago). 

-so Can it is, once again:)

Can for me as well, not really close I just wanted Gunter to get a vote. Soundtracks is right at or near the top for me when it comes to Can albums. It ends so strongly too. I mean side two is perfect. 
For me it's Stieg Aus and Rocksession as my two favourite Embryo albums, with Reise third. 
That title track on Schickert's album features this boy singing his butt off. I've heard child singers on Prog albums and children's choirs of course but this kid is commanding the recording studio and at one point you can here Gunter laughing. 

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2021 at 21:27
Can.
 Post Reply Post Reply