36 [45.57%]
43 [54.43%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Drama vs Peter Gabriel III (Melt)
    Posted: August 18 2023 at 01:14
Drama
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2023 at 00:46
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

I know Peter Gabriel was revolutionary for its time but it has not aged well.
This comment has not aged well.
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2023 at 23:09
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

Originally posted by Necrotica Necrotica wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

^ disagree with the 'ceased to be progressive', Drama was definitely not a copy and paste exercise in my view . Yes were still pushing even with 90125 but after that it was a bit off the end of a cliff re the progressive thing admittedly.

Agreed.

Honestly, I've always seen Drama/90125 as Yes' version of Genesis' ATTWT/Duke duology. All are transitional records - Drama/ATTWT being pop-oriented prog rock, and 90125/Duke being prog-oriented pop rock.

And then Big Generator is basically their Invisible Touch, minus the massive sales figures LOL
While I hear some pop in Drama, I would hesitate to call it pop rock overall. Certainly not tracks like Into the Lens, White Car, MACHINE MESSIAH, Tempus Fugit...

And that's why I called it pop-inspired prog, rather than the other way around. Hell, Machine Messiah might have just been one of the first prog metal songs ever Smile
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2023 at 22:31

^ disagree with the 'ceased to be progressive', Drama was definitely not a copy and paste exercise in my view . Yes were still pushing even with 90125 but after that it was a bit off the end of a cliff re the progressive thing admittedly.

Agreed.

Honestly, I've always seen Drama/90125 as Yes' version of Genesis' ATTWT/Duke duology. All are transitional records - Drama/ATTWT being pop-oriented prog rock, and 90125/Duke being prog-oriented pop rock.

And then Big Generator is basically their Invisible Touch, minus the massive sales figures LOL
While I hear some pop in Drama, I would hesitate to call it pop rock overall. Certainly not tracks like Into the Lens, White Car, MACHINE MESSIAH, Tempus Fugit...
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2023 at 16:10
Originally posted by Steve Wyzard Steve Wyzard wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I can listen to Big Generator without skipping any songs, but with Invisible Touch it's not the case, at all. Big smile

A better comparison would be Big Generator and We Can't Dance, neither of which I can listen to all the way through. Invisible Touch I can sit through.

I enjoy WCD more than IT, but Big Generator is more enjoyable than both Genesis albums. 
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2023 at 16:03
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I can listen to Big Generator without skipping any songs, but with Invisible Touch it's not the case, at all. Big smile

A better comparison would be Big Generator and We Can't Dance, neither of which I can listen to all the way through. Invisible Touch I can sit through.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2023 at 15:48

Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2023 at 14:08

Agreed.

Edited by Necrotica - August 17 2023 at 14:09
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2023 at 10:33

Fully agree with the above!!!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2023 at 10:30
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2023 at 08:53
Gabriel pushed the limits here whereas Yes had ceased to be progressive by 'Drama'.  
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2023 at 02:47
Peter Gabriel III
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2023 at 02:44
gentle bump! Smile
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2022 at 17:22
PG 3
Drama has some good moments but definitely not the Yes I like
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2022 at 11:36
Peter Gabriel: III
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2021 at 12:26
^ It's from the Hall of the Mountain King part from Edvard Grieg's Peer Gynt suite.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2021 at 12:12
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Yes, it has to be Drama, bearing in mind I can't name any of the songs on Peter Gabriel 3. Embarrassed

Not even Biko?

It's very close call for me but I'd probably go for PG.

I would have said, "Not even Games Without Frontiers?"  That is one of my very favourite songs that has been an "in regular rotation" staple of classic rock radio here.  I'm glad Peter Gabriel moved on from Genesis into his "solo" career.

I hugely prefer Melt.  I don't like the classic opening track on Drama, "Machine Messiah", and it doesn't improve for me as the album moves on.  It's due to albums such as this that I don't think of myself as a Prog fan.   I tried to listen through it again, but it is dreadful to these ears.

Paul, you're missing out on one of the great albums of the 1980s. From the song "The Intruder" with the sinister Peter Lorre whistle (from the movie "M", where Lorre is a whistling serial killer) all the way to the anti-apartheid anthem "Biko'' it is a splendid progressive concept album featuring folks like Robert Fripp, Kate Bush, Phil Collins and Tony Levin. 
Saw M the other night on TCM and am curious what classical piece the serial killer was whistling.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2021 at 11:50
After 2 weeks and 3 pages of responses, the two competitors are almost in a dead heat! I would like to say thank you to everybody who participated - I had no idea the results would turn out like this! I love both albums, but my vote went to Drama for its overall consistency. 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2021 at 14:40
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

I am surprised that Drama got so many votes.

Not I! LOL
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2021 at 13:44
I know Peter Gabriel was revolutionary for its time but it has not aged well. Drama sits better with me today than "melt".

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>