Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rick Wakeman New Yes...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rick Wakeman New Yes...
    Posted: October 01 2021 at 13:27
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2021 at 16:14
Well, despite his wish, this interview mainly conveys the idea that the ARW album won't happen, because of the geographical distances... Personally, I'm more interested in what this combo could do than what the current Yes is doing, but I'm also convinced that it could never lead to something really good if they would not get physically together as a band to write, rehearse and record. That Wakeman is convinced of this is actually the most interesting part of this interview.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2021 at 17:30
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

Well, despite his wish, this interview mainly conveys the idea that the ARW album won't happen, because of the geographical distances... Personally, I'm more interested in what this combo could do than what the current Yes is doing, but I'm also convinced that it could never lead to something really good if they would not get physically together as a band to write, rehearse and record. That Wakeman is convinced of this is actually the most interesting part of this interview.

Same. A comment like this will draw jeers from some, not all, but to understand Rick is to understand how fundamental a role music plays in his very being-ness. The reason he's recorded and released so much music is because that's what he's into. He's not a painter on the side, he doesn't write poems (he does play, or played, golf), he's about making music and performing music. Rick's not like other members of Yes (and other bands) who relocated to the States. He retains his English-ness to the nth degree and won't leave England.

Rick won't deal with file-sharing and remote recording/mixing. He likes doing everything in-house, as far as I can tell.

Too bad ARW was short-lived. I don't fault Rick's lament for lack of action since he loves to collaborate.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2021 at 18:04
There's a few really good Rick Wakeman solo albums but his best stuff was definitely with Yes so I can understand him wanting to do more of that. 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2021 at 21:45
Wakeman wants to do more Yes music. Anderson wants to do more Yes music. Most of us fans want them to do more Yes music, if it's with Howe even better. So why can't we get it? Or at least the AWR album that never happened (yeah, I know, because of the distance )
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2021 at 21:47
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

Same. A comment like this will draw jeers from some, not all, but to understand Rick is to understand how fundamental a role music plays in his very being-ness. The reason he's recorded and released so much music is because that's what he's into. He's not a painter on the side, he doesn't write poems (he does play, or played, golf), he's about making music and performing music. Rick's not like other members of Yes (and other bands) who relocated to the States. He retains his English-ness to the nth degree and won't leave England.

Rick won't deal with file-sharing and remote recording/mixing. He likes doing everything in-house, as far as I can tell.

Too bad ARW was short-lived. I don't fault Rick's lament for lack of action since he loves to collaborate.

So, if distance is the problem, and Wakeman has stayed true to his love for his country, perhaps he could end up joining with Gilmour and do some project together
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2021 at 21:49
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

There's a few really good Rick Wakeman solo albums but his best stuff was definitely with Yes so I can understand him wanting to do more of that. 

Actually, even though I do prefer Yes as a band (slightly) over Wakeman as a solo artist, there's more albums from Wakeman that I would give five stars than from Yes (and those Yes albums include Wakeman himself).
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2021 at 22:12
Hi,

I doubt they can create something "new" and original at all ... and honestly ... I'll save my money for something else that needs the assist and has music that in many ways is "better", and not based on the old days and what they did before. Besides, you already know that most fans will want to hear all the hits and old stuff, and that usually means their new stuff will be trashed and likely ignored by many of us!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2021 at 03:40
I think ARW should do an album just to annoy Steve Howe... Evil Smile
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2021 at 07:08
I'm certainly loosing interest in all things Yes related, but this one might have somethis interesting. Too bad it won't happen.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2021 at 07:21
Funny he mentioned how he wants to make music with everyone in the room---because Howe used to say the same thing years ago about how Jon wanted to do the file sharing and he did not think it was a good way to collaborate. I want Howe to play with him again because they made magic together---Jon Rick and Steve.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2021 at 07:37
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Funny he mentioned how he wants to make music with everyone in the room---because Howe used to say the same thing years ago about how Jon wanted to do the file sharing and he did not think it was a good way to collaborate. I want Howe to play with him again because they made magic together---Jon Rick and Steve.

Hi,

Magic is a funny thing. Sometimes it works and at other times it doesn't despite however much effort one puts in. The bigger issue is that these guys are "stars" and they really have NOTHING to fight for anymore, thus, something as elementary as getting together to work on something or other, is not as important or valuable to the actual group of players.

It's the main reason why I don't look for these folks to do anything worthwhile anymore, and it has become nothing but a money grab ... and honestly? I'm tired of it as it is taking away from many other groups that deserve the chance for their work and can't get it because you spent your nickels on a has been group!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2021 at 07:15
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Magic is a funny thing. Sometimes it works and at other times it doesn't despite however much effort one puts in. The bigger issue is that these guys are "stars" and they really have NOTHING to fight for anymore, thus, something as elementary as getting together to work on something or other, is not as important or valuable to the actual group of players.

It's the main reason why I don't look for these folks to do anything worthwhile anymore, and it has become nothing but a money grab ... and honestly? I'm tired of it as it is taking away from many other groups that deserve the chance for their work and can't get it because you spent your nickels on a has been group!

I agree---I don't and won't see the current Yes live---if they ever tour---and if you heard the latest album it obvious that this lineup is not capable of greatness.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2021 at 07:21
The ARW live album was much better than any of the recent Yes live albums (despite the added on crowd noise) and I would be interested to see what they might come up with in a studio but I doubt that it will happen now.
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2021 at 12:11
The reason these guys won't record anything new together is the same reason Genesis won't record anything new together: they know it will be endlessly compared to 50+ years of previous recordings and be found wanting. No matter how much talent and experience one has, a musician aged 60-70 will not compose and perform like they did when they were 20-30. In this case, refusing to write and record something new when there is still an audience eager to listen is nothing more or less than an issue of PRIDE and not wanting to embarrass one's legacy.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2021 at 12:23
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Wakeman wants to do more Yes music. Anderson wants to do more Yes music. Most of us fans want them to do more Yes music, if it's with Howe even better. So why can't we get it? Or at least the AWR album that never happened (yeah, I know, because of the distance )
Like I said on the Yes Quest thread if Jon A, Rick, Howe, White record new material would be welcomed in my music room.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2021 at 12:36
A and W should cut an album with the current band and call it Re-Re-Re-Reunion.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2021 at 12:37
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

This sums it up for me.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2021 at 18:45
Originally posted by Steve Wyzard Steve Wyzard wrote:

The reason these guys won't record anything new together is the same reason Genesis won't record anything new together: they know it will be endlessly compared to 50+ years of previous recordings and be found wanting. No matter how much talent and experience one has, a musician aged 60-70 will not compose and perform like they did when they were 20-30. In this case, refusing to write and record something new when there is still an audience eager to listen is nothing more or less than an issue of PRIDE and not wanting to embarrass one's legacy.

Hi,

Possibly ... but I don't see that many artists other than rock and pop music that duplicate themselves so badly as to make us cringe and twerk our way.

I think that the issue is more than likely the over hyped attitude towards their work, and then the lack of a realization that this person is a composer ... well, if all they can do is repeat themselves, I'm not sure I would call them a composer, but then, Mozart takes a hit, right?

I think that there are too many people around them linked to record companies that know they can get some more money out of it, and will try to excite these folks for more. It's likely they will not decline it, since it means another this or that for the grandson or granddaughter! Or (in one case), some more money for the many ex's!

Either way, it's irresistible. At 71 you turning down a scoop of that delicious ice cream you loved all your life? 

RIGHT! NEXT!

Edited by moshkito - October 04 2021 at 18:45
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply