Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - I Can See Your House From Here vs The Single Facto
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I Can See Your House From Here vs The Single Facto

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: What Camel Album Do You Like Better
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
24 [92.31%]
2 [7.69%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I Can See Your House From Here vs The Single Facto
    Posted: October 05 2021 at 16:43
ICSYHFH is my personal least favorite, due to having barely any good songs. The whole thing just felt mechanical, like the band was being forced to make terrible pop music(Remote Romance and Who We Are). The Single Factor also had some stinkers(You Are The One, Manic, and Today's Goodbye). I like the Single Factor better, because atleast half of the songs are actually good(Selva, Sasquatch, A Heart's Desire/End Piece), but lets face it, while I think ICSYHFH is a rough album for the band, it had the best moment with Ice. Ice is just fantastic and easily one of my top Camel songs. Just a graceful and beautiful piece that makes me feel as though ICSYHFH had redeemed itself after a rough ride to get to the Ice. ICSYHFH did have some decent tracks though like Hymn To Her and Eye In The Storm(That was originally a Happy the Man song), but I think TSF had more. 
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2021 at 17:30
I find the older album much better than the later one. Plus it still has Andy Ward on it, and Kit Watkins. The Single Factor has less memorable and less strong songs IMO. The difference b/w 70s and 80s is apparent too.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2021 at 17:35
It's a hard one. I'd vote for Single Factor (pretty good pop album even though it is a pop album), where it not for Ice, which just about wins it for ICSYHFH. 
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2021 at 18:06
The drumming of Andy Ward really makes the difference.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2021 at 18:21
Both albums are rated quite the same on my books. On the best of Camel, but good over all. 
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 00:03
I Can See Your House From Here
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 02:14
The Single Factor is the worst thing ever released by Camel. It had one of my very few 1-star reviews.
Imagine somebody new to Camel who starts with that album. Do you think that there would be a second attempt?
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 02:44
I Can See Your Poll from Here, Over the Hills and Far Away across The Ocean in England. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 06 2021 at 02:46
VianaProghead View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VianaProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 02:53
I'm not sure about which do I prefer. Both are the weakest Camel studio albums. I rated both with the same rating, but both are good in their own way. Camel don't have weak albums for me, really.
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 03:31
House 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 04:14
My first Camel gig was on the 'House' tour.  Never forget arriving at Leicester's De Montfort Hall to see the two keyboard set up on stage (Nigel Mazlyn-Jones was the support act).  I organised the coach trip from school.  Sorry, I love that album and regarded it as a return to form after the patchy albums that came after 'Moonmadness'.
SuperMetro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 05:33
I understand this. You have fond memories of the album, and you had believed that it was a return to form. Never Let Go of your love for the album. 
TerLJack View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerLJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 08:39
I can't vote, it wouldn't be fair.  I have had ICSYHFH in my collection for 40-some years,  I've only listened to Single Factor in the last year or three.
I actually quite like them.

Edited by TerLJack - October 06 2021 at 08:40
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 10:11
House
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
SuperMetro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 10:18
Lets hope someone else picks The Single Factor. ICSYHFH is kicking it's sorry little...
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 10:18
I love most of ICSYHFH and don't really understand that there's an issue with it. No classic, but charming and often very beautiful. I enjoy it just as much as the also enjoyable Breathless. I "finally" got around to check out The Single Factor a couple of weeks ago, and its the least memorable Camel-album I've heard.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 10:26
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

I love most of ICSYHFH and don't really understand that there's an issue with it. No classic, but charming and often very beautiful. I enjoy it just as much as the also enjoyable Breathless. I "finally" got around to check out The Single Factor a couple of weeks ago, and its the least memorable Camel-album I've heard.

I agree with most things you say here. Nice to see ICSYHFH getting some love.

The Single Factor is weak indeed, but my least favorite album from Camel is Dust & Dreams, I found it rather lifeless. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 10:28
^I actually haven't heard any Camel-album post Stationary Traveller:)
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 10:33
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

The Single Factor is weak indeed, but my least favorite album from Camel is Dust & Dreams, I found it rather lifeless. 
The Single Factor may be Camel's weakest album, but it's still far preferable to me than KFC's Larks' Tongues in Aspic or VDGG's Pawn Hearts album, or any of Marillion's albums. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 10:35
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

The Single Factor may be Camel's weakest album, but it's still far preferable to me than KFC's Larks' Tongues in Aspic or VDGG's Pawn Hearts album, or any of Marillion's albums. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>