Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Giant Debut vs Camel Debut

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Who's Debut was more giant!?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
18 [34.62%]
34 [65.38%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2021 at 23:25
I'll go Gentle Giant's debut over just about anybody else's debut although I like the Camel very much.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2021 at 01:45
GG over Camel on all albums, for me personally!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
CosmicVibration View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CosmicVibration Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2021 at 07:36
^ I know what you mean, but i'm not sure i would go quite that far.  There is Civilian and Giant For a Day.  I think The Missing Piece was their last exceptional album.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2021 at 07:46
Originally posted by CosmicVibration CosmicVibration wrote:

^ I know what you mean, but i'm not sure i would go quite that far.  There is Civilian and Giant For a Day.  I think The Missing Piece was their last exceptional album.

I really like Civilian, but i think The Missing Piece is not that good. And then of course there's Giant for a Day. 
I'm also not that fond of Interview. 

So even if the bands were up against each other, I'd still vote for Camel. For me, Camel has two weak albums - the poppy The Single Factor and Dust & Dreams which I for one found really dull. 
Cboi Sandlin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cboi Sandlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2021 at 08:00
I don’t think you can really beat Gentle Giant. Truly masterful album.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2021 at 11:34
Not overly enamored with 'Giant's Funny Ways, Isn't It Quiet and Cold, Why Not, and The Queen. The whole of Camel's debut cries out for repeated listenings.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2021 at 13:34
Wow, for once, I can't vote. I go back much further with the Giant, and like the variety on it. But I also like the first Camel album. If I had to choose which was more representative of each band's overall sound, I'd choose Camel.

But still, no way to choose one over the other this time.

Edited by Boojieboy - October 19 2021 at 13:36
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2021 at 20:58
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by CosmicVibration CosmicVibration wrote:

I really like Civilian, but i think The Missing Piece is not that good. And then of course there's Giant for a Day. 
I'm also not that fond of Interview. 

So even if the bands were up against each other, I'd still vote for Camel. For me, Camel has two weak albums - the poppy The Single Factor and Dust & Dreams which I for one found really dull. 
Every word you say. I'd vote Camel as a band over Gentle Giant, but I'd still vote the Gentle Giant debut over the Camel debut.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12