Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rachel Flowers for Progressive/Jazz Fusion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rminsk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rachel Flowers for Progressive/Jazz Fusion
    Posted: October 28 2021 at 22:41
Rachel Flowers has forged a busy and distinguished musical career as a composer, singer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, and producer spanning multiple genres and is already recognized worldwide. She first gained recognition for her talent as a young child and has been admired and mentored by the likes of Greg Lake, Keith Emerson, Dweezil Zappa, Conductor Terje Mikkelson, and a series of jazz greats. She has performed with artists as diverse as Arturo Sandoval, Dweezil Zappa, Michael Sadler, Robert Berry, The Keith Emerson Orchestra, and more. Rachel has commanded the stage as a solo artist, fronted jazz combos, performed her own organ concerto, and starred in the award-winning documentary film "Hearing Is Believing," produced about her unusual life and talents.  While Rachel's favorite instruments continue to be piano and keyboards, she also plays flute, guitar, bass, saxophone, Chapman Stick, and other instruments, and continues expanding her musical arsenal.

"Bigger on the Inside" (2021)
https://rachelflowers.bandcamp.com/album/bigger-on-the-inside
https://www.amazon.com/Bigger-Inside-Rachel-Flowers/dp/B09FPJ2P86
https://open.spotify.com/album/2EKEUPJqEu6NVipRALEhPU?si=igtA3JNfQrydus1tJLpcWQ

"Going Somewhere" (2018)
https://rachelflowers.bandcamp.com/album/going-somewhere
https://www.amazon.com/Going-Somewhere-Rachel-Flowers/dp/B07JM4XDRN
https://open.spotify.com/album/713liizsQQQCyHG6YquMEf?si=JNhJe_UlT0CkmZZ1VgADqA

"Listen" (2016)
https://rachelflowers.bandcamp.com/album/listen
https://www.amazon.com/Listen-Rachel-Flowers/dp/B01N5AQ1YA
https://open.spotify.com/album/7nsubPW8sjDCoAZe94f788?si=4BUySNhGRTCtkb-Nf6SZ6g

"Hearing is Believing (Music from the Soundtrack)" (2017)
https://hearingisbelieving.bandcamp.com/album/hearing-is-believing-music-from-the-soundtrack
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075PL3PK1
https://open.spotify.com/album/1g9stlBomdpqZy2xVEppMd?si=qZAi6a4ATIupS818lJ534A
https://www.amazon.com/Hearing-Believing-Rachel-Flowers/dp/B073162RQP (Prime video movie)

http://rachelflowersmusic.com/
https://soundcloud.com/rachelflowers-1
https://michaelsrecordcollection.substack.com/p/rachel-flowers-takes-giant-leap-with
https://echoesanddust.com/2021/10/rachel-flowers-bigger-on-the-inside/
https://getreadytorock.me.uk/blog/2021/10/album-review-rachel-flowers-bigger-on-the-inside/

Edited by rminsk - November 10 2021 at 03:36
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2021 at 00:44
She's already been suggested five years before by you, and rejected in Jazz / Fusion Team.

Her latest album was released this year but she cannot be accepted unless she gets unanimous thumbs-ups in Jazz / Fusion Team.

Alerted the Team. Thanks anyway. Smile

Edited by DamoXt7942 - October 29 2021 at 00:50
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2021 at 06:31
In case she gets rejected, I think Ms. Flowers deserves to be considered for inclusion as a prog-related artist, considering her impressive reputation within the progosphere and her highly regarded performances of the works of, and collaborations with, multiple renowned prog rock artists.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2021 at 10:05
Originally posted by Mirakaze Mirakaze wrote:

In case she gets rejected, I think Ms. Flowers deserves to be considered for inclusion as a prog-related artist, considering her impressive reputation within the progosphere and her highly regarded performances of the works of, and collaborations with, multiple renowned prog rock artists.

Hi,

I hope she gets the votes to be included.

The only thing that scares me, is that too many bands, that don't have the amount of material to show for it, are added now and then, and when you see the tube material, plus her own albums, this woman deserves a lot more than just ... oh well ... so what?

Even more impressive is her participating in various concerts to honor Keith Emerson, and playing some of his work, and these, other than the big concert (I think the DVD/CD will be out next year), are so far and away too well done. A piano version of Tarkus. An organ version of Tarkus. Various other pieces on piano as well, and NONE of these are released on a CD, which would be massive, and a very important document that would honor the spirit of Keith Emerson like so few folks have been able to do other than copy! She's taken it all a step further ... oh yeah, she can play them regular, but seeing the music side of it, is something that only a special talent can put together, and SEE ... and at that point, it's difficult not to mention that she's blind since birth, and we know via the latest album (Bigger on the Inside) that she has a VERY CLEAR VISION of what her own music needs to be and say, while also suggesting that a lot of the music she plays and has honored in the past, is also something that she has been able to envision really well, to the point of being able to play right, and so well.

One funny bit ... there is one KC track that has been for many years really badly mixed, and it took away many of the little touches that Bill Bruford had in the piece, which gave the piece a somewhat different touch than we originally thought, and in some ways, came off as more playful. On the version that Rachel did, you can hear these small bits and pieces, and it adds to the whole of the piece, but I wonder if RF did not like to have the attention taken away from one thing, in regards to the completeness of the piece. 

But it tells you, how far, and how deep someone can see music and you can see this detail in the latest album, which is fantastic, and specially so on the three large pieces in it. The smaller material is also nice, but in my mind, the development and expression in the 3 large pieces is super special and in the end, it really is very well designed, regardless of whomever you think it sounds like for 5 seconds, only for it to blend into something else that is just as good if not better.

I'm not sure that we can ask more of an artist, or that there is much more that an artist can give us ... this is too special, for PA not to consider it!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2021 at 10:11

If she gets moved to crossover, i will say "yes". Tongue
rminsk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rminsk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2021 at 15:22
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Is that something I need to do because I nominated her in Jazz/Fusion?
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2021 at 15:24
Originally posted by rminsk rminsk wrote:

Is that something I need to do because I nominated her in Jazz/Fusion?

You did nothing wrong
I only hope she does not get rejected, but (hopefully) moved to the crossover team if the JRF team thinks she's not a good fit for them. 
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2021 at 09:05
She is currently being evaluated by the Eclectic team.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2021 at 00:19
Rachel Flowers is cleared for addition by the Eclectic team. However, the above bio is a verbatim copy of the Spotify and Rock Cellar Magazine (possibly others) bio. Please write an original bio and we can add her to the database.
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2021 at 07:02
I don't know if the OP regularly checks up on the forums. Is it rude if I sort of wrote a biography in his stead?

Rachel Flowers is a multi-instrumentalist and composer from California working in several different branches of rock music. Despite having been permanently blind from an early age, she has gained a reputation for being an impressive keyboard virtuoso as well an accomplished flute, guitar, bass, saxophone and Chapman Stick player. Her star in the progressive rock community rose swiftly from 2011 onward, after she began publishing solo piano and synthesizer recordings of songs by Emerson, Lake & Palmer on YouTube, which even gained her the attention of Keith Emerson and Greg Lake themselves. Since then, she has released three solo albums and has performed with Herbie Hancock, Dweezil Zappa, Rick Wakeman, Arturo Sandoval, Michael Sadler and Terje Mikkelsen, among many others. She also played piano at Keith Emerson's tribute concert in 2016.
Her debut album "Listen" was released in 2016 and consisted mostly of instrumental jazz fusion pieces, in tribute to Flowers's long-standing admiration of the music of John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock and Ella Fitzgerald. She played every instrument on the album by herself. Her follow-up album, 2017's "Going Somewhere", showed more influence from rock and pop music and featured her vocals for the first time. With the release of her third album "Bigger On The Inside" in 2021, she has continued her musical trajectory into harder-hitting progressive rock music while retaining the characteristic optimism and listener-friendly nature of her earlier output.

Edited by Mirakaze - November 23 2021 at 13:41
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2021 at 07:05
she's under evaluation with the eclectic team. 

A little patience please. 
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivertree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2021 at 07:06
this is not rude at all imho, as this improves things a lot, thanks

Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2021 at 19:20

I don't know if the OP regularly checks up on the forums. Is it rude if I sort of wrote a biography in his stead?

Rachel Flowers is a multi-instrumentalist and composer from California working in several different branches of rock music. Despite having been permanently blind from an early age, she has gained a reputation for being an impressive keyboard virtuoso as well an accomplished flute, guitar, bass, saxophone and Chapman Stick player. Her star in the progressive rock community rose swiftly from 2011 onward, after she began publishing solo piano and synthesizer recordings of songs by Emerson, Lake & Palmer on YouTube, which even gained her the attention of Keith Emerson and Greg Lake themselves. Since then, she has released three solo albums and has performed with Herbie Hancock, Dweezil Zappa, Rick Wakeman, Arturo Sandoval, Michael Sadler and Terje Mikkelsen, among many others. She also played piano at Keith Emerson's tribute concert in 2016.
Her debut album "Listen" was released in 2016 and consisted mostly of instrumental jazz fusion pieces, in tribute to Flowers's long-standing admiration of the music of John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock and Ella Fitzgerald. She played every instrument on the album by herself. Her follow-up album, 2017's "Going Somewhere", showed more influence from rock and pop music and featured her vocals for the first time. With the release of her third album "Bigger On The Inside" in 2021, she has continued her musical trajectory into harder-hitting and more complex progressive rock music while retaining the characteristic optimism and listener-friendly nature of her earlier output.

Rude?
Absolutely not. I will get her added this evening. Thank you...again?
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2021 at 19:30

Please note the post above Mirakaze's.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2021 at 00:50
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Please note the post above Mirakaze's.

ok, my bad. Embarrassed
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2021 at 02:12
Rachel Flowers is added, but I will have to add albums tomorrow. Funky rural internet behaving poorly and adding from the little phone keyboard sounds unpleasant.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2021 at 07:09
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Rachel Flowers is added, but I will have to add albums tomorrow. Funky rural internet behaving poorly and adding from the little phone keyboard sounds unpleasant.

Hi,

Cool ... I'll add make sure my review of her album is posted again with the information and notes.

Thx, and well done team. Much appreciated
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
rminsk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rminsk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2021 at 10:51

Her debut album "Listen" was released in 2016 and consisted mostly of instrumental jazz fusion pieces, in tribute to Flowers's long-standing admiration of the music of John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock and Ella Fitzgerald. She played every instrument on the album by herself. Her follow-up album, 2017's "Going Somewhere", showed more influence from rock and pop music and featured her vocals for the first time. With the release of her third album "Bigger On The Inside" in 2021, she has continued her musical trajectory into harder-hitting and more complex progressive rock music while retaining the characteristic optimism and listener-friendly nature of her earlier output.

The only thing I think I would change is to get rid of the "and more complex" before progressive rock.  It sort of implies her earlier work was not complex.  Songs like Gregs Favorite, Runs For Miles, Aloha, Will You Remember Me, ... are just as complex as anything on Bigger on the Inside.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2021 at 10:54
Albums are added
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2021 at 13:44
Originally posted by rminsk rminsk wrote:

The only thing I think I would change is to get rid of the "and more complex" before progressive rock.  It sort of implies her earlier work was not complex.  Songs like Gregs Favorite, Runs For Miles, Aloha, Will You Remember Me, ... are just as complex as anything on Bigger on the Inside.

Fair enough; I've altered it.

@Tapfret, I think you may have accidentally copied the Spotify biography in the original post when you added her artist page.

Edited by Mirakaze - November 23 2021 at 13:44
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>