Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to define and classify "Progressive Rock"?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 242526
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2023 at 12:44
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

David has made it his obsession to hammer his disagreement with PA's basic principle of considering and defining the category of "progressive rock" into every thread where he finds an opportunity. This particular thread is a nice play ground for him, so it would be nice if he could keep his musings about definitions here instead of polluting other threads with it.
Originally posted by Archisorcerus Archisorcerus wrote:

For the sake of fairness...

The entity you defend is an obnoxiously obsessive being who has been polluting a myriad of threads on this forum for a very long time.
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Even a blind squirrel occasionally finds a nut. Guess they were both found.

One thing, we can agree on here, is that Mosh has been "polluting" this thread, but it applies on not so few others. LOL

Edited by David_D - October 05 2023 at 04:26
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2023 at 13:34
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

One thing, we can agree on here, is that Mosh is "polluting" this thread. LOL

Hi,

Of course ... since you are the GOD of all things progressive, and your musings are so silly ... pollution is only bad when it destroys the idea ... I did not set out to destroy the idea ... it's the thoughts about it that are insane, and not on par with the history of progressive music whatsoever ... your "pollution" is likely more confused than the whole idea and concept of progressive works. You don't even recognize the artistic connections, specially to the early works, which help detail a lot of things ... and your idea and lack of cohesion on the subject of "progressive" anything, is astounding!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2023 at 14:16
The Mrs Merton Show: "Let's have a heated debate on music." Smile

progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2023 at 14:21
This feels like a good time for a sandwich.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2023 at 16:11
^ I'm still waiting for my price-tag gun.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2023 at 16:22
^Whoops! I think I mistook it for a sandwich. How long does it take for something to come out the other end?
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2023 at 17:38
^ I'm going to ignore that with dignity and grace.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2023 at 03:02

At this point of time, I'm most into that RYM's definition of Progressive Rock and their use of it (labeling) are the most authoritative ones.

Why do I think so? Well, not least because RYM today is definitely the most used site, also when talking about Progressive Rock alone, and PA being only a much smaller brother which can for instance be illustrated by something I've written in another thread:

"If want to compare PA with RYM with regard to numbers of Prog ratings in general, 156 albums have got at least 1000 ratings on PA, 
while the same amounts to about 600 albums for RYM's "Progressive Rock" and "Progressive Metal" alone which stylistically seen 
is a much narrower perspective than all the albums included on PA.

Methodic explanation:

A term, and not least in the world of art and music, will usually be defined and used in different ways. When considering which 
definition to find the most important and influential, you have not least to look at which one is most used. That's at least 
the typical logic of historians.

Anyway, considering the much growing of numbers of Progressive Rock ratings on RYM which shows to me much interest for 
the genre, and the site's definition of the genre, I feel now definitely more at ease on behalf of Progressive Rock.
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

Sorry, my obsession is probably to counter fallacies in reasoning, and I will probably come over as arrogant - which I probably am -, but let's play...

A term, and not least in the world of art and music, will usually be defined and used in different ways.
That's a platitude. Which is OK, but it is not saying anything, other than going counter to your obstination to privilege the RYM definition of Prog while dismissing PA's definition...

Quote When considering which definition to find the most important and influential, you have not least to look at which one is most used. That's at least the typical logic of historians.
More than once I had the impression that you made statements in domains you clearly don't master. One of them is philosophy and now historiography. You clearly don't know anything about the "logic" of historians. Even in the natural sciences your statement might be much disputed, but I don't think there will be many historians adopting your populist ideology (because that's what it comes down to). It definitely is not the popularity of definitions that move forward the human sciences, but more their efficiency. In historiography there can be very specific definitions that are not used by many others but that still help us to better understand specific (historical) phenomena. Again, it is not about the popularity of a definition, it is about its efficiency and pertinence in order to better understand (and explain) what happened or what a phenomenon is about. And especially when we want to cut back (historical) phenomena to just one popular definition we will be doing a lot of injustice to both history and historiography.

Quote Anyway, considering the much growing of numbers of Progressive Rock ratings on RYM which shows to me much interest for the genre, and the site's definition of the genre, I feel now definitely more at ease on behalf of Progressive Rock.
So now you're talking "on behalf" of Progressive Rock? But apart from that, it is another fallacy to think that from the number of RYM users you could conclude anything about the popularity of the definition of Progressive Rock RYM is giving - I don't think that the RYM users registered because of RYM's definition of Progressive Rock, let alone voted for it (or against it). Your extrapolations are creating realities that don't exist.

Actually, I think you can play better and more clean than this, Kees, but I guess the circumstances are not the best ones.
I wouldn't mind also to hear Lewian's opinion on the matter, but I guess there's the same problem.

Anyway, it was important for me to explain my present position concerning the definition of Progressive Rock, now I'm most into looking at PA as a site for Progressive Music.

Edited by David_D - September 30 2023 at 02:52
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2023 at 03:08

I've already written in this blog about which sub-genres RYM includes in their definition of Progressive Rock, but that was 
9 months ago and I think it could be interesting to repeat it now:

Avant-Prog, incl. Brutal Prog, RIO and Zeuhl
Canterbury Scene
Neo-Prog
Symphonic Prog

https://rateyourmusic.com/genre/progressive-rock/ )

It's also important to tell that besides these sub-genre labels, RYM uses "Progressive Rock" as a separate label and quite 
a lot of albums and artists outside these sub-genres are labeled only as "Progressive Rock" - for instance not least 
King Crimson, Van der Graaf Generator and some Jethro Tull and Pink Floyd albums.

Edited by David_D - October 09 2023 at 04:04
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 242526