Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to define and classify "Progressive Rock"?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 26>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to define and classify "Progressive Rock"?
    Posted: October 01 2023 at 03:08

I've already written in this blog about which sub-genres RYM includes in their definition of Progressive Rock, but that was 
9 months ago and I think it could be interesting to repeat it now:

Avant-Prog, incl. Brutal Prog, RIO and Zeuhl
Canterbury Scene
Neo-Prog
Symphonic Prog

https://rateyourmusic.com/genre/progressive-rock/ )

It's also important to tell that besides these sub-genre labels, RYM uses "Progressive Rock" as a separate label and quite 
a lot of albums and artists outside these sub-genres are labeled only as "Progressive Rock" - for instance not least 
King Crimson, Van der Graaf Generator and some Jethro Tull and Pink Floyd albums.

Edited by David_D - October 09 2023 at 04:04
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2023 at 03:02
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

At this point of time, I'm most into that RYM's definition of Progressive Rock and their use of it (labeling) are the most authoritative ones.

Why do I think so? Well, not least because RYM today is definitely the most used site, also when talking about Progressive Rock alone, and PA being only a much smaller brother which can for instance be illustrated by something I've written in another thread:

"If want to compare PA with RYM with regard to numbers of Prog ratings in general, 156 albums have got at least 1000 ratings on PA, 
while the same amounts to about 600 albums for RYM's "Progressive Rock" and "Progressive Metal" alone which stylistically seen 
is a much narrower perspective than all the albums included on PA.

Methodic explanation:

A term, and not least in the world of art and music, will usually be defined and used in different ways. When considering which 
definition to find the most important and influential, you have not least to look at which one is most used. That's at least 
the typical logic of historians.

Anyway, considering the much growing of numbers of Progressive Rock ratings on RYM which shows to me much interest for 
the genre, and the site's definition of the genre, I feel now definitely more at ease on behalf of Progressive Rock.
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

Sorry, my obsession is probably to counter fallacies in reasoning, and I will probably come over as arrogant - which I probably am -, but let's play...

A term, and not least in the world of art and music, will usually be defined and used in different ways.
That's a platitude. Which is OK, but it is not saying anything, other than going counter to your obstination to privilege the RYM definition of Prog while dismissing PA's definition...

Quote When considering which definition to find the most important and influential, you have not least to look at which one is most used. That's at least the typical logic of historians.
More than once I had the impression that you made statements in domains you clearly don't master. One of them is philosophy and now historiography. You clearly don't know anything about the "logic" of historians. Even in the natural sciences your statement might be much disputed, but I don't think there will be many historians adopting your populist ideology (because that's what it comes down to). It definitely is not the popularity of definitions that move forward the human sciences, but more their efficiency. In historiography there can be very specific definitions that are not used by many others but that still help us to better understand specific (historical) phenomena. Again, it is not about the popularity of a definition, it is about its efficiency and pertinence in order to better understand (and explain) what happened or what a phenomenon is about. And especially when we want to cut back (historical) phenomena to just one popular definition we will be doing a lot of injustice to both history and historiography.

Quote Anyway, considering the much growing of numbers of Progressive Rock ratings on RYM which shows to me much interest for the genre, and the site's definition of the genre, I feel now definitely more at ease on behalf of Progressive Rock.
So now you're talking "on behalf" of Progressive Rock? But apart from that, it is another fallacy to think that from the number of RYM users you could conclude anything about the popularity of the definition of Progressive Rock RYM is giving - I don't think that the RYM users registered because of RYM's definition of Progressive Rock, let alone voted for it (or against it). Your extrapolations are creating realities that don't exist.

Actually, I think you can play better and more clean than this, Kees, but I guess the circumstances are not the best ones.
I wouldn't mind also to hear Lewian's opinion on the matter, but I guess there's the same problem.

Anyway, it was important for me to explain my present position concerning the definition of Progressive Rock, now I'm most into looking at PA as a site for Progressive Music.

Edited by David_D - September 30 2023 at 02:52
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2023 at 17:38
^ I'm going to ignore that with dignity and grace.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2023 at 16:22
^Whoops! I think I mistook it for a sandwich. How long does it take for something to come out the other end?
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2023 at 16:11
^ I'm still waiting for my price-tag gun.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2023 at 14:21
This feels like a good time for a sandwich.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2023 at 14:16
The Mrs Merton Show: "Let's have a heated debate on music." Smile

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2023 at 13:34

One thing, we can agree on here, is that Mosh is "polluting" this thread. LOL

Hi,

Of course ... since you are the GOD of all things progressive, and your musings are so silly ... pollution is only bad when it destroys the idea ... I did not set out to destroy the idea ... it's the thoughts about it that are insane, and not on par with the history of progressive music whatsoever ... your "pollution" is likely more confused than the whole idea and concept of progressive works. You don't even recognize the artistic connections, specially to the early works, which help detail a lot of things ... and your idea and lack of cohesion on the subject of "progressive" anything, is astounding!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2023 at 12:44

David has made it his obsession to hammer his disagreement with PA's basic principle of considering and defining the category of "progressive rock" into every thread where he finds an opportunity. This particular thread is a nice play ground for him, so it would be nice if he could keep his musings about definitions here instead of polluting other threads with it.
Originally posted by Archisorcerus Archisorcerus wrote:

For the sake of fairness...

The entity you defend is an obnoxiously obsessive being who has been polluting a myriad of threads on this forum for a very long time.
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Even a blind squirrel occasionally finds a nut. Guess they were both found.

One thing, we can agree on here, is that Mosh has been "polluting" this thread, but it applies on not so few others. LOL

Edited by David_D - October 05 2023 at 04:26
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2023 at 10:20
Sorry, my obsession is probably to counter fallacies in reasoning, and I will probably come over as arrogant - which I probably am -, but let's play...

A term, and not least in the world of art and music, will usually be defined and used in different ways.
That's a platitude. Which is OK, but it is not saying anything, other than going counter to your obstination to privilege the RYM definition of Prog while dismissing PA's definition...

Quote When considering which definition to find the most important and influential, you have not least to look at which one is most used. That's at least the typical logic of historians.
More than once I had the impression that you made statements in domains you clearly don't master. One of them is philosophy and now historiography. You clearly don't know anything about the "logic" of historians. Even in the natural sciences your statement might be much disputed, but I don't think there will be many historians adopting your populist ideology (because that's what it comes down to). It definitely is not the popularity of definitions that move forward the human sciences, but more their efficiency. In historiography there can be very specific definitions that are not used by many others but that still help us to better understand specific (historical) phenomena. Again, it is not about the popularity of a definition, it is about its efficiency and pertinence in order to better understand (and explain) what happened or what a phenomenon is about. And especially when we want to cut back (historical) phenomena to just one popular definition we will be doing a lot of injustice to both history and historiography.

Quote Anyway, considering the much growing of numbers of Progressive Rock ratings on RYM which shows to me much interest for the genre, and the site's definition of the genre, I feel now definitely more at ease on behalf of Progressive Rock.
So now you're talking "on behalf" of Progressive Rock? But apart from that, it is another fallacy to think that from the number of RYM users you could conclude anything about the popularity of the definition of Progressive Rock RYM is giving - I don't think that the RYM users registered because of RYM's definition of Progressive Rock, let alone voted for it (or against it). Your extrapolations are creating realities that don't exist.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2023 at 08:07

A term, and not least in the world of art and music, will usually be defined and used in different ways. When considering which 
definition to find the most important and influential, you have not least to look at which one is most used. That's at least 
the typical logic of historians.

Anyway, considering the much growing of numbers of Progressive Rock ratings on RYM which shows to me much interest for 
the genre, and the site's definition of the genre, I feel now definitely more at ease on behalf of Progressive Rock.

Edited by David_D - September 28 2023 at 08:07
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2023 at 05:55
Even a blind squirrel occasionally finds a nut. Guess they were both found.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Archisorcerus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2023 at 05:35

^ Hehe. Not sure if it is about fairness and Pedro has his obsessions too, but sometimes he also says some sensible things, as does David, BTW...

Yeah. With the help of my post, it now becomes fair. Wink
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2023 at 05:32
^ Hehe. Not sure if it is about fairness and Pedro has his obsessions too, but sometimes he also says some sensible things, as does David, BTW...

Archisorcerus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2023 at 05:21

David has made it his obsession to hammer his disagreement with PA's basic principle of considering and defining the category of "progressive rock" into every thread where he finds an opportunity. This particular thread is a nice play ground for him, so it would be nice if he could keep his musings about definitions here instead of polluting other threads with it.
For the sake of fairness...

The entity you defend is an obnoxiously obsessive being who has been polluting a myriad of threads on this forum for a very long time.

Snakily bellitling every opinion/stance "it" disagrees with, by commencing its twaddles with either, "I'm not sure if...", or, "It's sad that...", "Sadly, some folks think that..." etc.

Also, let's not forget about how things are about MUSIC, not songs... and countless twaddles like that, which are repeated by that critter at every opportunity.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2023 at 05:18

No, Pedro is not missing the point, he is hitting the nail on his head: David claims that RYM's definition of progressive rock is more authoritative because it has a larger user base than PA. This is a rather absurd - if not dangerous - way of reasoning, as if statistics could procure authority. Tools (statistics)/numbers have no and procure no authority, it is the one who uses or abuses them who might have that authority (I personally consider the Encyclopedia Britannica more authoritative than Wikipedia because it is written by experts and not by "everybody").

It is also fallacious, because RYM and PA have been built upon different grounds: the first a general music database where progressive rock is just a sub-genre like many other genres, where the second takes this sub-genre as the main category and starts its reasoning regarding sub-genres from there (and including sub-genres that elsewhere wouldn't be considered prog). This, of course is a very different entry point into considering music under that specific umbrella.

ClapThumbs Up

Edited by Cristi - September 28 2023 at 05:20
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2023 at 04:47
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

"If want to compare PA with RYM with regard to numbers of Prog ratings in general, 156 albums have got at least 1000 ratings on PA, 
while the same amounts to about 600 albums for RYM's "Progressive Rock" and "Progressive Metal" alone which stylistically seen 

Hi,

The sad thing here is you talking about the NUMBERS as if they mattered more than the reality ...

<snip>

As usual missing the point. He's just saying that RYM has more traffic and more ratings if you want to look at that as being important.

No, Pedro is not missing the point, he is hitting the nail on his head: David claims that RYM's definition of progressive rock is more authoritative because it has a larger user base than PA. This is a rather absurd - if not dangerous - way of reasoning, as if statistics could procure authority. Tools (statistics)/numbers have no and procure no authority, it is the one who uses or abuses them who might have that authority (I personally consider the Encyclopedia Britannica more authoritative than Wikipedia because it is written by experts and not by "everybody").

It is also fallacious, because RYM and PA have been built upon different grounds: the first a general music database where progressive rock is just a sub-genre like many other genres, where the second takes this sub-genre as the main category and starts its reasoning regarding sub-genres from there (and including sub-genres that elsewhere wouldn't be considered prog). This, of course is a very different entry point into considering music under that specific umbrella.

MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2023 at 01:28
^ Judging by how little attention my recent list of 200 potential additional prog releases of 2023 has received, I would say that most users couldn't care less about "actual prog". They're here for the discussions and because it is the most popular "prog-only" music website on the planet. As Al Pacino's character put it in Devil's Advocate: "Vanity - definitely my favorite sin!".
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2023 at 01:24
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

The sad thing here is you talking about the NUMBERS as if they mattered more than the reality ... THE MUSIC.

Obviously you are not interested in the music, and your tastes has to go with the mass of folks and the more "conditioned" side of the popular ideas about music. The only issue I have with RYM's system is that there are at least 30%, maybe more bands that are simply the bedroom variety ... and while I am not stuckup enough to say that no one can do that, the main reason for using the term is that a lot of the music is added, STRICTLY by the sound and its FORMAT ... but you won't see that.

PROGRESSIVE came from experimentation and new ideas, along with an artist side at the time ... today, all you have is the numbers ... which shows how little respect music is getting ... since you can only vote for numbers ... and more numbers ... as if they were the best ... they are the BEST NOTHING there is ... and their "ratings" are a huge mess, and makes it even more difficult to look at a band and their work.

I doubt that you can see that since you only look at numbers ... you refuse to look at the music itself, and PA's style of adding more bands to the database. It isn't perfect, but it is certainly a bit more selective and on par with the ideas of "PROGRESSIVE" ... than RYM will ever be!

And ... I think the RYM forums would give more attention for the nothing you state all the time! Wink

As usual missing the point. He's just saying that RYM has more traffic and more ratings if you want to look at that as being important.

Personally I think PA lost it way when a lot of 'Prog related' stuff made its way to the site. I would like more actual prog to be promoted here , I don't need yet another 2 star review of Queen's Jazz for instance, the point of which escapes me. We could also have selective discographies but I realise just how subjective that is. With Queen they seemingly are only relevant to the prog scene for the first 5 albums and even that link has always felt a bit tenuous in my mind. (sorry an old gripe of mine lol)
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2023 at 07:11

Hi,

The sad thing here is you talking about the NUMBERS as if they mattered more than the reality ... THE MUSIC.

Obviously you are not interested in the music, and your tastes has to go with the mass of folks and the more "conditioned" side of the popular ideas about music. The only issue I have with RYM's system is that there are at least 30%, maybe more bands that are simply the bedroom variety ... and while I am not stuckup enough to say that no one can do that, the main reason for using the term is that a lot of the music is added, STRICTLY by the sound and its FORMAT ... but you won't see that.

PROGRESSIVE came from experimentation and new ideas, along with an artist side at the time ... today, all you have is the numbers ... which shows how little respect music is getting ... since you can only vote for numbers ... and more numbers ... as if they were the best ... they are the BEST NOTHING there is ... and their "ratings" are a huge mess, and makes it even more difficult to look at a band and their work.

I doubt that you can see that since you only look at numbers ... you refuse to look at the music itself, and PA's style of adding more bands to the database. It isn't perfect, but it is certainly a bit more selective and on par with the ideas of "PROGRESSIVE" ... than RYM will ever be!

And ... I think the RYM forums would give more attention for the nothing you state all the time! Wink
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 26>