Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

David Longdon RIP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2021 at 02:09
I can't believe this , seems totally unreal. The music you made is very special to me and will remain so. I didn't know you personally but the music gives me a sense of the warm hearted human being you so obviously were. I will treasure it for ever. RIP Dave.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2021 at 07:01
What a shock, RIP Mr Longdon, your music will live on.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2021 at 07:32
Not a good way to start the week. 
R.I.P David, and thank you for sharing your talent.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
bertolino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bertolino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2021 at 09:38
Shocked... I just can't see how the Trains will go on from this point... 
45 years of prog listening and still movin'
Rottenprogger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rottenprogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2021 at 02:24
Oh wow I'm just learning about this now. 

My heart goes out to his family and friends. Cry
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2021 at 05:48
Such dreadful news.  I think a lot of us are listening to BBT right now and remembering what a great band they had become with David in the line-up.

David Longdons partner has released this lovely message.

From Sarah Ewing:

“I almost wish we were butterflies and lived but three Summer days. Three such days with you, I could fill with more delight than 50 common years could ever contain”
~ John Keats

I am not sure where to begin or what to write. Or even if I should write at all. But the out-pouring of grief has been profound and deeply moving. So I wanted to say something.

To put pay to the rumours, speculation, inaccurate reporting and perhaps to help some of you with your own questions and sense of loss, I can tell you that David had a traumatic fall at our cottage during the early hours of Friday morning. I am not going to share everything which took place. Those intimate details are just for band members, David’s beautiful girls, his Mum and me. But I will tell you that David left this life being held in my arms on Saturday 20th November. I told him how much I loved him, that he was safe and that it was time to take the next step on his great adventure. To be with him during his very last moments is the greatest tragedy and greatest privilege of my life.

I waited all my life for David. He filled up my heart. He was inspirational, thoughtful, kind, generous, gentle, loving and funny. Goodness me, was he funny. We would laugh and laugh every day. He was the best of all men.

He leaves an enormous legacy behind. Not only in terms of his creative output but also the many lives he has touched, the friends he has made and the strong unshakeable brotherhood he shared with Danny, Dave G, Rikard, NDV and of course his dearest Greg.
I know David will always be right by my side. But if I ever feel I need that extra connection, I can always reach for the music. And so can you. Because even though he told us that we will find him in the hedgerow, let me tell you a secret : it’s not true. He’s in the music. That is where you will find him.

Good bye my beautiful boy - until we meet again one day.

X
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2021 at 07:00
Cry
What a touching message.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2021 at 08:47
A beautiful eulogy. God bless this dear woman.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2021 at 08:52
Cry
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2021 at 10:25
Sarah’s beautiful words started me off again yesterday. How brave to do that…. 😥
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2021 at 11:20
 A beautiful message. Thank you for sharing.

Listening to a lot of Train this week, a reminder of what a huge talent we have lost.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
emisan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emisan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2021 at 12:33
CryCryCry
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2021 at 12:38
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

A beautiful message. Thank you for sharing.

Listening to a lot of Train this week, a reminder of what a huge talent we have lost.
Good idea Laz. Time to put the mourning aside for a short time and celibrate the man's musical legacy. I will spin some Train tonight.

Edited by SteveG - November 24 2021 at 12:38
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2021 at 14:29
I went straight to EEFP when I heard on Sunday. Some of the music on that album is just sublime...
tempest_77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2021 at 15:37
Reading Sarah's beautifully written message has moved me to tears (again) over this. It's hard to know what to say or even think about the whole thing.
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2021 at 01:09
Beautiful words indeed from his lovely lady. 
The Proper Jack Froster EP was only released 4 days earlier and has some of the best BBT material since Folkore imo. Just a horribly untimely and tragic event . My thoughts and best wishes go out to his family and friends.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2021 at 06:54
What a lovely tribute from Sarah.
I'll be sad because a great musician from one of my favourite bands has passed on far too early and in tragic circumstances. But first and foremost, David was a person, a partner, a father and a friend to many.
And I am shedding a tear for both reasons.
RIP David and sincere condolences to your family.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2021 at 20:34
Someone posted in another thread that he fell off a ladder, however, I don't think information about the specifics surrounding his death was made public(other than just a fall). There was also speculation that he died in a car accident(which turned out to be false). We do know it was some kind of home accident though. Anyway, RIP David. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - December 01 2021 at 20:35
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2021 at 23:11
Very sad news.

A strange day for me yesterday as I heard of Longdon's passing just a couple of hours after news of my uncle's death.  Some in my family spoke of how shocked they were of my uncle's passing, but Longdon's was the more shocking news to me (as my uncle was aged and in poor health). 

Figured it was a good time to pull out and hear the fantastic English Electric again, in memory. 
Z
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2021 at 10:30
First John Goodsall, now Longdon. Who's next (they say they go in threes)? Sad.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>