Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Greetings from New York City

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuzvihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greetings from New York City
    Posted: December 07 2021 at 12:50
Hello, fellow Niemen fan! Handshake
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2021 at 13:58
New York City bands

Gutbucket
Dr Nerve

Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2021 at 13:55
Originally posted by enigmatic enigmatic wrote:

Icy Norway, very high on my "places to visit" list, but most likely not this year or next.

Massacre was founded in NYC in 1980 by Fred Frith, Bill Laswell and Fred Maher. They played on Side. 2 of Fred's solo album "Speechless". True story- I've met once Fred's daughter in Tower Records on Broadway. She came over to talk to me while I was browsing through Fred Frith CDs. She picked up "Speechless" CD and she said "do you know that this is me on the cover". We had a very nice conversation about her father who I had a chance to see live in 1984 during Skeleton Crew concert, with Tom Cora.

yes, Massacre are related to Material. oh, and I completely forgot to welcome you to the forum. I hope you will like it here

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
enigmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enigmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2021 at 13:28
Icy Norway, very high on my "places to visit" list, but most likely not this year or next.

Massacre was founded in NYC in 1980 by Fred Frith, Bill Laswell and Fred Maher. They played on Side. 2 of Fred's solo album "Speechless". True story- I've met once Fred's daughter in Tower Records on Broadway. She came over to talk to me while I was browsing through Fred Frith CDs. She picked up "Speechless" CD and she said "do you know that this is me on the cover". We had a very nice conversation about her father who I had a chance to see live in 1984 during Skeleton Crew concert, with Tom Cora.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2021 at 12:54
Hello and wellcome to PA, been to NYC twice and seen New York State from Ontarian border, im from the cold north, the icy Norway.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2021 at 12:34
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

^ NYC music scene over time has been beyond mind-blowing.

Love John Zorn stuff, the no wave craze, lots of good metal

I can think of a million bands from NYC but how about prog?

I can't think of any at the moment!

Material are a band from New York. they were the backing band of Daevid Allen for the New York Gong album too

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2021 at 12:14

Izz and Frogg Cafe.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2021 at 11:24
Hello & Welcome . I am in North Jersey about 30 miles from NYC.
 Enjoy the forum ! 

enigmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enigmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2021 at 11:15

I heard that Todd Rundgren's Utopia was formed in NYC, but I can't really confirm that.
Few bands that I know are from NY state, not far from New York City.
Not necessarily prog-rock, but prog related - Blue Oyster Cult is from Stony Brook NY - about 1 hour east of NYC.
Morgen - psychedelic rock with 1 album released in 1969 was also from Long Island.
Coheed and Cambria is from Nyack, NY - about 45 min north of NYC.

Edited by enigmatic - December 06 2021 at 11:26
enigmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enigmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2021 at 11:09
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Old Quebec City is a real charm, and great food up and down the strip.
JD - Believe it or not, I had all planned and reserved to visit Quebec City twice already. Never happened. 
4 years ago, I injured my lower back, had to cancel everything. July, year ago - I had to cancel it again because of the pandemic. Maybe third time's a charm?
Best regards JD.
enigmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enigmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2021 at 11:03
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Who are you on Gnosis? I'm Ian Carss on there.
I am the only guy with MK initials - with Slavic sounding first name. Smile 
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2021 at 10:45
I'm in Boston and have come down to NYC a few times for concerts. I have a number of prog friends on NYC but I don't know any on PA. 

Who are you on Gnosis? I'm Ian Carss on there.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2021 at 10:17

siLLy puPPy - not only I like, I love the sound of saxophone. Debut album by Fear was recorded in famous Sound City Studios. Recently I watched a documentary about Sound City, produced/directed by Dave Grohl. Lee Ving (vocals, guitar in Fear) was interviewed in this documentary. Highly recommended, at least first half of it.

And...greetings to you from cloudy NYC.
Sax you say ??

Edited by JD - December 06 2021 at 10:18
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2021 at 10:15

Well JD, each of my visits to Canada was always a great experience. Skiing in Mont Tremblant, tourist visit to Toronto and Montreal, seeing Niagara Falls from Canadian side and couple business trips to Calgary. Awesome dinning experience in Hy's Steakhouse in Calgary.
What part of Canada are you from?
Ontario, 1.5 hrs NW of TO. Sounds like your visits have been good ones so far. My recommendations would be Collingwood ON for skiing or if you're adventurous Banff AB. And while Montreal is nice, Old Quebec City is a real charm, and great food up and down the strip.
Cheers
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2021 at 10:08
^ NYC music scene over time has been beyond mind-blowing.

Love John Zorn stuff, the no wave craze, lots of good metal

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
enigmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enigmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2021 at 09:37
siLLy puPPy - not only I like, I love the sound of saxophone. Debut album by Fear was recorded in famous Sound City Studios. Recently I watched a documentary about Sound City, produced/directed by Dave Grohl. Lee Ving (vocals, guitar in Fear) was interviewed in this documentary. Highly recommended, at least first half of it.

And...greetings to you from cloudy NYC.
enigmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enigmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2021 at 09:12
Well JD, each of my visits to Canada was always a great experience. Skiing in Mont Tremblant, tourist visit to Toronto and Montreal, seeing Niagara Falls from Canadian side and couple business trips to Calgary. Awesome dinning experience in Hy's Steakhouse in Calgary.
What part of Canada are you from?
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2021 at 09:10
Greetings from the West Coast!

Love this NYC song! LOL

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2021 at 08:48
Nope, but I've been there twice. And it was a great experience each time.
Welcome to the 'active forums'. ELP's first album was also monumental in my exposure to prog rock.
Here is just one of he many photos I took while on a visit to your fair city.

enigmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote enigmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2021 at 07:55
Hello all,

New to PA forum, but not new to prog-rock or PA. I've been using PA since it was created, mostly for research purposes, to find new, lesser know bands/albums or something new to buy.
I grew up on progressive rock in small eastern European country. My older brother got me hooked on the bands like ELP, KC, Genesis, Pink Floyd, Yes. My first exposure to prog-rock - probably in early 1971 when he brought home 2 LPs borrowed from his high school friend: ITCOTCK and ELP debut. And that was just the beginning.
My favorite years in music: 1970-75. I listed my favorite 10 bands in one of the PA Polls.
I've been rating the albums on Gnosis2000 for many, many years now. 

What am I looking to get out of this PA forum experience?
Looking for long-lasting friendship with people who have similar taste in music.
Just curious - any PA members who are located in NYC?

Post Reply Post Reply