5 [7.04%]
4 [5.63%]
5 [7.04%]
1 [1.41%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Genesis re-evaluated
    Posted: December 07 2021 at 06:49
'The Last Domino' tour appears to have sparked a re-evaluation of their later albums as a trio (* excluding the anomalous 'Calling All Stations')  
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2021 at 06:59
And Then There Were Three
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2021 at 07:22
And then there were three.

Great album, I've always loved it. It would be in my Genesis top 5.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2021 at 07:31
Is it anywhere? Do they stop and stare? Do they really care?

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2021 at 07:38
ATTWT gets the nod for this round.
The last bit of prog left in the band ;-)
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2021 at 07:40
ATTWT by a margin from Duke..

I've always felt a bit sorry for this album which deserves more love than it gets... the style is still more in keeping with W&W, but the absence of Steve is glaring, requiring the songs to be structurally simpler. I think they should have replaced him in the band.

The other opportunity missed was on Three Sides Live.. the first disk treats the better material from Duke & Abacab very well and ironically I prefer it to the 2nd which admittedly had older, better material on it, but is a bit of a medley hotch-potch from 1980 & 1976.. I wish they had given up some of this space to some of the better tracks from ATTWT, especially Down & Out, Burning Rope & SFAND, which would have made the live album more coherent and raised the profile of a relatively unloved studio offering...
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2021 at 07:43
None of them enthuse me much. None are outright bad and all contain some good music, but all contain too much indifferent material.
If pushed, I'd probably vote for ATTWT, but I just can't be arsed.

Edited by Hercules - December 07 2021 at 07:44
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2021 at 07:46
easily Duke--although I like them all---I agree with Tony on ATTWT----it lacks Hackett and you can tell--would have been a classic with his input....but with DUKE they find their footing as a 3 piece and the Duke suite is great.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2021 at 07:53
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

I've always felt a bit sorry for this album which deserves more love than it gets... the style is still more in keeping with W&W, but the absence of Steve is glaring, requiring the songs to be structurally simpler. I think they should have replaced him in the band.

The other opportunity missed was on Three Sides Live.. the first disk treats the better material from Duke & Abacab very well and ironically I prefer it to the 2nd which admittedly had older, better material on it, but is a bit of a medley hotch-potch from 1980 & 1976.. I wish they had given up some of this space to some of the better tracks from ATTWT, especially Down & Out, Burning Rope & SFAND, which would have made the live album more coherent and raised the profile of a relatively unloved studio offering...

I agree regarding TSL. Inclusion of The Lady Lies and Burning Rope at the very least would have made for a better package.

By all accounts they only ever played Down & Out a couple of times, before dropping it from the 1978 live set. Legend has it, that Chester didn't like the way he played it, compared to how Collins played it in the studio, and the track lost some of its 'vibe' live. I didn't think it too bad..

Down & Out live

The German tribute band The Farm play a good version.

The Farm - Down & Out
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
VianaProghead View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VianaProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2021 at 08:00
Definitely "...And Then There Were Three...".

In my opinion this is their last album still with prog lines all over it. It has shorter songs but where it can reminds us the Genesis prog style, despite the absence of the guitar of Hackett.

Edited by VianaProghead - December 07 2021 at 08:00
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2021 at 08:06
Hi,

I think I'm getting old and tired ....... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2021 at 10:45
The trio albums, ranked best to worst:

1) Abacab
2) Duke
3) Genesis (Shapes)
4) And then there were three
5) We can't dance
6) Invisible Touch
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2021 at 11:01
ATTWT is a prog album with strong pop leanings as opposed the rest which are pop albums with scattered prog leanings.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2021 at 11:17
Duke for me here but I do like several tracks on Abacab & shapes as well.

Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2021 at 11:52
...and then there were three... But none of them are in my favorite list.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2021 at 14:03
Duke is the only worthy one. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2021 at 14:17
Still get a thrill listening to Duke. Marvellous album, although there are strong points and tracks in all of them.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2021 at 14:32
The first (ATTW3) still had a bit of Hackett color and imagery in it (though that was quickly lost afterwards). Even in some of the solos - like Burning Rope - Mikey did his best to keep the spirit going.

Edited by Boojieboy - December 07 2021 at 14:44
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2021 at 14:33
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

Yup. Wink

And though Duke has got some better moments, it's also got some pretty bad ones (at least, FYFH was easily skipped on ATTWT). One of the things that really struck back then was the meaning of ATTWT's opening track Down & Out. 

I actually disliked both albums upon release time (given what they'd given up), but as time wore on, both grew a bit on me. I've even done a CDr compilation some 20 years ago with 80% from those two albums and three tracks from Shape's A-side.
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2021 at 14:37
ATTWT followed by Duke. It's pretty close though.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>